Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ah. Hmm. That's not as good. Sit-stand is wonderful, but standing all day kinda sucks unless you're a fitness superstar.

Tell your ergo person you'll do it only if they get you a electric sit-stand desk. Maybe then he/she will leave you alone.

Or a tall chair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ninja Rope posted:

Or a tall chair?
That could work too, but I suspect if the company is too cheap to spring for a height adjustable desk an ergonomic stool might be out of the question.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can anyone recommend a chair for $100? (could spend more, see after pic) My current chair is amazing: comfy seat, mesh back for ventilation, (adjustable) headrest, back tilts independently from seat, adjustable arm rests (only important to make sure they fit under my desk), but it's 8 years old and the height adjustment is shot, so it's stuck at the lowest height which is about 3 inches too short for my current desk.

I bought this thing for $60 or $70 from Staples/OD/OM on clearance back in 2004. From its feature set, it looks like it was originally about $250-300:

The reason I don't just get a $70 task chair from Staples is because I consume a lot of media on my home PC, so being able to lean back and relax for up to 8 hours is important. I'm not sure I want to spend $200 on a chair because I'll be finishing grad school in a year and I have no idea what kind of home office environment I'll have afterwards (I've been told by friends to ignore this). However, if there's a great chair for a great price, I'd be willing to pay for quality and just deal with moving another piece of furniture.

Considering my old chair was $250, I've come to realize I'll have to spend that much for a replacement. I'd be okay with buying locally or from Amazon. For reference, I'm 6' tall and live in Atlanta.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 13, 2012

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Why not just buy a decent used chair from Craigslist and sell it for $50 less in a year?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mandalay posted:

Why not just buy a decent used chair from Craigslist and sell it for $50 less in a year?
That... is exceedingly pragmatic.

Quick check of Atlanta's Craigslist reveals 1 Steelcase Leap for $275 and some Aerons for $400-450. While these chairs are supposed to be good choices for computer use, what about sitting back and watching TV shows/movies? They don't seem especially comfortable for that, particularly because of a lack of headrest.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
If all that is wrong with your current chair is the height adjustment being broken, have you looked into fixing that? Isn't it just a single part that needs replacing on most chairs?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Aphal posted:

If all that is wrong with your current chair is the height adjustment being broken, have you looked into fixing that? Isn't it just a single part that needs replacing on most chairs?
Yeah, it's usually the cylinder. If you can find out what size your chair has, it's not TOO hard to get a replacement - it's a relatively universal part.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Went with a used Steelcase Leap V2 after deciding the Aeron was overpriced and uncertainty how I would like the mesh. Now to wait to see if I got ripped off!

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Carecat posted:

Went with a used Steelcase Leap V2 after deciding the Aeron was overpriced and uncertainty how I would like the mesh. Now to wait to see if I got ripped off!

Leap >> Aeron. Every time I borrow one at work it makes me rage that a company would waste money on such an uncomfortable chair. What makes it so uncomfortable for me is how the mesh gives to your body weight while the frame does not, leaving it to dig into your thighs. I am far from a buttertroll @ <=65kg.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I wrote off the leap until I finally sat in it. It's unfortunate that it looks so boring compared to, say, the Embody.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
With the new job I can probably afford to pick up a new chair soon and the leap looks like a winner. Time to start scouring craigslist, or maybe I'll try and find a new one.. Any good/cheap stores to check out in the bay area?

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
Is the Leap V2 really that good? It really looks like an cheap chair that you could get in every store.
I'm living in Germany and got no chance to sit in one. I just found some used Leap on Ebay for 357euro, and im thinking of just buying it.
Aerons are really expensive here, a new one costs like 1400euro. :(

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

johnnyXcrane posted:

Is the Leap V2 really that good? It really looks like an cheap chair that you could get in every store.
I'm living in Germany and got no chance to sit in one. I just found some used Leap on Ebay for 357euro, and im thinking of just buying it.

I got one and love it. Look up a few reviews, it's definitely not the most fancy looking chair but the most comfortable one I tried.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

johnnyXcrane posted:

It may looks the same as other chairs, but it isn't. You really have to sit in these chairs to realize why they are so expensive. If you're used to office depot chairs where it's all slammed together with allen bolts and everything rattles around no matter how much you tighten it, a decent chair is a world of difference. You also get a lot more adjustments out of a good chair

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Funny thing is, Leaps actually cost about as much new as Aerons.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

rawrr posted:

Funny thing is, Leaps actually cost about as much new as Aerons.

I've found that the V2 is more expensive than the Aeron, and justifiably so.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I am about to buy a couple of Leaps so if anyone in Perth wants a $1K fancypants chair we might be able to get it slightly cheaper.

Email me james@cox.cx

limbohead
Jan 1, 2005
pigeons is rats with magic inside
I should have read this thread before I got my Aeron. My thighs feel so uncomfortable after sitting on it for an hour and a half. Guess I should return it and get a leap.

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
There are different Leaps like Executive Premium etc.
The only one i can buy used is the Standard, heres a picture:

Are there any important differences between the Leaps or is it more about design? And how important is a headrest for ergonomical sitting?

And what do you guys think about the Herman Miller Embody?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
So I just found a local dealer that will sell me new Herman Miller Embodys for $787.20 + tax, which if I'm not mistaken is a spectacular price. The only adjustment it doesn't have is the seat depth adjustment, which I'm actually getting a quote on now.

I also got a quote from another local office furniture supplier for a Steelcase leap v2. I did really like this chair also, but I didn't have enough time to really test the thing out. The Steelcase from this dealer is $798 (possibly otd). Would probably order online.

Of the two which would last longer? Better back support? Both were ridiculously comfortable compared to the temporary dining room chair I sit in now, so it was hard to gauge when both seem amazing.

e: ^ same question basically

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

johnnyXcrane posted:

Are there any important differences between the Leaps or is it more about design?
Design. I'm pretty sure the "Executive" is just a Leap with leather and chrome.

quote:

And how important is a headrest for ergonomical sitting?
Generally it isn't, and relying on a headrest while working can injure you. Most ergonomists recommend against it unless you have a specific medical need for one.

quote:

It's the best ergonomic chair on the market - and also one of the most expensive.

Knyteguy posted:

So I just found a local dealer that will sell me new Herman Miller Embodys for $787.20 + tax, which if I'm not mistaken is a spectacular price. The only adjustment it doesn't have is the seat depth adjustment, which I'm actually getting a quote on now.
That's bizarre, I've never heard of an Embody without seat depth. From what I understand, it's something inherent to the design of the chair, it can't really be removed.

quote:

Of the two which would last longer? Better back support? Both were ridiculously comfortable compared to the temporary dining room chair I sit in now, so it was hard to gauge when both seem amazing.
Which would last longer is moot, both should have 10+ year warranties supported by the manufacturer if anything goes wrong.

Better back support is relative to each user, but both chairs are really adjustable. I'd lean more towards the Embody, as you're getting a way better deal on it than the Leap.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 21, 2012

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

johnnyXcrane posted:

Are there any important differences between the Leaps or is it more about design? And how important is a headrest for ergonomical sitting?

The "executive premium" or whatever just describes chairs specced with certain upgrades (for example, leather instead of fabric).

The one pictured is a leap V1 arch back, and I actually think those look kind of ugly and dated - the back will look something like this: http://www.oodlesofpartsplus.com/images/pre_owned_leap_chair.jpg, whereas V1 ribbon backs and V2 look like this: http://www.abettersource.com/admine/images/product_images/1305581812_2.jpg which I think looks much more modern. The function is still exactly the same though.

A head rest is nice if you like to recline a lot.

Knyteguy posted:

e: ^ same question basically

I think both have pretty long warranties, so I wouldn't really be worried. Having taken apart two leaps though, I can say that they are built to be very serviceable - almost everything will disassemble easily if you need to replace parts.

I feel that the leap has better back support, since you can adjust the lumbar support height, and also both the lower back and upper back tension. The embody, by comparison, has this ambiguous dial that is supposed to do something like conform to the shape of your spine, but it didn't really make that big of a difference for me.

That said, the Embody looks much much nicer, has a head rest standard, and you're getting a very good deal. It'll probably hold its value better and be easier to resell (used leaps are a dime a dozen from office furniture liquidators). In the end it's a very personal choice - I'd sit in the leap longer so you have a better basis for comparison.

rawrr fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 21, 2012

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

rawrr posted:

That said, the Embody looks much much nicer, has a head rest standard,
I don't think there is a head rest available for the Embody, standard or not.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
From a page ago:

Phiberoptik posted:

Anyone have experience with MadisonSeating.com? They have pretty good deals and I want to make an order but wanna make sure they dont have some of the problems other sties have had since I'll be ordering from Canada.

I just now put together my Leap v2 from Madison. No complaints at all. It shipped on the 15th and arrived today (Colorado). 1 day ahead of the FedEx estimate, it was left outside my house early this morning. Probably should have required a signature.

It came in a nearly-cube box, disassembled (legs, cylinder, back&base, seat) each piece wrapped up tight with lots of heavy duty bubble wrap and loose bubble wrap filling up a fair amount of empty space. Didn't seem like it'd get bounced around inside the box too much. The box wasn't particularly heavy duty, but the shipping job seemed solid. Assembly took about 5 minutes, instructions were included, and I'm sitting it it now. No visible signs of use at all.

A++ would buy again (hopefully won't have to for a long rear end time).

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
Thanks for the answers guys!

Now im really thinking about buying a new Embody.
I'm really envy how cheap all chairs are in the US, i need to pay 2100$ here in Germany for a new Embody. :(
Atleast it got 12 years warranty.

It really sucks that i only can order online, so i got no chance to try out the chair. But with all the adjustable settings i hope its not gonna be a problem.

Ah btw i checked out how much a new Leap would cost here: WHOPPING 2650$.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't think there is a head rest available for the Embody, standard or not.

My bad, for some reason I remember the back rest extending all the way to the top of the head.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

johnnyXcrane posted:

Thanks for the answers guys!

Now im really thinking about buying a new Embody.
I'm really envy how cheap all chairs are in the US, i need to pay 2100$ here in Germany for a new Embody. :(
Atleast it got 12 years warranty.

It really sucks that i only can order online, so i got no chance to try out the chair. But with all the adjustable settings i hope its not gonna be a problem.

Ah btw i checked out how much a new Leap would cost here: WHOPPING 2650$.

I'm surprised there aren't dealers you could try the chair out at. You really, really should sit in the chair before you drop 2 grand on one - I was all set on buying the Embody, and was at the store to place an order, until I sat down on one and decided I didn't like it. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't 1000 dollar good.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
It seems that places like madisonseating.com aren't authorized dealers:

quote:

Steelcase is a registered trademark of the respective owners of such trademarks, and not of Madison Seating. Madison Seating is an independent distributor and is not associated with such trademark owners or the manufacturers of the items sold on this website. Use of manufacturer's names, logos, and identifying marks is for fair use in selling merchandise manufactured by these name brands and does not imply a business relationship between Madison Seating and the manufacturers.
Also: http://www.steelcase.com/en/Shop/dealers/Pages/list.aspx?country=US

Where do unauthorized sellers get their inventory? And does Steelcase honor the warranty if the chair isn't purchased from an authorized dealer?

Edit: Steelcase doesn't honor the warranty on chairs that aren't purchased through authorized channels. So I'd be cautious about buying from grey market distributors, as the warranty is a huge perk.

http://store.steelcase.com/warranty/

10-8 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 21, 2012

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Humanscale actually mentions Madisonseating by name on their list of unauthorized dealers that they will not honor warranties for: http://www.humanscale.com/about/authorizedresellerpolicy.cfm

So how do they get their stock? I would guess a lot of it is used, picked up cheap in bulk from companies that have done bankrupt. And some of it is probably sold to them under the table by authorized dealers that have really good pricing from Steelcase/Herman Miller/Humanscale.

Buyer beware I guess. The furniture industry is a cutthroat business with literally no regulation.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
It's a savings of a couple hundred bucks vs an authorized retailer, but I think it works the same way with refurb or second-hand chairs everywhere, regardless of seller or manufacturer. I haven't checked, but I assume that none of the warranties are transferrable from the manufacturers. I sat in a Leap in a local store, they wanted way more than I could get it for online, I rolled the dice.

Buyer beware indeed. To be honest I made a hasty purchase when I bought from Madisonseating, my back had been bothering me in minor ways for a while, but something really trivial tweaked it and I leaped at the first reasonable deal I found just to get rid of the terrible chair I was using. I'll be satisfied if the new one lasts 2-3 years. If not, I gambled and lost, but checking over the chair I got I think it'll be fine.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

trinary posted:

I leaped at the first reasonable deal

See what you did there.

But yeah, madison seating, national office liquidators etc, all of them are selling used ones from liquidations. "Refurbished" just means they reupholstered it with new fabric, which, in my case (from designerseationg), was really lovely fabric.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Madisonseating lists the condition of all of their chairs as "open box" which means absolutely nothing at all, especially when most chairs sold weren't originally shipped in boxes. I interpret it to be an underhanded way of saying "used".

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
If anyone has a local dealer, and you're a small business owner, check out the S3 pricing for herman miller chairs. It's like 50% off retail, and even cheaper than anything you'll find online (including Madison). And it's authorized dealers giving you quotes, so you'll get the warranty, and it's brand new.

Only catch is you can't choose from all colors/fabrics.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

rawrr posted:

used leaps are a dime a dozen from office furniture liquidators

Yep, I picked up this ugly green Leap for $229 from an liquidator here in California.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Seen an Aeron Type A with arms for £325 ex 20% VAT - what would that be, about $600? Is that any good as a deal?

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
Find a local company that deals in used office furniture and try to find some of the industry standards (Herman Miller Aeron, Haworth Zodi, Knoll Life, etc). They buy these chairs from businesses that close for pennies on the dollars and they can be had cheap and you can usually negotiate with them. Any one of theses chairs will last you 10-15 years easy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Trebek posted:

Any one of theses chairs will last you 10-15 years easy.
Well, that's dependent on how used they were and how easily you can get replacement parts. A new one will certainly last 10+ years, but even then a cylinder or something might fail.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Seen an Aeron Type A with arms for £325 ex 20% VAT - what would that be, about $600? Is that any good as a deal?

Seems like a pretty good deal, especially if it's new.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Knyteguy posted:

Seems like a pretty good deal, especially if it's new.

It's not, but it comes with 12 month warranty at least. Got another place doing used reupholstered Leaps for £174 inc VAT, which I think would be about $260. That sounds fairly good by the look of the thread. Problem is, I haven't had a chance to sit in either and don't know which is good, better or best value. :/

Edit: link for the Leap - http://bit.ly/LFk9DH

From photos in this thread I would guess it's a V2?

Jedit fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raukowath
Jul 5, 2003
Wreaker of Havoc

Knyteguy posted:

If anyone has a local dealer, and you're a small business owner, check out the S3 pricing for herman miller chairs. It's like 50% off retail, and even cheaper than anything you'll find online (including Madison). And it's authorized dealers giving you quotes, so you'll get the warranty, and it's brand new.

Only catch is you can't choose from all colors/fabrics.

What kind of hoops do you have to jump through to get the S3 pricing, do you know offhand? Minimum orders, what do you have to show, etc. I could probably swing getting a small business owner to get me but I'm wondering if they would bother with a single chair from some jerk.