Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

At first I thought you were joking.

My god, he was just toying with that Kanji. "You thought you were gonna win? Yeah gently caress YOU I can beat you with less than a fingernail's worth of health."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
New English tutorial video featuring Mitsuru!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDGSksZdTw0

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

There is currently Persona 4 Arena on this stream, right here. Come on down!

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)
it's the first time I've seen P4A in HD running at 60 fps in an actual tournament. it looks real nice, so if you're interested in that kinda thing you may want to check it out~

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Yeah you don't realise how good it looks from all the blurry as hell stream videos out there. The guy/guys who did the sprites for Thanatos must be happy it doesn't have that many animations (just look at the level of detail on it's clothes and coffins).

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
So in this video they have Mitsuru as the commentary person instead of Rise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugklJ50eq9g is this actually an option? I hope it means that there might be default options for Rise, Mitsuru, Teddie and maybe Fuuka in console?

edit: The next match has both Mitsuru AND Rise commentary :psyduck:

dj_de fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 18, 2012

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope there's Koromaru commentary.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
And now that I actually look at the character select screen there's a new option to select your commentator for your character. There's Rise, Mitsuru, Teddie and a fuzzy screen 4th option :allears:

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

dj_de posted:

And now that I actually look at the character select screen there's a new option to select your commentator for your character. There's Rise, Mitsuru, Teddie and a fuzzy screen 4th option :allears:

4th option says "NONE" :(

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The other voices are paid DLC :(

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh cool they added that to the arcade version too, I figured that was going to be for the home version only.

There's gonna be some prime online trolling possible by picking English voice acting and Teddie as your Navigator. Might be able to double up even depending on if they let you pick the same Navigator as the character you are playing (kind of unlikely though).

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
That all hinges on whether your options effect the people you play with online. In a real life/tournament setting though? :getin:

I can't even imagine how the Japanese play the game now considering I haven't seen a single video with the navigator off.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh cool they added that to the arcade version too, I figured that was going to be for the home version only.

There's gonna be some prime online trolling possible by picking English voice acting and Teddie as your Navigator. Might be able to double up even depending on if they let you pick the same Navigator as the character you are playing (kind of unlikely though).

The beginning of the stream I posted had both players using Teddie, with Teddie as their navigator. I can only imagine how people would feel about that in the US, it'd be too much Riegal for their own good.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

That all hinges on whether your options effect the people you play with online. In a real life/tournament setting though? :getin:

Yeah, in BlazBlue they did though so I'm willing to bet they will do the same here.

LightningKimba posted:

The beginning of the stream I posted had both players using Teddie, with Teddie as their navigator. I can only imagine how people would feel about that in the US, it'd be too much Riegal for their own good.

I'm really mad I missed that now.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm really mad I missed that now.

One day, I need to prod you on some instant messenger, since you also missed out on Spinking winning by not playing at all (His team was with this one dude who had a really awesome Aigis, and then behind her is a good Mitsuru player.), and also some neat Elizabeth tech. Sadly, I thought the Shadow Labbies there weren't too up to snuff, there was one 600+ player who used her decently, but the team in general was eliminated early on.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The stream was fun to watch and the chat was surprisingly civilized from what I saw.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I can't even imagine how the Japanese play the game now considering I haven't seen a single video with the navigator off.

Dude you can't hear poo poo in a game center. I never go play without my headphones anyway and lots of guys are the same.

Also I decided to learn Mitsuru. I'll give a trip report if I get some free time to play some sets.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah in Blazblue you pay like, $6 per announcer and they have something like 10 options? I don't get it personally

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah in Blazblue you pay like, $6 per announcer and they have something like 10 options? I don't get it personally

You don't buy Blazblue's announcer packs because you like whatever character, you buy them so you don't have to hear the main announcer say Counter in the worst possible voice for the millionth time.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Veev posted:

You don't buy Blazblue's announcer packs because you like whatever character, you buy them so you don't have to hear the main announcer say Counter in the worst possible voice for the millionth time.

No kidding, it's insane how they managed to make the announcer dramatically worse with each revision. CT was pretty decent... then I thought it couldn't get much than CS but they sure proved me wrong with CS:EX.

I think the guy who does in in-fight announcing in P4U is the same one who did Battle Fantasia? Who I think is Gregory Payne, the same guy who did classic GGX2? The announcer was uncredited in Battle Fantasia and the credits are in Japanese in P4U so I'm not sure.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

No kidding, it's insane how they managed to make the announcer dramatically worse with each revision. CT was pretty decent... then I thought it couldn't get much than CS but they sure proved me wrong with CS:EX.

I think the guy who does in in-fight announcing in P4U is the same one who did Battle Fantasia? Who I think is Gregory Payne, the same guy who did classic GGX2? The announcer was uncredited in Battle Fantasia and the credits are in Japanese in P4U so I'm not sure.

In Japanese? It was listed as Fumihiko Tachiki from the sources I've checked.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

LightningKimba posted:

That's the guy doing the between-match announcing I believe. There's a different guy doing in the in-match. I can't get any decent enough audio quality to actually tell who it is though.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The HnK announcer was the best anyway. Why can't we get that guy back?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LightningKimba posted:

Thats the narrator for Kaiji they should let him do every single narration/commentary :allears:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Let's go full hog. Fukumoto fighting game developed by Arcsys. There won't even be a stage select because the background goes fuzzy and wavy from the intense mind games.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

LightningKimba posted:

There is currently Persona 4 Arena on this stream, right here. Come on down!

Was this saved anywhere? Failing that anyone have some gameplay you seriously recommend? I haven't been keeping up with this game at all, and aside from an elizabeth video where she did a fullscreen combo into a reset into death from about 80% everything I've seen has been pretty mediocre.

Thought up the best possible idea for a new character that will never happen, both protagonists from persona 3, ice climbers style.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

darealkooky posted:

Thought up the best possible idea for a new character that will never happen, both protagonists from persona 3, ice climbers style.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

darealkooky posted:

Was this saved anywhere? Failing that anyone have some gameplay you seriously recommend? I haven't been keeping up with this game at all, and aside from an elizabeth video where she did a fullscreen combo into a reset into death from about 80% everything I've seen has been pretty mediocre.

Sadly no, the tourney wasn't archived at all, which is a major pain. HOWEVER, there's a lot of good stuff from Mayonaka Midnight and from Jourdal's channel, they're both hosts to a lot of Niconico vids of Persona 4 Arena.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

redmercer posted:

not a nice man
Honestly that part was pretty disappointing after like five years of HOLY poo poo HITLER IS IN THIS GAME SO DEEP :supaburn:

LightningKimba posted:

Sadly no, the tourney wasn't archived at all, which is a major pain. HOWEVER, there's a lot of good stuff from Mayonaka Midnight and from Jourdal's channel, they're both hosts to a lot of Niconico vids of Persona 4 Arena.
I'm not exactly sure I have the time or the motivation to dig through hundreds of videos and hope they're really good, but thanks anyway!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

darealkooky posted:

The whole thing wasn't saved, but there is Jiyuna, who always does livestreams of people playing the game, and doing match analysis. He did stuff of the matches surrounding that stream, found here and here.

He's a bit crazy, but he has good insight into the game. He's planning on doing some big character analysis stuff this Friday on his Twitch, but keep in mind he's based out of Japan, so it'll probably start at a weird time.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

darealkooky posted:

I'm not exactly sure I have the time or the motivation to dig through hundreds of videos and hope they're really good, but thanks anyway!

I'll start reposting good stuff I see here more often. It's a real crapshoot because there are sooooo many mediocre players in videos. Are there any characters you are particularly interested in?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

The whole thing wasn't saved, but there is Jiyuna,

Wow, thanks.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'll start reposting good stuff I see here more often. It's a real crapshoot because there are sooooo many mediocre players in videos. Are there any characters you are particularly interested in?

WOW thanks!!! I'm thinking of playing Narukami or Elizabeth, but I don't have any specific preference because I know basically nothing about this game.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 21, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Updated list of SBO Qualifiers up on Dustloop. So our current running totals are:

Chie - 8
Mitsuru - 8
Aegis - 8
Yu - 5
Akihiko - 4
Kuma - 3
Yukiko - 2
Naoto - 1
Labrys - 1
Yosuke - 1
S.Labrys - 1
Elizabeth - 1

Kanji - 0

Poor Kanji. :/

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
That's interesting, the few times I've played I get destroyed by Kanjis, or baaaarely eked out a win. That's just off of a few plays at a game center, however. I am also really bad at everything though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Elec posted:

That's interesting, the few times I've played I get destroyed by Kanjis, or baaaarely eked out a win. That's just off of a few plays at a game center, however. I am also really bad at everything though.

That's the magic of Early Game Grappler Syndrome, especially in airdash fighters. By the time players get acquainted with all of the associated tools, there's this sudden dropoff of victories, and a bunch of people move on to other characters. This leaves only the diehards sticking with them, and leading to some retardedly bad matchups. (Hello CT Tager.)

Won't stop me from riding that train all the way down, though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah Tager was poo poo tier but people who weren't too good yet would call him overpowered, seems a bit hard to balance characters like that for low and high level play.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm actually kind of surprised an Elizabeth finally qualified. The Japanese tournament setting is just not favorable to such an all or nothing kind of character.

I think Mitsuru is a really bad matchup for Kanji too isn't she? That would make him sort of hosed by default.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think Mitsuru is a really bad matchup for Kanji too isn't she? That would make him sort of hosed by default.
I bet Kanji's real worst matchup is Yukiko :allears:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Who'd have thought an Arcsys grappler does terrible in tournaments? Inconceivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

There are actually still a bunch of qualifiers left, since apparently they are going to run it as a 64 man tournament instead of 32. So that leaves us with 21 slots left. So maybe we'll get a Kanji by the end of it!

(Fully expecting 21 more Aegis's to qualify)

• Locked thread