Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Fortunately it does seem like basically everyone is against these nerfs, so it won't stay like this. The test, as I said on the last page of the thread, is whether it'll end up in the realm of 'decent enough to pick' or 'good enough to buy'. Synapse seemed to want to sail it right into the former category next to Beam Rifle, but the problem is, Beam Rifle excepted since it was the first shiny buyable set, 'decent enough to pick' won't cut it if we're expected to specifically purchase the thing.

If we have to go through that extra effort, it needs to at least be in the 'above average' region of things, otherwise we'll just go with the free sets that do the same poo poo but better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Don't discount the sheer number of players who would use bioarmor in some sort of tentacle-mutant-rape-fantasy in Pocket D.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Dark Miasma and Kheldians, my friend. Like I said: We'll just use the free stuff that does the same stuff better.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Man, I still like Beam Rifle. :( The damage is respectable and benefits really well from incarnating, and the only frustration is the slightly-too-long activation times. I'd probably pay for it even now. Can't say the same for Staff. I was gonna strip my Staff tanker for Bio armor, now i'll probably hold out for Rad (assuming the cry brigade doesn't have its way with it as well).

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

considering it's pubbie designed, i'd loving hope not. but who knows once they actually play it. god forbid it actually be a contender for one of the top 3 "only good res sets" spots

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Speaking of Rad Armor, is there like, a Fallout convention right the gently caress next door to the player summit every year, or is there just one guy that's really loud who only plays this and the Fallouts? Because seriously, all three of the crowdsourced things so far have been straight-up Fallout rips. I've got no problem with it... well actually I do, 'cause the Retro Sci-Fi pack is poo poo and Rad Armor is the most ridiculously niche powerset concept.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Cleretic posted:

Speaking of Rad Armor, is there like, a Fallout convention right the gently caress next door to the player summit every year, or is there just one guy that's really loud who only plays this and the Fallouts? Because seriously, all three of the crowdsourced things so far have been straight-up Fallout rips. I've got no problem with it... well actually I do, 'cause the Retro Sci-Fi pack is poo poo and Rad Armor is the most ridiculously niche powerset concept.

Seriously. I mean, Rad Melee I could see, but Rad Armor? I can't... why was that even a thing? Who would think up something like that? More to the point, why did the devs go with that one in particular? I mean, we could've had Air Blast or Throwing Weapons. Those would've been awesome and fit with so many different characters. I know we may get those eventually anyway, but Rad Armor? Maybe it's just, graphically speaking, low-hanging fruit, I dunno.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cleretic posted:

You take that back, the retro scifi pack fuckin owns and I will allow zero dissent on this issue.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Actually Synapse is a Fallout fan and tends to like things that glow.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

You take that back, the retro scifi pack fuckin owns and I will allow zero dissent on this issue.

Backing up my boy here, anything that brings me bubble helmets and more glowy poo poo to stick everywhere has my vote.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The ray guns likewise own.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Well it only took getting to level 4 to gently caress up Nega Sagan. I thought Teleport would be an appropriately cosmic travel power, but now that I have it I don't quite like how it works. I suspect Super Speed or Flight would be more my kind of thing. How much do I have to gently caress myself to correct this oversight? It's too soon to retire my evil alter ego!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Respecs are easy to get, but if you're that worried about it, level 4 is literally nothing in terms of time invested. Talk to a trainer, alter your appearance, and save the costume.

Then delete him and remake it, saving the costume will save you the time it took to design it in the first place.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Evil Sagan posted:

Well it only took getting to level 4 to gently caress up Nega Sagan. I thought Teleport would be an appropriately cosmic travel power, but now that I have it I don't quite like how it works. I suspect Super Speed or Flight would be more my kind of thing. How much do I have to gently caress myself to correct this oversight? It's too soon to retire my evil alter ego!

Just go to a trainer and look for the option to 'change your active build' or something similar. You can have two different builds on your character, though I think for the most part people just use them for what you're doing here - a low-level respec. Any enhancements will stick with the old build, but that's the only downside.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Very awesome. Thank you, guys. I can't wait to get home and continue shooting Longbow and judging other villains.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
All things considered, with the way I'm sure goons run their Fire Farms, getting you to level 4 would actually take a negative amount of time.
Suck on that, Science!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

WeX Majors posted:

All things considered, with the way I'm sure goons run their Fire Farms, getting you to level 4 would actually take a negative amount of time.
Suck on that, Science!

I'm not familiar with Fire Farms, but getting to level 4 solo is already insanely easy. I honestly should have thought of just rerolling earlier. It'll take me 30 minutes at most to make up the time.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Death From Below is the lowbie trial, just join one as soon as you reroll and you'll be like level 6 in 10 minutes. Just join the first one you come across, it is the first (and probably last) content in the game that is 100% retarded pubbie-proof.

I think you need to be level 10 to access alternate builds so yeah, at this point rerolling is less hassle.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
they're a little harder to find villain-side, but look for pubbies running the Death from Below trial. A run or 3 of that and you'll be level 10, doesn't take but a few minutes each run with a non-retarded team.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Sounds good. I'll keep an eye out on the LFG channel.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Evil Sagan posted:

Use a keybind. Teleport is clunky without it, but with one it's fast and useful. You can flee a losing fight instantly, Unlike flight and SS.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gynovore posted:

Use a keybind. Teleport is clunky without it, but with one it's fast and useful. You can flee a losing fight instantly, Unlike flight and SS.

I advise binding it to your mouse back button, "button4" for bind syntax purposes, it makes using the power really easy.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Gynovore posted:

Teleport's still my second least favorite travel power (in front of SS), but the bind does help enormously to make it at least usable and quick. Just, you know, hope you never have to stop and reorient yourself mid-trip.

The Sorcery travel power that got previewed sounds like it might be for me, though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What the gently caress is this pay to win bullshit NCsoft?
http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/parag..._content=boosts

Some Marketing rear end in a top hat posted:

+15% Max HP, +40% Regeneration, +20% Recovery. The survival Amplifier boosts regeneration rate, recovery rate and maximum hit points. Duration persists through defeat. Activates upon claiming via in-game mail. Only affects the caster and does not affect any pets. cannot be used in PVP zones. While this power is active you cannot claim another Survival Amplifier.

+5% Defense (All), +7% Res (All). The Defense Amplifier increases defense and damage resistance against all attacks and grants protection against hold, disorient, sleep, immobilize, terrorize, confuse and knockback effects. Duration persists through defeat. Activates upon claiming via in-game mail. Only affects the caster and does not affect any pets. Cannot be used in PVP zones. While this power is active, you cannot claim another Defense Amplifier.

+15% Damage, +10% To Hit, +15% Recharge. The Offense Amplifier grants increased damage, chance to hit, and recharge. Duration persists through defeat. Activities upon claiming via in-game mail. Only affects the caster and does not affect any pets. Cannot be used in PVP zones. While this power is active, you cannot claim another Offensive Amplifier.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Talk me out of editing the Paragon Wiki so the incarnate poo poo is up to date. Please. I don't want to be that guy but no one's put half the Hybrid information yet.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Talk me out of editing the Paragon Wiki so the incarnate poo poo is up to date. Please. I don't want to be that guy but no one's put half the Hybrid information yet.

I wouldn't bother. Half of that poo poo is still buggy as gently caress and probably liable to change anyway.

On the other hand, DO IT, BE THE SPERG YOU WERE BORN TO BE.

On the other other hand, take another percocet or tylenol 3 or hyper aspirin or whatever you're taking for your back and stop caring so much for a couple hours :smith:

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Slung Blade posted:

I wouldn't bother. Half of that poo poo is still buggy as gently caress and probably liable to change anyway.

On the other hand, DO IT, BE THE SPERG YOU WERE BORN TO BE.

On the other other hand, take another percocet or tylenol 3 or hyper aspirin or whatever you're taking for your back and stop caring so much for a couple hours :smith:
Thanks for talking me off the ledge, man, I needed that.

Also, for a Grav/Ice dom, is the Control Core the better Hybrid?

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

quote:

Only affects the caster and does not affect any pets.

Devs: 'Yeah, we hate masterminds too.'

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Slung Blade posted:

are they just selling stuff to farmers outright now? the def one sounds great for getting a future fire farmer to 47 so you can add IOs

also laughing at the :fuckoff: to pets

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Kinda sucks that masterminds don't get any love. They have the coolest concept out of any MMO, but no love from the developers at all.

(Well, not a whole lot anyways. Beast affinity is furry love, not MM).

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Slung Blade posted:

It's the reason Bio got nerfed.

Because everybody immediately tests all of the new shinies at once.

I made a new bio armor character and he has 7% resistance 5% defense and 15% max HP!? whoa that is crazy!!

I can't believe how cheap they are. :(

There's also a new 2x XP booster coming soon.

And also, I can't believe you get perma status protection with the pay-to-win buff, something they've been trying to keep out of the game for ages, one of the primary reasons Hybrid isn't a perma toggle.

Up until this point, I've been OK with the market - some gimmicky things, like the Team Insipirations which you can't get elsewhere, but nothing you really *need* or radically alters your build. I do not like the boosts one bit.

Edit: Synapse is talking about how he expects people to make up for the penalties in Bio Armor with IO Set bonuses. Everyone seems to be getting mad about it not being good without IOs.

The original big argument was that DNA Siphon was overpowered - I said it couldn't even be perma without IOs but no, the set is too powerful on SOs! That's stepping on my Widow's AV killing toes! .. with my two spammable stacking -25% regen attacks and overflowing toxic damage. Nerf bio please!

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 26, 2012

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Tom Powers posted:

It's the reason Bio got nerfed.

Because everybody immediately tests all of the new shinies at once.

I made a new bio armor character and he has 7% resistance 5% defense and 15% max HP!? whoa that is crazy!!

I can't believe how cheap they are. :(

There's also a new 2x XP booster coming soon.

And also, I can't believe you get perma status protection with the pay-to-win buff, something they've been trying to keep out of the game for ages, one of the primary reasons Hybrid isn't a perma toggle.

Up until this point, I've been OK with the market - some gimmicky things, like the Team Insipirations which you can't get elsewhere, but nothing you really *need* or radically alters your build. I do not like the boosts one bit.

Edit: Synapse is talking about how he expects people to make up for the penalties in Bio Armor with IO Set bonuses. Everyone seems to be getting mad about it not being good without IOs.

The original big argument was that DNA Siphon was overpowered - I said it couldn't even be perma without IOs but no, the set is too powerful on SOs! That's stepping on my Widow's AV killing toes! .. with my two spammable stacking -25% regen attacks and overflowing toxic damage. Nerf bio please!

I think I am done after Synapse straight up said "be in offensive mode and take a 5.6% def hit to all. And his stance isn't changing. Even if I made up for that loving HUGE defense hit in S/L thats a huge hit to all others. That basically negates both of your +3 DEF IOs. It is a completely backwater idea to introduce a new set and have stone armor like penalties.

Hi, do we still have any Stone Armor players out there anyways?

I thought so.

edit: offensive also takes a resistance hit, I don't remember how much. It does gives 15% recharge and some tohit also, which is nice....but jesus it does NOT make up for that.

FFS man I loving leveled a beta character to god drat 50 just to try this thing out and I swear my input is being drowned out by hosed up support nerf herders.

If it had went live as it was before it would have been fine, underperforming the top dogs in survivability, being outclassed (like everything else is outclassed by it) fire armor with AOE damage, but being king of the hill when it came to AVs and higher. I say that is pretty nice spot in terms of fariness with all the other sets.

Whatever. I'm not bothering with Beta any more to give feedback if the drat morons who have never used more than a LOTG recharge and KB protection IO are going to say a set is to powerful on SOs when they were running around with super inspirations.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 27, 2012

Evil Z
Jun 14, 2012

Bird Law posted:

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?p=4285809#post4285809

I think Tommy's posts about the nerfs are on page 30 or 31.

And I really don't get this:

They were all downward adjustments, how can he say "before anyone has any kneejerk reaction" and ask us to test it before we judge? Had ANY of the adjustments been a buff then we would need to test to see how it balanced out, but nerfing EVERYTHING then asking us to be subjective and test is useless; the set is wholesale worse than it was before, testing done.

At least it sounds like he's open to more adjustments but I doubt he'll roll back everything or even most of the nerfs.

If you doubt that Phil (Synapse) is open to changing things multiple times, you must not have participated in many betas during his tenure. If there's one thing that he, and the rest of the systems designers, are open to, it's well thought out, rational suggestions with math to back them up.

Also, I hear he likes Cuban food.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tom Powers posted:

It only reduces the duration of status effects by 7%, which is useless. The Defense Amplifier is poo poo, but yeah, the other two are edging dangerously close to pay-to-win land. More money for our Korean overlords.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Evil Z posted:

Quick, someone whip up a cigar salad or a Fidelburger or whatever they eat in Cuba

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Evil Z posted:

If you doubt that Phil (Synapse) is open to changing things multiple times, you must not have participated in many betas during his tenure. If there's one thing that he, and the rest of the systems designers, are open to, it's well thought out, rational suggestions with math to back them up.

See that is the thing that is really driving me up the wall on this Z, the devs for this game are loving amazing. They REALLY are. Honest to god more successful MMOs wouldn't be where they are today if it wasn't from them cribbing massively from this game. I know Synapse is open to math and valid input but ask Oni, he knows from experience I can't argue a logical argument that well at times no matter how right it is. Especially when I am somewhat fervent about the thing. Not to mention I personally don't have the time to do more than compare sets side-by-side at 50. Even that was a chore. Believe it or not I do have a job and a family, and *gasp* I go to the gym. My anecdotal opinion on the set is based completely off what I am observing from gameplay. Actual. Gameplay. I'm not JUST killing pylons over and over, that test is done and the set will NOT be beat except on AV targets. Considering the state of the set before the nerfs I thought this was an acceptable trade.

edit: holy poo poo I am getting way to mad over this. The hell is wrong with me.

Quick, someone tell a dick joke.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 27, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A man lives in a town with two hospitals; Willow Glen Hospital, and the Peter Bent Hospital. He's getting a blowjob from a lass in his car when they stop at red light. He gets rear-ended and feels a sharp pain in his crotch. Jumping into the nearest cab, he tells the driver "To the hospital NOW"

Driver says, "Peter Bent?"

"Bent? She bit it clean off!"

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Tommy 2.0

Dohohohohoho

:wal::stat:

I really don't have strong feelings about the new power amplifiers. Sure, it's 'pay-to-win', but it only lasts for an hour; and the money can be spent towards better, more permanent things.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

edit: offensive also takes a resistance hit, I don't remember how much. It does gives 15% recharge and some tohit also, which is nice....but jesus it does NOT make up for that.
Hmm, 2 LOTGs or having the unique ability of actually taking more damage per attack because you're at negative resistance levels.. ?

Talk about "using IOs / set bonuses" to make up for penalties. Just skip the stance toggles entirely.

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Everyone's fawning over Synapse in the thread because of how big he is?

Gynovore posted:

It only reduces the duration of status effects by 7%, which is useless. The Defense Amplifier is poo poo, but yeah, the other two are edging dangerously close to pay-to-win land. More money for our Korean overlords.
Ah, I missed that part. Go go listening to what pubbies say about stuff!

Though, the 7% resist/5% def is still pretty nice. It won't keep you alive, but it'll make many sets practically unkillable. Then the survival amplifier.. wow.

These are pretty much made for sets like WP. Fire gets good enough already that they won't make much of an impact after you've IO'd out. But jeez, still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

This just in:

Launch of summer event and availability of kb->kd IO combined with the reveal of a cyberpirate costume set on a stream all while Valve unveils Meet the Pyro at the same time is likely to cause hat based heat death of the universe.

If I can't get a robot shoulder parrot I'll be pissed.

• Locked thread