Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'd bet the CPU sleep apk isn't working as advertised, try disabling it? A lot of folks are "porting" over various mods from other device with no real understanding of how this platform works, and loving up in the process.

Case in point: An unsafe, untested flashable zip that soft bricked a bunch of phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd bet the CPU sleep apk isn't working as advertised, try disabling it? A lot of folks are "porting" over various mods from other device with no real understanding of how this platform works, and loving up in the process.

Case in point: An unsafe, untested flashable zip that soft bricked a bunch of phones.
That thread is hilarious.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

madkapitolist posted:

My SG3 runs really hot and has pretty short battery life. I am running the Diet ICS rom on XDA and using the cpu sleep apk that is supposed to sleep one of the cpu's when the screen is off. Anyone else experiencing battery life issues? Maybe its the rom?

Sounds like some background process is clearly eating up a lot of CPU cycles. Try to iron that out or if you're rooted look into SetCPU so that you can put a hard cap on CPU max speed while the screen is off.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

LastInLine posted:

Oh that's terrible.

Saddest part is the "developer" has no idea what happened and basically asking for help. And he asks for credit for anyone using it in their ROM hah!

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp

rotaryfun posted:

Oh that's terrible.

Saddest part is the "developer" has no idea what happened and basically asking for help. And he asks for credit for anyone using it in their ROM hah!

The funniest thing is his signature.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

Oh that's terrible.

I think the best part is that the script is to save exactly two taps in a touch recovery.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

rotaryfun posted:

Oh that's terrible.

Im running lookout the antivirus/ security app, is that known to cause issues?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Does anyone here know if there's an ICS rom that works with HD video recording on the G2x? I adore my phone as it is but everyone talks about ICS being so much better than GB that now I kind of wanna try it.

No biggie if there isn't, I'm just wondering. Last I read the video recording didn't work because of some sort of driver compatibility problem.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

Those of you wanting to try JB for the first time or again hoping the "little" things have been worked out...

Bugless Beast put out by Peter Alfonso was waiting for source to hit. He's been really fast with this release which I am kind of surprised by because he tends to be behind everyone else but his builds are so stable and on point.

Any, he released his AOSP version yesterday night
http://download.peteralfonso.com/toro/rom -- all the way at the bottom

Been running it all day and I've not had a single issue with it. And by single issue I mean I haven't had to flash anything after flashing his like every other JB ROM that has come out for the GN to fix random GPS issue 313. Even the carrier code shows as verizon wireless like it's supposed to. This is the first JB ROM to do that off the bat for me.

I installed this per your recommendation and it seems pretty smooth so far. Slightly longer boot time, but I guess that's a problem a lot of JB roms are having. Everything else seems pretty good--I'll probably just run this until Verizon releases the OTA 4.1 forever.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
MADKAPITALIST: first of all of all realistically if you're on a rooted phone it doesn't matter what security precautions you're using. They can be bypassed by anyone with tech know how who steals your phone. That being said, I swear by LBE to manage permissions.

Second, in general if you're not an idiot and don't use 'alternative' app markets or pirate your apps then more than likely you'll never run into issues. At just a cursory glance at Lookout Mobile Security's website they're not offering services that can't be done already with a good recovery and any number of remote tracking and lockout apps on the market. Which, if you were paying attention wouldn't do dick with a rooted phone save forcing a remote wipe. Which wouldn't matter because you saved your backups to the SD card.

Third, what on earth does Lookout Security have to do with that moron on XDA?

Now to address your earlier issue with overheating:

madkapitolist posted:

My SG3 runs really hot and has pretty short battery life. I am running the Diet ICS rom on XDA and using the cpu sleep apk that is supposed to sleep one of the cpu's when the screen is off.

According to documentation on the SetCPU website there is a kernel governor called "hotplug" does what this apk claims to do. I would suggest that you pick up a copy of that and see if you can enable it. As someone with a single cpu device I find it absolutely hysterically baffling that someone would want to intentionally limit their device in this fashion but hey, whatever floats your boat dude.

\/\/ This is going to be somewhat muddled since I'm not exactly savvy on the technical aspects of how this works but I'll try anyway.

So SetCPU has historically handled profiles in a very X and Y fashion without any scaling when swapping between profiles. So when you have a screen off profile at 200-500mhz then your screen on profile is at 1.2ghz there is always a lag. Because this was such a persistent issue the Virtuous Team wrote VirtuousOC Daemon. From what I understand this provides for a temporary boost in clock speed to ease the transition between profiles.

Now I swapped over to OC/UV Beater 2 a while back due to this problem, but last night switched back to SetCPU since I saw that the developer had done a complete overhaul of profile scheduling and switching. Anecdotally over the past day he seems to have fixed things but only time will tell.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 12, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
SetCPU can already turn things down extremely low when the screen is off. I wouldn't want to sleep one CPU because if the first one is already underclocked and is bogged with background stuff, it might have a hard time waking up on an incoming call, and that sucks.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

LastInLine posted:

This reminds me why XDA scares me. Thankfully the GNex and Kindle Fire sections on there are relatively safe. It reminds me of older days (by that I mean like a year ago) on other phone sections-- I remember on the HTC Incredible section-- where guys would repackage roms with a lovely theme and awful fonts and call it new development. Of course these roms would brick 50% of the things they went onto.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

This reminds me why XDA scares me. Thankfully the GNex and Kindle Fire sections on there are relatively safe. It reminds me of older days (by that I mean like a year ago) on other phone sections-- I remember on the HTC Incredible section-- where guys would repackage roms with a lovely theme and awful fonts and call it new development. Of course these roms would brick 50% of the things they went onto.
Nothing's really "safe". Remember the /efs problem on the Nexus S? Still though, it's not all that hard to avoid the problems if you don't just flash everything you see.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I de-rooted my GSM Galaxy Nexus and returned to full stock since I am beginning to tie it to my corporate exchange account. Going back to 4.0.4 from 4.1 is painful. I see I can pull the signed update zip from all sorts of places, but can I flash it with a stock bootloader and recovery?

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
Ok I'm starting to figure this out but I need a bit more help. I unlocked the bootloader on my GSM Gnex, rooted it and installed Clockworkmod and CWM recovery. Where can I download the 4.1.1 rom so I can flash it? My phone is currently running 4.0.1 with build number ITL41F if that makes a difference.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

This thread seems to have what you need.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1737849

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Turnquiet posted:

I de-rooted my GSM Galaxy Nexus and returned to full stock since I am beginning to tie it to my corporate exchange account. Going back to 4.0.4 from 4.1 is painful. I see I can pull the signed update zip from all sorts of places, but can I flash it with a stock bootloader and recovery?
Not unless you have a way to push it to /cache.

Pympede posted:

Ok I'm starting to figure this out but I need a bit more help. I unlocked the bootloader on my GSM Gnex, rooted it and installed Clockworkmod and CWM recovery. Where can I download the 4.1.1 rom so I can flash it? My phone is currently running 4.0.1 with build number ITL41F if that makes a difference.
Are you takju/yakju? 4.0.1 hasn't been current software for a long time now.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Not unless you have a way to push it to /cache.
Are you takju/yakju? 4.0.1 hasn't been current software for a long time now.

It was yakjuux but I somehow got it work and update to 4.1.1 and boot. I think what I did wrong the first time was to not get CWM to erase the old data. Thanks for your help everyone, even though figuring everything out took me four hours my first few minutes of jelly bean makes it all worth it. Itlike my old phone is suddenly feels twice as fast.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

the kawaiiest posted:

Does anyone here know if there's an ICS rom that works with HD video recording on the G2x? I adore my phone as it is but everyone talks about ICS being so much better than GB that now I kind of wanna try it.

No biggie if there isn't, I'm just wondering. Last I read the video recording didn't work because of some sort of driver compatibility problem.

Videocam Illusion will let you do HD video recording with just about any ICS Rom on the 2X/G2X. It's free from the Market. The G2X should have enough horsepower to at least hit 720P.

As for video recording on Tegra 2 platforms... well, Nvidia is being a pain in the rear end about releasing drivers. That means no hardware acceleration. Once official ICS ROMs hit for the Atrix and 2x they should be ported over sooner or later.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Oh XDA, never change. :allears:

Speaking of Nexus S shenanigans; there's a JB SDK port that not only runs it runs well. The thread OP even has meaningful change logs which I haven't seen since development actually happened on XDA. Like, the G1 days. Kinda pointless with the OTA right around the corner but it's something to play with.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1764119

First boot and hour or so during restore are a bitch and the phone chugs badly but once it's finished it blows my CM9 install out of the water. That blows my mind considering it's an SDK port. o.O

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

grack posted:

Videocam Illusion will let you do HD video recording with just about any ICS Rom on the 2X/G2X. It's free from the Market. The G2X should have enough horsepower to at least hit 720P.

As for video recording on Tegra 2 platforms... well, Nvidia is being a pain in the rear end about releasing drivers. That means no hardware acceleration. Once official ICS ROMs hit for the Atrix and 2x they should be ported over sooner or later.
Thanks for the info! Seriously considering giving ICS a try now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh XDA, never change. :allears:

Speaking of Nexus S shenanigans; there's a JB SDK port that not only runs it runs well. The thread OP even has meaningful change logs which I haven't seen since development actually happened on XDA. Like, the G1 days. Kinda pointless with the OTA right around the corner but it's something to play with.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1764119

First boot and hour or so during restore are a bitch and the phone chugs badly but once it's finished it blows my CM9 install out of the water. That blows my mind considering it's an SDK port. o.O
The wife is jonesing for Jelly Bean badly. She's asked me frequently when her OTA is coming so I'll pass this along although I expect her to want to remain stock rooted.

Does it have BLN/Voodoo or is it totally stock?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

The wife is jonesing for Jelly Bean badly. She's asked me frequently when her OTA is coming so I'll pass this along although I expect her to want to remain stock rooted.

Does it have BLN/Voodoo or is it totally stock?

Totally stock and now that you mention it, no root. I didn't really check for it since I haven't used a root app in awhile.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Totally stock and now that you mention it, no root. I didn't really check for it since I haven't used a root app in awhile.
Yeah she's not going to go unrooted or without her BLN. You don't even want root so you can backup and restore your apps when the official Jelly Bean gets released? I guess I can kind of see not caring about ad-blocking (no I can't) but not having backups... :ohdear:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Yeah she's not going to go unrooted or without her BLN. You don't even want root so you can backup and restore your apps when the official Jelly Bean gets released? I guess I can kind of see not caring about ad-blocking (no I can't) but not having backups... :ohdear:

Play Store restored the base apps just fine (it even tried installing TV poo poo from my Revue :v: ) and I don't really use anything that isn't cloud or natively restored.

aCar restores natively. I had to repin a few playlists in Music and Pocket Casts can import your saved podcast subscriptions. Same goes for Nova. Other than that I have a few apps that only need a username and password. I may feel differently about my 7 when I root it but the phone stays pretty simple.

There's a few things I love love love about CM9* but I honestly don't really use root past that.

- Quiet hours
- Lockscreen fuckery
- Volume rocker skip/rewind
- Native shade toggles
- Native BLN now that you mention it

Edit: I can't remember the last time I even installed TB. :P

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 12, 2012

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rotaryfun posted:

Those of you wanting to try JB for the first time or again hoping the "little" things have been worked out...

Bugless Beast put out by Peter Alfonso was waiting for source to hit. He's been really fast with this release which I am kind of surprised by because he tends to be behind everyone else but his builds are so stable and on point.

Any, he released his AOSP version yesterday night
http://download.peteralfonso.com/toro/rom -- all the way at the bottom

Been running it all day and I've not had a single issue with it. And by single issue I mean I haven't had to flash anything after flashing his like every other JB ROM that has come out for the GN to fix random GPS issue 313. Even the carrier code shows as verizon wireless like it's supposed to. This is the first JB ROM to do that off the bat for me.

This poo poo is awesome. I've been using it for 24 hours now and haven't had a problem.

The interface "butter" update is really slick. The entire phone feels a hundred times more responsive than ICS did, if that was even possible. While re-synching my Google Play Music music, I didn't even notice a hitch.

Battery life has been pretty good so far as well.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I just want to check before I start rooting my VZW Galaxy Nexus, is this the current way of doing things? http://galaxynexusroot.com/galaxy-nexus-root/how-to-root-galaxy-nexus-universal-guidegsmverizonsprintwindowslinuxmac/

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Gyshall posted:

This poo poo is awesome. I've been using it for 24 hours now and haven't had a problem.

The interface "butter" update is really slick. The entire phone feels a hundred times more responsive than ICS did, if that was even possible. While re-synching my Google Play Music music, I didn't even notice a hitch.

Battery life has been pretty good so far as well.

YouTube crashes for me if I change the volume while its open. Does that happen to you at all?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I've just flashed the OTA 4.1.1 to my GNex, I can install su fine via CWM but it seems to NOT be rooted.

I'm pretty sure I'm not doing anything wrong, and I've already installed su via CWM a few times. It looks like it works, but when I try and open Titanium Backup, it doesn't work.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was using 3.0.7 instead of 3.1.1. My mistake!

Odette fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 12, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Henchman 21 posted:

I just want to check before I start rooting my VZW Galaxy Nexus, is this the current way of doing things? http://galaxynexusroot.com/galaxy-nexus-root/how-to-root-galaxy-nexus-universal-guidegsmverizonsprintwindowslinuxmac/

The toolkit is a lot easier.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

yamdankee posted:

The toolkit is a lot easier.

Thanks, this is exactly why I wanted to ask.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Mr. Despair posted:

YouTube crashes for me if I change the volume while its open. Does that happen to you at all?

This is an issue that was discovered in the Bugless Beast thread on rootzwiki. And the fix worked for me, so I know it does fix that. Go into system/app and delete the youtube.apk. Load onto your sd card and copy it over to system/app. Change it's permissions to rw-r-r and reboot.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18661695/YouTube.apk

Sort of an odd issue, but it's the only one I've run into in the day and a half that I've had the ROM running.

Battery has been just as solid as it was with ICS too.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

This is an issue that was discovered in the Bugless Beast thread on rootzwiki. And the fix worked for me, so I know it does fix that. Go into system/app and delete the youtube.apk. Load onto your sd card and copy it over to system/app. Change it's permissions to rw-r-r and reboot.

Sort of an odd issue, but it's the only one I've run into in the day and a half that I've had the ROM running.

Bugless Beast dude Peter Alfonso has released a new update as of today that fixes that YouTube thing.

http://download.peteralfonso.com/

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

Slopehead posted:

MADKAPITALIST: first of all of all realistically if you're on a rooted phone it doesn't matter what security precautions you're using. They can be bypassed by anyone with tech know how who steals your phone. That being said, I swear by LBE to manage permissions.

Second, in general if you're not an idiot and don't use 'alternative' app markets or pirate your apps then more than likely you'll never run into issues. At just a cursory glance at Lookout Mobile Security's website they're not offering services that can't be done already with a good recovery and any number of remote tracking and lockout apps on the market. Which, if you were paying attention wouldn't do dick with a rooted phone save forcing a remote wipe. Which wouldn't matter because you saved your backups to the SD card.

Third, what on earth does Lookout Security have to do with that moron on XDA?

Now to address your earlier issue with overheating:

According to documentation on the SetCPU website there is a kernel governor called "hotplug" does what this apk claims to do. I would suggest that you pick up a copy of that and see if you can enable it. As someone with a single cpu device I find it absolutely hysterically baffling that someone would want to intentionally limit their device in this fashion but hey, whatever floats your boat dude.

\/\/ This is going to be somewhat muddled since I'm not exactly savvy on the technical aspects of how this works but I'll try anyway.

So SetCPU has historically handled profiles in a very X and Y fashion without any scaling when swapping between profiles. So when you have a screen off profile at 200-500mhz then your screen on profile is at 1.2ghz there is always a lag. Because this was such a persistent issue the Virtuous Team wrote VirtuousOC Daemon. From what I understand this provides for a temporary boost in clock speed to ease the transition between profiles.

Now I swapped over to OC/UV Beater 2 a while back due to this problem, but last night switched back to SetCPU since I saw that the developer had done a complete overhaul of profile scheduling and switching. Anecdotally over the past day he seems to have fixed things but only time will tell.

Thanks. Ill check this out.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

- Quiet hours
- Lockscreen fuckery
- Volume rocker skip/rewind
- Native shade toggles
- Native BLN now that you mention it

Edit: I can't remember the last time I even installed TB. :P

This is me anymore. I've not rooted the gnex yet just to see how far stock ICS has come. I mostly miss the volume rocker to skip songs and the options with the lock screen. I have been installing TB because google restores it and I'm not bothered to care heh.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

deong posted:

This is me anymore. I've not rooted the gnex yet just to see how far stock ICS has come. I mostly miss the volume rocker to skip songs and the options with the lock screen. I have been installing TB because google restores it and I'm not bothered to care heh.

I'm loving stock JB, if it had toggles in the notification shade and reboot options on power press I'd never need anything else.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

big mean giraffe posted:

I'm loving stock JB, if it had toggles in the notification shade and reboot options on power press I'd never need anything else.

There's probably a better way, but I bought SwitchPro widget back in the Droid X days, and I reinstalled it when I tried stock JB and saw it has notification shade functionality. It doesn't stay at the top of the shade, but it works.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

yamdankee posted:

There's probably a better way, but I bought SwitchPro widget back in the Droid X days, and I reinstalled it when I tried stock JB and saw it has notification shade functionality. It doesn't stay at the top of the shade, but it works.

I'm using it on ICS, and it is certainly better than nothing. The one little quirk is that it takes up a spot in your notification bar in order to ensure that it runs continuously, so you'll have a blank spot up there.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

rotaryfun posted:

Thanks, that did the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

traslin posted:

I'm using it on ICS, and it is certainly better than nothing. The one little quirk is that it takes up a spot in your notification bar in order to ensure that it runs continuously, so you'll have a blank spot up there.

Widgetsoid does this too, and it's free, but it works like poo poo compared to a real solution.