Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rascar posted:

Apparently there is going to be a new patch to 3SO.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/06/17/iron-galaxy-studios-reveals-street-fighter-iii-3rd-strike-online-edition-patch-plans-and-details/

I don't know how many people still play this, but its pretty cool I guess.

They don't say they are going to add a sound when you find a match with matchmaking. I don't play 3S really, but the most annoying thing about 3SO to me was not only that matchmaking took forever, it was that it didn't make any noise so I had to literally poll my tv to see if I found someone. I'd rather go look at my PC until I found an opponent, but now I miss them if I do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande

Digital_Jesus posted:

Ryu. I can play some matches with you tonight if you want, round 8-9pm Est.

Or Akuma.

Hell play Hakan.

I'd be down for tonight except 1) I need to go buy a headset and 2) I have a paper due tomorrow that I haven't even started on, so that kind of takes priority.

I was originally first interested in playing Balrog but charge characters scare me :ohdear: maybe I'll give him another shot

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Just got my Hitbox today and so far I really like it. I've only messed around with it for about 20 minutes but it already feels pretty natural. The only thing I've struggled with on it so far is 360s, but I think I'm getting the hang of those too.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Rokstar posted:

Just got my Hitbox today and so far I really like it. I've only messed around with it for about 20 minutes but it already feels pretty natural. The only thing I've struggled with on it so far is 360s, but I think I'm getting the hang of those too.

Regarding Hitboxes, from what I've seen of them, they generally have the thumb as down (?), but is it comfortable/feasible to shift your fingers one over, so your pinky is on the far left? I'm not really comfortable using my thumbs on stick, and pinky feels much more natural.

I've been considering buying one, but if it doesn't work that well, I may just look into building one instead.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

S-Alpha posted:

Regarding Hitboxes, from what I've seen of them, they generally have the thumb as down (?), but is it comfortable/feasible to shift your fingers one over, so your pinky is on the far left? I'm not really comfortable using my thumbs on stick, and pinky feels much more natural.

I've been considering buying one, but if it doesn't work that well, I may just look into building one instead.

The thumb is up, the big button is Jump, and it's kind of a big deal if you're playing a game like AE where jumpins are death. But it's not hard at all to use those three fingers like that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

redmercer posted:

The thumb is up, the big button is Jump, and it's kind of a big deal if you're playing a game like AE where jumpins are death. But it's not hard at all to use those three fingers like that.

I actually just looked at the site for the first time in forever, and saw that jump is expected to be pressed with your right thumb on the video. (I've only seen production photos before.) Nuts to that.

Yeah, if I ever decided to try my hand at one, I'd just build one in that case, since that would throw me way the hell off. I'd have to align the buttons as a mirror to the right side, with some decent spacing between them, for it to be comfortable. Oh well.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It's placed so you can use either thumb. I switch depending on what I'm doing.

It's completely natural having played PC games with the same setup for 20 years.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Seth Killian leaves Capcom as of Friday.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Who is going to demo the games for us now? :qq:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Well that pretty much guarantees that there won't be a single voice of reason in the room for Darkstalkers 4's design.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Brosnan posted:

Well that pretty much guarantees that there won't be a single voice of reason in the room for Darkstalkers 4's design.

What exactly did he do for SF4AE and SFxT? :confused:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah, I doubt it would have made any difference. Even Ono's made some small noises of regret re: designing games for the greatest mass appeal instead of hardcore fans; whoever's in charge, Capcom isn't going to prioritize making competetive games over popular ones.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
What 2v2 fighting games are out there? Off the top of my head I can only think of games that are loosely considered 'fighting' (Smash, Power Stone, Virtual On).

edit: simultaneous 2v2, not tag-team battles.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Want a chance at some free Goonbat Points to get ready for Season 2?

Good then! (They're still worth nothing.) With Evo coming up, there's going to be some hype matches. So we've made an easy way for you to log your guesses for a variety of matches and see if you were right. If you guess correctly, you get points. If you guess wrong, you get jack poo poo. It's a fun way to up your stream monster capabilities for little to no effort.

These points will carry over to GGPO Goonbats Season 2, which will start shortly after Evo.

Here's what you can guess for:

quote:

If there's anything I missed that you kids want to bet on, let me know.

Here's how scoring works:

quote:

• 1pt for each player in Top 8
  • 1pt for correct 3rd Place
  • 2pt for correct 2nd Place
  • 3pt for correct 1st Place
  • 1pt for winner of Afrolegends v Damdai
  • -1pt for 2 players not in Top 8
  • -1point for incorrect guess of Afrolegends v Damdai
The incentives are heavily skewed toward making guesses, so you might as well! (The negative points are to force people to think about their choices carefully, and to prevent goonbat point inflation - which will happen anyway.)

So, for example, if I were to guess -

quote:

AE Top 8
1. Abe
2. Ben
3. Chris
4. David
5. Eli
6. Frank
7. Gary
8. Helen
  • If Abe got 1st, I would get 4pt (correct top 8, correct 1st place)
  • If David got 2nd, I would get 1pt (correct top 8)
  • If Frank and Chris did not make Top 8, I would get -1pt (two incorrect top 8)
At the end, all that gets added up and you get your final score.

Also, you see that format that I used above? Use that loving format. Don't include sponsor names or any poo poo in front. And if you pick Clockw0rk, you better drat well spell that poo poo with a zero instead of the letter "o".

You can make your guesses here, and this will close Friday 11:59PM PST, 7/6/2012

You can track guesses here

Any questions?

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 19, 2012

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

kaujot posted:

Who is going to demo the games for us now? :qq:

Ahhhhhh no I don't think that was the entirety of his duties

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Cicero posted:

What 2v2 fighting games are out there? Off the top of my head I can only think of games that are loosely considered 'fighting' (Smash, Power Stone, Virtual On).

Are you looking for good ones, or just ones that have attempted it?

Off the top of my head there is...

Yu Yu Hakusho (On the Genesis)
Guardian Heroes (VS Mode anyway)
Guilty Gear Isuka

And Akatsuki Blitzkampf and Queen of Hearts 99 both attempted 2v2 as a bonus mode.

I think Yu Yu Hakusho is the closest one to being "good" but it's still really busted, being full of stupid stall tactics and 100% combos.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

dane cook torrent posted:

Ahhhhhh no I don't think that was the entirety of his duties

I didn't mean that sarcastically. I know he did way more than that. I just always enjoyed his demos, and from where he approached the game as a former competitive player. I don't see Capcom as having another Seth Killian. Dawgtanian, sort of, I guess, but it's not the same.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

And Akatsuki Blitzkampf and Queen of Hearts 99 both attempted 2v2 as a bonus mode.

Was the PSX Alpha 3 just 2 players vs. 1 CPU? Could you do 2 on 2 or even 2 players v. 1 player? Only ever tried that once as a gimmick, it was sort of weird.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
If they replace Seth I bet it's with some clueless Hollywood rear end in a top hat like Gootecks or Maximilian and it will be awful.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Oh poo poo I bet you're right ohhh noooooooo I didn't even think about that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

If they replace Seth I bet it's with some clueless Hollywood rear end in a top hat like Gootecks or Maximilian and it will be awful.

Gootecks is not a clueless rear end in a top hat though? It would suck if they had Maximilian though.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Ya my bad he knows about 3rd Strike and year 1 SF4.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I figure it would be someone like Alex Valle. Does he work for Capcom or was that only for Cross Assault?

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Cicero posted:

From what I can remember, Melty Blood Act Cadenda has a simaltaneous 2v2 mode. Act Cadenza is MB Actress Again's predecessor.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

I really don't get all the hate for Maximilian, he doesn't really look like an rear end in a top hat to me, I mean sure, he's not a top tournament player and he chokes a lot, his Dr. Doom cosplay tutorial thing is lame, he looks like the dude from Nickelback, "fingaaa lazaaas" is unfunny poo poo, he gave up his home to keep doing his show and he likes SFxTekk... oh.

But still, it could be worse. Imagine this headline: "DarkSydePhil returns to the fighting game community as Capcom's new special advisor" :suicide:

At least we'd get better netcode I guess?

PunkBoy posted:

I figure it would be someone like Alex Valle. Does he work for Capcom or was that only for Cross Assault?
He was just a team coach there, but he would be a good choice I suppose. Wasn't he already a community manager for some other game developer?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
It will be cool to see Seth Killian actually able to speak his mind about fighting games and competition again.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

So, this means that Level|Up or TeamSpooky can just hire S.Kill for commentary now...right? S.Kill commentary is my favorite :D

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Capcom should hire David Sirlin just so a thousand nerd skulls would detonate all at once.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Doesn't Gootecks work for MLG now?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Doesn't Gootecks work for MLG now?

He did that showmatch event in NY, but I don't think it's anything more than that (that we know of :tinfoil:).

Washin Tong posted:

He was just a team coach there, but he would be a good choice I suppose. Wasn't he already a community manager for some other game developer?

I think he worked for Nexon, along with Justin. I don't know if either of them still work there.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Justin left Nexon at the start of tourney season last year; I think he was under a 3-6 month contract. I don't believe Valle worked there in any capacity (aside from a cameo in one of their behind the scenes videos).

I'd like to think that now Seth will be able to speak his mind a bit more, because his tenure at Capcom (at least the latter half of it) didn't do his credibility any favors.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 20, 2012

l3v3l4outbr3ak
Apr 15, 2006

Are you ready to die?
Obviously, they need to hire Chris Hu as a replacement. I want to hear him explain more things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44depsi7b1E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Are you looking for good ones, or just ones that have attempted it?

Off the top of my head there is...

Yu Yu Hakusho (On the Genesis)
Guardian Heroes (VS Mode anyway)
Guilty Gear Isuka

There's also Scramble Mode in SFxT. I think something along those lines is also planned for Tekken Tag Tournament 2?

As for Seth, I wouldn't be surprised if in a few weeks or months we saw yet another boxed revision to MvC3, were't there rumors about some Capcom guy getting in touch with Marvel recently?
Or maybe some esports organization finally got a crack at Capcom games and want a star commentator?

As for Maximillian, I don't really follow his stuff, but what I did see from him didn't teach me anything I hadn't already learned elsewhere - his major quality, if any, is the frequency of his updates, which may be handy for people who don't actually go visit sites about fighting games to get their info and are just subscribed to his channel or something.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Sade posted:

It will be cool to see Seth Killian actually able to speak his mind about fighting games and competition again.

You will barely see a change here, it would be career suicide for him depending on what he wants to do.

Though his reasons for leaving are related to that very thing I think... and no one listening. Take this as pure speculation though!!!

Ghostpilot posted:

his tenure at Capcom (at least the latter half of it) didn't do his credibility any favors.

I think this too but people know you can't just straight up "real talk" about the place you work at, in public, right? I mean come on what did you expect? He tried as hard as he could behind the scenes I think.

The Balance Niggy fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 20, 2012

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

inthesto posted:

Capcom should hire David Sirlin just so a thousand nerd skulls would detonate all at once.

Haha yeah those nerds. loving nerds.

Are you serious?

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah I mean if your company is selling something lovely you have like two choices, try to sell it anyway without lying through your teeth, or quit.

blumpkinbliss
Nov 19, 2007

Jaguar Post

dane cook torrent posted:

Haha yeah those nerds. loving nerds.

Are you serious?

I don't really think he was...

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

blumpkinbliss posted:

I don't really think he was...
I'm aware, I'm talking about the way it was presented. I can't read a single thread almost anywhere on these forums without some guy in a video game thread referring to "nerds"... as if they aren't one to some degree

We all are

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

Any questions?
Yeah. Is the penalty for "two players did not make top eight" cumulative? Let's say I only guessed on AE, and I was wrong on all eight players, would I be at -4 points for the next Goonbats season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
Guess what lazy sad sack finally decided to stop laying in bed and post GBO Round 3 results?

Vsav had less entrants than the other tournaments so far, but still a fair amount. Next time lets try to be more clear about communicating to team members about not being able to make it in on time so I don't feel bad and gently caress the brackets up at the last minute.

Since VSav had low entrants, I expect no one to register for next week...

MAKE THE FIGHT. Jojos is a favorite game of mine, and is also one of the obscure games that goons praise endlessly but never play, like Breakers and Vsav. Its an oddity in Capcom games in that its a four button game, has KOF-like short hops and rolls, Marvel-like Advancing Guard and other things, and STANDS. If you've never played before, or are looking for information Stand Crash Wiki has plenty of information on the system and some characters.
Standard GBO Rules
http://goonsgarden.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/goon-battle-opera-gbo-rules-and-outline/
Special Rules for JoJos
  • Don't pick Petshop. He's not banned, just don't pick him.
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/42k6a284p5

:siren:ATTENTION PEOPLE WHO WANT TO PLAY IN GBO FIVE, KOF 98:siren:
For the following week's GBO, we'll be running our first King of Fighters. Some one asked how character teams would be handled, and since SBO has no official ruling on this because they run KoF in singles, there's no precedent. Since GBO is for the people and I am not a very decisive person, lets have a vote on it. MAKE THE CHOICE.

• Locked thread