Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Man, the American edition has some ugly typography.

Hedrigall posted:

I've also heard that this is the longest Culture novel yet.

This.. does not bode well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Well that's much better. I've always preferred that UK style though.

Also, although artistically I know that it's being the longest Culture novel yet will mean it'll be a bit of a flabby mess (like the last two), I can't deny that I'm still kinda pleased about it. Iain M. Banks was my go-to 'reading for fun' author for quite awhile, so the more he crams in there (preferably about Minds and Drones), the longer it'll hold me out.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
9,000 years old? What's the name for that, Immortalists?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hedrigall posted:

I've also heard that this is the longest Culture novel yet.

Of course it is. His editor lapsed into a coma sometime around The Algebraist.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I really liked The Algebraist, is general opinion that it sucks? The Dwellers seemed fantastically weird and quite amusing to read about, even if the ending was telegraphed pretty obviously.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It was a really uneven book with frustrating pacing but a fair bit of cool stuff. I liked the pessimistic setting, which felt a lot bigger and more dangerous than the Culture.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The Algebraist was absolutely fantastic whenever it was dealing with the Dwellers. The scene where the main bad guy is trying to force them to co-operate by killing hostages is one of the best he's ever written. But overall there's just so much stuff that doesn't need to be in there. It also starts abominably slowly. It's the only one of Banks' books I've read so far that I nearly put down.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I quite liked The Algebraist, but that was where he seemed to start letting his SF novels sprawl a bit. Matter was the worst culprit.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Against A Dark Background is my least favourite Banks book. It's like someone's crappy sci-fi rpg campaign bought to life.

Dekko
May 23, 2007
Honestly, I like Surface Detail, and I really really like Matter, partially because they're overlong. Obviously, they're badly edited and full of redundant plot threads, but at this point im just in it for all the mad culture space adventures, and the more of that the better.

Certainly wouldn't recommend them to Banks beginners though, and I can see why people don't like them.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Matter is, by far, the worst of the proper Culture novels. It has all the drifting of Consider Phlebas, but unlike that story it just feels like hits the last page and goes "well, I guess I"m done now time to go ride bikes."

The general synopsis for Hydrogen Sonata sounds fantastic, though, but the trope of 'the immortal man' is one of those things that strikes a chord with me so I'm biased.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Matter's disparate plot threads at least intertwine. Surface Detail has an entire lengthy plot and character that could be removed from the book with no real loss.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Matter's disparate plot threads at least intertwine. Surface Detail has an entire lengthy plot and character that could be removed from the book with no real loss.

If you're talking about Chay I think that's interesting and illustrative of the stakes being played for.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!

Pope Guilty posted:

If you're talking about Chay I think that's interesting and illustrative of the stakes being played for.

I liked it for flavor, but I gotta agree that it could easily have been removed. It has no connection whatsoever to the rest of the plot.

A thing I'm finding amusing, by the way, is that as far as I recall, Banks has put in a first-person scene where people wake up from serious trauma/some kind of induced coma/etc in every Culture book. The slow regaining of consciousness, the opening of the eyes, trying to move limbs and failing, and so on. It's in every book.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

No, that storyline definitely needs to be there, it really drives how how abhorent the Pro-Hell position is. I was talking about Yime Nsokyi. I'd read an entire book centered on her, but she was a waste in Surface Detial.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Carthag posted:

It's in every book.
Escarpment.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

I think I'm missing some reference here...?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
It's a word that turns up all over Iain's writings.

Definition:

A long, steep slope, esp. one at the edge of a plateau or separating areas of land at different heights.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
He even named a class of ships Escarpment. Laughed out loud at that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Oh, right. I was thinking of the ship class, yeah.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

No, that storyline definitely needs to be there, it really drives how how abhorent the Pro-Hell position is. I was talking about Yime Nsokyi. I'd read an entire book centered on her, but she was a waste in Surface Detial.

Oh, yeah. It's like he wanted to bring the Bulbitians in somehow and Yime was how he decided to do it. Yime in Veppers' mansion could, of course, have been anybody.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Got tickets to see Iain Banks at the Edinburgh Book Festival this summer, should be great! Unfortunately he won't be bringing the M and is promoting a new fiction novel, but I still can't wait.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Another thing that appears in nearly every book is 'sweetmeats'. What the hell?

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Against A Dark Background is my least favourite Banks book. It's like someone's crappy sci-fi rpg campaign bought to life.

I love this book. I found the idea of a civilisation so far from the rest of the galaxy that its completely isolated and in a state of technologic decline really apealling.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I just started reading Excession, and the Affronter dinner was hilarious. I have a question about Dajeil Gelian. Has she literally kept herself pregnant for 40 years just because she likes being pregnant? Or has she been in suspended animation as a pregnant lady in that time? This is the first chapter, by the way, I haven't been sleeping well lately and it is hard to follow what's going on sometimes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Krinkle posted:

I just started reading Excession, and the Affronter dinner was hilarious. I have a question about Dajeil Gelian. Has she literally kept herself pregnant for 40 years just because she likes being pregnant? Or has she been in suspended animation as a pregnant lady in that time? This is the first chapter, by the way, I haven't been sleeping well lately and it is hard to follow what's going on sometimes.

Neither, but she's been awake and pregnant for 40 years. (Well, she sleeps daily, presumably. My point is that she hasn't been suspended)

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The Affront owns, everything about them is so weird and great.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Tace Vim posted:

Another thing that appears in nearly every book is 'sweetmeats'. What the hell?
I believe it's just an old-fashioned way of referring to candy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confectionery

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It was the tennis game with the living creature that had me laughing, cruel but drat. Banks can make a detestable race likeable.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

The Supreme Court posted:

I really liked The Algebraist, is general opinion that it sucks? The Dwellers seemed fantastically weird and quite amusing to read about, even if the ending was telegraphed pretty obviously.

I also really enjoyed it... the pacing isn't perfect, but as another poster said, the universe seems so much more dangerous and unforgiving in it, which gives the plot a sense of urgency and immediacy that I don't always get with Culture books. I liked the ending, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping he'd come back to that universe someday and explore the ramifications of the events of the first book.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

The central plot of Excession is pretty ho-hum, but it's wrapped in so many awesome things (the Affront, a detailed look at the inner workings of the Minds, etc) that I can't be be mad at it.

gently caress, I wish all my Banks books weren't boxed up at my parents' house on the other side of the planet. :smith:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Less Fat Luke posted:

I believe it's just an old-fashioned way of referring to candy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confectionery

I thought it was like offal? various unidentifyable bits of gore?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
While the Affront are pretty jovial and hilarious on-screen, I think it's worth remembering that they're a species of sadistic rapists with a penchant for the species-wide moral equivalent of genital mutilation (worse, I guess). I'm sure they have their own moral standards and all but much like the Culture I'm little inclined to respect them.

They're great characters, but part of that greatness is the seductive bonhomie of their jovially psychopathic screen presence counterposed against the fact that they're severely hosed up. I'm not totally sure what it says about that guy from Excession that he wanted to be one of them.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Pound_Coin posted:

I thought it was like offal? various unidentifyable bits of gore?

That'd be sweetbreads.

General Battuta posted:

They're great characters, but part of that greatness is the seductive bonhomie of their jovially psychopathic screen presence counterposed against the fact that they're severely hosed up. I'm not totally sure what it says about that guy from Excession that he wanted to be one of them.

Banks excels at making utterly reprehensible species/societies seem like they're just a bit of knock-about laddy fun. The same thing could be said of the Dwellers (and interestingly, they're both floating jellyfish things). And it says that he's also a pretty awful person - but much less entertaining.

Actually, thinking about it, most of Banks' main characters are pretty unpleasant and/or uncharismatic.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Barry Foster posted:

Actually, thinking about it, most of Banks' main characters are pretty unpleasant and/or uncharismatic.

You know, now that you mention it they are. It's weird how he creates this utopia where every person has the potential to become whatever they aspire and they uniformly turn out to be nasty and/or spoiled.
It's a weird contrast with Star Trek where everyone is all altruistic yet both societies seem to have the same aspirations as a whole. I guess its the minds that keep poo poo from just spiraling into overwhelming ennui.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Given everyone's love for Use of Weapons, I'm pretty happy that it's the one Culture novel I still have left to read. It did make the big reveal at the end of Surface Detail a bit of a "huh?" moment for me, though.

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, that seems to be true for pretty much all his books I've read, M or otherwise. Am I alone in also really liking his non-sci-fi books about an Edinburgh laddie gannin aboot getting into trouble? Stuff like Complicity, The Crow Road, Dead Air, even Whit to some extent.

I enjoyed The Business, too, although it left me with the weird feeling I'd been reading an alternative take on William Gibson's Blue Ant series.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
My favorite thing about the Affront is the implication their previous mentor civilization sublimed because they were so disgusted and frustrated by them.

As if the Affront ate one of their liaisons and they collectively said "gently caress this", and became multidimensional energy beings or whatever.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

Like I said before, this is one of the main reasons I like Look to Windward so much. Most of major characters in that are actually pretty likeable, which is kinda rare for a Culture book.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Like I said before, this is one of the main reasons I like Look to Windward so much. Most of major characters in that are actually pretty likeable, which is kinda rare for a Culture book.

Gurgeh from Player of Games is, too. He gets lulled by the Empire of Azad and only sees what amounts to the pleasant surface of the Empire, and when Flere-Imsaho shows him what really goes on, he's utterly disgusted, depressed, and enraged. He completely changes his game afterwards.
I just re-read the book and I had forgotten how vile the Empire turns out to be. It's like the entire ruling class is composed of Elethomels from UoW. The Chair was a singular act of absolute brutality (or so I remember; I need to re-read it), but in Azad, entire bands worth of instruments were made the same way. That act of brutality basically destroyed Elethomel, but the ruling class of Azad revel in it.

Banks does have a gift for crafting utterly reprehensible people and socities.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

MeLKoR posted:

It's weird how he creates this utopia where every person has the potential to become whatever they aspire and they uniformly turn out to be nasty and/or spoiled.

There are trillions of Culture citizens we never meet or only meet in passing who are perfectly fine and taking full advantage of their awesome society. They are boring and no one would want to read novels about them.

In fact I would say that anytime you come across a normal, well-adjusted citizen of the Culture in the novels, they are probably about to meet a gruesome, plot-advancing death.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pyroclastic posted:

Gurgeh from Player of Games is, too. He gets lulled by the Empire of Azad and only sees what amounts to the pleasant surface of the Empire, and when Flere-Imsaho shows him what really goes on, he's utterly disgusted, depressed, and enraged. He completely changes his game afterwards.

True, but moral strength isn't too rare in these books. He's not all that nice and likeable as a character early on. Moreso later, of course, as we get to know him and he gets some development. Kabe, Quilan, Masaq', even the somewhat crusty Ziller are all kinda people you wouldn't mind being friends with from the get-go.

I've been re-reading Matter, and one thing's bugging me. Why on earth didn't Anaplian boot Ferbin and Holse to the curb as soon as they started the chase after the Iln? She says herself the suits can function just as well without them - probably better, to be honest, without having to take care of the squishy things inside them - but she takes her brother along as basically a spectator on a suicide mission. I know she offers to let them go but given where they were at the time she should have just dumped them for their own safety.

• Locked thread