Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Momomo posted:

I really hate his AC design. They apparently spent a really long time figuring out what he should look like, but in the end Nomura just went "Black. Make it all black."

Still slightly better than Tifa's though, which I'm not even sure you can call a "design".

Believe it or not, I kinda like Tifa's AC design. That skirt thing is stupid as hell, but otherwise it looks sensible.

Ninja edit: Although now that I think about it, her costume is too black as well. But I still like it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Viola the Mad posted:

Believe it or not, I kinda like Tifa's AC design. That skirt thing is stupid as hell, but otherwise it looks sensible.

Ninja edit: Although now that I think about it, her costume is too black as well. But I still like it. :colbert:

You mean her skort? I actually thought it was pretty cool, a compromise between her practicality and actual characterization.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
She has a butt-cape. There's no other word for it.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
You act like a butt-cape isn't cool.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
The lion thing always reminds me of a door knocker.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

darealkooky posted:

The lion thing always reminds me of a door knocker.

That's what I thought it was the first time I saw it. I don't imagine it would be comfortable to have something like that on your shirt.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cool Ghost posted:

That's what I thought it was the first time I saw it. I don't imagine it would be comfortable to have something like that on your shirt.

He also has matching earrings, the shameless Square Enix shill.

Which of course they have merchandise for. :rolleyes:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, watching this LP really drove it home to me that how badly Clouds personality went to poo poo in the EU..

Although I shouldn't be too surprised considering that the Turks were turned into goofy, lovable scamps in Advent Children. (Advent Children spoiler)

Greyscale Skies
Nov 23, 2010

GrizzlyCow posted:

You act like a butt-cape isn't cool.

This guy knows what's up.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Greyscale Skies posted:

This guy knows what's up.

The one character who needs a zipper or belt and lacks both. Where's Nomura when you need him?

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

She has a butt-cape. There's no other word for it.

Like I said, the skirt thing is pretty dumb. But take that away, and she's dressed like a normal person. Shorts, sneakers, shirt, vest. I could picture seeing someone dressed like that on the street. I don't mind her original design, but I'd much prefer regular shorts to tiny miniskirt, especially given that she kills monsters by punching and kicking them.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Honestly, I thought Cloud's AC design was pretty decent. His clothes had real, believable texture, and if the door knocker had been an ornamental buckle or the ring had some purpose it would be cool as hell. The merchandizing aspect of it was pretty lovely, but I also can't blame them.

I guess what I'm saying is that for Nomura, it showed a lot of restraint and actual taste.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Pesky Splinter posted:

Which of course they have merchandise for. :rolleyes:

It's funny because the official earrings were a lot worse quality than the ones fans made.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
I was thinking about omnislash and the other L4 limits and had a question: How come sometimes you can't make the right character learn them? I'm sure I had some refuse to learn them.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Grimlook posted:

I was thinking about omnislash and the other L4 limits and had a question: How come sometimes you can't make the right character learn them? I'm sure I had some refuse to learn them.

You have to have learned all of their other limits first before they'll decide they're cool enough to use their world ending powers.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
What bugs me about Cloud's AC design is the question of where the gently caress he got those clothes? I mean, they are obviously based kinda on the clothes he wore in FF7 (the polonecked shirt thing, the shoulder pad etc) only different. The thing is, those clothes he wears in FF7 are a SOLDIER uniform. He's wearing military dress. Did he go into some Sector 3 tailor and ask them specifically to make some kind of watered down goth version of his old military clothes? Is he basically just Midgar's own version of Gerard Way?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Prison Warden posted:

Is he basically just Midgar's own version of Gerard Way?

When I was, a young boy,
My Mama, took me into Midgar city,
To see Heidegger's band,
She said, "Son when you grow up
Will you be a SOLDIER,
Or in AVALANCHE?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Prison Warden posted:

What bugs me about Cloud's AC design is the question of where the gently caress he got those clothes? I mean, they are obviously based kinda on the clothes he wore in FF7 (the polonecked shirt thing, the shoulder pad etc) only different. The thing is, those clothes he wears in FF7 are a SOLDIER uniform. He's wearing military dress. Did he go into some Sector 3 tailor and ask them specifically to make some kind of watered down goth version of his old military clothes? Is he basically just Midgar's own version of Gerard Way?

I'm sure that the dress maker back in the Wall Market would be willing to make Cloud new clothes in exchange for Cloud modelling some of his dresses. I kind of like the idea of Cloud paying for his goth ensemble by parading through town in a brightly colored dress.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I'm sure that the dress maker back in the Wall Market would be willing to make Cloud new clothes in exchange for Cloud modelling some of his dresses. I kind of like the idea of Cloud paying for his goth ensemble by parading through town in a brightly colored dress.

This is why he's wearing black and is so moody. He's compensating for his nightlife as Ms. Cloud, trying to project a broody and manly image so people won't stop him in the street to tell him how much they loved him in Wall Market's Spring Floral Collection.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It's still baffling to see how much his character has been changed over the years. I wonder if there's anyone that was first exposed to Cloud from the post VII stuff, and then played VII and found the crossdressing part.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Question please: How many of the writers left Squaresoft after their merger with Enix?

It seems like Final Fantasy has been going in a completely different direction since the merger.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

GrizzlyCow posted:

Question please: How many of the writers left Squaresoft after their merger with Enix?

It seems like Final Fantasy has been going in a completely different direction since the merger.

According to Wikipedia "At the time [of the merge, 2003], 80% of Square Enix staff were made up of former Square Co. employees.", but it seems that over the years, half of the Square Product Development Division heads have left.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'd put it largely down to Hironobu Sakaguchi leaving. Since other major producers/writers/directors like Kitase and Nomura stayed on.

This is basically how I summed it up on another site talking about the importance of game makers:

quote:

A video game developer named Hironobu Sakaguchi basically created Final Fantasy way back in 1987, and it arguably saved Square from bankruptcy. On the subject of the game, he claimed he didn’t have what it takes to make action games, but was better at telling a story.

Sakaguchi went on to spend over a decade writing, directing and/or producing every Final Fantasy in the main series. Also: Chrono Trigger. Then he made the tragic mistake of thinking that Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was a movie worth making. This risky move caused Square to lose a tremendous amount of money.

After writing Final Fantasy IX, he got an executive producer credit on a few more big Square games including Final Fantasy X, but eventually left the company.

Soon afterwards, Square merged with Enix and certain writers and artists in the company like Tetsuya Nomura became creative leads on the games. This roughly correlates with the time generic, brooding, metrosexual characters with far too many belts and zippers became less of a trend and more of a constant in Japanese RPGs.

This is also the time Final Fantasy stopped being a series that reinvented itself with every iteration. It started with Final Fantasy X-2 and lead to absurd numbers of re-releases, the use of established characters in the Kingdom Hearts series, revisiting the popular Final Fantasy VII with a number of poorly rated spinoffs, a Final Fantasy fighting game series and most recently a Final Fantasy rhythm game.

Fans often blame the merger with Enix. But a corporate merger didn’t necessarily influence the design. It was Square’s old employees that were put in charge and are responsible for the changes in direction and writing, after all.

For comparison’s sake, Cloud Strife of Final Fantasy VII with Sakaguchi was a sarcastic jackass with a heart of gold, prone to psychotic breakdowns, who dressed up like a lady to infiltrate a pimp’s mansion, and had classic lines like "You look like a bear wearing a marshmallow" and "Let’s mosey." Cloud Strife without Sakaguchi (in the spinoff media) is a brooding anime bishonen who speaks in awkward silences.

As for Hironobu Sakaguchi, the former storyteller-in-chief of Final Fantasy in its heyday? He created his own company Mistwalker and often teams up with fellow moustache enthusiast Nobuo Uematsu, the (currently freelance) composer behind the most famous music of the Final Fantasy series.

Mistwalker made a game called Lost Odyssey, which received praise for its story and in which one of the characters was a grizzled, elderly, ship-owning engineer named…"Sed".

Because that wasn’t obvious enough for everyone, his next game was called The Last Story.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Lost Odyssey is a pretty good substitute for anyone who feels very disillusioned by how FF has been treated in the recent years. It just feels more like a Final Fantasy game than FFXIII did. It also helps that Nobuo Umetsu did a great soundtrack for it. It's kind of a shame it went so under the radar. Thought there was an LP going on of it, but I don't think it has updated lately unless I'm blind.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Despite some of its parts aging very badly, I really hope they don't remake FF7. It's such a great document (flaws and all) of the transitional period between classic game design and contemporary game design. FF7 is a mix of ugly and beautiful, a game that really sums up in a single experience the sort of rapid generation shift of ideas, community preferences, technological advancements, and mass media perceptions, with oodles of forethought and redundancy in the same.

It's charm lies in the fact that it is sort of blocky, and poorly translated...and that charm still holds attention and makes its serious moments all the more startling and effective. It's like the last ditch period, the last six months say, in a child's life before you can unquestionably say 'nope, not a kid anymore.'

The opening sequence is still so fantastic and hyper-charged and you can give FF7 to someone who's never played a game before and it doesn't intimidate so much that they'll turn away from it. It was never the best, most complex, or most refined of the genre...it was simply in the right place at the right time to really capture a feeling that doesn't exist anymore.

For the younger generation of gamers who either see contemporary games as too complex for them, or are more interested in web/social gaming, or have no idea why people would be enamored with older, more restricted, lovely looking videogames...FF7 lies at a perfect crossroads.

I had to type this out. Sorry. I spent the last decade making GBS threads on this game because I felt it hadn't aged well...but this LP has made me incredibly nostalgic. I want to go out and buy it for my 13 year old brother and see if he connects with it like I did 15 years ago.

Anyways, I hope they don't remake it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

second-hand smegma posted:

If they did, it wouldn't be the same game. They'd have to add stuff to compensate for all the characters and concepts they added in the EU, they'd change the characterizations to fit what the characters have become, and I don't think even Square would be able to do something like the whole Wall Market episode in today's industry.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

second-hand smegma posted:

I hope they do so I can go around telling people I prefer the original in an extremely smug tone.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

If they ever do remake FFVII and rewrite it at all, I suspect the most insanely dedicated parts of the fan community (the people still modding the PC version of FFVII, the people making fan translation patches and so forth) will do their best to combine the new game with the original script. Possibly along with amateur voice acting.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dauntasa posted:

I hope they do so I can go around telling people I prefer the original in an extremely smug tone.

Considering FF1 remakes are easier, the FF3 remake does nothing to fix the game's tedium and balance issues, and the FF4 remake for DS makes the game an unbearable slog with an endless stream of puzzle bosses? You might be unironic in claiming the original is better.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I can see how the FFIII and FFIV remakes were worse than the original games, but the FFI remake? Since when was it a bad thing to make your game actually work?

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
All I'd ever wish for is a new translation, you don't need to change anything else.:(

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BlitzBlast posted:

I can see how the FFIII and FFIV remakes were worse than the original games, but the FFI remake? Since when was it a bad thing to make your game actually work?

I'm talking about Dawn of Souls and the 20th anniversary ones. Origins is the bomb-diggity because it isn't essentially locked in easy mode and give you shittons of items.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

People tend to dislike it because it went from the difficult game where your strongest spell gets only one cast before you need to heal, to black mages who literally have more MP then they do HP and you can get stuff like a staff in a bonus dungeon that grants infinite casts of flare.

not that magic matters for bosses, because all your mages will be doing is spamming temper on your warrior so he can do several thousand damage per swing.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
The best remake is FFI is the PSX remake, where you COULD have the same level of difficulty as the NES version, but with spells actually working as intended. Or you could do easytype where you leveled up like 25% faster and at level 50 you could cast flare 80 times or so.

Tengames posted:

not that magic matters for bosses, because all your mages will be doing is spamming temper on your warrior so he can do several thousand damage per swing.

Haste, temper, and the Giant's Helm the the most effective way to take Chaos down anyway, since he's pretty much all but immune to magic. The fiends though? I usually have access to all the spells by Kary anyway, and Ice-3 really fucks her poo poo up.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 27, 2012

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Most of the original game's difficulty came from how drat near everything was literally broken though, not how many spells you could cast that instant. Take Ice Cave; a lot of the difficulty in getting through that came from poo poo like the Flame Sword not working at all and Strength not being used for damage calculations, forcing you to rely on your limited casts of Fire to actually get stuff done.

Hell, magic was bugged too. I'm pretty sure the Intelligence stat was never, ever used, so the only real difference between your Black Mage and that Thor's Hammer was that the latter could be used infinitely.

EDIT: If anyone's interested, there's a whole thread talking about FFI's bugs and the things you have to do to the game code to fix them.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 27, 2012

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Final Fantasy I for the GBA and PSP is just an absolute blast to play through, and you can experiment with tons of different job combinations that would take days of grinding in the original to be effective.

The extra dungeons are quite difficult, especially if you visit them as early as possible. Ideally, they should have included the options from Origins for those who want to play it like the original, but it isn't a mode I'd ever choose to play on.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

John Luebke posted:

All I'd ever wish for is a new translation, you don't need to change anything else.:(

There is a re-translation project going.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11867

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I liked the bonus dungeons in the last two ff1 remakes, they were full of interesting floor gimmicks and basically every single final fantasy boss on a nintendo game makes a (mostly) faithful translation.

I didn't like how in order to balance mages having more spells they gave everything shitloads of magic resistance. Instead of being NUKE it's just "yeah whatever, flare, I guess" you need to cast like twice as many spells to do the same damage as the versions with charges, and by the end game poor little black mage is basically the temper/haste bitch and a replacement for autobattle because regular attacks do about five times the damage flare does.

Hell, you don't even need him because the game adds a weapon that casts flare (and I'm pretty sure it also adds ones for temper and haste, but ninjas/red mages can do those and at-least pretend the damage they do matters while knight/master stomp everything into the ground)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

Elena > Yrena
[Official Establishment File verifies this as Yrena as opposed to Irina ]

Reno > Leno

:saddowns:

quote:

A translator translates; he does not dictate what is or is not acceptable. He has no authority to change things like that and this is the reason we have a stereotypical black man in VII when we should have a decent character who doesn’t conform to that stupid and off-putting caricature. You see it works both ways. The translator thought Mr T would be a good idea for VII and instead all it does it make him look like a dumb useless idiot there purely for comic relief. No translator has the right to change a character’s personality. So although you feel changing names is a good thing you have to realise that Translators do not always make good sound choices and sometimes butcher a character as they did with VII.

I pity dis fool. He are sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Wow, I can't possibly fit enough 'gently caress you's in this post in response to that. Jesus, fan translations still manage to have a 100% shittiness record.

• Locked thread