Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Today I tapped a muay thai fighter with an armbar. I'm such a badass. I also spent like 5 minutes in under kesa getame because I forgot how to get out of it. After I remembered I then spent like 5 minutes on his back trying to sink a RNC. The joys of trying to double leg a judo guy when doing muay thai sparring

I remember someone posting a link to apparently good kettle bell workouts earlier in the thread... any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So tomorrow is my first jujitsu tournament. It's just an inter-club tournament so it should be pretty small. Hopefully I can get some video so everyone can ridicule my performance. Any tips (other then don't die)?

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

n3rdal3rt posted:

So tomorrow is my first jujitsu tournament. It's just an inter-club tournament so it should be pretty small. Hopefully I can get some video so everyone can ridicule my performance. Any tips (other then don't die)?

Double leg and wrist control. I (suck at jitz) was able to get second in white belt gi/and first in no-gi by literally just double legging guys into side mount with a really basic wrist control srtup, driving their face into the mat with my shoulder and chilling there while failing to submit with a kimura.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

n3rdal3rt posted:

I assume you get points for takedowns, getting mount or back, for sweeping someone out of your guard, for passing guard to sidemount, etc. If it's your first tournament, I would suggest that you prioritize winning positions and points first, and only use armbars and chokes as ways to set up takedowns, sweeps, moving to the back, etc. Don't worry about trying to win through submission. Do worry about making sure you are well-defended as you move for takedowns, sweeps, and whatnot - you don't want to get caught by an armbar or choke.

I'll never forget a blue belt match where one guy used this strategy and racked up a ton of points. The other side got annoyed that he never really committed to an armbar or choke and he played a very tight defensive game which prevented his oppoenent from getting any submissions. His opponent kept trying for armbars and chokes, while he moved from position to position and just played a points game.

A lot of beginners will fixate on winning by submission, so they fight and fight for an armbar or choke, while the opponent fights and fights to get out. Much better to go for the armbar or choke, and if the opponent squirrels out or resists, use his resistance to get into a better position. This gets you points and doesn't let you overcommit to one technique and get reversed yourself.

Also I hope your cardio is good, because all other things being equal, the guy with better cardio and aggressiveness usually wins.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
So my thumb is finally able to move again, I've been given the greenlight to go back to wrestling. I was thinking of moving gyms to one closer to home (the one I was at was literally on the other side of london) and it's boiled down to two choices:

http://bjjlondon.com/
I don't know what a Carlson Gracie gym is, it seems a bit idolistic but hey they do BJJ every day of the week.
or
http://www.londonshootfighters.com/
MMA gym with lots of MAs, a lot like my old gym but closer to home (actually affiliated with my old gym)

This is really just a quick no bullshit check, or if anyone has any experience with these. Any advice?

N3rdal3rt posted:

No tips but Good luck!

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 13, 2012

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Antinumeric posted:

So my thumb is finally able to move again, I've been given the greenlight to go back to wrestling. I was thinking of moving gyms to one closer to home (the one I was at was literally on the other side of london) and it's boiled down to two choices:

http://bjjlondon.com/
I don't know what a Carlson Gracie gym is, it seems a bit idolistic but hey they do BJJ every day of the week.
or
MMA gym with lots of MAs, a lot like my old gym but closer to home (actually affiliated with my old gym)

This is really just a quick no bullshit check, or if anyone has any experience with these. Any advice?

Holy gently caress the second one. DO THE SECOND ONE

James Thompson

Machiavellist
Jul 1, 2012
I'm slowly working my way through this amazing thread and I have to say it's been extremely informative. I'm moving back to the Pensacola area in next spring and have been considering this school, if possible I'd like the goons here to weigh in with opinions http://mma4pensacola.com/ . I plan on studying Capoeira *yes I know it has limited usefulness it's more about the fun and style I want to enjoy*, and getting back to working on my BJJ.

Anyone in the area that might have looked into the school I'd appreciate info. Also, is it that Capoeira is just viewed as more of a dance than a martial art as why it's not mentioned in the OP?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Fontoyn posted:

Holy gently caress the second one. DO THE SECOND ONE

James Thompson

I don't watch MMA, I take it he's someone big. I'm amazed at the gym facilities list: Reception, Gym Floor, Strongman Room, Ring Studio, Mat Area, Spin Room, Dojo, Spa, Tuff Ink Tattoo Parlour, Uppa Kutz Barbers, MMA Cage.
Its own tattoo parlour??

That gym is a bit further away and I'm not interested in doing MMA but drat does it sound nice, thanks for the legitness check. I'll try both and see what they are like.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 13, 2012

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Awesome, I lost the spark about instructing anyone at anything, be it information technology, history or punching. Didn't see that coming. In fact, I feel somewhat similar about training anything in general so as to, say, better myself.

I think I need a break, apart from that one advanced class with mostly friends since those are still really fun (or something to that effect; basically people I know) hanging around and about.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Somebody on bullshido compiled all of the stories by the "forever fat" guy into a blog.

http://mrbadguyforeverfat.wordpress.com/

Very funny/depressing reading. The guy's had a lifetime of nothing but terrible martial art schools, has a bunch of horrible and embarassing stories, and the way he writes is hilarious.

This is a really entertaining read, for anyone who hasn't checked it out. It also makes painfully clear how bad some places are, and how much work it takes to find a good one.

I find it really interesting that the one skill that served him best, even though the school was lame, was BJJ.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Antinumeric posted:

I don't watch MMA, I take it he's someone big. I'm amazed at the gym facilities list: Reception, Gym Floor, Strongman Room, Ring Studio, Mat Area, Spin Room, Dojo, Spa, Tuff Ink Tattoo Parlour, Uppa Kutz Barbers, MMA Cage.
Its own tattoo parlour??

That gym is a bit further away and I'm not interested in doing MMA but drat does it sound nice, thanks for the legitness check. I'll try both and see what they are like.

FYI that gym is very geared towards MMA, a thing you're not interested in :confused:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Antinumeric posted:

James Thompson used to train out of there, and still does occasionally, but they cant get in the heavy weights he needs, its certainly a legit gym, the most well known in London and I imagine its wrestling is decent for a British gym (in that it has some)

If your looking for a really good group to do MMA with, New Wave (http://www.new-wave-academy.com/) is well recommended. It's run by an ex UFC guy and they have a lot of success on the local circuits.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
http://www.londonshootfighters.com/team/fighter/lee-murray

"Taking time off in Morocco" nice

For those who don't know
http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=4289234

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Xguard86 posted:

"Taking time off in Morocco" nice

This had me laughing for quite a while

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Eh for the most part he is. Did you read the interview he did from his phone?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Judo talk:
I did a beautiful left osoto gari on a brown belt in randori. I rarely complete a throw on a fully resisting opponent and I just got back into it from 3 months off so it was a bit of a shock to both of us. Felt incredible. And before that we were doing uchi komi and I was doing osoto gari and harai goshi (never done it before) and the black belt was watching me and kept saying I must be practicing in my time off because I've improved so much but I haven't done anything at all except play ps3. I think after almost two years I'm starting to 'get' judo. Only very slightly, but enough that people are noticing. My ashi waza is really coming together.

When I did my first harai goshi throw after doing the uchi komi for 10 mins, I got the uke on my hip and he just fell so perfectly it was totally awesome. I've wanted to learn harai goshi for aaaages. Its not at all what I expected though. The right leg doesn't actually sweep anything, he was already totally off the ground before my leg even went around. And the coach watching goes 'that was basically a perfect harai goshi' and for the first time since I got it, I felt like I have earned my orange belt :D

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Strikechat:

Any of you other boxer geeks use the peek-a-boo style... uhh, guard? It loving owns, great for slipping, for counters and machinegunning jabs but goddamn is it suspecpitble to the jab and long right cross combination (probably the first one anyone learns too). The last one lands on your loving temple! gently caress! And you get tagged by uppercuts.

In fact goddamn, you get tagged by everything unless you are 20 year old Mike Tyson, maybe I should consider switching to something else. Expletive.

Also here is new video of some guys beating each other up with lots of hooks and kicking each other with shoes in fights where you can't check kicks.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Lowkicks don't hurt if you're only landing with the foot/shoe...weird style that values artistic movements over effective strikes.

I don't feel comfortable in a peek-a-boo guard because I have to worry too much about hooks & overhands (aka the 2 favorite punches for setting up kicks/knees). Instead I like to keep a higher guard like Cotto or Remy which leaves me open for uppercuts instead..not too worried about those.

Chokeslam
Jan 1, 2007
Make him humble
Since we finally have a decent looking and working website up I thought I'd briefly pimp our gym for those in Australia. Pretty chuffed given its humble begginings 7 years ago in a scout hall with leaking roof and huntsman nests.

https://www.vt1gym.com

I might be biased as an assistant instructor there, but I rekon we have the the best BJJ programs in Sydney as well as an awesome culture and a great competition record in BJJ, MMA and Muay Thai.

Any Sydneysiders feel free to come check us out!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Had an awesome seminar last night with Helio Soneca. Focused on de la riva and berimbolo, which was totally new to me but really fun. I also got a new stripe from the whole deal. Soneca is also one of the most funny people ever.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Nierbo posted:

Judo talk:
I did a beautiful left osoto gari on a brown belt in randori. I rarely complete a throw on a fully resisting opponent and I just got back into it from 3 months off so it was a bit of a shock to both of us. Felt incredible. And before that we were doing uchi komi and I was doing osoto gari and harai goshi (never done it before) and the black belt was watching me and kept saying I must be practicing in my time off because I've improved so much but I haven't done anything at all except play ps3. I think after almost two years I'm starting to 'get' judo. Only very slightly, but enough that people are noticing. My ashi waza is really coming together.

When I did my first harai goshi throw after doing the uchi komi for 10 mins, I got the uke on my hip and he just fell so perfectly it was totally awesome. I've wanted to learn harai goshi for aaaages. Its not at all what I expected though. The right leg doesn't actually sweep anything, he was already totally off the ground before my leg even went around. And the coach watching goes 'that was basically a perfect harai goshi' and for the first time since I got it, I felt like I have earned my orange belt :D

Awesome, I'm glad you kept at it and got rewarded in the end! We all feel like useless blobs at time when learning judo because it's so hard/long to go from "I totally suck" to "I suck slightly less and see that I'm improving".

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

KingColliwog posted:

Awesome, I'm glad you kept at it and got rewarded in the end! We all feel like useless blobs at time when learning judo because it's so hard/long to go from "I totally suck" to "I suck slightly less and see that I'm improving".

Thanks very much, I'm glad too. And yes that's exactly what its like, I do suck slightly less. My newaza is still entirely ineffectual but there's time for that.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
So, trip report. I've lived on every continent except Africa. I've broken up countless fights. I started martial arts with wushu, trained MMA for four years, then capoiera for a few years, now muay thai for a few.

Think I can honestly say that for stand up fights, there is nothing better in the world than boxing. I really regret not training just boxing more often and earlier. It is so loving good for ending non-sports related fights (when weapons are not involved). I think it is the only self defense striking system I can, without a doubt, recommend. And this coming from erusomeone who specializes in kicks, and is being carried by his kicks, heavily. Everyone who is concerned with self defense and striking, drop what you are doing now and g1o learn how to box.

Ground game is different. I suck balls major at that.

On an unrelated topic, buakaw's new training regimen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn5CvUqIwQ4&feature=youtube_gdata_player4

Edit: step 1, flood gym....

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

n3rdal3rt posted:

So the group was pretty small only 3 guys in my grappling division, middleweight novice. Unluck of the draw I only got to fight once but won with a butterfly choke to get first place.
Randori on the other hand, I got owned. I'm not a striker and got destroyed on points (looks like someone is going to have to check in to some striking classes). Also because of the small number of people there was a 4th added to my division who was about 70lbs heavier then the rest of us. Guess who got to fight him first? No excuses though, I performed poorly.
Honestly nothing awesome in the videos but if someone wants to see them I might get around to posting them.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I wonder how much Muay Thai is going to blow up when this new Ryan Gosling movie comes out

quote:

A Bangkok police lieutenant and a gangster settle their differences in a Thai-boxing match.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Christoff posted:

I wonder how much Muay Thai is going to blow up when this new Ryan Gosling movie comes out

I already bragged about this, but it's being filmed at the gym I lived/trained at there.. apparently he's pretty chill in person.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ligur posted:

Any of you other boxer geeks use the peek-a-boo style... uhh, guard? It loving owns, great for slipping, for counters and machinegunning jabs but goddamn is it suspecpitble to the jab and long right cross combination (probably the first one anyone learns too). The last one lands on your loving temple! gently caress! And you get tagged by uppercuts.
I don't have the core strength to use it effectively. But when I drill on the slip bag, I do square up in front of the mirror pivot like Mike does in his training highlight videos.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

rhazes posted:

I already bragged about this, but it's being filmed at the gym I lived/trained at there.. apparently he's pretty chill in person.

Yeah, I think I remember reading your post. I'm not complaining about it or anything. The dude is just real famous and I think we'll see a mini-explosion. The only movies that come to mind involving MT that were semi-popular were Tony Jaa's

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Christoff posted:

Yeah, I think I remember reading your post. I'm not complaining about it or anything. The dude is just real famous and I think we'll see a mini-explosion. The only movies that come to mind involving MT that were semi-popular were Tony Jaa's

When I was in the theater waiting to see Drive, I was flipping through the theater magazine and cringed when I heard he was going to Thailand to learn muay thai. I said to my friend 'SERIOUSLY, is going to thailand to train the thing to do now? Crap.'

I bet we will see it become a bit more popular though. I still haven't even seen Ong Bak and I'm a little embarrassed about it.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
Here's a random, vague question with a little backstory.

I've spent a decent amount of time sparring with LARP'ing groups. I really get into the "sport" of it, and most of the nerdy stuff is tolerable when its just sparring. Luckily magic fire balls and enchanted weapons were nearly not existent, and there truly is an art to not getting ribbed by a pipe with an inch of foam attached to it.

Both groups I've sparred with had a pretty decent core of fighters that followed the same guidelines for their techniques. Since it was pretty casual, I did my own thing excelled pretty well very quickly. I learned from their style-base but I found them lacking and also it didn't fit with my own natural rhythm.

For instance, one group subscribed to a "stay in your box" mentality, from which I learned the many advantages of rotating ones hips to guard from outside strikes, instead of extending out to meet those strikes. However you could easily imagine how this mentality is completely antagonistic to many other techniques, especially anything regarding a more fencing based approach. The other group adhered to a "there's only X amount of strikes that exist" mentality. Whenever they'd train a new person this way, I'd find that person later and, in a somewhat undermining and assholish way, teach them some off-color techniques that excelled fairly well. For instance, while fighting as sword and board, if you detect a defensive enemy you can rush forward, raise shield to block their field of vision, and throw a low rap or low stab and they'll never even know you've went to swing. It doesn't take long to master rushing forward, raising shield, and lowering weapon into one solid movement. It does break down into a "basic shot" and I did learn a bit from their bare-bones way of thinking, but not taking into account everything else during a fight seemed a bit criminal to me.

I'll soon be looking for gyms and training programs. Is there any motivation to add my own mix to things and take what I may or is this kind of behavior severely frowned upon? I'm definitely not going to break any rules, but if I find that something I'm not instructed to do works better or if I find that I just don't feel natural or comfortable doing something instructed will I be "that guy" or is this ok? I can definitely see something with much more regiment to be expected to follow with as much precision as possible.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This coming from the same guy looking to defend himself while serving :psyduck:

Black Cat posted:

I'm definitely not going to break any rules, but if I find that something I'm not instructed to do works better or if I find that I just don't feel natural or comfortable doing something instructed will I be "that guy" or is this ok?

When you're cleared to spar, feel free to do whatever you want. Expect to get tooled with stuff that doesn't work, but experimentation is fine.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
This depends a lot on the Gym and the people. You will get looked at funny if you don't know the basics. But if it works and they tell you not to do it without explaining why what you're doing is wrong then that's a big red flag.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Guilty posted:

Think I can honestly say that for stand up fights, there is nothing better in the world than boxing. I really regret not training just boxing more often and earlier. It is so loving good for ending non-sports related fights (when weapons are not involved). I think it is the only self defense striking system I can, without a doubt, recommend.

This is a great post I can agree with, even without being able to discern if you are 105% serious and/or drunk because - loving - smack on. The more I study and try out boxing the deeper my respect goes, and I've always loved it. Most of the problems in the world would be solved with only some concussions instead of the four horsemen if everyone learned to box and settled their disputes that way.

A would-be mugger or a drunk threatening rear end in a top hat (say, at your workplace where you tend the saloon as it happens) will learn a lesson he will not forget if you can box, even for a bit, because he cannot touch you and you can knock him to the floor with ease. When you are standing up, you can be attacked from the side or the behind, but you can't be kicked in the head by four people because you tried to grapple one of them and your shifty footwork will position your assailants in a row, thus making it impossible for them to gang on you anyway.

If a tree or a a bridge falls on your head or a car attempts to drive you over, you can sidestep it because you are accustomed to sidestepping lighting jabs launched from four feet away, and no falling tree or speeding car is just as fast.

Because of the contact involved in boxing vs some art where you practice "form" and gain belts (in boxing the only belt that matters or that is to be gained says "Champion"), you will be accustomed to physicality in every and all forms, rendering you invulnerable to the shock effects of being pushed, shoved or hurt. It puts some iron in your soul.

Furthermore if you learn a little boxing, and this might be one of the best advantages to be gained, watching a klitschko fight can become somewhat entertaining, which for obvious reasons is otherwise rather difficult.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Boxing is great for self-defense in situations that can be avoided in the first place - the drunk at the bar (who you can avoid by leaving the bar), the tough guy trying to prove his social dominance (who you can avoid by not mouthing off and backing out fo the altercation). It's not particularly helpful in situations where self-defense = surviving the encounter.

Boxing versus an armed attacker is a pretty terrible idea, and let's face it: if someone is going to mug you or attack you for some other reason, they are almost certainly going to be armed. Boxing versus multiple attackers may help you move around and keep them at bay, provided that they don't rush you all at once and provided that they don't have any weapons.

Throwing a good bare-knuckle punch is likely to break your hand on your attacker's head, unless you are incredibly skilled/lucky and you manage to hit the jaw or nose. Punching anywhere else on your attacker's body (other than the groin) is going to hurt, but won't incapacitate him. And if you later need your fingers to work, for example if you need to quickly get in your car to drive off or to turn a door handle to get into a safe place, you may not want to throw punches that could disable your hands.

I like boxing a lot but let's not pretend that it's useful for self-defense, unless your concept of "self-defense" is limited only to avoidable fights with unarmed aggressors who aren't really trying to kill you.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I finally built up the balls to take my first muay thai class and I talked to the teacher just to make sure I had everything I needed. All I need is gloves, wraps (optional), and a mouth guard for now. I got a mouth guard and I boiled it, fit it to me, etc. I put it in and gagged like crazy.

Every time I put my mouthguard in I gag like a freak. I cut the back of it as far as I could but it doesn't help. Does anyone have any tricks on how to not throw up from this drat thing? I already get nauseous when I get winded so adding a mouth guard into the mix will literally make me throw up.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Moniker posted:

I finally built up the balls to take my first muay thai class and I talked to the teacher just to make sure I had everything I needed. All I need is gloves, wraps (optional), and a mouth guard for now. I got a mouth guard and I boiled it, fit it to me, etc. I put it in and gagged like crazy.

Every time I put my mouthguard in I gag like a freak. I cut the back of it as far as I could but it doesn't help. Does anyone have any tricks on how to not throw up from this drat thing? I already get nauseous when I get winded so adding a mouth guard into the mix will literally make me throw up.

Sounds like you have an extra sensitive gag reflex. Try googling "how to get rid of my gag reflect", I'm sure that will help.

Seriously though, you'll have to spend some time with the mouthguard in, just trying to be calm and relaxed, maybe just sitting in your computer chair browsing the forums. Try to put it in for one second, then two, etc etc.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Someone once explained he watched Rocky I, II and III wearing his mouthguard. After that he never gagged. And I'm actually serious.

I suspect this method might not be a cure-it-all fit for everyone, however.

You might also try putting them on and just walking around as often as possible or playing your favourite multiplayer co-op, it makes for amusing communication and helps you get used to it. If you focus on something other than the mouthguard choking you, it can help. Once you get over the initial "garlgh!" and forget about it the uncomfortable feeling pretty much vanishes.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

entris posted:

Sounds like you have an extra sensitive gag reflex. Try googling "how to get rid of my gag reflect", I'm sure that will help.

Seriously though, you'll have to spend some time with the mouthguard in, just trying to be calm and relaxed, maybe just sitting in your computer chair browsing the forums. Try to put it in for one second, then two, etc etc.

I am gonna try that all day today. I'm curious if anyone has dealt with custom mouth guards? LIke the ones from http://custommouthguards.com. A lot of people say they're so non intrusive that they sometimes leave the gym and still have it in. If that's the case I'll get a custom and just skip out on all of the gagging. Heh.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

entris posted:

Try googling "how to get rid of my gag reflect", I'm sure that will help.

Gonna need a trip report from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Thoguh posted:

Gonna need a trip report from that.

Hum. You might find that it's difficult to gag and hum at the same time.

I find this too funny in several different ways!

• Locked thread