Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Nierbo posted:

She doesn't care Niethan, defender of the internet and all that is good in the world and on forums™ . Its super cute and I'm proud.

Don't be mad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ligur posted:

Hahaha you're saying they are throwing the "Hot Dog Stand Drop Hammer" :haw:

This is so funny I got a little excited so let me elobarate on the etomology (and the punch itself!). This curious name is a translation of the Finnish word "nakkikiskaheijari" which originates from the fact drunks at hot dog stands/night grills, a fixture of every Finnish urban center (where you usually have to fight someone when you try to purchase your extremely late night greasy snack after a long, long night out) just wing these wide looping right hands at each other and the word literally translates to "hot dog stand drop hammer".

Someone who trains can of course throw a punch sort of like, i.e. the swing in traditional boxing or say Savate (or "russian hook" in MMA circles) preferably as a counter (or just as a two hand assault like young Fedor Emelianenko) but unfortunately the typical newbie/drunkard Hot Dog Stand Drop Hammer is 1) not set up 2) is telegraphed from a mile away 3) and is, finally, slooow.

Actually, someone once tried to assault me with the HDSDH. Blocking or slipping it was so easy I was for once amazed even of myself and nobody was harmed during the incident.

Anyway your assesment of your new guys is pretty spot on.... But! When you get a little hang of normal straights, timing and defense, it can have it's uses as a counter-punch. A former boxer who once ranked #3 in his weight class here sometimes ate up a jab to his forehead just so he could use the right swing to punch over the jab and rock the guy. We were talking about it and he said he figured, sure, I might eat one stiff jab, but it's my forehead, and if the other guy had a nasty jab he'd lose his confidence on using it much after that happened. (I can see the potential of his tactic, but I can also see that the guy is a little "weird" these days from eating all those jabs...)

Lately when I instruct hand technique classes I sometimes have people throw 'em! 50% for the fun of it to lighten up the class and so they can say "hey mommy/gf, we were practicing hot dog stand drop hammers today!" and 50% because people who never knew they can punch hard suddenly realize they can. I've seen slightly built girls throw overhand swings that would drop a 220lbs drunk one shot. (I also tell people never to actually try it when sparring of course.)

haha I wish they could be as nice as the swing. These are literally the worst cock back cause I think this is what makes power hooks. You may ask why we are letting them spar and it's because they loving trick us. Shadow boxing, pad work, hitting the heavybag all great straight punches. Get into spar everything goes out the loving window.

Funny story: After a golden gloves fight filled with this same sloppy punching on kid starts shadowboxing to show he won I guess. Same thing perfect punches. I yelled " Why didn't you punch like that during the fight?" and the whole place went up in laughter.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KidDynamite posted:

These are literally the worst cock back cause I think this is what makes power hooks. You may ask why we are letting them spar and it's because they loving trick us. Shadow boxing, pad work, hitting the heavybag all great straight punches. Get into spar everything goes out the loving window.

Funny story: After a golden gloves fight filled with this same sloppy punching on kid starts shadowboxing to show he won I guess. Same thing perfect punches. I yelled " Why didn't you punch like that during the fight?" and the whole place went up in laughter.

You mean they cock back or chamber, that is pull their hands back before their swings and think that makes it POWERFUL, right? That's telegraphy as poo poo of course etc. I set personal targets to what I teach periodically, and on of my themes in 2012 has been to launch punches from your jawline without the "swimming" or "cocking an arrow" movement.

Anyway for anyone interested IMO you can even demonstrate it by throwing a wiiiide loooping swing at someone holding a pad in a 1 kilometer arc. It makes a nice bang, no? Then do the same thing without cocking back but simply throw a loose punch with max speed. You can achieve the maximum acceleration in a relatively short movement. The wide arc does nothing at all, or at least not very much, to increase the power of the punch. And it makes the same nice bang! After you hit the acceleration max, that's (what I PERSONALLY think) is also the power max.

Then people often go "oooh, that's it" and start cocking back less since they are 1) told why 2) demonstrated why 3) and can try and confirm the result for themselves.

But yeah of course in a fight or heavy sparring people (incl. me) for some reason tend to forget it and start brawling and punching from behind their backs and poo poo :)

edit: just came from sparring & throwing a boxing class after for a bachelor party group. The guys were hungover as poo poo but were mostly (non-combat) athletes and handled it pretty well and it was fun as hell. For the final we had the hero of the day go through a single 5 minute round when we changed his sparring partner every 30 seconds, every other change being me or one of our boxers who agreed to help. Hehe! Tough guy, he took the shots like a man despite his, uhh, less than optimal condition.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 16, 2012

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Won my first adcc match by points, screwed up my knee in a heelhook in the second after like a minute, but said gently caress it and went for the bronze finale anyway.

Messed up my knee a little bit more, but it was worth it! Might just be a bronze, but now I've got my first medal! Feel pretty good getting a medal in advanced considering that I never managed to pull off any meaningful wins in beginner.

I might have done better in my second if I had respected his leg locks, but it's the first time I've ever tapped out to one, in training or competition. Oh well!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Bohemian Nights posted:

Won my first adcc match

Say, what? You won an ADCC (regional) match? I remember a few years ago you were just starting with grappling and even the phase (which most of us stumble into at some point) where you felt you don't progress at all anymore and were losing your motivation.

Hats loving off to you bro.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Ligur posted:

I respect you too. Congrats.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I rubbed the skin off the center of my feet doing bag kicks so now I have constantly weeping feet wounds.

I broke the blood vessels in the surface of my back doing wall walks on the cage so now I have wings.

If I get blisters on my hands from lifting weights, gently caress it, I'm going to wear a crown of thorns and call myself jesus.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Well, gently caress. The main sponsor at my gym just realized he's not going to be the next Joe Gold and pulled his funding. Does anyone here have experience rounding up sponsors/advertisers/etc for a gym?

I've got some contacts in tribal gov't, so I'm going to check out what we might do as a 501(c)3 "youth development" organization, but I'm sure there are other angles I'm not considering.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Ligur posted:

Thank you so much! Yeah, it was a regional (norwegian) adcc to qualify for the European adcc, so we're not talking the cream of the grappling crop on a worldwide basis, but everyone in my division were competition veterans in the Scandinavian circuit. Except me, I guess!
Just watched my finals match again for the first time, and although it didn't end with a submission as I'd have liked, atleast I spent almost all of it in either topmount or backmount, so that's cool.

More than anything I really need to work on my mental game, though. I expected to somehow lose pretty much all the way to the end, but maybe getting this win will help boost my ego a bit!

E; The people from from my club also netted up more wins than losses, so I'm just so proud of everyone -and we secured another silver medal in the beginners division. It's cool to get props from the much bigger grappling clubs, and their reaction is double as sweet when we say we do trad jits and not bjj! :v:

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 16, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Well, gently caress. The main sponsor at my gym just realized he's not going to be the next Joe Gold and pulled his funding. Does anyone here have experience rounding up sponsors/advertisers/etc for a gym?

I've got some contacts in tribal gov't, so I'm going to check out what we might do as a 501(c)3 "youth development" organization, but I'm sure there are other angles I'm not considering.

You're american indian right? My boxing coach is first nations but I'm up in Canada so I don't know what funding looks like down there

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Felt like an alpha male last night because I got my fourth stripe last night at a Pateta seminar, hopefully I'll test for blue belt before this decade is over!

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
So I've been doing the uchi komis seen at the very end of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIlF1oATn2s&t=533s
and I think I've got them down but can't exactly see the move, does anyone have a better link or description of this?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

mewse posted:

You're american indian right? My boxing coach is first nations but I'm up in Canada so I don't know what funding looks like down there

Yeah, I'm with the Muscogee Nation and the tribe is super fired up about having athletics for our youth. IIRC, we even got part of the way through starting up a boxing gym before the would-be head trainer had to retire for his health. Of course, going through the tribe might end up blossoming into something totally different that just getting some rent money for the gym.

On topic: Does anyone here use grappling socks?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

CivilDisobedience posted:

So I've been doing the uchi komis seen at the very end of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIlF1oATn2s&t=533s
and I think I've got them down but can't exactly see the move, does anyone have a better link or description of this?
I've only briefly done Judo, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

To me it looks like that part from 8:55 to 9:00 is him doing uchikomi for Uchi Mata or Ashi Guruma

He's crossing the left leg over to be able to get in deep enough for what he is setting up with the right leg.

Also what he is doing with the collar appears to be important too.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I can't watch that video cos I'm shaped but why the heck would you do uchi komi without knowing what the throw is?

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
So you can shadow uchi komi down the street and impress everyone.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Nierbo posted:

I can't watch that video cos I'm shaped but why the heck would you do uchi komi without knowing what the throw is?

Uchi komi aren't actually meant to set up specific throws, they're more like fancy penetration steps that let you draw power into your hips without impeding your ability to move. We get taught as beginners that uchi komi are about lifting people in various directions, but that's a big oversimplification, and that model gets revisited and revised into something more realistic in the dan grades through kata study.

The movement in question looks to me like the beginning of an ouchi gari, which is basically the point: if my entry is good, I'll have a variety of equally effective ways to finish the throw, and I can just do whatever comes naturally.

So I guess the short answer is that I'm practicing because I think it'll help me attack more fluidly while sliding counter clockwise around an opponent.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 17, 2012

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I'm not a small guy, but I really liked this video. It's about jiu-jitsu for small guys and the mental game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAf4aRszdT8

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Uchi komi aren't actually meant to set up specific throws, they're more like fancy penetration steps that let you draw power into your hips without impeding your ability to move.
Wow, I never thought about it like that. Thats actually pretty drat profound.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Glad it meant something to you. I can't comment about the significance of that kind of epiphany when it comes to actually improving your physical judo, but I'll tell you that the Tsunoda vid has given me a LOT to think about. The hip snap entry here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY223R2ujCY&t=109s where he breaks the uke's balance and fits in at the same time, and the ripple step entry here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIlF1oATn2s&t=325s have been really addictive to practice because they teach tai sabaki just by doing.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 18, 2012

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Glad it meant something to you. I can't comment about the significance of that kind of epiphany when it comes to actually improving your physical judo, but I'll tell you that the Tsunoda vid has given me a LOT to think about. The hip snap entry here where he breaks the uke's balance and fits in at the same time, and the ripple step entry here have been really addictive to practice because they teach tai sabaki just by doing.

those are wicked videos thanks for sharing that. I watch the first video you posted from the beginning and it gave me an epiphany on my lifting motions.

We do a lot of uchi komi too. The last one looks like the diagonal cross step entry. I'm currently practicing it for uchi mata, ashi guruma, and harai goshi, but I've seen it used for a bunch of other throws - tai otoshi, seio nage, koshi guruma...

here we go, begin @ :20 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbs_aGNZVnI.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 19, 2012

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
What a wonderful sparring session err circuit training with a class of people who don't fight. You guys know the basics of circuit right? Sure. So one of my boxing friends is prepping for a fight in two months and started of early because he'll go to a vacation next week which cuts training time.

Our cunning method of circuit training was as follows: at our club they usually rotate 1 minute at a bag, 1 minute calisthenics, 1 minute of shadow boxing/calisthenics. We skipped the bag and shadow boxing, and did 1 hour and 15 minutes of 1 minute calisthenics followed with 2 minutes sparring (while some of the aerobics people watched in slight confusion but hey our club is also a martial arts club so it's good they see that side too). That's a few rounds all in all. Also he's, like, quite better in boxing so now my jaw feels slightly out of position and tomorrow my face will probably be of un-regular dimensions but GOD drat THIS poo poo RULES.

Why is getting punched in the face so much fun? Why?

edit: I set a new target for the summer, that is, drop from heavy to light heavyweight and the next time we have a gym competition to fight twice, once in boxing and once in Savate. Support is welcome!

Ligur fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 18, 2012

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am moving into a house with no garage but it has a large, two-car steel carport thing. I am tempted to hang a heavy bag from the carport - you guys think this is feasible? I am mostly concerned that it will make an insanely large amount of thunderish noise when I use it - I kicked a support beam directly and the whole structure resonated a moderate amount. I am hoping that the hanging bag won't impart too much force up the chain to make the carport rattle, but I've never hung a bag from a carport before.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

entris posted:

I am moving into a house with no garage but it has a large, two-car steel carport thing. I am tempted to hang a heavy bag from the carport - you guys think this is feasible? I am mostly concerned that it will make an insanely large amount of thunderish noise when I use it - I kicked a support beam directly and the whole structure resonated a moderate amount. I am hoping that the hanging bag won't impart too much force up the chain to make the carport rattle, but I've never hung a bag from a carport before.

It might be feasible yes. I had a bag in my attic for 1.5 years. I insulated the bag (and the noise) from the structure by a thick roll of heavy rubber mattress betweent the chain and the beam. So what I did wasa basically take a bag and chain, wrap a thick layer of rubber on wherever you hang the bag from, and throw the chain on the bag around the thick (2-3 inch) rubber insulation. Rubber mutes sounds like mofo and hence, no noice.

If you can't use rubber insulation though, not exactly sure if I figured your possible setup yeah it's going to bang and reverbate but with the rubber (you can get it from any general store which sells construction and building and paints) it'll block the sound.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Been watching the EM games, and realized they're an amazing resource for learning how to kick. The slow motion in HD shows every little detail. For example, see Mario.Gomez

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX
So I won the Longpoint Open Longsword tournament in Maryland this past weekend. 44 fighters total. The first phase was pool fights for seeding into a 16 person double elimination bracket and the finals were fought later in the evening.

To quickly explain the rules, since this isn't your basic 'every hit is worth one point' rule set that some of you might have seen in other HEMA videos, every hit is based on 4 gates that each award a point from each judge. Getting to 11 points wins the match, meaning someone can win in one hit if it's really well done and all the judges see it.

Contact: The hit was made with the point, edge or pommel (on the mask)
Quality: The fighter isn't falling over, trying to swing with one hand on the pommel or flailing somehow.
Target: A hit to the head or torso
Control: Controlling the other guy's weapon either with your own sword or through grappling.

Double hits were thrown out in the finals, of which there aren't any in this fight, and afterblows (receiving a hit after you made a hit) only qualified or the Quality point (You'll see this once in the video).

I'm blue on the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKMdJsBpzV4&hd=1

Edit: Don't mind the silly music or the ending. This isn't an event video but rather from one of the audience.

A flying piece of fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 19, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Guilty posted:

Been watching the EM games, and realized they're an amazing resource for learning how to kick. The slow motion in HD shows every little detail. For example, see Mario.Gomez

The...Everyday Math games, according to Google?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

kimbo305 posted:

The...Everyday Math games, according to Google?

European soccer tournament

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

Guilty posted:

European soccer tournament

Soccer kicks are a terrible way to kick and I had to unlearn a lot of stuff when I started sparring. They come way to wide and are too telegraphed.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
Yeah sorry, man. I can't really agree with that either. I played soccer for a LONG time, and the kicks seem vastly different. I don't watch pro or anything really anymore, but I'm having a hard time drawing the comparison in my head. The kicks have nowhere near the same goal, technique, or setup.

That said, soccer made me really good at win-sprints durring training.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ya, soccer teaches you how to use your hips to create power but that's about it. I'd say a good soccer player should only require 6 months to get as good as a typical guy who's been training for a year, but there are no long term benefits.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Welp. My elbow got popped by a straight armbar last night. Just an accident really. Time for the ice and NSAID's.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

A flying piece of posted:

So I won the Longpoint Open Longsword tournament in Maryland this past weekend. 44 fighters total.

I'm blue on the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKMdJsBpzV4&hd=1

Nice one, man. Good fight to watch. Did Red get the afterblow on the first exchange?

Also, interesting scoring system. How did the judges fare with it? Seems a bit complex.

A flying piece of
Feb 28, 2010
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING AS CHEX

Rhaka posted:

Nice one, man. Good fight to watch. Did Red get the afterblow on the first exchange?

Also, interesting scoring system. How did the judges fare with it? Seems a bit complex.

Red got the full hit on the first exchange. If you mean the first exchange that I scored, no. His attempt at a thrust barely missed.

The scoring system was a giant gamble. We didn't know if it would go smoothly or not because it IS more complex than normal. However, the judges picked it up pretty easily and, besides some minor misunderstandings throughout the day, were consistent.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

TheKingslayer posted:

Welp. My elbow got popped by a straight armbar last night. Just an accident really. Time for the ice and NSAID's.

Yikes! That sucks. Hope you recover quick, dude.

A flying piece of posted:

So I won the Longpoint Open Longsword tournament in Maryland

Congratulations! Swordfighting just looks like so much fun.

Edit:
My last match this weekend. I've asked for feedback in the grappling thread.
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrmC3SDNYkg
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NWg9kCGBac

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 19, 2012

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Strikechat:

I'm having a lot of trouble with guys who back up/circle away unnecessarily from my strikes. For example: I paw lead inside leg kicks to establish my striking range, but it almost becomes irrelevant when every time I raise my leg they immediately dash back 4 or 5 steps.

It's an easy way to tire out skittish opponents, but the problem persists outside of trying to establish range. A lot of my opponents will dash 4 or 5 steps out of my range every time I try to land any kind of punchkick combination. I end up having to almost run after some guys and then I'm open for rebound pushkicks/teeps before I have any chance to connect.

With this situation in mind, how do I respond to guys who are constantly backing up/circling away besides waiting for them to tire out?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fontoyn posted:

With this situation in mind, how do I respond to guys who are constantly backing up/circling away besides waiting for them to tire out?

I wouldn't worry about it. If your coach is not making them engage you, then you're outscoring them over the course of the round. And your coach should be making them fight, otherwise it's a waste of time for both of you.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fontoyn posted:

Strikechat:

I'm having a lot of trouble with guys who back up/circle away unnecessarily from my strikes. For example: I paw lead inside leg kicks to establish my striking range, but it almost becomes irrelevant when every time I raise my leg they immediately dash back 4 or 5 steps.

It's an easy way to tire out skittish opponents, but the problem persists outside of trying to establish range. A lot of my opponents will dash 4 or 5 steps out of my range every time I try to land any kind of punchkick combination. I end up having to almost run after some guys and then I'm open for rebound pushkicks/teeps before I have any chance to connect.

If they are backing up, continue pressuring them - if they are backing up, (1) they aren't throwing anything at you, (2) they may trip themselves and (3) they will run out of room and then you get to pummel them against the wall.

If they are circling out, just wait a bit. They can't attack you if they are constantly circling out and retreating, so let them come to you a little. When you see them plant their feet (or just one foot), you know they can't get out easily, so that's when you go in.

If they don't plant their feet, and thus do not commit their weight and power to an attack, then they are just fluttering around throwing half-hearted strikes - which is fine for them to do, but shouldn't concern you because they are basically just performing some interpretative dance.

I've sparred against people who just dance around because they are a) afraid of getting hit and b) lack confidence in their own attacks. For these people, you just wait. If you get bored, try to zone them into a corner.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

gregarious Ted posted:

Soccer kicks are a terrible way to kick and I had to unlearn a lot of stuff when I started sparring. They come way to wide and are too telegraphed.

They're nearly identical to Dutch modified Thai kicks. The power results speak for themselves. There are a few modifications needed, but the upper body posture, arm swing, chamber and snap are nearly perfect.

I'm not saying that it should replace Thai training, but you could learn a lot by watching Gomez score a goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fontoyn posted:

Strikechat:

A lead inside leg kick should be pretty much impossible to back out of, I think you need to find a better way of establishing range or you're just too slow and need to work on that instead.

Don't throw anything until they're in range. They're got 3 options: a)engage b)back up into the ropes c) circle away. a) b) will play into your game and c) can be countered by rushing them with a hard roundhouse to the body. Shogun-Machida 1 is a good example of how to deal with lateral movement (you lose and knock them out the next time by bumrushing).

• Locked thread