Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

How old are you, btw? If you're much past 20 you might just not have the recovery ability to sustain that volume for very long.

18 but also a ginger

KingColliwog posted:

If you're really both sleeping a lot and eating a lot, then you're probably over training. Cut back and slowly add more and more training to see if it works for you, but don't force it. You'll end up in a car crash and that's not awesome.

I think I'll try sleeping more and power through one more week. Fight's in two weeks and one of those is just jumproping and having recovery so it shouldn't be terrible.

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Last conference I was at there was a presenter talking about how elite athletes (or those who train like it) should be getting ten hours of sleep a night or with naps throughout the day. I started to push the idea with my guys and anecdotally saw an improvement in recovery. If you plan on continuing training like you have I would think about upping your sleep.

I can do that, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
This is not my area of expertise, but should you be training that hard if your fight's just two weeks away?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
I was wondering if any other BJJ guys can give me some advice on what to do. I dont want to be specific about locations and names because Im not trying to stir up drama, I just want some advice.

Im working for 7wks in a town about 2 hours away from where I live/train out of. At home I train out of an MMA school, that also does gi BJJ with a brown belt instructor, as well as no-gi and kickboxing. In Town B, where Im now working, the only place really is a Gracie Barra gym, with some reputable guys, and a cool schedule of training. I head over and talk to one of the black belts who run it. I explained my situation, and that I just am working here for a few weeks because I have a tasking in this town (Im in the canadian army). He says he would love to have me, but he says Gracie Barra policy doesn't let any non-GB member train, even if its for a short period of time. He says literally, if you're not wearing a GB Gi, you can't step on the mats (he doesnt even let his students buy patches). So, because Im not a GB member, I cant train there. There is a GB gym at Town A (my hometown), but its smaller, more expensive, and doesnt do no-gi or kickboxing, so thats the only reason I don't go there.

Im planning on speaking with the other blackbelt to see if an exception can be made but has anyone else ever run into this? He says that ANY GB place in north america is like this, whether its in LA, or Montreal or whatever, and that its not really up to him. I've heard he has had some beef with my instructor in my town. He says though if I join the GB place in my town, I could train there. But I dont really want to switch schools because I cant guarantee that I'll stick with the one in my original town. Would it be unethical for me to say I'll join, pay for 2 months, finish out the remainder of my 2 weeks when Im back home, and see from there? Or would that seem like I just lied to him about joining the club?

I understand why these rules exist but I mean, I just want to train for 6 weeks. Im only a white belt, why is this such big drama?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
It is my experience that GB clubs are very much like that, its a business model.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

swagger like us posted:

I understand why these rules exist but I mean, I just want to train for 6 weeks. Im only a white belt, why is this such big drama?

Because some organizations like to play political games, that's why. (And as you said this guy might have some beef with your current gym.) Personally, I've heard some GB gyms are more flexible on 'policies' than others.

The only reasonable 'excuse' I could think of (that their gym behaves like this), is if the gym is running off of contracts or something and they don't want to start making exceptions to their payment plan. (You make an exception for one guy and soon you get bombarded by others.)

To me, it sounds like the guy is acting like an rear end in a top hat. I would not bother wasting your time, reputation, or your gym's reputation training there.

I don't suppose the place you're going to be working at has anything else? (Judo, wrestling, or boxing...)

If there is literally nothing else to do, consider doing solo drills for a couple of months. It will help you out.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 8, 2012

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

This is not my area of expertise, but should you be training that hard if your fight's just two weeks away?

I think you're right. From my days as a competitive swimmer we would taper hard towards the meet, and the last two weeks would be about 50% sessions compared to peak. I'd imagine it would be the same before a fight, but IANATrainer

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swagger like us posted:

he says Gracie Barra policy doesn't let any non-GB member train, even if its for a short period of time. He says literally, if you're not wearing a GB Gi, you can't step on the mats

This was my experience. I had to wear a Gracie Barra gi when I was on the mats. I still drop in sometimes when I am in LA for work and they just lend me a spare gi, but they definitely don't let me wear my Judo gi to their workouts. You buying their Gi is part of their business model. I don't like it, but I understand it.

quote:

Would it be unethical for me to say I'll join, pay for 2 months, finish out the remainder of my 2 weeks when Im back home, and see from there? Or would that seem like I just lied to him about joining the club?

You'll have to sign a yearlong contract, so that plan probably will not work. Though I'm surprised they won't work with you at all. When I did BJJ at a Gracie Barra place it was only for a few months and I was upfront about it and they let me just do a contract for the time I knew I would be there and go month to month after that. I'm going to guess that they were more willing to work with me due to my Judo background and having already done some BJJ as well - they knew that I'd be able to jump right in without extra help on their part.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Crosspost.
Goon-League update
I am now undefeated in mma.

I had an amateur fight, rule was no elbows ever, no strikes to the head of a downed opponent. Catchweight 78 kilos (171lbs) with me coming up from 76(167) and him down from 83(182). In the end he only got down to 80.5(177). Fight day he was 85(187) and I was 77(169). Pride never die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpMgunkuKZA
Guy came in aggressive as gently caress, and basically half knocked me down half convinced me to pull guard shoot a brazilian double. Then he proceded to illegaly punch me in the face whenever i went for leglocks, twice in the first round,getting him warned, us reset, and earning him a 2 point deduction in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry9Ut0r2slQ
In round 2 I connected with an ok overhand but then decided to/was convinced to go to the ground again, where he kicked and punched me resulting in a dq win for me.

I feel like without his cheating I might have gotten one of the early leglocks i was going for, and he was visibly fading in the second round, so there even better. Also depends on how the judges would have scored the knockdowns/guard pulls. Might have eked it out even under pride rules, maybe I'd have finished the leglocks, i don't know.

So all in all this is about as lovely a win as can be, but it's a win, so now I can proudly say that I have a straight winning record, I've never gone the distance, and have never been stopped.

(Obviously critique on my shittyness is welcome)

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Grats! A win (especially against a jerk like that) is always something to be celebrated.

I think my biggest piece of advice is to have patience- you just never seemed to have control of the fight. For example, wading into his punches without feeling out his standing range and intensity, dropping to groundwork without off-balancing or even gripping him, looking for subs without anything but a DLR hook, and letting him overpower you even from the bottom of side control.

Your hips are basically locked all fight and that's impeding your flow, but that'll change with time. For some specific techniques, you might consider Imanari rolls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s670y3NKics- they're kinda cheesy but they'll work with your 'pull guard' move (which is really more of a 'just drop onto your back' move), set up leg locks, disrupt his balance, and make you more of a moving target so you don't get pounded as you go down.

Also, vs guys who hang on to the headlock, pass to side control (you did this), then to north/south, and then just throw your leg over and arm bar if they still aren't letting go.

Finally, better fighters will just keep the DLR hook off and thank you for giving them top position, and buttkick escape or 360 pivot escape if the leglock ever gets that far. Sweeping first from the DLR hook like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rux8Qf9eskE might help you some, and it's an easy swing into deep half from there if you can't make the DLR work.

E: What the hell, my Imanari roll link broke overnight? Okay, fixed

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 9, 2012

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Grats niethan! I'm unable to watch the videos right now but a loving mma win is a loving mma win!

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

You do seem to take a lot of shots early on which could be avoided with less back-stepping and more lateral movement. Your opponent threw, almost exclusively, hard hooks and a few straights but did so moving forward so quickly that it can be hard to get your bearings.

The ring seems really, really small from that angle. To the point where I was wondering how you could have sidestepped those shots without getting instantly boxed in against the ropes.

Tighten your elbows a little bit. I'm honestly not good with your gameplan and have no idea how to make the rolling thing work because jitz is strange and foreign to me, but I do agree that you need to slow down a bit and focus on controlling.

Good show though. Did that shin clack thing in round 1 hurt like a motherfucker?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Thoguh posted:

You'll have to sign a yearlong contract, so that plan probably will not work. Though I'm surprised they won't work with you at all. When I did BJJ at a Gracie Barra place it was only for a few months and I was upfront about it and they let me just do a contract for the time I knew I would be there and go month to month after that. I'm going to guess that they were more willing to work with me due to my Judo background and having already done some BJJ as well - they knew that I'd be able to jump right in without extra help on their part.

Actually I checked and this GBJJ place doesn`t do long term contracts. Im cool with having to wear a GBJJ gi, hell I`ll rent one or whatever if they want me to that badly. But they are flat out saying I can`t train there at all. So I guess its back to my question, am I being a real douchebag if I say "alright, I wanna join the GB team", pay for two months, finish out the last few weeks in my town to show Im willing to try it out, and then see from there if I really enjoy it over my old place? Or am I starting an enemy/burning bridges by doing that?

This might sound petty maybe, but its frustrating, but is there someone I can contact in the GBJJ franchise/affiliation that can raise a stink about this? I don't like playing the "Im in the Canadian Forces" card, but seriously, I have a short term tasking in a town outside of where I live, and I just want to train for the short time I'm here because I love BJJ and want to stay in shape. Isnt this what the gently caress BJJ is all about?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Why not just tell them that you're willing to give it an honest shake, take it for two months and see how you feel? You're not joining a cult, just be honest with everyone.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I would personally just take the time off, spend it lifting weights and jogging. They sound like assholes, and a lot of trouble for a mere six weeks of BJJ.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yeah I agree on the passivity, I definitely straight up got steamrolled. Shame the fight ended when it did, cause I feel like he was slowing down less than I was and I might've been able to put sth together.

Shins didn't hurt at all in that moment and aren't hurting now, only a little sore, but no more so than after sparring.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swagger like us posted:

Isnt this what the gently caress BJJ is all about?

Gracie Barra isn't a McDojo, but they follow that business model. I don't fault them for it because for the guys running the clubs it is their livelihood, not something they do on the side or as a volunteer.

Making you sign a yearlong contract (or in this case not letting people just drop in) allows them to have predictable cash flows each month. That lets them know whether they'll be able to make the rent (and pay their own personal bills). It also gives them time to respond to flagging enrollment (or to know they need to expand if enrollment is climbing). It additionally frees them up from spending all their time chasing down people for payments. The contracts also makes their income more regular, rather than jumping up and down every month. These are all very important things for a small business owner, which is what a GB franchisee is.

Like I said, I don't like it, but I understand it.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I hyperextended my big toe when I tried to shield/check a kick in MT with my shin. The guy's leg/foot landed right on my toe and bent it backward. I'm taught to flex my toes upward when I go to shield a kick (to tense up the muscles around the shinbone), but then my toes are in the way, aren't they? Anyway, how can I avoid this?

edit: Are these the King shin guards everyone recommends?
http://www.muaythaistuff.com/product/KNG-KPSGL-23/

I might use this injury to get a new set of shin guards even though I don't think they'll protect against my specific toe injury anyway.

lowcrabdiet fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 9, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

lowcrabdiet posted:

I hyperextended my big toe when I tried to shield/check a kick in MT with my shin. The guy's leg/foot landed right on my toe and bent it backward. I'm taught to flex my toes upward when I go to shield a kick (to tense up the muscles around the shinbone), but then my toes are in the way, aren't they? Anyway, how can I avoid this?

I've heard some places teach isometrically tensing the lower leg when checking, but you can do that with lifting the foot up but still curling toes down.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Most schools still make room for guys traveling or just unwilling to sign on for a year ahead. Those Gracie places are always weird about this stuff, very uptight.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 9, 2012

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

niethan posted:

Crosspost.
Goon-League update
I am now undefeated in mma.

I had an amateur fight, rule was no elbows ever, no strikes to the head of a downed opponent. Catchweight 78 kilos (171lbs) with me coming up from 76(167) and him down from 83(182). In the end he only got down to 80.5(177). Fight day he was 85(187) and I was 77(169). Pride never die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpMgunkuKZA
Guy came in aggressive as gently caress, and basically half knocked me down half convinced me to pull guard shoot a brazilian double. Then he proceded to illegaly punch me in the face whenever i went for leglocks, twice in the first round,getting him warned, us reset, and earning him a 2 point deduction in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry9Ut0r2slQ
In round 2 I connected with an ok overhand but then decided to/was convinced to go to the ground again, where he kicked and punched me resulting in a dq win for me.

I feel like without his cheating I might have gotten one of the early leglocks i was going for, and he was visibly fading in the second round, so there even better. Also depends on how the judges would have scored the knockdowns/guard pulls. Might have eked it out even under pride rules, maybe I'd have finished the leglocks, i don't know.

So all in all this is about as lovely a win as can be, but it's a win, so now I can proudly say that I have a straight winning record, I've never gone the distance, and have never been stopped.

(Obviously critique on my shittyness is welcome)

There isnt any indication that the other guy has trained any kind of martial arts and he still whooped your rear end. He was just swinging like a retard and he still would have knocked you out in 5 seconds if it werent for you flopping around to take advantage of the no ground strikes rule. If youve been training for more than 2 or 3 months you need to seriously rethink how youre training and start practicing with actual fighting in mind or youre wasting your time

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Chemtrail Clem posted:

There isnt any indication that the other guy has trained any kind of martial arts and he still whooped your rear end. He was just swinging like a retard and he still would have knocked you out in 5 seconds if it werent for you flopping around to take advantage of the no ground strikes rule. If youve been training for more than 2 or 3 months you need to seriously rethink how youre training and start practicing with actual fighting in mind or youre wasting your time

This is a very harsh shaded way of looking at things

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

lowcrabdiet posted:

edit: Are these the King shin guards everyone recommends?
http://www.muaythaistuff.com/product/KNG-KPSGL-23/

I might use this injury to get a new set of shin guards even though I don't think they'll protect against my specific toe injury anyway.

Ya, those are good shinguards.

I like to curl my toes upwards as well, can't keep my leg firm during the check while flexing and that's more important to me than protecting my toes. You just have to be mindful of sweeps.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don't think I've ever been taught specifically but having your foot up let alone your toes curled up sounds dangerous as hell?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Chemtrail Clem posted:

There isnt any indication that the other guy has trained any kind of martial arts and he still whooped your rear end

Come on.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
I've been considering getting into some sort of MA for a while. I work in the restaurant/bar world, and conflict rears its head at least once a month now thanks to all the mma-watching texas-style guidos running around.

I haven't hit anyone since I was 12 and I'm 27 now. I've always talked my way out of fights and avoided them well enough, but I've grown a bit tired of drunks calling me every name under the sun, sometimes for absolutely no reason at all (maybe they think im someone else? :ohdear:).

I never plan to jump into someone's face, but my tongue is sharp as gently caress and I'd love to be able to use it confidently.

The gist of it is someone will assume I'm a bus boy and wants to show off to their friends by picking on me. The crazy thing is its almost always someone smaller than me. At worst they're my size. I'll have a million sharp and insulting comebacks roaring through my head but I just bite my tongue and stay angry half the night. The management and longterm employees tell me I can tell them to gently caress off and use whatever kind of language I want, and if they swing first I'm free to do whatever.

With that said, I'm much more interested in defensive combat. Hell I'd love to never even swing at someone if I don't have to. Between breaking my own hand and breaking someone's face (which would cause legal trouble I'd imagine), I'd much rather just avoid it.

I live in a big town, what should I look for that involves quickly pins/submissions? I'm 6'0 170 athletic build. I've been in the gym for a while focusing on heavy lifts. Tonight I'm getting back into the running scene.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Christoff posted:

I don't think I've ever been taught specifically but having your foot up let alone your toes curled up sounds dangerous as hell?
A shin whacking at you is dangerous in general. It's safe as long as you don't lift your leg too high, the problem with pointing your foot down is that you're always at risk of getting your supporting leg kicked out from underneath you. The upside is that his shin is less likely to gently caress up your foot and you're quicker on the counter.

Black Cat posted:

I haven't hit anyone since I was 12 and I'm 27 now. I've always talked my way out of fights and avoided them well enough, but I've grown a bit tired of drunks calling me every name under the sun, sometimes for absolutely no reason at all (maybe they think im someone else? :ohdear:).

I never plan to jump into someone's face, but my tongue is sharp as gently caress and I'd love to be able to use it confidently.

The gist of it is someone will assume I'm a bus boy and wants to show off to their friends by picking on me. The crazy thing is its almost always someone smaller than me. At worst they're my size. I'll have a million sharp and insulting comebacks roaring through my head but I just bite my tongue and stay angry half the night. The management and longterm employees tell me I can tell them to gently caress off and use whatever kind of language I want, and if they swing first I'm free to do whatever.

uhhh

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ligur posted:

Come on.

Its true though, the guy was just wildly swinging like a bum and when niethan went for a takedown the guy just held onto a sloppy guillotine every time like an untrained person does. Niethan got mount and the guy just shoved him off. Niethan looked like he didnt want to be in there, and he would have gotten really hurt if he was in an actual fight. He landed a decent punch and then immediately crumbled to the ground for no reason without getting hit, why? Just like everyone in this thread jumps on people who train aikido or whatever other ineffective martial arts, if niethan has been training for more than a few months its safe to say whatever his gym has been teaching him didnt prepare him for a real fight

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Black Cat posted:

I've been considering getting into some sort of MA for a while. I work in the restaurant/bar world, and conflict rears its head at least once a month now thanks to all the mma-watching texas-style guidos running around.

With that said, I'm much more interested in defensive combat. Hell I'd love to never even swing at someone if I don't have to. Between breaking my own hand and breaking someone's face (which would cause legal trouble I'd imagine), I'd much rather just avoid it.

I live in a big town, what should I look for that involves quickly pins/submissions? I'm 6'0 170 athletic build. I've been in the gym for a while focusing on heavy lifts. Tonight I'm getting back into the running scene.

Get a new job if you find yourself constantly angry at your customers. In fact, find a new job anyway, because a place where management thinks its ok to mistreat customers is a lovely place.

If you are going to stay at that job, you absolutely do not need to be getting into physical alterations with customers - nor should you be provoking them with your rapier-like wit and biting comebacks. The owner of the bar has absolutely zero interest in defending against tort suits because one of his employees decided to mouth off to annoying customers. You will lose your job very quickly if you hurt a customer.

Basically, your post comes down to "I want to be able to shoot my mouth off when someone calls me a bad name, and I'm so good at trash talking that they'll invariably attack me, and I want to know how to hurt them - oh but I don't really want to fight, so I want to learn something defensive."

You want to learn how to fight so that you can pick fights with angry/dickish drunks. Not a good reason to learn how to fight.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Have you ever watched a JV wrestling match? Or a JV football game? Because that was JV MMA. Of course it looked horrible and ugly.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Have you ever watched a JV wrestling match? Or a JV football game? Because that was JV MMA. Of course it looked horrible and ugly.

A JV wrestler would have easily won that fight though

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

You should buy a gun so when someone looks like they're gonna jump you for wounding their pride with your sharp tongue you can raise your shirt while giving them a smug as hell look and show them the chrome plated .45 you carry in your waistband. Also, that person is apparently a customer at your place of employment. Also you sound a little crazy.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Chemtrail Clem posted:

you need to seriously rethink how youre training and start practicing with actual fighting in mind or youre wasting your time

What does this even mean? No one here trains like they think they are a real life analogue to Ryu. AFAIK, we all do MA as a fun, active form of recreation. He's clearly not trying to become Anderson Silva. It's like hes doing an adult kickball league, except instead of kickball its this other thing we like to do that involves hugging and striking. Is your claim that if you can't compete in MMA, which is a sport with its own set of unique rules and conditions, you are wasting your time? Or is that if you are unsuccessful at your hobby it's a waste of time? Let's try to remember some after school specials and remember that winning is nice but its not everything.

Also, niethan acknowledged his weaknesses. He still went out and fought and won, based on the rules previously agreed to by both parties. Rule 4 of the OP is still don't be an rear end in a top hat. If you come in and start judging people who are openly sharing their experiences, no matter how good or bad, it discourages people wanting to share those experiences. Not trying to become the best around is still a valid way to pursue and practice MA.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
I'm making more than you're average college grad and I don't have too many marketable skills. Hell I was going to deliver pizza if I didn't get this. I'm going to school to eventually get out of this lifestyle, but its there for now.

It gets to the point of these drunk asses following me around, calling me little boy, and asking me for random stuff just to have their ego saturated.

If I told them to gently caress off I'm sure 98% of the time they would, but there's the chance they'd be drunk enough to swing. I'd much rather know what I was doing than transform into the windmill monster and risk both of us getting hurt worse than we need to.

I know America is sue happy, but I don't think drunks at a bar have a lot of leverage. I've seen bouncers knock people out even before punches were thrown. Hell a couple nights ago our manager wrestled a beer away from a guy because he was pouring it everywhere on purpose.

As a comment on the neithan video, if I'm reading it right the guy was 18 pounds heavier, which might throw off grappling by a good bit.

Black Cat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 9, 2012

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

entris posted:

Get a new job if you find yourself constantly angry at your customers. In fact, find a new job anyway, because a place where management thinks its ok to mistreat customers is a lovely place.

Yeah when you say the management gave you permission to tell them to gently caress off, did you mean "gently caress off and leave" or "gently caress off and I'll get you another waiter"?

If the latter: what the other guy said. I wouldn't normally tell someone to just get a new job like it's the easiest thing in the world, especially in this economy. But if you have the free time and the disposable income for serious martial arts training then you could be doing something more productive to improve your situation.

If the former, what more do you need to say than "Leave"? These guys want to feel like a big shot because they have all the power and you have to take it and bring them their drinks. That's their dream, and they hate feeling powerless so badly they'll make dicks out of themselves in public to feel powerful in their free time. If it turns out you are the one with the power in the situation, and you can just kick them out...what more do you even want? Talk is cheap, no glib remark you can make is going to cut them deeper than that; you could at most add a little more insult to injury. If the whole thing still leaves a sour taste in your mouth, then you're not going to get the taste out by humiliating or harming people further. (That's probably healthy. It SHOULD suck being reminded that the world is full of assholes and that they're still going to be assholes tomorrow no matter what you do.)

In any case, no martial art you study will make bar fights safe physically, legally, or socially. Especially not when your attacker has friends; no competent instructor will claim to give you good odds of winning a fight like that.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 9, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm not sure if there is really a rule about youtube videos here. But stole this Mike Tyson video from the GBS youtube thread.

This is a great highlight reel showcasing his ridiculously quick path from his professional debut, to becoming world champ at age 20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FgS3kCv79I

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

McNerd posted:

Yeah when you say the management gave you permission to tell them to gently caress off, did you mean "gently caress off and leave" or "gently caress off and I'll get you another waiter"?

If the latter: what the other guy said. I wouldn't normally tell someone to just get a new job like it's the easiest thing in the world, especially in this economy. But if you have the free time and the disposable income for serious martial arts training then you could be doing something more productive to improve your situation,

If the former...what more do you need to say than "Leave"? These guys want to feel like a big shot because they have all the power and you have to take it and bring them their drinks. That's their dream, and they hate feeling powerless so badly they'll make dicks out of themselves in public to look powerful. If it turns out you are the one with the power in the situation, and you can just kick them out...what more do you even want? Talk is cheap, no glib remark you can make is going to cut them deeper than that. If the whole thing still leaves a sour taste in your mouth, then you're not going to get the taste out by humiliating or harming people further.

In any case, no martial art you study will make bar fights safe physically, legally, or socially. Especially not when your attacker has friends.

I've asked around, as this hasn't just happened once. A couple managers and employees say just drop whatever your doing around them, walk away, and refuse to talk them. If they continue, just tell them to stop talking to you or to leave you alone, etc. One manager and a couple other employees said say whatever you want and if they try to swing beat their rear end.

I'm making 30k-45k a year here, for the last 9 years I've never made more than 12k at a job. I'd literally get my rear end kicked at work if I needed to.

I didn't expect so much vehemence to my post, I guess I've been away from SA too long. It'd be one thing if I was asking about which MA I should start with so that I could shatter a guys skull with my elbow, but all I'm looking for is some direction into quickly ending a barfight with everyone receiving the lowest amount of physical harm.

Imagine this conversation:

Me: So I went over to table 43 to pick up their empty glasses and the guy with the hat called me a bitch human being, I don't know what the gently caress.

Manager: What a dick, what did you say to him?

Me: I just pretended it didn't happen and walked away.

Manager: Well thats ok I guess, kinda surprised you'd let such a little guy do that.

Me: Yeah, I'm used to letting things roll off. However now he's going out of his way to interrupt me at my tables, asking for things like change, water, crackers, just random stuff. I'm just refusing to help him.

Manager: Well he called you a bitch human being and you didn't do anything.

Me: Oh I've got a million things to say, but on the odd chance he does try to do something, I'm not sure if I'd get confused and punch myself, miss so hard I dislocate my shoulder, maybe hit him so hard I crack his skull and my entire hand, try to wrestle and get my eyes gouged or just get choked half to death. I mean, one time I considered actually learning how to handle the scenario, but everyone on the internet made fun of me and told me it'd be pointless. Just let a dick chase you around taunting you and if its too bad run to a manager who'll just silently laugh at you. Or give up on your dreams of going college and making something of yourself and go back to working crap jobs and barely making it month to month.

EDIT basically the way the most approved and apt conversation would go:

rear end in a top hat: Bitch human being
Me: Don't talk to me like that.
rear end in a top hat: Gonna stop me?
Me: Swing first. *walks away*

This is all it'd take to get left alone, however its 100 times more likely that I get into a fight compared to:

rear end in a top hat: Bitch human being
Me: Yup, anything else I can get you sir
rear end in a top hat: Yeah, break this 20 for me, thanks bitch
Me: Ok sir.

Then he follows me around for half my shift and half the people working there ask me why I haven't beat his rear end yet.

Black Cat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 9, 2012

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's quite a bit of explaining you feel you need to do in order to receive our approval that you might pursue the learning of a martial art.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

swmmrmanshen posted:

What does this even mean? No one here trains like they think they are a real life analogue to Ryu. AFAIK, we all do MA as a fun, active form of recreation. He's clearly not trying to become Anderson Silva. It's like hes doing an adult kickball league, except instead of kickball its this other thing we like to do that involves hugging and striking. Is your claim that if you can't compete in MMA, which is a sport with its own set of unique rules and conditions, you are wasting your time? Or is that if you are unsuccessful at your hobby it's a waste of time? Let's try to remember some after school specials and remember that winning is nice but its not everything.

Also, niethan acknowledged his weaknesses. He still went out and fought and won, based on the rules previously agreed to by both parties. Rule 4 of the OP is still don't be an rear end in a top hat. If you come in and start judging people who are openly sharing their experiences, no matter how good or bad, it discourages people wanting to share those experiences. Not trying to become the best around is still a valid way to pursue and practice MA.

Yes, its exactly like playing adult kickball, except youre trying to hurt someone and theyre trying to hurt you and theres a high risk of injury. Also if there was an adult kickball thread here and a dude trained kickball for 3 years and posted a video of his first kickball game and he flopped onto his rear end every time they rolled the ball towards him, people would probably tell him to find a new kickball academy.

Yes, my claim is that if you spend a lot of time training MMA and it doesnt prepare you whatsoever for an MMA fight it is a waste of time. Obviously thats a bit hyperbolic because its better than sitting on the couch, I mean its a waste of time in that you could have been training boxercise if you wanted to pretend fight and get in shape, meet people etc.

Niethan himself is one of the many people who make fun of ineffectual TMAs in this thread, yet when a dudes cowardly buttflopping resembles BJJ instead of Aikido its for some reason more respectable.

Maybe I should have just posted "I dont mean to be disrespectful (but I do), but why does that dude keep falling on his rear end for no reason" http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409544&pagenumber=173&perpage=40#post405130085

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Black Cat I definitely do think you should take a martial art like BJJ or muay thai or boxing. I think it'll be great for you. I suspect you'll end up in a different place than where you started. You may want to defend yourself from mouth drunks and talk back to them but I guarantee you that after training in a martial art for a while you'll be stronger, more confident, more relaxed and less stressed. I suspect by that point you just won't care about their comments and you'll be less likely to fight. So seriously go out and train. If you are in Texas go train with Draculino if you are near his school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
I don't know what to say except reiterate the concluding paragraph of my last post. No martial art can make it safe or advisable to get into a bar fight. If we're talking multiple attackers, no martial art will even give you equal odds of a good outcome in general. And we're talking at least a year and probably more before you can reasonably be called "proficient."

We can continue to debate whether you should want what you want. But it's moot because what you want does not exist. If a sleazy instructor tries to claim otherwise, don't listen or you could get hurt (or sued/fired/all of the above).

Edit: Unfortunately I can't remember which fighter this was or find a source; maybe someone can help? But I remember Dana White's quoted first reaction on hearing that a current UFC champion was in a bar fight: "Is he okay?" Is MMA expert Dana White asking a profoundly and uncharacteristically stupid question here? If not, how do you expect to be safe in a bar fight when the world's top fighters are not?

McNerd fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 10, 2012

• Locked thread