Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Personally, I'd rather see a rule that says anyone who is just blatantly begging for money will be banned and have their thread gassed. I like it when devs post threads about their own games, and I also like the threads maintained by eager fans. Maybe someone should make a thread in QCS about this?

Also, I upped my donation to the Tropes vs Women kickstarter. Even if you don't think the videos will do anything, it's extremely important for the message to be out there. Opinions become more extreme when they are allowed to exist unchallenged, so even if it seems like the misogynist trolls aren't going to change (and they won't), simply having their opinions challenged will help prevent them from getting even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So yeah, apparently you can't even PM mods if you don't have the upgrade. Lame. Someone else PM AxeManiac about the Dead State thread?

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

macnbc posted:

I really have a hard time figuring out why, but I think to some men video games are "their" hobby, and they feel threatened if a woman starts to muscle in on their turf.

That's the short version of it. People who've for various reasons rejected mainstream society and retreated into sub/counter-cultural spaces featuring settings, mechanics, and characters of their own design tailored to suit them. As barriers to entry in these spaces erode away such that one can now in moments acquire knowledge that used to require years to acquire (and at the expense of development in other areas), those people view the act of applying mainstream cultural criticisms to a sub/counter-culture as an act of hostility. The reason is that no matter what people say, the argument of "this is problematic" always carries an implication (usually unstated) of "and therefore it should be changed/not exist/have a counterbalance." And so they, who like all modern-era social groups see themselves as a marginalized and persecuted minority, respond "in self defense." As games have become rather mainstream now, all that only applies to a few tens or hundreds of thousands of people at this point. But their minds can't be changed through higher-level mental operations such as reason/logic, and they're already relegated off into the societal fringe as it stands now.

I could go on but then I'd be guilty of the very thing I despise most, which is that every single thread ends up being about this exact same subject matter. So as for actual Kickstarter stuff, I'm pleased to note that after only a few days the relaunched Skyjacker Kickstarter is at 25%. They just posted a new Youtube video too showing off one of the faction fleets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YST5RQCDsHo

Huh, the forums automatically parse Youtube links to do that now. There's also a neat app you can download called Starship Disassembly that shows one of their ship models in full and lets you take it apart piece by piece, layer by layer. This is cool because it helps give you an idea of what you'll be able to target/salvage once the game comes out. It's pretty impressive. They released it on Windows, Android, and iOS but even with 1400 backers I'm not sure how many people are checking it out. For instance, that Youtube video only has about 80 views as I write this.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Megazver posted:

So yeah, apparently you can't even PM mods if you don't have the upgrade. Lame. Someone else PM AxeManiac about the Dead State thread?

I sent him a PM, we'll see what happens.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Quest for Infamy

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992695780/quest-for-infamy-an-adventure-game-by-infamous-que

Guys who made remakes of Space Quest 2 and King's Quest 3 are now kickstarting their own old school adventure game. It seems to be heavily inspired by Quest for Glory. They have a demo available.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

worst comes to worst, give KS and other such "budding projects" a sub-forum. We still have the "temporary" one for Saints Row and Skyrim.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't think there's any need, really. Just this thread and some threads for notable projects like Wasteland 2, Carmageddon and Dead State. The rule against self promotion isn't actually a bad one, it just doesn't apply to the games I mentioned.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Personally, this thread has given me all the updates about Kickstarters I might want, that aren't contained in the individual Kickstarter pages. I figure if a game hasn't come out yet, then all the information we have comes from the Kickstarter page itself, and if there's something really special that warrants its own thread for more discussion than goes on here, I imagine the Games mods would allow the thread.

Megazver posted:

So yeah, apparently you can't even PM mods if you don't have the upgrade. Lame.
Incidentally, this is why pretty much every mod has their e-mail address listed somewhere (e.g. in profile, the general SA rules, the thread of rules for an individual forum, etc.)
For example, Axemaniac's e-mail address is listed on the very old forum rules page.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kontrabida/rival-threads-last-class-heroes-the-final-push

This was posted in the PYF thread, but I think it deserves to be posted here, too. I'm sure the previous one was last year, most likely, as it got a lot of coverage. Not only do I think the game looks interesting, something mobile games usually have to try a lot harder to do, but their goals aren't ridiculous - they're pretty fitting, even humble, for what an indie developer with not much renown should really ask for to make a mobile game.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh yeah I'm signed on to that game. It looks beautiful, and the character designs aren't the misogynist pandering bullshit that is Dragon's Crown's.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

PoisonedV posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kontrabida/rival-threads-last-class-heroes-the-final-push

This was posted in the PYF thread, but I think it deserves to be posted here, too. I'm sure the previous one was last year, most likely, as it got a lot of coverage. Not only do I think the game looks interesting, something mobile games usually have to try a lot harder to do, but their goals aren't ridiculous - they're pretty fitting, even humble, for what an indie developer with not much renown should really ask for to make a mobile game.

This is a problem, they don't understand that they need this times the number of developers. those are for a single seat. so 2 devs would be $8400, I assume they have more than one dev as they are including the team license in there, but even that is only a single seat access to the asset server features.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The Tex Murphy kickstarter has stretch goals up.

I'm hoping they hit $540k just so we can see who qualifies as "more recognizable actors" now.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

macnbc posted:

I'm hoping they hit $540k just so we can see who qualifies as "more recognizable actors" now.

Clint Howard!

Also, ingame golf game?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

LumberingTroll posted:

This is a problem, they don't understand that they need this times the number of developers. those are for a single seat. so 2 devs would be $8400, I assume they have more than one dev as they are including the team license in there, but even that is only a single seat access to the asset server features.

My guess is "eh we'll just buy one and pirate the rest."

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

Quarex posted:

Anybody who thought the "Tropes vs. Women in Video Games" Kickstarter was not really anything worth getting worked up over should check out her new update where she goes over some of the 2,000 "get back in the kitchen/I am going to rape you/all women should die/I will donate if you suck my dick/et cetera" responses her YouTube pitch video has gotten recently:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games/posts/242547

Just bringing this up might start a derail, so I will mention that I am, in fact, in no way accusing anyone in this thread of being like the people she quotes. I think about the most vile thing anyone has said about women on these forums would basically sound like a compliment as far as these comments are concerned.

It seems like it'd be easier to just not talk when you're on Live as opposed to changing social norms through dopey videos.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Yodzilla posted:

My guess is "eh we'll just buy one and pirate the rest."

:( We spent $8000 on our Unity Pro seats, at lest we are legal. Unity is awesome, it deserves the support.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

buttopticor posted:

Personally, this thread has given me all the updates about Kickstarters I might want, that aren't contained in the individual Kickstarter pages. I figure if a game hasn't come out yet, then all the information we have comes from the Kickstarter page itself, and if there's something really special that warrants its own thread for more discussion than goes on here, I imagine the Games mods would allow the thread.

Updates, sure, but not specific discussion. Every project doesn't warrant its own thread but as Megazver said, notable ones do, I feel. I can't even imagine what horror would it be to discuss Shadowrun, Wasteland 2 and other stuff in a single thread. It would be a mess.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Whack posted:

It seems like it'd be easier to just not talk when you're on Live as opposed to changing social norms through dopey videos.

It would be a lot easier, but easy isn't really the point, is it?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So, here's a weird KS that just started:

An RTS Zombie MMO called END.

Sounds kinda like that game Urban Dead but real time. I dunno if this game is gonna be good; the pitch is professional, the tiers look realistic, the screencaps are well-done and look impressively designed, but something just feels off about it. Dunno.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Whack posted:

Yep, because society has totally progressed through the decades/centuries because of all those brilliant movements that involved shutting up and ignoring people.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Occupation posted:

but something just feels off about it. Dunno.

I think the word "MMO" might be what's giving you that feeling. I kind of instinctively dismiss any KickStarter that claims to want to make an MMO. I mean it would take some absolutely stunningly crazy name-recognition for something on that scale to seem viable through KickStarter.

Also maybe this:

END KickStarter posted:

We’ve spent months creating and documenting our art and game design and present to you a fully conceived experience. All that is left is programming and the support of ravenous hordes of fans. Join us!

Yes, that is what it takes to create an MMO. We'll just get right on that programming stuff with your 500k!

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

lordfrikk posted:

notable ones do, I feel.
I agree, and it's my understanding that the admins/Games mods do too. That's why if it warrants a thread, mod approval can be gotten.

I just personally don't read those individual game threads much, but that doesn't mean I think, say, the Wasteland 2 thread shouldn't exist.

octoroon posted:

I kind of instinctively dismiss any KickStarter that claims to want to make an MMO. I mean it would take some absolutely stunningly crazy name-recognition for something on that scale to seem viable through KickStarter.
I was thinking the same thing.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

buttopticor posted:

For example, Axemaniac's e-mail address is listed on the very old forum rules page.

Well thanks for narcing me out!

But yeah, we will have special threads for games from time to time to help support them, but we really want to discourage everyone from making a "GIVE MONEY" thread to every game out there because almost every game is dear to somebody's heart.

Also if you put all the kickstarters into one thread, half the people will be happy, half wont, and if we make all the kickstarters have their own thread, half the people will be happy and half won't, see where we are going with this? So instead we will make them special little surprises when you see a rare Kickstarter. Think of it like one kickstarter per mod that agrees to watch and baby sit them. I'm totally backing the Space Quest kickstarter right now.

Keep in mind game threads can be made for games after they reach their goals (I assume this means you can still pimp them out for stretch goals) but we wanted to bring the games forum back to more about talking about games instead of fund raising them.

That Tex Murphy game is looking great, the videos are awesome and I'm surprised I'm looking forward to a FMV game in this day and age!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

octoroon posted:

Yes, that is what it takes to create an MMO. We'll just get right on that programming stuff with your 500k!

This right there, that's why it's shady.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008

macnbc posted:

Yep, because society has totally progressed through the decades/centuries because of all those brilliant movements that involved shutting up and ignoring people.

We're talking about people hearing mean things said to them while they play video games. Instead of asking for thousands of dollars to shed light on this non-issue, people should grow some thick skin and accept the fact that you're going to hear nasty comments when you're online.

It's tragic, I know.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Also, a preliminary bit of e-sleuthing on that END game seems to show that their game studio has no website. They registered a trademark at least, but all their studio has to its name as far as Google footprint is concerned is a free Google site that is apparently "under construction." Seems like that's the sort of thing you would tackle before launching your half-million dollar KickStarter.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a scam -- the people listed on the project page are real people who have done the things in real life that they claim to have done (though their qualifications seem a little, uh, irrelevant in some cases) -- but they are working for a game studio with very minimal Google footprint and claiming to have an MMO ready to play by Nov 2013 with "only the programming" left to do (meaning all they have right now is a bunch of concept art).

Back at your own (extreme) risk.

Whack posted:

We're talking about people hearing mean things said to them while they play video games. Instead of asking for thousands of dollars to shed light on this non-issue, people should grow some thick skin and accept the fact that you're going to hear nasty comments when you're online.

It's tragic, I know.

Hey, buddy, cut it out. You're being a dick.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 8, 2012

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

AxeManiac posted:

I'm surprised I'm looking forward to a FMV game in this day and age!

I love FMV games.
Yes, I know they are terrible. Shut up. :(

Also, what the hell is Mitsoda doing over there?

Dead State Kickstarter posted:

And how about this – if we make our stretch goal within five days, we’ll add the FOUR top weapons on our poll as a bonus. For our first stretch goal, let’s try to reach $180,000.

I want you to take my money, but I'm not sure if this is the way to do it.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

This right there, that's why it's shady.

Well they say they're using a facebook-style browser strategy game model. So its not like theyre claiming to be building a 3D MMORPG for half a million or anything.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

macnbc posted:

If it was up to me, I'd splash the entire "famous actors" budget on getting James Earl-Jones to repeat his role as the PI in the Sky. That man's voice :allears:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Whack posted:

It's tragic, I know.

There's a difference between "normal" smacktalk and stuff like "I hope someone rapes and murders you on the way home, you worthless oval office" (Actual Quote TimeTM) or outright threats of violence, and there's a big difference between shittalking someone because it's "part of the game" and doing it because they had the audacity to be female/black/gay/poor in your favorite male/white/straight/rich-dominated game/hobby/bar/profession.

But since you've been repeatedly probated and banned for making GBS threads up the Feminism/Misogyny/Equal-Rights threads I'm guessing you already know this.

E: but to clarify for the people who aren't Whack but are following along, yes, if you play online games people will say mean things to you because you hosed up or you hurt their pride or just because they're shitheads. Boo hoo. However, if you are (or appear to be) female, you will get a lot more poo poo and it will be much more creepy and/or violent. This isn't true of all games or online communities, but it's true enough to be worrying.

E2: and this is without even touching on the whole "presentation of women in gaming" issue that has gotten like six threads gassed already.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 8, 2012

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Whack posted:

It's tragic, I know.

I want to ram my gigantic cock down your throat and ram your tiny rear end in a top hat until it bleeds.

But I digress, I'm really looking forward to that video series.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 8, 2012

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

ToxicFrog posted:

There's a difference between "normal" smacktalk and stuff like "I hope someone rapes and murders you on the way home, you worthless oval office" (Actual Quote TimeTM) or outright threats of violence, and there's a big difference between shittalking someone because it's "part of the game" and doing it because they had the audacity to be female/black/gay/poor in your favorite male/white/straight/rich-dominated game/hobby/bar/profession.
Not getting on Whack's side, but that is an entirely different problem from the minority issues. There is no such thing as "normal" smacktalk, the internet is dumb and stupid and will pick on everything with a pulse regardless of rhyme and reason in full force so even the malest/whitest/straighest can get that sort of vitriol if they're out of luck and it sucks for anyone involved.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

LumberingTroll posted:

Yeah, that doesn't bode well. I mean, TECHNICALLY you can activate each license twice so two guys can THEORETICALLY use one copy, but it's against Unity's license so yeah, they need one license per dude.

Also seconding the Unity love. They do indeed deserve the money, they're awesome and make a great program.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Whack posted:

It's tragic, I know.

Hahaha, you have to be trolling.

You have to be because I refuse to believe someone could be so willfully ignorant.

Edit: Ok, so that I am not the origin of the derail I always hate. If anybody else likes pinball and the Twilight Zone there's this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-twilight-zone/posts/243165?ref=activity

They just added a Star Trek: TNG pinball machine as a stretch goal which is pretty rad. This thread originally pointed me toward them and I'm really excited for this.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 8, 2012

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Overemotional Robot posted:

If anybody else likes pinball and the Twilight Zone there's this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-twilight-zone/posts/243165?ref=activity

They just added a Star Trek: TNG pinball machine as a stretch goal which is pretty rad. This thread originally pointed me toward them and I'm really excited for this.

I didn't know such a thing even existed, but that is some impressive stuff. From what I've gleaned it doesn't exist for PC, will it ever? I'd love to play it.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

lordfrikk posted:

I didn't know such a thing even existed, but that is some impressive stuff. From what I've gleaned it doesn't exist for PC, will it ever? I'd love to play it.

On the Kickstarter it says that it's "coming soon" so I have no idea. I just want to see a Twilight Zone table because it seems cool.

When I was growing up my favorite tables were the Terminator 2 table and the Adam's Family table.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ I looked at that and at first I thought "huh, I thought pinball games pretty much died out years ago".

Then I realized that they were digitizing old physical tables, which doesn't really interest me but is pretty cool. I wonder if there are any similar projects going on for things other than pinball?

SupSuper posted:

Not getting on Whack's side, but that is an entirely different problem from the minority issues. There is no such thing as "normal" smacktalk, the internet is dumb and stupid and will pick on everything with a pulse regardless of rhyme and reason in full force so even the malest/whitest/straighest can get that sort of vitriol if they're out of luck and it sucks for anyone involved.

This is partly true but does not detract from the point, which is why I specifically address it in the post you quoted:

ToxicFrog posted:

E: but to clarify for the people who aren't Whack but are following along, yes, if you play online games people will say mean things to you because you hosed up or you hurt their pride or just because they're shitheads. Boo hoo. However, if you are (or appear to be) female, you will get a lot more poo poo and it will be much more creepy and/or violent. This isn't true of all games or online communities, but it's true enough to be worrying.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dragonrah posted:

Also, what the hell is Mitsoda doing over there?

Mitsoda: And how about this – if we make our stretch goal within five days, we’ll add the FOUR top weapons on our poll as a bonus. For our first stretch goal, let’s try to reach $180,000.

I want you to take my money, but I'm not sure if this is the way to do it.
This is a good time to talk about this one, I guess, especially since the thread got closed. I'm 100% behind Mitsoda and the game, and I'm really looking forward to it, but it just strikes me as a really crummy Kickstarter. The tiers barely have anything interesting in them, especially in terms of justifying the cost (heck, not even any alpha/beta access or anything like that), and now they're offering more content if they hit the stretch goal faster even though they're nowhere near the stretch goal and more importantly it's not like it will get cheaper for them to make the content if the goal is hit faster.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is a good time to talk about this one, I guess, especially since the thread got closed. I'm 100% behind Mitsoda and the game, and I'm really looking forward to it, but it just strikes me as a really crummy Kickstarter. The tiers barely have anything interesting in them, especially in terms of justifying the cost (heck, not even any alpha/beta access or anything like that), and now they're offering more content if they hit the stretch goal faster even though they're nowhere near the stretch goal and more importantly it's not like it will get cheaper for them to make the content if the goal is hit faster.

It's almost like he is going off of what he might have heard someone say how a Kickstarter is ran instead of actually checking one out.

Bloodlines was amazing and I want to back him, but this is just not good. It almost bothers me as much as the Space Quest KSer sending me 5 updates a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

ToxicFrog posted:

This is partly true but does not detract from the point, which is why I specifically address it in the post you quoted:
Sorry I missed the edit :shobon: but I agree, there is never any excuse for shittalking, specially trying to pass it off as "part of the game".