Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

They say you won't find spiky haired protagonists and yet those 4 characters they shown all have very anime hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, I read that description and thought it sounded interesting, went to donate, saw "oh, one of those anime games" and closed the window. Perhaps they were saying no spiky-haired protagonists ironically.

Did we talk about Traveller 5th Edition in this thread? It is the "other" kind of gaming (tabletop), but as Marc Miller's Game Designers' Workshop was run out of my hometown, I feel it is my responsibility to promote the local economy from afar! Even if he lives in Bloomington instead of Normal :mad:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Urdnot Fire posted:

The better to trap them with :allears:

Anyways, since I'm tired of horrible, non-Kickstarter posts, here's an interesting FPS called Retrovirus.

Basically, you play as an anti-virus program and destroy an infection. It's a neat concept and is certainly a diversion from the gritty FPS norm these days. The MOBA multiplayer mode in particular sounds like fun. The team behind this, Cadenza Interactive, created a game called Sol Survivor a couple years back, which itself was a fun little indie turret defense/strategy game.

This looks fantastic and needs more backers.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Kontrabida's added some stretch goals to their page.

Leo posted:

Stretch Goal 1: $12,000 (Done!) - Kontrabida Portal. We'll set up an online service where you can register an account and keep your saved files synced on all devices. Start the game on your PC and continue your progress on a mobile device or another computer!

This online identity can also be used to unify your experience with our future titles; where you can unlock rewards based on your achievements with other games. i.e. Complete Rival Threads Ep1: LCH 100% and Get x reward on Ep2, carry over stats, items, etc.

Stretch Goal 2: $15,000 - The Valentine Prequels. A series of web comics that features Maxwell Valentine, the Class B Marionette Instructor. These comics will introduce you to our world and prepare you for a life inside Vermilion Academy. Professionally made. 12-16 pages per issue. Released on our Kontrabida Portal (Stretch Goal 1)

Stretch Goal 3: $18,000 - (Coming Soon!)

Stretch Goal 4: $20,000 - (Coming Soon!)

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Carecat posted:

This looks fantastic and needs more backers.

Yeah, the latest (I think) video for Retrovirus name-checks Descent, Quake, and Tribes in a sincere and clued-in way. I don't have any illusions that it will have a multiplayer community if/when it gets released (aside from maybe what I can convince some LAN friends to do), but it looks like some fun kind of shootin' stuff if they get a sizable singleplayer portion. I'm on board.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Quarex posted:

Did we talk about Traveller 5th Edition in this thread? It is the "other" kind of gaming (tabletop), but as Marc Miller's Game Designers' Workshop was run out of my hometown, I feel it is my responsibility to promote the local economy from afar! Even if he lives in Bloomington instead of Normal :mad:
It was brought up at some point (otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it and back it a long time ago), and at nearly 600% funding at half-time, it's not like they're doing poorly.

They could have made the reward tiers a bit clearer, though. It has improved some since the start, but with the many different editions and swags and options, it takes a bit of reading to figure out what you get (and even then, it's not entirely clear how the editions actually differ).

Still. 600 pages of P&P RPG — what's not to love? :D

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
Wow, Cloudberry Kingdom is fun as hell. I hadn't actually played it until today but drat, that game is going to be a real hit when it comes out. Or at least I hope it does really well, because the random level design tech going on in that game is mind boggling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XOV9R1DOuE

I made this video to show it off for the guys who missed it, or didn't want to give ~:10bux: to the - extremely sketch looking - demo the dev showed in their video. Someone needs to run a boot camp for Kickstarter folks on how to make sales pitch videos, because they would have done crazy numbers if this game was accurately represented.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Early on the levels seemed very clearly randomly generated, and while not terrible not very good either, but as it went on and got more difficult, it started to generate very densely packed levels that, were they designed by a human, would have required a great amount of care to make them that difficult and tight but still so obviously doable.
It's not exactly Super Meat Boy, but I'm intrigued.

e. Just finished the video. The one you died on seriously was nearly on the level of a Super Meat Boy stage, everything was just so perfectly timed.

Electric Pope fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 17, 2012

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Electric Pope posted:

Early on the levels seemed very clearly randomly generated, and while not terrible not very good either, but as it went on and got more difficult, it started to generate very densely packed levels that, were they designed by a human, would have required a great amount of care to make them that difficult and tight but still so obviously doable.

The thing that makes it cool is that if it can get even get close the the level of Super Meat Boy levels without being deliberately designed by a person, that's totally nuts.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Still. 600 pages of P&P RPG — what's not to love? :D

Examples of mechanics and print layout would have been good, honestly. The Traveller name has been attached to a number of systems over the years, and the table of topics that they have is not particularly illuminating on that front. I couldn't stand Megatraveller and consider the original Little Black Books a historical curiosity at this point, so without actual excerpts or a statement to the effect of 'yes, it's the original rules, accept no substitutes' you're pledging for a pig in a poke.

And shipping the PDF version out on CD is pretty weird in this day and age.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

dvorak posted:

The thing that makes it cool is that if it can get even get close the the level of Super Meat Boy levels without being deliberately designed by a person, that's totally nuts.

Procedural stuff is always cool when it works well. The real benefit to it that I see would be as a starting point for actual designers -- play through enough random stuff, and when you see that spark of potential, polish it and make it better in a way that only a human designer can. Without that final touch it's always just going to be an interesting gimmick.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Electric Pope posted:

e. Just finished the video. The one you died on seriously was nearly on the level of a Super Meat Boy stage, everything was just so perfectly timed.

Have you/you guys read the article on Gamasutra about the level generator?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/170049/how_to_make_insane_procedural_.php

Really cool stuff. The thing I like the best about Cloudberry Kingdom is being able to set custom physics for your dude, though - and it even adjusts the level generator's AI to make sure you never get an impossible level. Sheesh.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Quarex posted:

We talked about it in Trad games a little bit, I think most of us are pretty unexcited by it

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Quarex posted:

It is the "other" kind of gaming (tabletop)

Speaking of tabletop, I have a kickstarter going for my RPG right now. We've got five goons working on it, plus a few other designers: Last Stand is a game inspired by Earth Defense Force, Shadow of the Colossus and Monster Hunter. Players have insect-styled Bio-Armor, they fight giant insects and other vermin, rip off monster body parts to gain new powers, fight city-sized serpents, that kind of thing.

The kickstarter's already at double the funding with about two weeks to go. We're getting close to the $3500 stretch goal, which is a whole new setting and game compatible with Last Stand. This one's about warriors tattooed with the blood of gods, trying to stand against Ragnarok. They do things like climb frost giants and punch them in the face.

The mechanics are all about gambling. Players have tokens to wager, you can accidentally blow up your allies, fighting more dangerous monsters means better powers you can rip from their body parts.
edit: missed the important part, character creation is done through a card draft. We're offering decks of game cards as one of the backer rewards.

Mikan fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 17, 2012

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
They sent out an update on the Cloudberry Kingdom Kickstarter yesterday about how they've messed with the art style since the KS ended, too.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Darthemed posted:

They have a list of "Things You Won't Find In This Game", which includes "Random encounters; Spiky-haired, brooding emo protagonists; Pointless grinding; Mind-numbingly convoluted and pointless puzzles; Bosses with a larger HP count than the national debt; Chosen ones destined to save the world; Magical princesses who stay around just long enough for you to fall in love with before being abducted by the villain"
Sounds like something straight out of 2001. Just really uninspiring stuff. Like some kids just played Final Fantasy VIII and thought "Man, we can totally do better than this!"

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

They say you won't find spiky haired protagonists and yet those 4 characters they shown all have very anime hair.

To be fair, they there won't be any Spiky-haired, brooding emo protagonists. Presumably, their spiky-haired protagonists will all be extroverted and vivacious.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

obliriovrons posted:

They sent out an update on the Cloudberry Kingdom Kickstarter yesterday about how they've messed with the art style since the KS ended, too.

Oh drat, that's nice.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dhagar/cult-awakening-of-the-old-ones

Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones is worth checking out if you're into roguelikes. It's about cults, I guess, and it's going to be all grimdark with lots of demons and poo poo. I'll be watching this one and I'll keep this thread updated.

Raneman fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 17, 2012

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

If anyone is interested there is a pretty good interview with the Dead State developers on RPGCodex. It has Brian, Annie, and Oscar from the development team, project lead, designer/writer, and lead artist respectively.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The kickstarter that always causes derails closed out at $158,917 today. They're "totally overwhelmed."

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Awesome.

In sadder news, I've been waiting for Torchships since I played Nexus: The Jupiter Incident and read Downbelow Station. I just didn't know it.

They're at 25% with 4 hours left. :suicide:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ToxicFrog posted:

^^ Awesome.

In sadder news, I've been waiting for Torchships since I played Nexus: The Jupiter Incident and read Downbelow Station. I just didn't know it.

They're at 25% with 4 hours left. :suicide:
The latest update:

quote:

We are at $11,026 with only 12 hours ago.

At this point instead of letting the funding effort fail I'm going to cancel the Kickstarter and either relaunch with a lower goal and longer time period or investigate using the Minecraft model of early paid releases during development.

I really appreciate the outpouring of support I've gotten from the backers - it does seem a lot of us want to play this game - and especially the great suggestions for gameplay and for pr/marketing.

Please follow us on twitter and sign up for email notifications at our site - that is the best way to follow our progress. I will also set up a forum as well on the site within the next 4-5 days.

Thanks again,

John Gillespie

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The latest update:

That's probably smart. I have no interest in the kickstarter but I sure as gently caress would pay for a beta of that game once they have something playable.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rebel Blob posted:

If anyone is interested there is a pretty good interview with the Dead State developers on RPGCodex. It has Brian, Annie, and Oscar from the development team, project lead, designer/writer, and lead artist respectively.

They're not at their goal yet! :supaburn: why won't you take my filthy European paypal-using money, Kickstarter? :argh:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ekuNNN posted:

They're not at their goal yet! :supaburn: why won't you take my filthy European paypal-using money, Kickstarter? :argh:

Can't you add one of your CC's to Amazon? It's pretty straight forward.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saoshyant posted:

Can't you add one of your CC's to Amazon? It's pretty straight forward.

Credit cards are for Americans, I like to spend the money that I actually have :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

Credit cards are for Americans, I like to spend the money that I actually have :colbert:
It doesn't have to be a credit card, though.
I don't have a credit card and can use the Amazon payment option just fine.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tippis posted:

It doesn't have to be a credit card, though.
I don't have a credit card and can use the Amazon payment option just fine.

I guess you have to get a debit card with one of the major credit card companies then? Or at least I can't find an option for adding a Maestro card, which is the system used by most European banks. Maybe I'm just overlooking something. v:shobon:v

The positive thing to not being able to give money to kickstarter projects is that it has saved me like 300 dollars already, because there's so many good games on there.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

The positive thing to not being able to give money to kickstarter projects is that it has saved me like 300 dollars already, because there's so many good games on there.
I'll grant you that one, and with kickstarter, it becomes rather CC-like anyway since you pledge to spend a whole lot of money at a later date when you most likely won't be able to afford it. :ohdear:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

ekuNNN posted:

I guess you have to get a debit card with one of the major credit card companies then? Or at least I can't find an option for adding a Maestro card, which is the system used by most European banks. Maybe I'm just overlooking something. v:shobon:v
I have a Maestro card too but my bank can generate virtual credit cards I can use anywhere online which fixes the problem. You can check if your bank has something similar or use one of the many virtual / prepaid card services out there.

Tippis posted:

I'll grant you that one, and with kickstarter, it becomes rather CC-like anyway since you pledge to spend a whole lot of money at a later date when you most likely won't be able to afford it. :ohdear:
Or you back a bunch of projects because they'll take months to come due and they all pile up around the same date. :v: The website desperately needs a "how much money I've pissed away" meter, not having a visible log of how much you still owe makes you more careless.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

ekuNNN posted:

Someone put together this pretty comprehensive guide to international/alternative payment options for Kickstarter if you are willing to put in some extra effort into throwing your money at stuff.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Has anyone else noticed that there is a section on KS for Australian projects now? Good to see it's available outside of the US.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Seashell Salesman posted:

Has anyone else noticed that there is a section on KS for Australian projects now? Good to see it's available outside of the US.

You can start a project anywhere in the world but the money still needs to go into an Amazon payments account, which are only support US bank accounts.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw-sjAICwKg

Now they have a video. 2/3 funded so far

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Please don't spend all of it on beer money, guys. I really want to see what you can poo poo out :allears:

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Wow, holy poo poo. That's loving awful.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

I can count so loving many different male character types in that video.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The goal and focus is all over the place, not to mention the video seems like a blatant troll in what media it includes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Womyn

In other news, it seems that Skyjacker has slowed to only a few hundred dollars a day at well less than 50%. It did much better than its first time around, but it still seems really unlikely it will make it.