Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A nice thing about dubstep that you don't get with other genres is a heavy emphasis on very very low frequency bass. Most electronic and even rap don't have sub 20hz bass tones featured in a track, and the bass cd's are pure cheese.

With dubstep in your car or at home with a good theatre system, you can actually put it to use instead of having to rewind that scene from War of the Worlds all the time

After I built up my parents home theatre I played some dubstep. The 2 12" corner loaded subs pressurized the room and Mom said she felt like she was drowning.

Here is some Dubstep and Electro (the genres cross a bit) that I find inventive and creative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwxPwecLesQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6jY-gbb9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbyrJGYkOCE

Problem is after listening for a bit I feel a fair bit of shame. Like I blew a bunch of dudes in a back alley or something, so I have to counter with a bunch of heavy crushing music like Meshuggah or Rollins Band or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It ain't pretty, but maybe you'll find it useful. I whipped this up in 20 minutes tonight.

http://rainwave.cc/~rmcauley/forza_random.html

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Dub Step makes me sad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYeE8BbcZs

Why can't they leave well enough alone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb-JZPmiEOI

Anyways, I've done a little work on our friend, the wizard. Now, to preface, I'm not really what you would call good at making people. Also, this is still a work in progress. And it's on my prior "The Wizard" van.

fake edit: currently blasting The Stone's live album "No Security"...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

I would buy the poo poo out of this vinyl once you're done with it. Please put that van in the club garage once you've wrapped it in wizarding goodness.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

LiquidRain posted:

It ain't pretty, but maybe you'll find it useful. I whipped this up in 20 minutes tonight.

Bookmarked!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Forza 5 Needs:
  • F1 cars
  • Dirt Tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tEHQJn_hxo&hd=1

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 30, 2012

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man

LiquidRain posted:

Nice job!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

edit: approved you.
As of today, You're the Boss, whatcubed3.

How the hell did you drop to level 8?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Jabs posted:

As of today, You're the Boss, whatcubed3.

How the hell did you drop to level 8?
There's some sort of bug since they raised the max player level to 999. Once you hit 253 or 256 or something, it displays your level as starting back at 1. However, when I look at my own level in the game, it displays correctly (I'm at 260-something.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

There's some sort of bug since they raised the max player level to 999. Once you hit 253 or 256 or something, it displays your level as starting back at 1. However, when I look at my own level in the game, it displays correctly (I'm at 260-something.)

Almost certainly 256, because somewhere the player level is being stored as a byte (maximum value 256, 2^8) instead of a type capable of handling a number up to 999.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

Almost certainly 256, because somewhere the player level is being stored as a byte (maximum value 256, 2^8) instead of a type capable of handling a number up to 999.

I'm really glad those Turn 10 programmers are such hardcore optimizers they didn't budget two bytes of storage for the player level. Truly that was the difference between 8 cars on track and 16 cars on track. :v:

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

burtonos posted:

Uh, no, the electric guitar is exactly the same as a guitar but with "microphones" in it.

Using a laptop to alter sounds is not the same as being able to play a guitar.

That's not how pickups work.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

xzzy posted:

I'm really glad those Turn 10 programmers are such hardcore optimizers they didn't budget two bytes of storage for the player level. Truly that was the difference between 8 cars on track and 16 cars on track. :v:

Hey, the community wanted Fujimi Kaido. Sacrafices were made.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

YF19pilot posted:

Hey, the community wanted Fujimi Kaido. Sacrafices were made.

Fujimi Kaido is awesome, you best not be hatin' :colbert:

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
If the music/guitar/whateverthefuck derail continues, I'm going to be irritated.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PT6A posted:

Eh, it's trivial, but when the design parameters of the game were originally for 150 levels - a point they thought very few people would've reached, even by now - would you bother allocating two bytes to a number that will absolutely be an integer greater than 0 and less than 151?

I'm slowly working my way through the event list since lately I haven't been able to get on at the same time as any significant number of goons. Amazing how little of that is actually completed, depending on what events you choose in career.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Ya'll better not be messing around with the Wizard is in town!

Also, i hate flames...

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

I'm gonna add to this list.

• F1 Cars
  • Dirt Tracks
  • Weather
  • Actual day/night cycle not just times of day
  • More race tracks (both real world and fantasy)
  • A mini

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Even after watching other people's replays of it, the Top Gear track just makes no sense to me. The best driving lines seem to involve driving through totally unmarked fields of pavement. If it's like that in real life the "celebrity in a cheap car" people must have been confused as hell.

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Even after watching other people's replays of it, the Top Gear track just makes no sense to me. The best driving lines seem to involve driving through totally unmarked fields of pavement. If it's like that in real life the "celebrity in a cheap car" people must have been confused as hell.

I felt this way for a long long time. Really the best way is to just run it over and over and over until you learn it

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I wish it had more brake markers or trees or patches of weeds or something off the side of the track since that's unfortunately how I learned most of the other tracks. My only braking/turning reference coming up before the back straight is watching a turn barrier parallax with a distant shed.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

If you're talking about the rivals events, try watching the replays of people well ahead of you or at the top of the times list. Check their lines and see where you can pick up some time.
e: jesus, I can not read.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 1, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The end of the track coming up on the last two turns just makes no sense to me. It has brake markers at 150, 100 then 50 meters and a turn sign and this appears to still be 100 meters from the actual turn. So I usually just slow down a bit here meander to the left and then try to find where the turn is. There needs to be some actual markings besides "Yeah, just head over there, the turns over there, honest."

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Bit of a shot in the dark, but has anyone seen this vinyl floating around?

I found it on a drift car as a design group, but couldn't find it as a separate vinyl :(

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

Cojawfee posted:

The end of the track coming up on the last two turns just makes no sense to me. It has brake markers at 150, 100 then 50 meters and a turn sign and this appears to still be 100 meters from the actual turn. So I usually just slow down a bit here meander to the left and then try to find where the turn is. There needs to be some actual markings besides "Yeah, just head over there, the turns over there, honest."

By that time I usually find the turn by just following the ghost car in front of me :(

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Cojawfee posted:

In life you'd actually be able to turn your eyes, so it's probably not as hard to work out in person. For game purposes they could have done something.

Jarf posted:

I'm gonna add to this list.

• F1 Cars
  • Dirt Tracks
  • Weather
  • Actual day/night cycle not just times of day
  • More race tracks (both real world and fantasy)
  • A mini

*Stagger

You can't put in NASCAR and have a bunch of speedway events without stagger, and at least camber left/right. C'mon.

*More tires

Goodyear, and some (weather) compounds.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

YF19pilot posted:

Ya'll better not be messing around with the Wizard is in town!

Also, i hate flames...

This owns. I spent like ten minutes staring at the picture and then gave up on it, but you've done a wonderful thing here.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
If anyone is watching rallycross at the xgames on ESPN, that race started like a typical pubbie F4 race (ie- everyone going into the wall on the first turn).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pkells posted:

If anyone is watching rallycross at the xgames on ESPN, that race started like a typical pubbie F4 race (ie- everyone going into the wall on the first turn).

Yeah, I caught that. It took like 30 minutes to pull the car out of the wall? :iiam:

There was another hilarious wreck the other day.. car trying to make a jump, didn't have enough speed and plowed right into the far ramp, ended up on his roof. Sure it wasn't hilarious for the driver but I enjoyed it. :v:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TannhauserGate posted:

In life you'd actually be able to turn your eyes, so it's probably not as hard to work out in person. For game purposes they could have done something.

I think there's a 'tire wear' darkened path that is roughly the line you want to follow. It ends up keeping you way out, almost seems like you're gonna turn in late, and diving in. Trying to dive in any earlier will force you to slow way down or slide off into the grass.

quote:

*Stagger

You can't put in NASCAR and have a bunch of speedway events without stagger, and at least camber left/right. C'mon.

This. What's the point of a stocker if I can't tune it properly?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I managed to get the rest of the turns figured out well enough to beat the rivals time on the Viper challenge, but I still have no idea how those last two turns work and just sort of guessed every time I took them. Running with some ghosts a few tenths ahead of me it felt like I could take any number of lines and braking points without gaining or losing any time, so either it doesn't really matter or most of the players outside like the top 1% are as clueless as I am.

Part of the problem is probably also the resolution Forza runs at, internally I think it's only like 700 lines and you're sitting really low in most of the cars in the game so you end up trying to spot 5-10 lines of blurry pixels to find your turn.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I caught that. It took like 30 minutes to pull the car out of the wall? :iiam:

There was another hilarious wreck the other day.. car trying to make a jump, didn't have enough speed and plowed right into the far ramp, ended up on his roof. Sure it wasn't hilarious for the driver but I enjoyed it. :v:

Not to be a buzzkill but that was Toomas Heikkenen and he got fairly hosed up from that crash, so yeah not funny at all (and neither is any major crash for that matter). :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgBVLJsLThQ

http://espn.go.com/action/xgames/summer/2012/story/_/id/8113926/toomas-heikkinen-crashes-jump-ramp-breaks-ankle-rallycross-practice

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Luckily, all he has it seems is a broken ankle and some abdominal injuries. Without a HANS device he'd have died easily I think. Hell, he was able to extricate himself from the wreck.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
As always, it was a great night of goon racing. I decided that the Ferrari 312 needed a better livery... one that reflected what it truly appears to be...

Mission Accomplished.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

CaseFace McGee posted:

As always, it was a great night of goon racing. I decided that the Ferrari 312 needed a better livery... one that reflected what it truly appears to be...

Mission Accomplished.

That is gorgeous!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Great, but it also needs a Scalextric livery.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Falken posted:

Luckily, all he has it seems is a broken ankle and some abdominal injuries. Without a HANS device he'd have died easily I think. Hell, he was able to extricate himself from the wreck.

With how violent that crash was it was he was lucky that was the extent of his injuries, definitely thanks to the HANS device. I'd like to imagine I'd be able to pull myself out of the car after a hit like that but it was catching on fire so that's good motivation v:shobon:v

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

CaseFace McGee posted:

Mission Accomplished.

Until this moment I had no idea how badly I want to make this type of design on some of my cars. Hnnng.

xzzy posted:

I realize that the rhetorical answer involves Brawndo Energy Drink's Electrolyte content and falling education standards, but why can't they just keep the middle part filled and/or have a more sensible jump area so as not to murder drivers?

Then again I guess I should be happy that there weren't sparklers and confetti cannons going off as he crashed.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Despite not being a fan of Hans devices myself(They restrict movement too much laterally when you aren't crashing), I am sure that it definitely helped in that situation. I am glad he is okay. (and don't worry, I won't go into another tyrade about how Pastrana and the extreme sports crowd is killing rally.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CaseFace McGee posted:

Mission Accomplished.

I love the idea but for me it'd be far better slathered up in Team Associated livery and labeled as an RC12i:

• Locked thread