Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
oh no my secret shame!!!

Honestly I just don't like fighting him.

So Maximilian released a video of him getting stomped by scrubby marvel 2 keepaway, so if you want to see him get destroyed, laugh at his hugbox trying to cheer him up by going on about how gaycheapdishonorable using fireballs is or try and educate youtube commentators that they suck at marvel have fun I guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_it8smwHhw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
That comments section is one of the worst I've ever seen, wow. Awesome seeing Max get mad though.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
I thought it couldn't get better than him losing to bad 2000-era lockdown while complaining that it's impossible to get out of. Then he flipped about a Magneto doing a really slow triangle jump into one loop of rom, truly amazing.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Well, he is a CoD player when he's not doing fighting games. What'd you expect?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wow first match and he's completely mad about keepaway ahahahaha.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say I like Maximillian. He seems like a cool dude and makes entertaining videos. I really, really don't get the hate for him.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
It's the Nickelback effect.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Did you watch the video?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

darealkooky posted:

So Maximilian released a video of him getting stomped by scrubby marvel 2 keepaway, so if you want to see him get destroyed, laugh at his hugbox trying to cheer him up by going on about how gaycheapdishonorable using fireballs is or try and educate youtube commentators that they suck at marvel have fun I guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_it8smwHhw

"I played this game for 10 years!"

"I don't know what the buttons are!"

"How do I super?"

"This guy has a broken, invincible Cyclops assist." (while using glitched Tron assist)

"This guy is picking... Magneto... Storm... Psylocke?"

"I'm glad I was able to find somebody at my skill level." (after fighting and beating a Guile/Akuma/Dhalsim player who was clearly mashing)

This video is practically scrubquotes.avi

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

SpaceBees posted:

I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say I like Maximillian. He seems like a cool dude and makes entertaining videos. I really, really don't get the hate for him.

I like him, I just think he's kind of scrubby sometimes.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

This video is practically scrubquotes.avi

Scrub quotes you say?

Parkingtigers posted:

Mortal Kombat x1,000,000. It's the high water mark of fighting games, it sets the bar in terms of presentation and quantiity and quality of content. I spent 20 years hating everything about Mortal Kombat, but I've bought MK9 twice (double dipping for my Vita) because it's so good that it just cannot be ignored. It's loving awesome. I recently got Super Street Fighter IV with my new slim Xbox and I couldn't even finish one playthrough of arcade mode as it seems to be just the same game I was playing 20 years ago on my SNES, albeit prettier.

Mortal Kombat is so good I recommend it even to people that hate fighting games, it's quality blows away mere genre boundaries. I went from MK hater to gushing fanboy, and I cannot endorse it highly enough. Everyone that owns a console that can play it, owes it to themselves to get that game. Greatest fighting game to have ever been released.

I'm sure SSFIV has it's defenders, but if you are out of the loop on fighting games and don't really give a gently caress and just want to hit dudes in visually interesting ways then just go for Mortal Kombat. 8 hour story mode. 300 challenge tower levels. Ridiculous amounts of content, so many ways to have fun while hitting people. Also, not ridiculously spergy with the controls, it doesn't use diagonals for button inputs at all so pulling off cool moves is quick and easy, and more about timing rather than memorisation. It's just more fun than any other fighting game.

How does pressing a diagonal require memorization? :psyduck:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ybrik posted:

Scrub quotes you say?

Hahahaha holy poo poo did we just go back in time? Goddamn :laffo:

The mvc2 vid is still hilarious. All of the poo poo he started to say like "Oh really is that how Marvel is played now why doesn't he just come and hit me!" sound like something out of a angry message on xbox live.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Ybrik posted:

Scrub quotes you say?

KOF is doomed. :smith:

Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.

Gimnbo posted:

KOF is doomed. :smith:

hcb,f = DP motion

:I

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Zero000 posted:

hcb,f = DP motion

:I

I actually find doing DP's in KOF 13 easier then doing DP's in UMVC3 :(

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18003292

Welp, I love MB to bits but even I can't defend this.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Popehoist posted:

Ugh. Talk about broken.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
I forgot I muted my computer, and my brain automatically put in the MvC2 Storm sound clips (I know its not the same).

Also reminding you all again, this is tonight!!!

Not Dave posted:

(not officially affiliated with goonbats or goonsgarden)

Goon Battle Opera is a series of 2-on-2 team tournaments run on GGPO based loosely on the style of the Tougeki - Super Battle Opera annual tournaments in Japan. Ideally the tournaments will run through June and July for nine weeks, come rain or shine or lack of sign ups.
  • 2-on-2 Waseda Style (see below)
  • One Match fights (2/3 rounds default, 3/5 when available)
  • Single Elimination
  • Character Locked
  • No Duplicate Characters in a team
  • Random Seeding
  • Be in #goonsgarden

:words:

:siren:Special rules for Super Turbo:siren:
  • Akuma is banned
  • Old Characters count seperately from New Characters
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/ojzcqvkdfx

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I actually find doing DP's in KOF 13 easier then doing DP's in UMVC3 :(

You are broken or something. I used to get accidental DPs all the time in marvel because of how ridiculously lax the inputs are and it drove me batshit.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Brosnan posted:

You are broken or something. I used to get accidental DPs all the time in marvel because of how ridiculously lax the inputs are and it drove me batshit.

I doubt i'm *that* broken. I just find it easier to do the DP's in KOF 13.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Bebopaloobop posted:

Take one of the roms (everybody uses karnov) and replace it with an empty .zip file. Then replace the savestate of that game with the 3s savestate.

Pretty sure you don't need to replace the karnov rom/zipfile. I've never done that for any of the savestate hack games (Dodgeball, that wrestling fighting game, etc)

The correctly-named rom will be loaded via the 3S savestate (which is named Karnov so that the ggpo lobby software loads it since you are in the karnov room)

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
The first stage of GBO has ended.

Since we now have a GBO under our belt, if you have any grievances, now is the time to air them. Since the tournament is supposed to emulate the shittiness of SBO, some things won't be changed.

:siren::siren:RULE CHANGES:siren::siren:
Fixed Team Order
Since no one knew who was supposed to play who half the time, future tournaments will eliminate this by simply having the first two people in the teams fight, and the second two people in the teams fight.

Example
Team Dicks: Player A (Cock) & Player B (Dong)
vs
Team Butts: Player 1 (rear end) & Player 2 (Booty)

Player A fights Player 1
Player B fights Player 2
IN CASE OF A TIE
The winning player from Team Dicks will fight the winning player from Team Butts to see who advances.

Two out of Three Matches
GBO#1 went by really fast, taking about 30 minutes. ST is a fast game and all, but that is kind of ridiculous. In the interest of getting to play more, all matches will go to Best of Three format. The format will remain single elimination though, so once you lose 2 matches, better hope your team mate will save you!

Pure Random Seeding
I cannot impartially judge names when I knew what players are on the team, so to keep this fair, seeding will now be completely random for every tournament.

These have been changed in the rules post.

Next week we'll have

:siren:Special Rules for Breaker's Revenge:siren:
  • None
The Rules for GBO are here in case you need the refresher!

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/md643phywe

Breakers has a mechanic where you mash while in hit- or block-stun, goons should all love this game. If you want to know more about this game, the SRK wiki has more about it than you'll probably ever need.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Popehoist posted:

Melty went to trash the moment they added the two mugen characters

edit: Play P4U instead

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Re: those GBO results. What on earth can Fei and O. Honda do against Ryu and O. Sagat anyway? Im having a hard time figuring out how they would get in, and I'm mostly used to HDR where they each have more tools to do so.

Of course, "they can't" explains the results. :shobon:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Just an FYI, not only does Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown come out for PSN today (and XBLA tomorrow), but Sony announced at E3 last night that it'll be free to those with a Playstation Plus subscription, along with a bunch of other poo poo.

Note that it likely includes only the base game and that you'll have to buy customization packs yourself.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Boxman posted:

Re: those GBO results. What on earth can Fei and O. Honda do against Ryu and O. Sagat anyway? Im having a hard time figuring out how they would get in, and I'm mostly used to HDR where they each have more tools to do so.

Ryu is one of hondas harder catchups but only if ryu plays really lame. You just have to grind it out and deal with it. Fei actually does pretty well against sagat really, due to some Fei tricks and the fact that Fei can AA sagat with c.fp and sagat can't hit him. Trykt is a dumb babby and was way too rusty (by his down admission) to remember/try some of it. Honda has a hard time with sagat due to his large hitbox that let's sagat fireball him easily. Im actually really comfortable with that fight once I get in since o.Honda has good grab/safejump setups on sagat, but getting in is a giant guessing game.

It was fun last night but with only one match I didn't feel like I could take it too serious. ST is too fast imo for only one match in a single elim. I can start doing more st stuff again like I did in the past if there's a continuing interest. Breakers will be fun next week now that the rules are more clarified.

ALSO I've found that SamSho2 is one of my new favorite games and think it needs more attention, that game rules (until someone picks ukyo)

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Crossposting this for you fine goons who no longer check the UMvC3 thread. I'll go bug people in #goonsgarden the day of to remind people.

Ybrik posted:

:siren:Results:siren:

:spidey: PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/psmgoons3
First Place: Ybrik Spider-Man/Taskmaster/Super-Skrull
Second Place Mikedm92 Vergil/Iron Man/Wesker
Third Place: BumbleChump Spencer/Felicia/Shuma-gorath

:itjb: Xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/xbmgoons3
First Place Bimodaltoaster
Second Place: RageBeef
Third Place: Topologic

Turnout was not..amazing. So in an effort to find the source I'll just put up next weeks brackets now. Thursday June 7th 9est/6pst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/hgg7uorvfa

:itjb:Xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/y2w5mpafas

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Boxman posted:

Fei actually beats anything but a super good O.Sagat IMO, and then that match is probably even anyway. Fei landing a chicken wing is basically end of the world for Sagat, for some reason landing "the combo" (close HP xx Rekkas) is exceptionally easy on Sagat. I got blown up because 1. I'm bad and out of practice and 2. One match isn't much time to adjust! Also it was online, charismama is actually pretty solid, etc.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
DOA5 E3 trailer

I have mixed feeling about Akira and Sarah being in this game.

Also, anyone know what Rolento's bad matchups are in Alpha2? I always thought Sakura was one of those characters, but then again his stinger was way more range than her fireball and only ambiguous crossups can ruin your day. But I still find her a bitch to fight against.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bleh. It's like they don't even try anymore. As far as I care, DOA died after 2 on the Dreamcast.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
There's still DOA2Millenium on our Naomi board in the arcade. Recently it started garnering some attention from a few people.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
DOA is a guilty pleasure of mine so I'll check this out. The video of the training mode Tecmo released a little bit ago was really cool.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Kind of a dumb thing, but to me it always seems like video games are always best on the second game in the series and worst on either the third or fourth, like some sort of backwards movie sequel rule. Street Fighter II, MvC2, CvS2, DOA2 (apparently), Bloody Roar 2, Smash Bros. Melee, VOOT, whatever.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Well Tekken 3 was the first really amazing one, for what that's worth. Soul Calibur took a big nosedive after 2 though.

E: Alpha 2 fits the rule too.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Alpha 2 is one of the best SF games out there both in terms of variety and balance.

DOA E3 Stream for anyone who cares

Commentary is bad, but the game looks pretty at least.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Jmcrofts posted:

Well Tekken 3 was the first really amazing one, for what that's worth. Soul Calibur took a big nosedive after 2 though.

E: Alpha 2 fits the rule too.

But came back at 5! Uhh, any other games that could apply to as well?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

PunkBoy posted:

But came back at 5! Uhh, any other games that could apply to as well?

Devil May Cry? Never played it but people say the third one sucked and the fourth one was good.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

PalmTreeFun posted:

Devil May Cry? Never played it but people say the third one sucked and the fourth one was good.

I think you might have that the wrong way round.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

can start doing more st stuff again like I did in the past if there's a continuing interest.
I obviously can't speak for the whole thread but I'd definitely be down for more ST. I think the goonbats are really cool but I'm admittedly awful at fighting games and I can't really learn a new game every week. I'm really enjoying ST though so I want to stick with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What specifically does "more ST" mean? More events? Casual FT10s? Weekly goonbat? Nightly play?

I'd like to play more as well and get better at Ryu.

• Locked thread