Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

mistermojo posted:

Is there a way to sync progress with Kindle and the iPhone app?

I can send a PDF to both the Kindle and iPhone from my computer using the "Send to Kindle" app and it downloads it on both, but it doesn't seem to save the progress.

edit: I tried it with a .mobi and the sync option is greyed out in the iPhone app and the Kindle says it's unable to sync to furthest read page, does it only work with ebooks bought in the Amazon store?

It works for me. Sometimes it takes a minute or two to update on the server. I've never tried it with a PDF though, just mobi files. When you manage your kindle on the amazon website does the file in question appear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

It works for me. Sometimes it takes a minute or two to update on the server. I've never tried it with a PDF though, just mobi files. When you manage your kindle on the amazon website does the file in question appear?

Oh that was the problem, I was just sending them to devices without archiving it, now it works perfectly

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sporadic posted:

You may want to wait, it's rumored that a lighted Kindle is coming out in July.
I know there's a Kobo Touch one on the way too, but I have no idea when it's supposed to arrive. Surprised it's been so long since they dumped last year's models at $100, and they've been out of stock on their website for close to a month now.

I want the light for the sake of often-enough terrible lighting on public transit.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

teethgrinder posted:

I want the light for the sake of often-enough terrible lighting on public transit.

All I can imagine here is "Hey look at me, bright shiny tech and I'm absorbed in the book so I don't notice you!" but I guess my only experience with public transit is DC, Philly, and Chicago. Maybe it's a friendly experience out there somewhere?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't really understand? Do you normally try to converse with strangers on subways?

I'd also consider any e-reader as the anti-bright-shiny-tech, when compared to a tablet or laptop.

I just like to get my reading done on the few days I don't bike, and I want to be able to see that book when the lights are busted. As well it'd presumably be useful in bed.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

He's saying you become a target for muggers.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Splizwarf posted:

All I can imagine here is "Hey look at me, bright shiny tech and I'm absorbed in the book so I don't notice you!" but I guess my only experience with public transit is DC, Philly, and Chicago. Maybe it's a friendly experience out there somewhere?

I'm still trying to decipher what you're saying here. Are you insinuating a side-lit ereader is a target to get you robbed or are you making commentary about the insular nature of people on public transit?

EDIT: If it's the former, thieves don't steal Android/Kindle/iPad, they steal iPhones/iPads, which is why I use my kindle on the subway because then I'm only out 99$ instead of 500.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 27, 2012

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
He's saying the light is more likely to attract the attention of a potential mugger.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

chippy posted:

He's saying the light is more likely to attract the attention of a potential mugger.

poo poo, I had better stuff my pockets full of mothballs.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I would laugh so hard if someone got mugged for an ereader. I think you'd have a higher chance of getting your ereader stolen/broken by a Kaczynski sympathizer than random street theft.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I think you guys are safe, presumably this would apply to e-readers as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWwGilxhhcg

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Sperg Victorious posted:

I would laugh so hard if someone got mugged for an ereader. I think you'd have a higher chance of getting your ereader stolen/broken by a Kaczynski sympathizer than random street theft.

Yeah I reckon so. Although I guess someone might mistake it for some sort of new tablet if the screen was glowing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ah yeah. I generally wouldn't even worry about using an iPad on transit in Toronto.

Maybe not at 1:30 AM with only a single other guy on the car sizing me up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I kind of wish a thief would steal my Kindle 2 so I had an excuse to buy a newer model.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

chippy posted:

This. The DC metro is covered in signs like "Don't listen to music. Watch everyone. Don't let anyone know you have nice things." and it's in response to shitloads upon shitloads of snatch thefts, often things less-easily-resold than an almost-new ~$100 e-reader. The biggest danger as I understand it is right as the train's pulling into one of the above-ground stations, as someone can easily pull a snatch-and-sprint on the unwary (ie someone buried in a book).

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Sperg Victorious posted:

I doubt muggers tend to do a price check on things before they steal them. If it looks like an expensive electronic device, it's probably worth stealing to them. I also don't know what someone could pawn a kindle for but I wouldn't be surprised if it was worth it to some people.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Splizwarf posted:

When I was in NYC I was reading the whole way on my Kindle and never really thought twice about it. I saw people with bloody Macbook Pros open, so it is all what you are comfortable with. The only thing I would be a little worried about is being too engaged to notice pickpockets, but I have a system for that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

This. The DC metro is covered in signs like "Don't listen to music. Watch everyone. Don't let anyone know you have nice things." and it's in response to shitloads upon shitloads of snatch thefts, often things less-easily-resold than an almost-new ~$100 e-reader. The biggest danger as I understand it is right as the train's pulling into one of the above-ground stations, as someone can easily pull a snatch-and-sprint on the unwary (ie someone buried in a book).

They want iPads, not 100$ ereaders.

If they really do that in DC I'm laughing. They certainly don't do it here in NYC aside from "hey, just be aware when you're using your devices".

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Saw two snatch and run thefts on the Red line this year, both of them involved clueless people standing near the doors of the train. The thieves will wait for the doors to start to close so that by the time you realize whats happened, the train is already pulling out. Both instances were below ground. From what I've seen, they usually prey on clueless tourists as opposed to commuters, but then commuters usually don't put themselves in a position to have their poo poo grabbed.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 27, 2012

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

the littlest prince posted:

I doubt muggers tend to do a price check on things before they steal them. If it looks like an expensive electronic device, it's probably worth stealing to them. I also don't know what someone could pawn a kindle for but I wouldn't be surprised if it was worth it to some people.

They might snatch it just because its in your hand and didn't know it was an ereader. But it's not exactly a highly prized target. Kinda, like with those guys who would steal iphones but not the androids.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Sperg Victorious posted:

They might snatch it just because its in your hand and didn't know it was an ereader. But it's not exactly a highly prized target. Kinda, like with those guys who would steal iphones but not the androids.

Time to start rockin' that Sony Walkman circa 1990 :woop:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

rufius posted:

Time to start rockin' that Sony Walkman circa 1990 :woop:

What about hipster muggers? :eng99:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Splizwarf posted:

What about hipster muggers? :eng99:

Nah, they'd only go after you if you were carrying around an old school phonograph :rock:.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've never seen anything stolen on the DC Metro, but I've definitely seen plenty of "be aware!" advertisements. The Metro Police advise people to not have devices out.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

Saw two snatch and run thefts on the Red line this year, both of them involved clueless people standing near the doors of the train. The thieves will wait for the doors to start to close so that by the time you realize whats happened, the train is already pulling out. Both instances were below ground. From what I've seen, they usually prey on clueless tourists as opposed to commuters, but then commuters usually don't put themselves in a position to have their poo poo grabbed.

I've seen this happen twice on Chicago's Blue line too, same exact format. Purse and iphone, and they're out the door before you can do anything.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I live in Seattle and the worst thing I've seen on the bus was some stereotypical hippy getting kicked off for rolling a joint. I know we have one of the best public transit systems in the country but what the gently caress, I had no idea everywhere else was such a shithole. At least a few people will always be on their phone, be playing music on their phone, or using an ereader or tablet, too.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I'm about to go down the "root my Nook Simple Touch" road, but before I do I wanted to know if it's possible to add in Dropbox support while still using the regular NST UI. I bought my ereader to use as an ereader, so all I'm looking to do is add an easier way of getting books onto and off of my device. I'm not really interested in using it for internet, e-mail, or anything like that.

Also, how hard is it to restore the device back to its pre-rooting condition?

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 28, 2012

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Arcsech posted:

I live in Seattle and the worst thing I've seen on the bus was some stereotypical hippy getting kicked off for rolling a joint. I know we have one of the best public transit systems in the country but what the gently caress, I had no idea everywhere else was such a shithole. At least a few people will always be on their phone, be playing music on their phone, or using an ereader or tablet, too.

I lived in Chicago for years and never saw it happen, so lots of YMMV.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009

Karthe posted:

Also, how hard is it to restore the device back to its pre-rooting condition?

I rooted mine, but it was a new rom, and had phone functions and all sorts of stuff I didn't want, so I restored it back. I think it was just a matter of holding the power button for like 30 seconds. It definitely wasn't a big deal, I didn't have to hook it to anything, I was able to do it on the device itself.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What's the best way to convert a set of linked HTML documents into a single book to put on my Kindle?

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Install Gentoo posted:

What's the best way to convert a set of linked HTML documents into a single book to put on my Kindle?

I like saving each then putting them together with Sigil, might be hell, though

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LmaoTheKid posted:

They want iPads, not 100$ ereaders.

Most of the crime I've seen on NYC subways has just been from opportunity. Doors are closing, you're not paying attention, get your hat/bag/nintendo DS snatched while sitting at the end of the bench.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is dumb. If someone is going to snatch and grab your electronics, a light isn't going to make a difference.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm having a rather horrible problem with me kobo, it will not add any books to the system anymore (generally I use Calibre). So after doing that a few times and it not loading I did a full factory reset, it's now stuck in a loop where nothing at all will load to the system either from Calibre or the stupid store.

Everything however is showing as being loaded in Windows explorer. Has anyone come across this problem before? As it's kind of driving me nuts.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Regarding the Nook, my girlfriend picked one up for her dad while in New York. We live in Australia, so we aren't allowed to buy books from the US B&N website. There are apparently international or australian ebook websites that can be used for the nook, however she had a quick look and these appear crap, and the ones she tried didn't even work.

Since the content is all digital and she has the physical unit itself anyway, is there any reason she can't sign up to the Barnes & Noble website with a fake US address and just download from there? At most it might require log-in with a VPN (to get a US IP address) and maybe a temporary re-shipper address if they send out a welcome letter with personal details..

Or will it require a US credit card as well, in which case we'd have to go with something like what's described on this article: https://www.usunlocked.com/blog/?p=348

Has anybody done this, or can anybody who has bought a nook in-store tell me what the process is for signing up a B&N ebook account, so I know to what extent I need to figure out workarounds for my girlfriend's dad? (I.e. tell him just to put in a fake address, or does he need a US IP address as well, or does he need a real address, VPN, and a US credit card?)

edit: A few other forum posts suggest that it used to require a VPN but doesn't anymore, and it doesn't care about non-US credit cards. The major issue for people is that the address has to be US because they ship the unit to it, but since she picked it up in a store, we can get away with a fake one, right? At worst they'll send a welcome letter with some account details. And for that I have a couple mates in the US so I might see if I can put down their addresses. Can anybody confirm if you do need a VPN or a US-based credit card? Or if they send out a letter?

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 4, 2012

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Regarding the Nook, my girlfriend picked one up for her dad while in New York. We live in Australia, so we aren't allowed to buy books from the US B&N website. There are apparently international or australian ebook websites that can be used for the nook, however she had a quick look and these appear crap, and the ones she tried didn't even work.

Since the content is all digital and she has the physical unit itself anyway, is there any reason she can't sign up to the Barnes & Noble website with a fake US address and just download from there? At most it might require log-in with a VPN (to get a US IP address) and maybe a temporary re-shipper address if they send out a welcome letter with personal details..

Or will it require a US credit card as well, in which case we'd have to go with something like what's described on this article: https://www.usunlocked.com/blog/?p=348

Has anybody done this, or can anybody who has bought a nook in-store tell me what the process is for signing up a B&N ebook account, so I know to what extent I need to figure out workarounds for my girlfriend's dad? (I.e. tell him just to put in a fake address, or does he need a US IP address as well, or does he need a real address, VPN, and a US credit card?)

edit: A few other forum posts suggest that it used to require a VPN but doesn't anymore, and it doesn't care about non-US credit cards. The major issue for people is that the address has to be US because they ship the unit to it, but since she picked it up in a store, we can get away with a fake one, right? At worst they'll send a welcome letter with some account details. And for that I have a couple mates in the US so I might see if I can put down their addresses. Can anybody confirm if you do need a VPN or a US-based credit card? Or if they send out a letter?

The billing address on the credit card won't match to the "fake" US address that you give. A few US companies check the two.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Does Barnes & Noble? I've found a few forum posts by other Aussies regarding the nook and they say all you need is a US address (they won't send anything to it if you already have the device itself) and a VPN with a US IP address. They can apparently use an aussie credit card.

I guess we'll try that (I'm just waiting for a mate in america to get back with his postal address) with a VPN running and see how we go, if they reject the credit card there are a few pre-paid cards with american addresses we can use.

e: The posts are from 2010/2011 though, I'll see how I go.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 4, 2012

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I used the US address trick with Amazon (living in New Zealand), and after a few months, I got an automated email that basically said "You are in the wrong zone ... we will switch you over to the NZ store in a few days."

There's no harm in trying though. Post results!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Bugger. Were you using a VPN every time, or what? I mean if we have to use a pre-paid debit card, I'd rather use that up front to ensure he doesn't get the shaft a few months later and disallow him from ever buying from the US store again, especially once his account already has books on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Oi yeah you gotta be careful using the Nook outside the US. B&N is the only "major" ebook company that refuses to do business outside the States, they don't even do business in Canada.

Honestly you'd be better off if you can arrange a trade of their nook to someone in the US who could send back a Kindle, or Kobo or even a Sony Reader.