Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Naky posted:

Weapons are distributed through the leveled lists as AS has added them and then drawn from them by the game. How many/often isn't really something we can control though, so yes you can run into situations like that.

That being said, I know Police Automaton has looked into making a script to disable looting weapons from killed enemies to try to cut down on that kind of imbalance and it seems like it can't be done within the game or commands available in NVSE.

I guess all I can suggest is to show some restraint in looting the weapons just like you can ignore all the other many, many ways to break the game's economy in the game.

Alternatively, you could decrease the guns' values. Looted weapons are useful for maintaining your own stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Naky posted:

Weapons are distributed through the leveled lists as AS has added them and then drawn from them by the game. How many/often isn't really something we can control though, so yes you can run into situations like that.

That being said, I know Police Automaton has looked into making a script to disable looting weapons from killed enemies to try to cut down on that kind of imbalance and it seems like it can't be done within the game or commands available in NVSE.

I guess all I can suggest is to show some restraint in looting the weapons just like you can ignore all the other many, many ways to break the game's economy in the game.

My concern isn't how it affects the game economy, but how it affects the people living in Freeside. I watched a thug gun down Old Ben earlier today in a one-sided fight in the wrong direction. I chuckled, opened the console, used resurrect on him, and then helped Ben beat the dude to death with his own spine because Ben's too cool to take that sort of poo poo from a petty thug. :colbert:

I guess what I'm saying is, Freeside Thugs are OP. :P

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 9, 2012

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Cirosan posted:

Again, good suggestion. With poweramp I was able to change everything accordingly, but the file is still silent. I've matched up the format, the number of channels, the sample rate, the sample size, the bit rate, and the encoder, but it still doesn't work. Frankly, I'm out of ideas.

Link me the .wav file you want to use and I can check it out on my end of GECK and try some tinkering.

Re: balance suggestions, all valid points. I leave all balancing for Anime Schoolgirl, but he has a gently caress of a time balancing 400 weapons and to be quite frank there are not enough people who give any sort of feedback regarding game balance so we've always gone with the attitude of no news is good news. I do know, though, that there are times he intentionally gives certain groups access to weapons that makes them overpowered for the evil giggles that result from doing that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Naky posted:

Re: balance suggestions, all valid points. I leave all balancing for Anime Schoolgirl, but he has a gently caress of a time balancing 400 weapons and to be quite frank there are not enough people who give any sort of feedback regarding game balance so we've always gone with the attitude of no news is good news. I do know, though, that there are times he intentionally gives certain groups access to weapons that makes them overpowered for the evil giggles that result from doing that.

All that work is appreciated! For serious, you guys totally have my meaningless thanks.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

QuantaStarFire posted:

Armory question: Are Freeside Thugs supposed to be armed to the teeth with Sig Sauers and Rusty Mac-10s, because every one I kill yields at least 1000 caps worth of guns rather than the usual lead pipe. :/
Sig Sauers no, rusty mac-10s yes (those are supposed to be worth 100 by the way)

Be glad they aren't Fiends wielding single shot .50BMG pistols :shepface:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cirosan posted:

Good call. I checked out most of the vanilla .wavs and they're pretty consistently at 512kbps, which mine wasn't at. Problem is, Audacity can't export a .wav at anything close to that bit rate, nor does it really let you choose what bit rate the file is saved as. Does anyone know of a good freeware program that lets you change the bit rate of .wav files? Basic Google hunting hasn't turned up much.

I think Format Factory will handle that bit rate.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Cirosan posted:

Good call. I checked out most of the vanilla .wavs and they're pretty consistently at 512kbps, which mine wasn't at. Problem is, Audacity can't export a .wav at anything close to that bit rate, nor does it really let you choose what bit rate the file is saved as. Does anyone know of a good freeware program that lets you change the bit rate of .wav files? Basic Google hunting hasn't turned up much.
Try 16 bit 22kHz mono.

Smol fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 9, 2012

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

last post on the last page :negative:

Naky posted:

Link me the .wav file you want to use and I can check it out on my end of GECK and try some tinkering.
Here you go. I'd recommend the rest of you not click on that - not because it's vulgar or anything, but because it'll spoil one of the things I'm adding to Wild Wasteland.

To the rest of you folks trying to help, thanks, but if you'll permit me to quote myself: "With poweramp I was able to change everything accordingly, but the file is still silent. I've matched up the format, the number of channels, the sample rate, the sample size, the bit rate, and the encoder, but it still doesn't work. Frankly, I'm out of ideas."

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Naky posted:

Unless they've fixed the vomiting bug, I'd pass on that.
Up to last night I would have had no idea what you were talking about because I've never seen that, but now the croupiers in Gomorrah are ruining the roulette tables.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Cirosan posted:

last post on the last page :negative:

Here you go. I'd recommend the rest of you not click on that - not because it's vulgar or anything, but because it'll spoil one of the things I'm adding to Wild Wasteland.

To the rest of you folks trying to help, thanks, but if you'll permit me to quote myself: "With poweramp I was able to change everything accordingly, but the file is still silent. I've matched up the format, the number of channels, the sample rate, the sample size, the bit rate, and the encoder, but it still doesn't work. Frankly, I'm out of ideas."

Well, I hate to be that guy that unhelpfully says 'Uh, it works for me...', but
it does.

All I did was save your .wav file into the game's active Data folder, like you would have to for any other art assets you were trying to import into GECK via whatever folder path you want to use. Then I opened an existing sound file, changed the ID to something else to effectively duplicate it and imported the sound file from where I saved it. When I pressed play, it worked. Now, you'll notice I did put a prefix of fx_ but I simply did that as a precaution and I don't think it actually matters.

In any case, it plays and works fine in GECK for me and I wouldn't see any reason why it wouldn't work in game as a result.

Deleuzionist posted:

Up to last night I would have had no idea what you were talking about because I've never seen that, but now the croupiers in Gomorrah are ruining the roulette tables.

I know about it because I've been keeping an eye on all the modding communities and they're all complaining about it, heh.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

No, no, you actually stumbled upon the answer I needed! I noticed you had placed everything in the fx folder, which I hadn't - I just dumped it inside a folder called "cco" in the sound directory - so I put mine in the fx folder as well, on a whim. Lo and behold, it works! Looks like it has to be in the fx directory before it'll work, even if all the settings match up.

Take it to heart, fellow modders: If you're trying to add a new sound effect, it has to be in the sound\fx directory or a subfolder of the sound\fx directory, or it won't work. The filename doesn't need to have any particular tag either - you can name your sound file whatever you want, as long as it's in the right directory.

Thanks again for your help, Naky.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Glad I could help. All those drunken nights modding gamebryo games since morrowind has paid off.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Right there with you, brother. I've been clumsily fooling around with Gamebryo like a blind virgin since the days of Morrowind too.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Naky posted:

Glad I could help. All those drunken nights modding gamebryo games since morrowind has paid off.

Hey dude, did my previous post clarifying stuff about mods help out any?

Quick question to Project Nevada users: Hows the tackle work? Is it strength based or can anyone do it so long as they have the AP? It's not a biggie, it's just that shoulder barging fools before filling them with lead should be easier if you're a hulking brute or wearing power armour.

edit:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't know if the equation got more complicated at some point, but tackling basically works like this: You sprint into an enemy, and if your STR is greater than his, you tackle him. Power Armor can effect this, I believe, and there are several perks (Super Slam and Unstoppable Force) that affect tackles.

Thanks for that, I'm gonna start up today and that works literally exactly how I'd want it to.

I'm fixing to start a low CHA LCK playthrough, going for STR, END and INT. I've put hundreds of hours into this without really exploring heavy weapons, melee combat whatsoever and shittons of questlines like the legions etc.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 10, 2012

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TehGherkin posted:

Hey dude, did my previous post clarifying stuff about mods help out any?

Quick question to Project Nevada users: Hows the tackle work? Is it strength based or can anyone do it so long as they have the AP? It's not a biggie, it's just that shoulder barging fools before filling them with lead should be easier if you're a hulking brute or wearing power armour.

It does no damage so I doubt it's based on any stat. Just ram into whoever you desire to fall over to your hearts content.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hey why Is Cirosan's Classic Overhaul in the OP twice? Particularly since one just leads to the nexus which is just a mirror for his website.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lord Lambeth posted:

Hey why Is Cirosan's Classic Overhaul in the OP twice? Particularly since one just leads to the nexus which is just a mirror for his website.

Oh forgot about the second link. Since it's pretty comprehensive, I just got rid of the one under "perks." Thanks for the heads up.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

TehGherkin posted:

I don't know if the equation got more complicated at some point, but tackling basically works like this: You sprint into an enemy, and if your STR is greater than his, you tackle him. Power Armor can effect this, I believe, and there are several perks (Super Slam and Unstoppable Force) that affect tackles.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

My game crashes when I take out a Mr. Gutsy in the OWB medical facility. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I suspect it could be EVE, but I don't have my load order on hand right now - it should be correct, anyhow.

My game also crashes when I pick up implants. Those are added by PN, aren't they? Any ideas why?

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Since it's pretty comprehensive, I just got rid of the one under "perks."
Yeah, back when things first started the Classic Perks module was the main draw of CCO. Oh, how things have grown since then...

Frankly, I'm not sure how you'd classify CCO. It's an overhaul, sure, but it's also modular, so you could arguably put each component in its corresponding section separately. Beats me. I leave the categorization up to you.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

My game crashes when I take out a Mr. Gutsy in the OWB medical facility. Any ideas as to what might be causing this? I suspect it could be EVE, but I don't have my load order on hand right now - it should be correct, anyhow.

My game also crashes when I pick up implants. Those are added by PN, aren't they? Any ideas why?

I don't know about the implants, but I always had crashing problems when something exploded, like a robot or grenade, when I tried out EVE, so that's probably it. Implants are added by PN, but I'm not sure what could be causing the crash.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What's the best way to get your bearings with NV modding? Online tutorials, the like. TIA

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Rinkles posted:

What's the best way to get your bearings with NV modding? Online tutorials, the like. TIA

Like making mods? Jump in and dissect existing mods and the game combined with help and advice from a community.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Oh boy. Well, for starters, there's the My First Vault tutorial series on the GECK wiki. It does a good job of explaining most of the controls in the GECK and how to make basic landscapes, but it's infuriatingly brief when it comes to basic scripting.

To be honest with you, I have never seen a more derelict wiki than the GECK wiki. Most of the documentation is either incomplete or missing. A huge number of the articles just link to the Oblivion Construction Set wiki.

Could you be more specific about what you want to mod? Do you want to make a new area? Add some new perks? Add a new quest or companion? It'd be a lot easier if you knew exactly what you wanted to do going in. If you can be a little more specific, I'm sure the folks in this thread could help you out more.

Oh, one last thing. This is important. There are a number of functions in the GECK that do absolutely nothing. If you use them, they will parse and/or compile just fine, but they don't actually do anything. There is no way for you to know which functions are broken and which actually work; the GECK won't tell you. The only way to know is to look it up on the GECK wiki and see if it's broken or not.

For instance, of the Entry Points the game uses, seven of them are broken and don't do anything. From what I can tell, a fair number of the bugs in New Vegas' original release stemmed from this fact: Obsidian used functions that didn't actually do anything, but they had no way of knowing that because the documentation was so poor. Another classic example is adding perks to NPCs.

I could go on all day really, but here's the bottom line: Whenever you use a relatively esoteric or obscure function, double-check the GECK wiki to make sure it actually works. You don't know how many times I nearly jumped out the window during the development of CCO because I'd made something very complicated that hinged on a broken function. Learn from me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Well I was thinking of cutting my teeth by making a severely trimmed down version of the Armory, selecting and rebalancing two dozen or so weapons, and perhaps slightly modifying the stock weapons to make for more interesting progressions.

In fantasy land, I've been envisioning a realism overhaul where a single bullet to the head is pretty much a guaranteed death, guns are very rare and a very valuble asset in combat (think Yojimbo), withdrawal symptoms directly affect your character rather than just stats (analogously to crippled limb penalties), crippled limbs require sleep to heal in addition to doctor's bags (i.e., you can't use them during combat) and similar dumb ideas.

I've read up on the GECK wiki and for the time being that coupled with just dicking around with the GECK seems sufficient knowledge for the simple stuff I had in mind. Thanks for the offer to help. If I'm not too lazy and don't abandon this thing altogether, I'll be sure to hold you to your word.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Well I was thinking of cutting my teeth by making a severely trimmed down version of the Armory, selecting and rebalancing two dozen or so weapons, and perhaps slightly modifying the stock weapons to make for more interesting progressions.

In fantasy land, I've been envisioning a realism overhaul where a single bullet to the head is pretty much a guaranteed death, guns are very rare and a very valuble asset in combat (think Yojimbo), withdrawal symptoms directly affect your character rather than just stats (analogously to crippled limb penalties), crippled limbs require sleep to heal in addition to doctor's bags (i.e., you can't use them during combat) and similar dumb ideas.

I've read up on the GECK wiki and for the time being that coupled with just dicking around with the GECK seems sufficient knowledge for the simple stuff I had in mind. Thanks for the offer to help. If I'm not too lazy and don't abandon this thing altogether, I'll be sure to hold you to your word.

So Fallout: Condemned? I like it. Honestly, trimming the mod down to size will not be the difficult part--I've learned that weapon integration is infinitely easier than armor integration. The hard part will be striking a balance in a game where weapons are exceedingly rare (and usually because rarity makes the game easier, not harder.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So Fallout: Condemned? I like it. Honestly, trimming the mod down to size will not be the difficult part--I've learned that weapon integration is infinitely easier than armor integration. The hard part will be striking a balance in a game where weapons are exceedingly rare (and usually because rarity makes the game easier, not harder.)

Getting a gun would be a major boon, but then bullets would be in short supply too.

This not something I seriously expect to be able to put together. I was just musing. For now I want to learn the ropes and have fun with the basics.

e:Regarding gritty realism, I'd love to have a game where you can walk around solving half your problems with an unloaded sawed-off shotgun, Road Warrior style.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 11, 2012

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Removing 99% of ammo wouldn't be that difficult, just time-consuming. Plus, do enemies still have infinite ammo as long as they have one bullet remaining? I know that used to be the case, but I'm not sure if it still is. In that case a raider with 3 bullets is functionally no different from one with 10,000. You would just need to remove all guns and ammo from all the leveled lists and world locations though, which isn't that tough per say. You could leave ammo still in certain lists (like the Brotherhood of Steel, for example) and have pretty much everyone else be unarmed.

Tweaking damage to be one-shot-one-kill isn't too tough either (hell, you can do it in Project Nevada through the tweak menu). You can even have melee weapons still take a few swipes to kill. The real problem is how immensely unfun this would be in New Vegas, since melee enemies will only charge you in a straight line. As soon as a raider spots you, him and all his buddies would immediately swarm and swat at you with pipes, which is a problem when you have no bullets and die easily.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
With the nv script extender, you could make a refwalking (google it, there are tutorials) script that removes world objects from cells the player enters. While a little tricky and easy to screw up badly, this way you could make a mod that removes items also that aren't in containers automatically without having to change every cell, which is a big no-no anyways as cell changes easily make mods incompatible and the game crash-prone for some reason. I am pretty sure the fallout wanderers edition (or sth.) for FO3 did this. Sadly we don't have the functionality skyrim has, where it draws world placed items from leveled lists too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Don't know how feasible this would be, but perhaps you could introduce some new AI routines by which unarmed NPCs (below some threshold, e.g. if their ST is lower than your GUNS/10) cower in fear/flee/turn friendly when you fire a gun, which would mitigate some of the mayhem. I'm certain it'd also make for some emergent hilarity.

If you're without a firearm and don't specialize in the other martial arts, you probably would want to avoid any confrontations anyway. Maybe there could be a way of making fleeing battle easier, like reducing the range at which enemies continue pursuit or perhaps dropping loot as a distraction.

Again, I, obviously, have no tangible grip on what's actually feasible so my apologies if those suggestions are entirely out there.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Don't know how feasible this would be, but perhaps you could introduce some new AI routines by which unarmed NPCs (below some threshold, e.g. if their ST is lower than your GUNS/10) cower in fear/flee/turn friendly when you fire a gun, which would mitigate some of the mayhem. I'm certain it'd also make for some emergent hilarity.

If you're without a firearm and don't specialize in the other martial arts, you probably would want to avoid any confrontations anyway. Maybe there could be a way of making fleeing battle easier, like reducing the range at which enemies continue pursuit or perhaps dropping loot as a distraction.

Again, I, obviously, have no tangible grip on what's actually feasible so my apologies if those suggestions are entirely out there.

There is a mod called "Reactive People" that grew into a peculiar bloated mess. The basic idea was that simply aiming your weapon at an NPC would cause them to react beyond a, "Hey!" Some would cower, others would drop their weapons (or draw their weapons). You could disarm and incapacitate opponents without shooting them. Of course, this naturally led to (sex) slavery features.

Basically, it's definitely possible to add additional routines to the AI.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There is a mod called "Reactive People" that grew into a peculiar bloated mess. The basic idea was that simply aiming your weapon at an NPC would cause them to react beyond a, "Hey!" Some would cower, others would drop their weapons (or draw their weapons). You could disarm and incapacitate opponents without shooting them. Of course, this naturally led to (sex) slavery features.

Basically, it's definitely possible to add additional routines to the AI.

The latest version allows you to play as a Ghoul - talk about feature creep. Otherwise it seems pretty neat, did it actually function properly for you?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

The latest version allows you to play as a Ghoul - talk about feature creep. Otherwise it seems pretty neat, did it actually function properly for you?

I can't vouch for it, personally. It was a novel concept, but I never got around to testing it. If I recall correctly, nobody else on this thread seemed to have used it, either.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I tried it a while ago. It had some neat ideas but rarely seemed to work properly.

EDIT: Man, the mod description for Project Ultimatum (the thing Reactive People has apparently been folded into) really rubs me the wrong way. It's a lovely low-effort mess riddled with typos and leeched images and barely anything is actually explained. That last one is kind of important when the mod is ostensibly making major changes to NPC behavior. Also, he calls slavery "the funny part" of the mod. I wonder if he'll make an extra "comedy" module that allows for selling slaves into prostitution and forcing them to have abortions, now that would be hee-larious!

Horns fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 11, 2012

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Mr E posted:

I don't know about the implants, but I always had crashing problems when something exploded, like a robot or grenade, when I tried out EVE, so that's probably it. Implants are added by PN, but I'm not sure what could be causing the crash.

Okay, I'll get rid of EVE, then, see if that helps. The weird thing is, I didn't have trouble with the implants for a long time, it was only when I tried to pick one up in HH that it resulted in an instant crash. I can't imagine what would be causing it, either, I don't think any of my other mods even touch that functionality.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.

Quickie M37 model, still needs some parts

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Arenovalis posted:

You said on GB that you're not sure if you'll finish it.

You betta.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
Oh gosh I'm being stalked :ohdear:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Arenovalis posted:

I read that as "still needs some pants" I need some sleep obviously...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not

SplitSoul posted:

Okay, I'll get rid of EVE, then, see if that helps. The weird thing is, I didn't have trouble with the implants for a long time, it was only when I tried to pick one up in HH that it resulted in an instant crash. I can't imagine what would be causing it, either, I don't think any of my other mods even touch that functionality.

Was it the one in the Vault 22 dweller's camp?

Because that one caused an instant, repeatable crash for me, as well, and I just gave up on it, wrote it off as an inevitability of modding.