Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Neurosis posted:

Optimism helps us to function when we are objectively wretched. I can see arguments for it being a useful trait. There are studies going either way on depressive realism, so its veracity is far from accepted (I find it an amusing hypothesis and as a depressive person it wouldn't surprise me at all).
As a fellow depressive person I think I agree. Ive passed on my genes and there is no use for me at the moment in terms of the species. Id just go jump off a cliff if I thought there wasnt a glimer of hope of something getting better while objectively I pretty much know it wont.

Apart from maybe the next book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Some studies suggest that even depressive people are overly optimistic. If only we could be more rational so we would realise the wisdom of your suggestion. :v:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
You're all thinking too broad - this is more towards specific situations, the: "Yeah, I can totally make that jump" and the "Oh, it's just down the street, I don't need to buckle up". People tend to dramatically under estimate the probability of something bad happening to them after they expose themselves to danger and nothing happens. It's the: "I don't need to wear my helmet, I've ridden my motorcycle a hundred times and never been in an accident!" line of thinking.

Some people are awful about this. I knew this one chick who never wore protective gear riding her bike, and the one time I actually convinced her to she got in a minor spill. She was completely uninjured thanks to her helmet, but her primitive mammal brain associated wearing the helmet with getting in the accident and she never wore it again.

edit: Not to get too off topic, some of the end parts of Excession confused me. For example, why does the Not Invented Here suicide itself? The Attitude Adjuster offed itself because it...reasons (The shame of being wrong? The possibility that it had made the whole thing up?) , but it's not like Not Invented Here is guilty of gigadeathcrime or something. How would it even be punished?

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 19, 2012

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

I just reread Player of Games and I had a question about the Epilogue.

After my first reading I had assumed Mawhrin-Skel got rehoused into a new body as Flere-Imsaho, but on this pass through I got more of the impression that Flere-Imsaho created Mawhrin-Skel as a fake drone to help convince Gurgeh to play Azad based on the shape and size of the missing bit from Mawhrin-Skel's body matching the game piece that he crushed earlier. Anyone else have any thoughts?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Beffer posted:

Anyone read Stonemouth yet? It's in my local bookstore, but I'm a bit iffy on the non-ski fi Banks books. The last few have been pretty bleh.

I read it and liked it (needed something on the plane) but I don't really have much to compare it to since I've not read his other non-sci-fi stuff.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

wins32767 posted:

After my first reading I had assumed Mawhrin-Skel got rehoused into a new body as Flere-Imsaho, but on this pass through I got more of the impression that Flere-Imsaho created Mawhrin-Skel as a fake drone to help convince Gurgeh to play Azad based on the shape and size of the missing bit from Mawhrin-Skel's body matching the game piece that he crushed earlier. Anyone else have any thoughts?

I took it to mean that everything, right down to Mawhrin-Skel's very existence, was an SC trick, and Gurgeh got played from start to finish.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Saw Banks speak at Cambridge the other week, and thoroughly enjoyed it. My friend and I were both surprised at the average age of the audience (which was probably significantly lowered by the two of us) but then I guess he was there as just Iain Banks, talking about a non-sci-fi book (Stonemouth).

He began the session with a short reading from chapter four, which contains the line 'You'd fist a skunk if you thought there was a drink in it'. This was met with a stony silence by the rather elderly audience of the Cambridge Literary Festival, who seemed to struggle to understand Iain's accent. I, however, sniggered quite loudly which was rather embarrassing.

Anyway, he said that his next M-less novel he hopes to make a bit more sci-fi like, a bit like the The Bridge.

Other than that he said some pretty interesting stuff about how he comes up with his ideas, but mostly just about fisting skunks

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

wins32767 posted:

I think your first reading is more on target. Mawhrin-Skel and Flere-Imsaho are clearly the same drone. In the same way Flere was masquerading as a harmless, dumb piece of junk in Azad it was earlier pretending to be this misanthropic, SC reject. I took the missing piece from Mawhrin-Skel's casing to be shaped like Flere-Imsaho not the crushed game piece, but I may have mis-remembered that.

Red Crown posted:

edit: Not to get too off topic, some of the end parts of Excession confused me. For example, why does the Not Invented Here suicide itself? The Attitude Adjuster offed itself because it...reasons (The shame of being wrong? The possibility that it had made the whole thing up?) , but it's not like Not Invented Here is guilty of gigadeathcrime or something. How would it even be punished?

Minds seem to take the approval of their peers very seriously. The punishment would likely be ostracism and the GSV equivalent of a slap-drone. Remember, Attitude Adjuster was one of its child ships, so it had a hand in duping the Pittance Fleet and provoking a war. It may not have resulted in megadeaths, but it might as well be the same thing as far as Minds are concerned in terms of gross irresponsibility.

As for the Attitude Adjuster... it most certainly didn't commit suicide. And I'm not talking about how the Killing Time putting it out of its misery after the battle. ;)

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Red Crown posted:

beaten by Lasting Damage, but oh well:

The Not Invented Here is one of the leaders of the conspiracy to take the Affront down a couple notches by entrapping them somehow. It (along with the Different Tan) was one of the Minds responsible for the selection of the asteroids that would become weapon stores, and as such was one of the ones who made sure that Pittance would be drifting through Affront space in the next few hundred years. The conspiracy was waiting for something to happen where Affront aggression wouldn't look too uncharacteristic, use a ship like Attitude Adjuster to take control of the Mind on Pittance, and then give the warships (who have been told a different story about a Culture/Affront alliance) to the command of the Affront, who would do something terrible with them that would provoke a harsh pushback from the Culture, thereby finally realizing the goal of the conspiracy to make the Affront less of an affront to the Culture's morals.

The excession is the something that the conspiracy has been waiting for (for hundreds of years): A plausible reason for the Affront to become aggressive and try something like stealing a couple hundred Culture warships. So, the Not Invented Here, which has made itself Event Coordinator for the whole excession thing, kills itself because it is obvious that the plan has failed and that it was one of the plans masterminds. It didn't kill anyone directly, but it was responsible for the effects of the brief Culture/Affront war that it helped provoke, as well as the less than morally acceptable plan to have that war go on, end badly for the Affront (as it only could), and result in strict sanctions on Affront culture.

It killed itself because after being found out the rest of its life would be empty. It would be followed everywhere, have its even semi dangerous systems/capabilities removed, and nobody would ever want to talk to a war criminal. Basically it would be in solitary confinement, probably forever.

WARNING, MORE SPOILERY THAN LASTING DAMAGE'S ANSWER. This will tell you straight up what happened. The Attitude Adjuster, on the other hand, dies for a different reason. If you read that passage again (and some of the stuff that comes after) it becomes clear that the Killing Time invaded the Mind of the Attitude Adjuster, got as much info about the conspiracy as it could out of it, took the mindstate of the murdered Gestra Ishmethit, and then intentionally bent the Attitude Adjuster's thoughts in a direction that would lead to 'suicide.' What it did is considered hateful and dishonorable by the other warships of the Pittance fleet, who see what happened.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I have no idea how that slipped passed me. Wow, thanks. I must have put it down and then picked up starting at a later paragraph.

I guess that all makes sense. I still feel like that somewhat contradicts Banks' characterization of the Minds, Infinite Fun Space, and how their connection to actual reality was somewhat limited. I figured Not Invented Here would just retreat to the depths of it's own core and live out its days.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I feel the same way. He straight up says "Infinite Fun Space is where Minds live, and they think about the real universe simply as the substrate that allows their physical selves to exist and create these virtual multiverses. They do things in the real universe mostly to make sure they can continue to create/experience Infinite Fun Space." In his other writings/books Minds take more of an interest in the real universe for the things it contains. One of the biggest counterexamples is one of the plots of Excession itself: the Sleeper Service trying to get Genar-Hofoen and Dajeil Gelian to meet and come to some sort of peace. It cares very much about their lives/relationship and the mistake it felt it had made in helping them get together. Their relationship status couldn't have very much to do with the sustinence of IFS. So there's that. And of course the Mind of the Lasting Damage in Look to Windward is shown to be very sympathetic to the humans/life it watches over. I guess loving Infinite Fun Space (and spending a lot of time there) and caring deeply about the real universe, even down to the level of individual humans, aren't mutually exclusive for a Mind. It does sort of make sense: what self respecting hyperbeing with godlike powers would neglect any aspect of its life, internal or external? If you could do anything almost flawlessly, why wouldn't you?

e: I guess the Not Invented Here wouldn't be ok with just living in IFS, since it obviously does care very much about the real universe: Enough to risk its own life and reputation to help come up with the conspiracy. Presumably the suffering inflicted on other sentients by the Affront bothered it enough to try what it did, which in a way is sad and noble. Its reaction to the failure of the plan, in that light, seems somewhat understandable.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 20, 2012

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Prolonged Priapism posted:

I guess loving Infinite Fun Space (and spending a lot of time there) and caring deeply about the real universe, even down to the level of individual humans, aren't mutually exclusive for a Mind. It does sort of make sense: what self respecting hyperbeing with godlike powers would neglect any aspect of its life, internal or external? If you could do anything almost flawlessly, why wouldn't you?

I'd say you've hit the nail exactly on the head, there. They're close to gods, and on the far side. I'd imagine they're perfectly capable of dealing with and caring about the internal and external universe at the same time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
In Excession it talks about how Minds deliberately set minders for themselves to make sure they don't get completely caught up in IFS. The reasoning is more "no matter how awesome this is, someone could still pull the plug for boring, bland, ugly, unfashionable realspace" than "we can make both equally interesting" though, at least for most Minds.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In Excession it talks about how Minds deliberately set minders for themselves to make sure they don't get completely caught up in IFS. The reasoning is more "no matter how awesome this is, someone could still pull the plug for boring, bland, ugly, unfashionable realspace" than "we can make both equally interesting" though, at least for most Minds.
I honestly wish he hadn't introduced infinite fun space, it's kind of dumb and doesn't add much to the mystique of minds. I still think the best portrayal of a mind was masaq hub in look to windward.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

I honestly wish he hadn't introduced infinite fun space, it's kind of dumb and doesn't add much to the mystique of minds. I still think the best portrayal of a mind was masaq hub in look to windward.

Have you ever played a computer game?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm working my way through the culture novels and just finished Use of Weapons. I didn't have any problem following the narrative structure but I read it in short bursts over a long period of time so please humor me and tell me if I got the whole thing right.

The chapters that deal with Zakalwe's life growing up are from the perspective of the real Zakalwe who grew up with his two sisters and Elethiomel, the son of a rebel faction leader who later led that faction to a bloody victory. Everything after Zakalwe shoots himself is from the perspective of Elethiomel, who calls himself Zakalwe even in his internal monologue. Where I get confused is with the bone chip in his heart, I swear it gets referenced in the real Zakalwe chapters and the Elethiomel chapters. Was I missing something? Did Elethiomel have a psychotic break and really believe he was Zakalwe?

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Gangringo posted:

I'm working my way through the culture novels and just finished Use of Weapons. I didn't have any problem following the narrative structure but I read it in short bursts over a long period of time so please humor me and tell me if I got the whole thing right.

The chapters that deal with Zakalwe's life growing up are from the perspective of the real Zakalwe who grew up with his two sisters and Elethiomel, the son of a rebel faction leader who later led that faction to a bloody victory. Everything after Zakalwe shoots himself is from the perspective of Elethiomel, who calls himself Zakalwe even in his internal monologue. Where I get confused is with the bone chip in his heart, I swear it gets referenced in the real Zakalwe chapters and the Elethiomel chapters. Was I missing something? Did Elethiomel have a psychotic break and really believe he was Zakalwe?

The bone chip is mentioned in chapter VII going into "his" body, which is deliberately vague after a chapter where everyone is constantly referred to by name. Whoever 'he' is is the same person dying on the shore of the caldera and remembering their past. As far as Elethiomel's reasons for using his brother's name, I got the feeling that he's very aware of what he's done and he has regrets about it. But given the type of person he is, he would do it all again. Contact use him because he is capable of doing anything to win.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

^

Esposito posted:

Contact use him because he is capable of doing anything to win.

I thought Contact had no idea? Sma certainly didn't.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

^

I thought Contact had no idea? Sma certainly didn't.

Perhaps not Diziet, but her erstwhile companion, I think so.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
I took it as neither of them knew about his past because of the epilogue. They pick up people for SC in such dire situations offering them something that would be impossible for them to get any other way, so even if those people had done horrible things they were ashamed of they'd lie to avoid the possibility of that offer being rescinded.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Esposito posted:

But given the type of person he is, he would do it all again. Contact use him because he is capable of doing anything to win.
This is something easy to miss because of the book's weird chronology, but the point of the Winter Palace scene is that Zakalwe won't do it all again, and as a result, Contact won't use him. In the Winter Palace they are besieged just like on the Staberinde, and later we are told Contact expected him to do something outrageous to break out...only for him to botch the operation. I don't have my copy of the book handy but they say something like, "He just couldn't get it done." (Although it's hard to believe the Culture wouldn't have backtracked and researched his past when they first recruited him, my take is if they had known, they wouldn't have been so surprised at his failure at the Winter Palace).

Once you've read the whole book you can see that his experiences as an agent for SC, and just the passage of time, have made him want to be a better person and reject his old attitude about, er, the use of weapons. At first, he's content to keep fighting no holds barred so long as he has faith that the cause is noble, but eventually he becomes skeptical that the ends justify the means. His guilt won't let him simply retire to a quiet life, but he won't do whatever it takes any more. To SC, this means he's burnt out and useless...worse than useless, in fact. A menace, since he's trying to help people but won't mindlessly follow orders from Minds. They only recruit him for the "present day" episode in Use of Weapons because of his personal connection with the politician (so close that he had told him about the Staberinde).

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

Lex Talionis posted:

This is something easy to miss because of the book's weird chronology, but the point of the Winter Palace scene is that Zakalwe won't do it all again, and as a result, Contact won't use him. In the Winter Palace they are besieged just like on the Staberinde, and later we are told Contact expected him to do something outrageous to break out...only for him to botch the operation. I don't have my copy of the book handy but they say something like, "He just couldn't get it done." (Although it's hard to believe the Culture wouldn't have backtracked and researched his past when they first recruited him, my take is if they had known, they wouldn't have been so surprised at his failure at the Winter Palace).

Once you've read the whole book you can see that his experiences as an agent for SC, and just the passage of time, have made him want to be a better person and reject his old attitude about, er, the use of weapons. At first, he's content to keep fighting no holds barred so long as he has faith that the cause is noble, but eventually he becomes skeptical that the ends justify the means. His guilt won't let him simply retire to a quiet life, but he won't do whatever it takes any more. To SC, this means he's burnt out and useless...worse than useless, in fact. A menace, since he's trying to help people but won't mindlessly follow orders from Minds. They only recruit him for the "present day" episode in Use of Weapons because of his personal connection with the politician (so close that he had told him about the Staberinde).

Aren't the prologue and epilogue set after the last chapter? He has the shaved head in both and he still seems to be a culture agent.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Gangringo posted:

Aren't the prologue and epilogue set after the last chapter? He has the shaved head in both and he still seems to be a culture agent.
Again I don't have the book handy but I think we're supposed to assume he's operating on his own, like he was at the start of the novel and like he is...uh...well, I can't double spoiler tag, so let's just say like he is in the other Culture book in which he appears. Special Circumstances' assessment of him in that other book seems little changed from Skaffen Amtiskaw's attitude talking to Sma on the Xenophobe.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I just read my first Banks book, Consider Phlebas. I didn't recognize it as a reference to The Waste Land, so first of all I was wondering what the heck a Phlebas was, a planet, a character, a concept... Who knows! It was frustrating waiting for the title to be explained and it never was.

Anyway now I'm bummed as heck. This book bummed me out. I thought I was bummed out before but then I read the epilogue: oh yeah the only survivor commits suicide twice. The first time as like a protest, almost a joke, the second when she woke up years later unexpectedly. Everyone died. No point to anything. Slit your wrists, all effort is futile. Nothing matters.

You say Player of Games is "better"?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Do people seriously not read the epigrams at the beginning of books?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I bought it on kindle, kindle auto-opens it to chapter one page one. I didn't know there was an epigram! How was I to know to click backwards three times?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I've read Player of Games, Use of Weapons, and Consider Phlebas. I enjoyed PoG so much more than Consider Phlebas that I'm annoyed I started with CP.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I dunno, I liked Consider Phlebas, I think it's a good story. It's very different in tone from the other culture novels I've read but I think it works well as a straight sci-fi adventure.

The difference seems to be that you could make Consider Phlebas into a feature length movie and it would be two hours of awesome, but most of the other books would need to be a mini-series, and even then you wouldn't get half of the story.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Krinkle posted:

I just read my first Banks book, Consider Phlebas. I didn't recognize it as a reference to The Waste Land, so first of all I was wondering what the heck a Phlebas was, a planet, a character, a concept... Who knows! It was frustrating waiting for the title to be explained and it never was.

Anyway now I'm bummed as heck. This book bummed me out. I thought I was bummed out before but then I read the epilogue: oh yeah the only survivor commits suicide twice. The first time as like a protest, almost a joke, the second when she woke up years later unexpectedly. Everyone died. No point to anything. Slit your wrists, all effort is futile. Nothing matters.

You say Player of Games is "better"?

Player of Games is a much happier book, I would definitely recommend reading it - not just because it's a more enjoyable read, but because it'll help cheer up your perception of the whole Culture universe.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I would also like to note there is at least one other survivor at the end of Consider Phlebas, you artificial sentience-hating bigot! :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Entropic posted:

Do people seriously not read the epigrams at the beginning of books?

I was thinking exactly that...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Krinkle posted:

I bought it on kindle, kindle auto-opens it to chapter one page one. I didn't know there was an epigram! How was I to know to click backwards three times?
My kindle doesn't? Not disputing what you've said but that's pretty weird.

If anything, PoG is more cheery, if only at the start. As it starts getting further and further in its gets grimmer and grimmer, which is something I love about Banks' books.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Flipswitch posted:

My kindle doesn't? Not disputing what you've said but that's pretty weird.

If anything, PoG is more cheery, if only at the start. As it starts getting further and further in its gets grimmer and grimmer, which is something I love about Banks' books.
I've seen that behavior before too in the Kindle app - I think some books have a starting position encoded in them.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

General Battuta posted:

Player of Games is a much happier book, I would definitely recommend reading it - not just because it's a more enjoyable read, but because it'll help cheer up your perception of the whole Culture universe.

At least until everything goes to hell in a handbasket, but yeah I guess it's an happy ending in a way.

Anyway, definitely read the rest of the Culture books Krinkle, Consider Phlebas is the weakest of the lot (not counting State of the Art which isn't a novel anyway).

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I think player of games is the most uplifting because of when the sc drone gives Gurgeh access to all the hidden media streams it psychs him up to completely annihilate the emperor its almost like a rocky film!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MeLKoR posted:

At least until everything goes to hell in a handbasket, but yeah I guess it's an happy ending in a way.

Player of Games definitely has a happy ending.

Gurgeh grows and matures as a person, an evil empire is bought down, a drone is revealed as being totally awesome

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

I think player of games is the most uplifting because of when the sc drone gives Gurgeh access to all the hidden media streams it psychs him up to completely annihilate the emperor its almost like a rocky film!

Yeah the bit written from the Emperor's perspective is absolutely awesome, really grabs the attention and (despite the fact they're sat playing the game) gets the adrenaline flowing.

I'm recently coming in to reading M Banks after adoring the straight fiction for a very long time. Really really enjoyed use of weapons and thought the section described by the spoilers above was brilliant.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Player of Games definitely has a happy ending.

Gurgeh grows and matures as a person, an evil empire is bought down, a drone is revealed as being totally awesome

Definitely happy in the long run, I mean... probably. In the immediate future the Azadians are going to go through a civil war that's probably going to rip their empire apart so for the people that'll have to live it through things probably won't be all that happy.
See also: Chelgrians; Iraq; etc

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Krinkle posted:

Always click back with a Kindle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

MeLKoR posted:

Anyway, definitely read the rest of the Culture books Krinkle, Consider Phlebas is the weakest of the lot (not counting State of the Art which isn't a novel anyway).

What... State of the Art is the most artistically relevant story \banks has written.

• Locked thread