Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

The goal and focus is all over the place, not to mention the video seems like a blatant troll in what media it includes.

I'm more surprised it has so few down-votes so far, but I suppose people don't care enough to even look it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Electric Pope posted:

In other news, it seems that Skyjacker has slowed to only a few hundred dollars a day at well less than 50%. It did much better than its first time around, but it still seems really unlikely it will make it.

Still a ton of time left, hope it picks up. I totally missed the first attempt and was happy to donate this time around since it looks pretty close to my ideal game in the genre.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Electric Pope posted:

In other news, it seems that Skyjacker has slowed to only a few hundred dollars a day at well less than 50%. It did much better than its first time around, but it still seems really unlikely it will make it.

They've still got over a month left. I may just overly optimistic, but it's my hope that if they ramp up updates, they can still drag in enough attention.

I know some people have complained about update spam, but I really do think that for big-ticket kickstarters like this one, silence is death.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Lord Lambeth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw-sjAICwKg

Now they have a video. 2/3 funded so far

If you couldn't tell this was an obvious joke then I'm really sorry.

Styxscout
May 13, 2011

I predict a Riot
I'm surprised that no one has linked this sandbox mmo that is currently in development.

http://www.embersofcaerus.com/

Developed by Forsaken Studios, they are currently kick-starting to build an investor prototype.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forsakenstudios/embers-of-caerus-investor-prototype

In order to drum up support and seduce an investor they are currently running with this "I give a buck about sandbox gaming" gimmick which lets you pledge a single dollar to show that sandbox full loot pvp games are actually in demand.

They did a whole week of developer diaries that you can watch on their website, and they were at E3 last weekend.

These guys are currently over funded, one guy even pledged 10K to the cause. The devs all come from various backgrounds including UO, Darkfall, Mortal Online, EVE and many other full loot pvp style games.

There has been a lot of attempts by indie developers over the years to create the perfect sandbox mmo so here is another one to pin all our hopes on. They seem to actually communicate with their fan base, which for any Darkfall or Mortal Online fan is a freaking miracle.

With only 30 or so hours to go they have now set a stretch goal of 50,000 dollars which would let them license the software they are using to build the game and buy a whole bunch of crap which games development types use like crack and whiskey.

quote:

As suggested by our community, we decided to start our own Kickstarter campaign, which would allow us to continue working on the game while maintaining full creative control over our vision, ultimately allowing us to bring you the game we all hope Embers of Caerus will become. Thankfully we had great early success, reaching our initial target of $25,000 within just 6 days!

But, we can't stop there. The initial target was set deliberately low, and is only enough to cover the bare essentials of what we need to successfully complete the prototype (if you dont hit your target on Kickstarter, you don't get anything). We have therefore set up a number of stretch targets, which will allow us to obtain much better tools, and secure some fantastic middleware which will take our prototype, and the subsequent game to another level!

The first stretch goal is $50,000, which will allow us to secure all of the additional software licensing, and middleware products we need to add some really cool features to the prototype which will really blow the socks of the investors when its finally complete. So far we have raised $38,888 and have only 33 hours to go, so we need your support to help us get there!

We aren't asking you to give us your support for free though! As part of the kickstarter service, we have offered a whole host of fantastic rewards for the various supporter levels. There are too many to go over in this email, so go check them out yourself!

You can visit our Kickstarter page here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forsakenstudios/embers-of-caerus-investor-prototype

Even if you can't support us yourself (or even if you can!), please help us spread the word! Tell your friends, post it on your social networks, spread it on your community forums. Lets get the word out and really make the big game companies sit up and listen! Sandbox gaming is the future, and the community is ready for it now!

Thank you for supporting us, without you none of this would be possible.

- The Forsaken Studios Team

I thought I would give them a hand and make sure that it was at LEAST posted to SA.

Styxscout fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 18, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Their stretch goal is to acquire the licences they need? For an MMO they only need to raise 25k to make the prototype and then EA or Activision or whomever is going to totally going to give them the 100 million dollars they actually need to make the game in an era where subscription-based MMOs are slowly dying out? This project seems like a good way to get rid of your extra money, at least.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

No, but you see, it's ~*~sandbox PVP~*~. It totally has a huge silent majority audience just teeming under the surface, waiting for the Right MMO. :allears:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I also like that their "promotion" is basically you give us money and in return you will have given us more money in the name of sandbox full loot pvp pride.

Also, reading the kickstarter it looks like this "The devs all come from various backgrounds including UO, Darkfall, Mortal Online, EVE and many other full loot pvp style games." thing means that they've played these games, not that they worked on them.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Al! posted:

I also like that their "promotion" is basically you give us money and in return you will have given us more money in the name of sandbox full loot pvp pride.

Also, reading the kickstarter it looks like this "The devs all come from various backgrounds including UO, Darkfall, Mortal Online, EVE and many other full loot pvp style games." thing means that they've played these games, not that they worked on them.

That kickstarter has got to be one of the most naive ones I've seen so far.
Good luck getting even a basic prototype for that kind of money.
They'd need to tack a couple more zeroes on to the thing.

I'm not really sure if they're just ignorant of what it takes to make an mmo, or if they just want free money.
Either way that's money poorly spent.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That kind of money will buy you a lot of GodWars servers.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

No, but you see, it's ~*~sandbox PVP~*~. It totally has a huge silent majority audience just teeming under the surface, waiting for the Right MMO. :allears:

What like All Points Bulletin? (Which I would've bought the poo poo out of it were it a normal single player game. That loving character creator was amazing)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

They're not at their goal yet! :supaburn: why won't you take my filthy European paypal-using money, Kickstarter? :argh:

Yeah, plus Dead State is in that lull where everyone sees they're 86% funded with more than half of their time still remaining and the incentive to donate is pretty weak. That piled on top of the fact that the reaction to their rewards has been lukewarm at best, I don't see this getting completely funded any time soon. I just hope they pull it together in time to blow as far past their goal as they can in the final super-donation hours.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Are people who missed the boat on Ultima Online / are still nostalgic for it still this gullible after getting ripped off again and again and again? Can't say I feel bad for anyone who pledges money to a project that will be a spectacular failure. I'd place more faith in Your World.

cydereal
Jun 19, 2012

It's eSports. Hooray eSports!
I saw some google alerts that you lot had found my kickstarter (Retrovirus) and figured I'd come in to introduce myself. I normally haunt the EJ forums, and I'm the retard going from EJ to SA instead of the other way around.

The game is a six-axis shooter like Descent, as has been pointed out. We played a ton of multiplayer this weekend at a testing LAN party and had a great time with it. If you have any questions, comments, etc. on Retrovirus, I'm all ears!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Did you see a jump in traffic when Rock Paper Shotgun mentioned you? I'm curious how much getting on their radar matters.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Did you see a jump in traffic when Rock Paper Shotgun mentioned you? I'm curious how much getting on their radar matters.

If that was on the 15th or 16th I'd say it made a difference http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/cadenzainteractive/retrovirus/

cydereal
Jun 19, 2012

It's eSports. Hooray eSports!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

RPS accounts for about 25% of our total revenue between their two posts, one this saturday and one the saturday prior. Pretty good considering it was at the bottom of the page and in mixed company. Their last bit on us was a pretty solid thumbs up too.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Kyrosiris posted:

PoisonedV posted:

Are people who missed the boat on Ultima Online / are still nostalgic for it still this gullible after getting ripped off again and again and again? Can't say I feel bad for anyone who pledges money to a project that will be a spectacular failure. I'd place more faith in Your World.

That's because people think like you guys that the MMO genre will probably never evolve beyond Wow clones. Believe it or not but there are people, not necessarily UO vets, that love sandbox MMO. There are still custom servers being run and developed for UO right about now (Even a group of Goons is currently working on one : http://www.relpor.com/). You will never achieve the level of adrenaline you can get in such a game.

A big studios will never risk so much money on an MMO that is not vaguely resembling WOW in some way or has a juicy real money auction house or micro transactions.

Also a prototype for an MMO, and I emphasize here the word Prototype, should largely be possible with that kind of money. Nowadays with engines capability setting a client / server architecture with a database behind it is not rocket science any more. They won't be able to implement everything they want but that's not the goal of a Prototype anyway.

If people are waiting for Blizzard or any big publishers to push the genre I think we'll be waiting for a long time.

That Retrovirus game looks really nice, pledged 15$ hope you guys will reach your goal.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'd love a sandbox MMO or maybe even a toolset MMO like Neverwinter Nights, but I don't think Kickstarter is the model that will help it get made, except maybe the latter one.

MMO's cost way too much money for a Kickstarter to launch it.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

People have been trying to make that ~Perfect Dream Sandbox PvP No Classes No Levels MMO~ for years now and they've all bombed because when you solely advertise the game as a big grief sandbox, nobody wants to play.

The only successful open world MMO in that vein is EVE, and it works in the same way UO actually worked, it draws in multiple types of players, and not just PRO PK BANDITS, and then the game mechanics sometimes force them to interact, which causes the stuff that people remember. UO was the same way. This project is really no different from Darkfall or Mortal, it's trying to recreate something that never actually existed outside of a bunch of rose tinted memories.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lord Lambeth posted:

What like All Points Bulletin? (Which I would've bought the poo poo out of it were it a normal single player game. That loving character creator was amazing)

Like every "hardcore PVP MMO" ever. People always imagine that there's this huge mass of players who ABSOLUTELY WANT TO play a game where you can murder someone and steal all their poo poo and ruin five weeks of work. Then it turns out that no, just a few crazies do and everyone else kind of looks in, shakes their head and walks away.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I guess the Tallon Zek server from Everquest just doesn't constitute an entire market.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

cydereal posted:

I saw some google alerts that you lot had found my kickstarter (Retrovirus) and figured I'd come in to introduce myself. I normally haunt the EJ forums, and I'm the retard going from EJ to SA instead of the other way around.

The game is a six-axis shooter like Descent, as has been pointed out. We played a ton of multiplayer this weekend at a testing LAN party and had a great time with it. If you have any questions, comments, etc. on Retrovirus, I'm all ears!

Real stupid question, but the $30 support tier includes a copy of the final game as well as access to the beta? The text mentions that you'll get a copy of the soundtrack, not the game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Le0 posted:

Believe it or not but there are people, not necessarily UO vets, that love sandbox MMO.

Clearly. No one is discounting this. People are discounting the insinuation that there are enough to maintain an subscription-based MMO, especially when it is postulated as basically a griefer's playground and not anything of merit.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Overall it just seems like for many people the competitive game with persistence itch is scratched quite well by existing PVP games(anything from Call of Duty to Dota), virtually all of which have persistence, leveling up, gear, etc, with much more predictable and well-designed environments, less serious lag limitations, and a clear winner and loser.

edit: Also the standard RPG mechanics of getting more powerful as you level up, when they're applied to a permanent character in a PVP game, spoil competition. If ultimately a PVP encounter is just as likely to come down to who has played the game for more hours as it is to come down to who is actually more skilled, it is not a good competitive game and probably shouldn't involve PVP.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 19, 2012

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

If you couldn't tell this was an obvious joke then I'm really sorry.
It must be nice to still have faith in humanity.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Talking about sandbox MMOs and no one has mentioned Face of Mankind yet? For shame.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw-sjAICwKg

Now they have a video. 2/3 funded so far

Hey we have no idea about critical gender theory or any other theory that might actually have some sort of authoritarive input on the topic, but we're going to make a video anyway because seriously guys its insulting to be represented as heroic warriors with perfect values and a phoenix-from-the-flames ability to rise above insurmountable odds and save the world around us. Its insulting to be represented as important. Its insul...oh gently caress me in the eye.

Dipshits.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

duck monster posted:

Hey we have no idea about critical gender theory or any other theory that might actually have some sort of authoritarive input on the topic, but we're going to make a video anyway because seriously guys its insulting to be represented as heroic warriors with perfect values and a phoenix-from-the-flames ability to rise above insurmountable odds and save the world around us. Its insulting to be represented as important. Its insul...oh gently caress me in the eye.

Dipshits.

This is precisely why it bugs me that a lot of people's response, no matter how well meaning, to someone critiquing gender in video games is "somebody should do one for men!" There are a lot of things to criticize about the white male (first world) power fantasy that makes up most video games but that it is insulting to men on the basis of their gender isn't one of them.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Gentrieve˛.

"A 3D, first person procedurally generated Metroidvania action game" :ughh:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Wait, that documentary isn't a joke response to the female tropes one? They're serious.

At this point I feel like I should just start a Kickstarter for burning money. Some guy tried to raise $5000 to burn it in protest of tax day, but only managed to raise $500 or so. I figure with the right momentum I could do better.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wait, that documentary isn't a joke response to the female tropes one? They're serious.

At this point I feel like I should just start a Kickstarter for burning money. Some guy tried to raise $5000 to burn it in protest of tax day, but only managed to raise $500 or so. I figure with the right momentum I could do better.

It's kind of a joke. It's a joke for the people who made it, but they still are seriously asking for money. So it's more like a giant "gently caress you." They contrived from the start, in some 4chan thread, to not take it seriously and just get a bunch of money and donate it to charity because "youtube videos are easy to make and we'll show those women how silly they are asking for money for some videos."

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a joke because it's terrible, but it's not terrible because it's a joke.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

gschmidl posted:

Gentrieve˛.

"A 3D, first person procedurally generated Metroidvania action game" :ughh:

"You may also know me by my online al-e-us, fruit"

Nope, can't say I do. Isn't 3079 terrible?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

YOURFRIEND posted:

Oh, that's the guy who made 3079? Yeah, that game manages to be worse than Minecraft in every respect. I always assumed that game was made by Eastern European children it was so ugly and incoherent.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

YOURFRIEND posted:

It got a decent amount of indie press as a prototype, and then it turned out that the prototype was intended as a finished commercial product, which seemed to leave most of us a bit confused.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Shalinor posted:

It got a decent amount of indie press as a prototype, and then it turned out that the prototype was intended as a finished commercial product, which seemed to leave most of us a bit confused.

Yeah, I picked it up as part of a bundle and thought it looked pretty cool, and was looking forward to what it would eventually turn into.

And then he added like 2 new features and called it finished.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

YOURFRIEND posted:

Please. It's spelled 'phr00t'. (No, really, it is)

Gumog
Mar 20, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was thinking of starting one to help pay off my student loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

phr00t is like Ulillillia's evil twin, terrible in all the ways Uli is inspiring.