Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

That's not really "a stance" so much as "a collection of musings followed by a call for the community to tell them what their stance should be", but it does carry the implications that (a) they will post about Kickstarters because they find them interesting, not because people want them to, but (b) they will stop short of outright begging their readership for money, simply telling people about the kickstarter and letting them make up their own minds. Their coverage of Republique failed hard on the latter.

The fact that they covered Republique in the first place isn't really objectionable except in a "holy poo poo these guys have terrible taste and/or judgement" way - it was far from the first Kickstarter they posted about in glowing terms. It's ending posts about it with a picture of a kitten tearfully begging the readers to find it in their hearts (and wallets) to fund this special snowflake of a game that sticks in people's craws.

Did you totally miss the very first numbered item? The one where they state that if they're going to cover a kickstater they're saying they want people to fund it? The whole "begging" thing was written in their usual flippant style (see recent "Who won E3" post) and was in-line with what they posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Yeah I would say the thing with the kitten has more to do with the endemic shittiness of Rock Paper Shotgun's writing style than it has with them groveling.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

If anyone's curious about how Yogventures is doing since their Kickstarter finished, they're showing the game at E3 and they put up a video about it. Looks interesting. Map makers can define cut scenes and scripted events, and there's some sort of basic key and lock system in place. Also some various enemies and so on. This still has the potential to be amazing, depending on how much the community gets involved in making great maps for it.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

BobTheJanitor posted:

If anyone's curious about how Yogventures is doing since their Kickstarter finished, they're showing the game at E3 and they put up a video about it.
I'm pretty curious as to how much that E3 setup cost them. I don't really have much of an idea, but I could see it being a significant amount.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Rebel Blob posted:

I'm pretty curious as to how much that E3 setup cost them. I don't really have much of an idea, but I could see it being a significant amount.

They've got piles of youtube money to burn. I believe they are paid one bazillion english dollars for making a 30 second video of themselves falling over.

Also it's probably worth it for marketing the game to people who never heard of the kickstarter and/or yogscast. The game concept itself is neat even if you don't care about British goons who are bad at Minecraft.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

BobTheJanitor posted:

They've got piles of youtube money to burn. I believe they are paid one bazillion english dollars for making a 30 second video of themselves falling over.

Also it's probably worth it for marketing the game to people who never heard of the kickstarter and/or yogscast. The game concept itself is neat even if you don't care about British goons who are bad at Minecraft.

Has there been any video of the editor? The stuff they were showing in the E3 video just still kind of looks like a very basic Unity game.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Anybody who thought the "Tropes vs. Women in Video Games" Kickstarter was not really anything worth getting worked up over should check out her new update where she goes over some of the 2,000 "get back in the kitchen/I am going to rape you/all women should die/I will donate if you suck my dick/et cetera" responses her YouTube pitch video has gotten recently:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games/posts/242547

Just bringing this up might start a derail, so I will mention that I am, in fact, in no way accusing anyone in this thread of being like the people she quotes. I think about the most vile thing anyone has said about women on these forums would basically sound like a compliment as far as these comments are concerned.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Quarex posted:

Anybody who thought the "Tropes vs. Women in Video Games" Kickstarter was not really anything worth getting worked up over should check out her new update where she goes over some of the 2,000 "get back in the kitchen/I am going to rape you/all women should die/I will donate if you suck my dick/et cetera" responses her YouTube pitch video has gotten recently:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games/posts/242547

Just bringing this up might start a derail, so I will mention that I am, in fact, in no way accusing anyone in this thread of being like the people she quotes. I think about the most vile thing anyone has said about women on these forums would basically sound like a compliment as far as these comments are concerned.

I'm fine with her kickstarter but I don't know how calling misogynists what they are will actually change them.
I know pointing out that there's a lot of homophobic comments in xbox live chat and what have you hasn't done much to curb the morons ... although saying they're obsessed with gays because they can't get dongs off their mind usually does lead to some pretty funny meltdowns.

I wonder what a good trolling angle for misogynist comments would be .... ah well it'll come to me at some point.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Juc66 posted:

I'm fine with her kickstarter but I don't know how calling misogynists what they are will actually change them.
I know pointing out that there's a lot of homophobic comments in xbox live chat and what have you hasn't done much to curb the morons ... although saying they're obsessed with gays because they can't get dongs off their mind usually does lead to some pretty funny meltdowns.

I wonder what a good trolling angle for misogynist comments would be .... ah well it'll come to me at some point.

There's a bit of a difference between "somebody called me gay and Xbox Live didn't ban them" and "somebody threatened to rape and kill me and it makes me feel a little better to post what they said online so I can reaffirm the fact that human beings are generally supportive and kind and do not want to rape and murder me".

Apparently a great trolling angle for misogynist comments is "I am a woman and I am critical of male-dominated culture". That looks like it'll get you some doozies.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Juc66 posted:

I dislike this notion, when it comes to things like racism and misogyny, that someone is either seething with hatred and beyond being reasoned with, or completely enlightened. There's plenty of people who might be open to the idea that there is a problem, and that they might even be a part of it, but don't quite understand what the problem is or what they might be doing wrong. Or people who just haven't thought about it at all, but wouldn't necessarily react poorly.

Apologies if you were just referring to the youtube commenters and I've misread.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

I wish I could be surprised enough by this to muster a :wtc:.

Juc66 posted:

Even if it doesn't change them - and let's be honest, it probably won't - it can have an educational effect on others, and if nothing else helps point out that this is a problem, and a widespread one.

And hey, shine enough light on the cockroaches and sometimes they scatter.

Crappy Jack posted:

Apparently a great trolling angle for misogynist comments is "I am a woman and I am critical of male-dominated culture". That looks like it'll get you some doozies.

Often it doesn't even take that - just obviously being a woman in a traditionally male-centric or male-dominated setting is enough to get the rage and/or condescention going.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Let's face it, if a woman so much as looks at a video game on a shelf that isn't Diner Dash, a very large and vocal amount of people on the internet will jump down her throat. The major problem with this isn't just the harassment of a single person, but the fact that many people are completely oblivious or indifferent to this sort of behaviour. That's what this update is pointing out and it's doing a pretty drat good job of it.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Crappy Jack posted:

There's a bit of a difference between "somebody called me gay and Xbox Live didn't ban them" and "somebody threatened to rape and kill me and it makes me feel a little better to post what they said online so I can reaffirm the fact that human beings are generally supportive and kind and do not want to rape and murder me".

That makes me think we might need someone to do a kick-starter to illuminate folks on the treatment of homosexuals in video games, especially in multiplayer games.

I could go on a derail and a half about this, but I'll just suffice it to say that I don't think it's as different as you think it is.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Just as an aside, the latest minority perspectives in gaming thread ended up being gassed. This conversation just usually doesn't go anywhere productive.

The Two Guys from Andromeda Kickstarter is still lagging pretty far behind their goal, but they still have 4 days left and that last minute push usually seems to be pretty huge. I'm hoping they make it. I grew up with the Space Quest games, and they were why I remembered Sierra as a good company. (Fortunately I didn't grow up playing the early King's Quest games or I would probably hate adventure games now)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Juc66 posted:

That makes me think we might need someone to do a kick-starter to illuminate folks on the treatment of homosexuals in video games, especially in multiplayer games.

I could go on a derail and a half about this, but I'll just suffice it to say that I don't think it's as different as you think it is.

You're absolutely right, and I didn't even think about that aspect of what I was saying, which is evidence right there of exactly how right you are.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Quarex posted:

This is the most singularly appalling thing I've seen all year. A dude compares her to the KKK.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Let's face it, if a woman so much as looks at a video game on a shelf that isn't Diner Dash, a very large and vocal amount of people on the internet will jump down her throat.

What, why? :psyduck: Pardon me if I'm totally ignorant of an apparently big problem.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

lordfrikk posted:

What, why? :psyduck: Pardon me if I'm totally ignorant of an apparently big problem.

I really have a hard time figuring out why, but I think to some men video games are "their" hobby, and they feel threatened if a woman starts to muscle in on their turf.

Without revealing too much personal information, someone I'm close to is a woman who writes about video games for a living. Any time she posts anything remotely gender-related, she gets a ton of comments bashing on her, as well as some e-mails, tweets, and PMs not too different from what this person is getting. (For example: She once criticized booth babes at conventions and there were several comments from people saying that she was just feeling insecure and jealous of them.)

It's tremendously frustrating for her, because gaming is her hobby too.. she plays dozens of different games every year, and spends an enormous amount of money on it.. but the content is clearly marketed and presented to exclude her, and she gets piled on whenever she points that out.

I'm really pulling for this Kickstarter and hope Anita makes a big splash with it.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 8, 2012

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

The campaign is far from perfect for reasons that actually have nothing to do with the author's gender - but to have this be the mainstream rebuttal, the face of the 'opposition' to this hypothetical video series, is just appalling. Let people critique the premise and setup of the campaign, but do it with some degree of dignity, without resorting to logical fallacies - and if common sense prevails you won't be subject to kneejerk generalisation in return.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I would like to personally thank everyone for the ensuing discussion; when I saw there had been 10 new posts in a relatively short amount of time, I was like "oh no, no, please, no" but it is all good. Constructive discussion!!! :c00l:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

This is the most singularly appalling thing I've seen all year. A dude compares her to the KKK.
There is a very widespread belief, and I am not old enough to really know who started it (I think Rush Limbaugh just continued the already-extant beliefs, even if he may have coined the word "Feminazi"), that the feminist movement is a female supremacy movement. I am hardly going to deny that there are women who believe women are superior to men, but classifying a critique of male dominance as "revolutionary female dominance" is roughly as hilarious as the people who think it is a "war on Christmas" to acknowledge other holidays/that some people do not celebrate any holidays. It is possible for the old dominant paradigm to co-exist with the repressed ones without the formerly repressed KILLING EVERYONE FROM THE OLD REGIME

Regardless, the important thing is that Tex Murphy was funded, and Two Guys From Andromeda revealed the Cluck Y'Egger voice actor who either is or is doing a pretty convincing job sounding like Patrick Warburton. I am not entirely convinced it is him, as the person doing the voice sounds like he is straining to sound like that, and since "that" is basically "Patrick Warburton's actual voice," it does not seem like a guarantee.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Quarex posted:

I had donated a while back and totally forgot about it. After seeing that email I instantly went up to $100. gently caress these regressive shitbags.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Personally, I don't care what gender the other person is I'm playing with (unless they are being obnoxious 'durr hurr imma girl gimme things', that's stupid no matter who you are). v:shobon:v If macnbc's comment about men feeling threatened is really the issue at hand, why the gently caress are guys so insecure about it? I just don't really understand.

With that said, I'd kick in some cash if this series was going to help expose the miserable pile of puke that is the fighting game community. Not much gets me up in arms over the equality issue quite like that cesspit. My ex-girlfriend introduced me to it a few years ago and the way that community treats women does nothing but turn my stomach. She wanted me to go to Evo2k with her (neither of us went), and I'm glad we didn't because I would've racked up some assault charges had I caught that poo poo in person. :argh:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Tsurupettan posted:

With that said, I'd kick in some cash if this series was going to help expose the miserable pile of puke that is the fighting game community. Not much gets me up in arms over the equality issue quite like that cesspit. My ex-girlfriend introduced me to it a few years ago and the way that community treats women does nothing but turn my stomach. She wanted me to go to Evo2k with her (neither of us went), and I'm glad we didn't because I would've racked up some assault charges had I caught that poo poo in person. :argh:

Obviously it is a bigger problem for women than it is for men, but it sucks running into poo poo like that and having it taint otherwise enjoyable social activities that you could do as a couple. My wife loved playing Halo2 and 3 online co-op or vs with me and my friends, but as soon as some pubbie showed up, she felt like she had to clam up and never say a word, or else she wouldn't be able to have fun any more. I'm sure lots of guys feel like they are just joking, but it was really sad to see how much it affected her ability to just hang out and play xbox, and how lovely and unfair that was.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Obviously it is a bigger problem for women than it is for men, but it sucks running into poo poo like that and having it taint otherwise enjoyable social activities that you could do as a couple. My wife loved playing Halo2 and 3 online co-op or vs with me and my friends, but as soon as some pubbie showed up, she felt like she had to clam up and never say a word, or else she wouldn't be able to have fun any more. I'm sure lots of guys feel like they are just joking, but it was really sad to see how much it affected her ability to just hang out and play xbox, and how lovely and unfair that was.

"Just joking" isn't any sort of excuse for that poo poo because you can guess the reaction they have when you call them out on it. "Holy poo poo you whiny b**** can't even take a joke?" If you're anything like me, the conversation that results is already playing out in your head because you've seen it hundreds of times before with any sort of online game. It's like a misogyny machine, always delivering predictable output given the same input.

Tsurupettan posted:

Personally, I don't care what gender the other person is I'm playing with (unless they are being obnoxious 'durr hurr imma girl gimme things'

Probably worth pointing out this is a pretty nasty stereotype in itself. The assumption that every woman online who dares express herself is automatically some kind of vile temptress seeking to drain all the e-gold from the coffers of unsuspecting manchildren, is bad.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 8, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

octoroon posted:

"Just joking" isn't any sort of excuse for that poo poo

Sorry, just to be clear I wasn't trying to say that it was an excuse at all, and I know that it isn't.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I came in here happy about Yogventures getting this nice E3 booth, and I get a big depressing reminder of how horrible the gaming industry is to women. :smith: Oh well, hopefully the little I could contribute will help somewhat in the path towards normalizing the presence of females in videogaming.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

miscellaneous14 posted:

I came in here happy about Yogventures getting this nice E3 booth, and I get a big depressing reminder of how horrible the gaming industry is to women. :smith: Oh well, hopefully the little I could contribute will help somewhat in the path towards normalizing the presence of females in videogaming.

I hear rumours they were set up right next to the best seats in the house.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'll admit I made a quip about what could she possibly do with that amount of money considering the modest production values webcam typically have. I have some sympathies though as I know I'm going to have to deal with a lot of the same bullshit soon enough

gently caress it I'll kick in :10bux:

I just hope she doesn't take the money and run to Cocaine Island

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 8, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

I'll admit I made a quip about what could she possibly do with that amount of money considering the modest production values webcam typically have. I have some sympathies though as I know I'm going to have to deal with a lot of the same bullshit soon enough

gently caress it I'll kick in :10bux:

I just hope she doesn't take the money and run to Cocaine Island

If you haven't watched some of her Feminist Frequency videos, they're actually really well put together, and that was when it was all done in her free time and supported by whatever donations she could scrounge together. She did a really excellent two-parter on LEGO as sort of a test run for this that I recommend checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrmRxGLn0Bk

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

octoroon posted:

Probably worth pointing out this is a pretty nasty stereotype in itself. The assumption that every woman online who dares express herself is automatically some kind of vile temptress seeking to drain all the e-gold from the coffers of unsuspecting manchildren, is bad.

I'm hoping you didn't think I was implying that stereotype applies to every woman. :shobon: There are those who do it, though, and that's why the stereotype exists.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Tsurupettan posted:

I'm hoping you didn't think I was implying that stereotype applies to every woman. :shobon: There are those who do it, though, and that's why the stereotype exists.

Often enough, it's male players who play female avatars and still get stuff.

I used to do this when I was a kid, but a rather scarring experience made me rethink my actions of accepting free stuff from guys who offered. Didn't help that I roleplayed a female and was told I did it really well to the point where other guys playing female avatars would also give me stuff.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I tend to try to make characters who sort of vaguely look like me in MMORPGs, so I never took much time to think about what sex my character would be. Then, one day, I made a female character with a friend of mine when we were going to be idiots as the Wonder Twins in some newbie zone in whatever the hell game, and I was horrified to discover that I was suddenly getting tells from strangers roughly, oh, infinitely more often than before (you know, five random people instead of zero) offering me things, wanting to talk, whatever.

That video Crappy Jack linked is really great, because it basically shows that LEGO did not learn from the "math is hard" Barbie debacle in the 1990s, and still thinks the way to get women interested in toys is to show them how fun it is to stay in the kitchen and do their hair while taking care of pets.

HEY THOUGH ALSO CULT IS DOING REALLY WELL, THAT IS A COOL NOT-DEPRESSING THING, RIGHT?

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Abuse/bullying/general shittiness is a big part of why I never play multiplayer games anymore and tend to stay away from most "gaming" communities, and I'm a white cisguy. Can't imagine how bad it is for women and other minorities, doubly so for those who want to fight back. I'm backing the project if only because Sarkeesian is brave enough to do that, and smart enough to do it well.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Quarex posted:

This sort of behavior makes my blood boil. Guess I should toss some money her way. I'll be interested to hear her conclusions on the matter.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So why was the Dead State thread closed?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Mordaedil posted:

I used to do this when I was a kid, but a rather scarring experience made me rethink my actions of accepting free stuff from guys who offered.
After playing WoW a couple of years a friend told me that if I made a female character I would be given gold and gifts by random strangers. So I made a female troll and sure enough I'm not five minutes into playing in the newbie zone when a random player gives me 5 gold. Oh, that was cool! A few minutes later another random player gives me one of the largest inventory bags in the game 'just because'. Then I start getting private messages from players hitting on me. I stopped playing that character as it was getting too creepy.

I later made a female blood elf and didn't get any attention at all.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

fondue posted:

I later made a female blood elf and didn't get any attention at all.

It's because all the dudes would obviously play as a pretty woman, so only a real woman would play as an ugly troll! :eng101:

:eng99:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Megazver posted:

So why was the Dead State thread closed?

Apparently no active (fundraising) Kickstarter can have its own thread anymore without special permision. Which is pretty irritating. Oh no, half a dozen Kickstarter threads in a forum of hundreds of threads is an overwhelming flood! :cry:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3489219

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fintilgin posted:

Apparently no active (fundraising) Kickstarter can have its own thread anymore without special permision. Which is pretty irritating. Oh no, half a dozen Kickstarter threads in a forum of hundreds of threads is an overwhelming flood! :cry:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3489219

That's lame. That post seems to be for devs posting about their own games, anyway. The Dead State is by some other dude.

Someone go get permission to reopen it, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I understand the admins not wanting the forum to be overrun by random people promoting their scam kickstarters but stuff like Dead State that is very much legit and the thread wasn't even posted by the dev? Seems weird.