Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

Just got my rear end kicked by a guy who had Krenko's Commands, Arms Dealer, and Krenko every game...uhhh how do you beat that

Planar cleansing.

Actually Cower in Fear hoses that pretty good. Doesnt kill Krenko but restarts his goblin count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Blood Reckoning works too, not that it seems like something I want to main deck even in sealed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

Just got my rear end kicked by a guy who had Krenko's Commands, Arms Dealer, and Krenko every game...uhhh how do you beat that

Yea me too. It's really frustrating. Worse part is I had a decent amount of answers but got stuck on 3 lands...

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

JAMOOOL posted:

Removal is good. Krenko's Command is pretty non-threatening if he doesn't have Arms Dealer and Krenko to back it up.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
That was the problem! Command + Arms Dealer is frustrating enough but adding in Krenko, cripes

The sad thing is he was attacking all out (as he should) until I had 4 untapped b/c he thought I'd do the "destroy target attacker or blocker" on the Arms Dealer. I did draw my Rain of Blades he was playing around a different card and I couldn't nail the Arms Dealer. Anyway just a heads up, Krenko is really, really, really good

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Also, playing W/U, most of your removal doesn't really help (some of it only hits attackers, Pacifism doesn't help, bounce can stall, I guess Encrust would have done it but I didn't get any, and I never saw my O-Ring)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
seems like you forgot the draft the premiere blue removal spell.

essence scatter.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

JAMOOOL posted:

Also, playing W/U, most of your removal doesn't really help (some of it only hits attackers, Pacifism doesn't help, bounce can stall, I guess Encrust would have done it but I didn't get any, and I never saw my O-Ring)

So what you're saying is: "U/W has many pieces of removal to deal with this, but I didn't draft any of it."

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Uhhh, define "many". Like I guess it's cool to just randomly be a dick ITT and try to turn things around on people who talk about things they lost to. TBH I'm not even complaining, just kind of marvelling at how degenerate that was (especially in a draft). But it's not really my fault that I never saw an Encrust in the draft and that my O-Ring was MIA. Even still it's not so much that it can't be removed, it's that if you DON'T remove it quick, then there is almost no strategy that gets around it; flyers get shut down, there's no real protection, you can't block, even a Rain of Blades does little if he's protecting Arms Dealer. This is typical of a lot of degenerate rares in Limited but this is really the first time where I was twice put into turn 4 situations where it's "topdeck O-Ring and give yourself maybe a 20% chance of winning, or don't topdeck it and lose", which is pretty crazy. I'm glad though that you're apparently such a great drafter that will always have answers to stuff like that :)

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Essentially this is why people hated AVR draft right? "I can't beat a turn 4 Druid's Familiar" - I GUESS YOU JUST DIDNT DRAFT CORRECTLY THEN!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

double double post good job. Also chill out.

Pre combat downpour would have helped. Its my understanding that the UW archetype is all about stalling until you get to whatever wins (various Serra Creatures, big bad blue-ys, etc), so lots of hatchlings and fog banks would have also helped. As for removal yeah everything you mentioned. Also divine Verdict if theyre a dummy. Rain of Blades and Safe Passage are also good against the inevitable alpha.

Also AVR sucked because 50% of the cards were unplayable, the removal was bad, and a handful of rares were basically win-buttons.

E: not double posting.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 17, 2012

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

JAMOOOL posted:

Essentially this is why people hated AVR draft right? "I can't beat a turn 4 Druid's Familiar" - I GUESS YOU JUST DIDNT DRAFT CORRECTLY THEN!

It's a little bit different. In AVR, even though you had plenty of answers, a lot of them were were either unreliable, inefficient, or miracles, even for something as simple as an evasionless 4/4 (2/2):

Answers on the following turn include:
Geist Snatch (on the play only, because you'd have 3 mana otherwise)
Death Wind, costing you your entire turn 3 or turn 5 depending when you play it.
Bone Splinters, 2-for-1ing yourself
2 Pillars of Flame, 2-for-1ing yourself
2 Righteous Blows (if he attacked or blocked), 2-for-1ing yourself
Miracle Banishing Stroke
Miracle Terminus
Miracle Vanishment
Miracle Thunderous Wrath

The efficient answers are:
Bounce effects (Into the Void, Peel from Reality, Mist Raven)
Fighting with a Flowering Lumberknot (on the play only).

Generic large dudes were/are really hard to deal with in AVR, just because there's so little in the way of destroy effects. You pretty much have to sacrifice an entire turn to deal with Druid's Familiar permanently, unless you have Bone Splinters or a Miracle, and that's kind of a tall order. AVR was frustratingly removal-light, and while m13 isn't perfect, it is a whole lot better.

Niton fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 2, 2013

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
Another Rules Question:

Say my opponent and me both have an Arbor Elf in play, and these are the only non-land permanents on the battlefield. My opponent casts Oblivion Ring and I respond to that by casting Unsummon on my Arbor Elf. Does my opponent have exile his own creature with the Oblivion Ring? Is there a sequence of play to make this happen or not happen?

edit: thanks

torsoboy fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 17, 2012

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

torsoboy posted:

Another Rules Question:

Say my opponent and me both have an Arbor Elf in play, and these are the only non-land permanents on the battlefield. My opponent casts Oblivion Ring and I respond to that by casting Unsummon on my Arbor Elf. Does my opponent have exile his own creature with the Oblivion Ring? Is there a sequence of play to make this happen or not happen?

If you unsummon your elf while oblivion ring is on the stack, then he has to o-ring his own guy.
If you wait until oblivion ring is in play and the ETB trigger is on the stack (ie. he has chosen your guy) then unsummoning the elf simply makes the o-ring do nothing.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Jet Set Jettison posted:

double double post good job. Also chill out.

Pre combat downpour would have helped. Its my understanding that the UW archetype is all about stalling until you get to whatever wins (various Serra Creatures, big bad blue-ys, etc), so lots of hatchlings and fog banks would have also helped. As for removal yeah everything you mentioned. Also divine Verdict if theyre a dummy. Rain of Blades and Safe Passage are also good against the inevitable alpha.

Also AVR sucked because 50% of the cards were unplayable, the removal was bad, and a handful of rares were basically win-buttons.

E: not double posting.

Those cards can maybe buy you half a turn, maybe. Krenko is just one of those "answer it now or you lose" cards, even without Arms Dealer. It's not like Captain of the Watch where it's like, okay, they got 9 power in creatures there, but you can still outbuild them...once Krenko's gone off twice, you're pretty much done. Rain of Blades doesn't even really help much because they'll just activate Krenko in response, so essentially you just stall them a turn.

Niton posted:

It's a little bit different. In AVR, even though you had plenty of answers, a lot of them were were either unreliable, inefficient, or miracles, even for something as simple as an evasionless 4/4 (2/2):

Exactly. The point is that saying something like "oh so U/W can take care of it, you just lost because you didn't draft any" is a dumb statement. Outside of one enchantment and a counterspell there are no answers at common. Just because there's a card out there that can stop it doesn't make it not degenerate; same with AVR, where there were answers to a lot of the degenerate stuff but they were usually in a bad color or required a lot of card disadvantage or extra work. Some cards, like Ulvenwald Tracker or Champion of Lambholt had a few more answers, but pretty much required you to draw them immediately.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It seems a bit futile to complain about certain rares being good.

You most likely would have lost just as much to Elderscale Wurm, Nefarox, Odric or one of the other good rare creatures.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Not really complaining. Just saying, whoa, that's a tough combo to deal with.

I feel like Elderscale and Nefarox are balanced a bit more because they cost so much. It can be difficult to hit 6/7 mana consistantly in Limited. This is more like Moonsilver Spear (maybe AVR's best Limited rare) since it has that "answer me or lose" vibe, and at least with the Spear you can force them to waste a few turns spending mana.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Krenkos pretty good. I havent drafted the set yet but playing against The boss was certainly difficult. The good news was I had a blood reckoning.

I got a Nefarox in sealed and had no luck with him. Everyone had so many deathtouching reachers :(

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Yeah. As far as busted Limited rares go, I'd say these are the truly busted ones:

Krenko, Mob Boss
Sands of Delirium
Elderscale Wurm (M)
Sublime Archangel (M)
Thundermaw Hellkite (M)
Jace, Memory Adept (M)
Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis
Garruk, Primal Hunter (M)
Predatory Rampage
Staff of Nin
Primordial Hydra (M)
Thragtusk

Only Krenko, Sands, Archangel, and Jace really have the "answer me now, or die" feeling (Garruk kind of does too). Overall, a lot less than AVR, which is nice.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

Uhhh, define "many".

common
Encrust, Essence Scatter, Pacifism, Unsummon. Divine Verdict, Faerie Invaders if he's dumb enough to attack with it (this may never happen).

uncommon
Courtly Provocateur (and force him to block, when he's summoning sick), Oblivion Ring, Rain of Blades, Rewind, Switcheroo

rare
Clone, Planar Cleansing, Void Stalker

quote:

I'm glad though that you're apparently such a great drafter that will always have answers to stuff like that :)

Yes, I will consider if my deck can deal with my opponents' cards, and will intentionally avoid drafting a combination of colours that are unable to interact with their bombs unless I can do something ridiculous myself. My last UW deck had at least 5 of the cards listed because I read signals showing me that the cards were available, and valued them highly so that I could deal with my opponents' cards.

What I did not do, is come into the thread crying "OMG THESE CARDS ARE BROKEN WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO???????????" and then get all weepy when people told me what I'm supossed to do.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Okay, out of those commons, only one actually deals with it (Encrust). The rest are not actually answers at all! Out of the uncommons, same deal. Really just Switcharoo and O-Ring. Sure there are counterspells but you should know as well as any that they are in fact, a bad solution since you're essentially holding up your own development. Nobody wants to maindeck Rewind. Or Courtly Provocateur, for that matter (which is hardly a solution since you have one turn to use it, plus you need a 3-power creature on turn 2 or 3).

For the record, I had about 5 of those cards too (Pacifism, Rain of Blades, Provocateur to board in, Essence Scatter, and O-Ring). But, as I mentioned, they are not actually solutions, so I lost. Neat!

You do have a strange way of interpreting my posts though. I'm not really complaining or getting weepy; just calling you out for responding in a dickish manner, which you continue to do.

JAMOOOL fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 17, 2012

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Courtly Provocateur is a really good card. Just so you know.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

My deck was mostly flyers and clogged at the 3-spot so IMO it wasn't really worth playing. It definitely has its place (for example, in conjuction with lots of exalted, or fatties in general), but not my deck.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

JAMOOOL posted:

Okay, out of those commons, only one actually deals with it (Encrust). The rest are not actually answers at all! Out of the uncommons, same deal. Really just Switcharoo and O-Ring. Sure there are counterspells but you should know as well as any that they are in fact, a bad solution since you're essentially holding up your own development. Nobody wants to maindeck Rewind. Or Courtly Provocateur, for that matter (which is hardly a solution since you have one turn to use it, plus you need a 3-power creature on turn 2 or 3).

For the record, I had about 5 of those cards too (Pacifism, Rain of Blades, Provocateur to board in, Essence Scatter, and O-Ring). But, as I mentioned, they are not actually solutions, so I lost. Neat!

You do have a strange way of interpreting my posts though. I'm not really complaining or getting weepy; just calling you out for responding in a dickish manner, which you continue to do.

Whoops, didn't know counterspells were bad. I guess I'll have to stop drafting w/u decks that actually win matches.

Also, you have a strange definition of busted.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

Okay, out of those commons, only one actually deals with it (Encrust). The rest are not actually answers at all! Out of the uncommons, same deal. Really just Switcharoo and O-Ring. Sure there are counterspells but you should know as well as any that they are in fact, a bad solution since you're essentially holding up your own development. Nobody wants to maindeck Rewind.

Those cards are all intended to slow down my opponent's development while I play my own cards and attempt to win the game. While my opponent is playing and replaying his Krenko, I would be attacking him with my flying creatures or low cost creatures I sided in to try to overwhelm him before Krenko came online.

Yes, counterspells. Unless I'm playing a very strange build, I nearly always maindeck up to 2 Essence Scatters because 99% of the time they will be useful against my opponent. Also, the existence of Faerie Invaders mitigates the "skip your turn" drawback since you can still play it endstep.

Nobody wants to maindeck Rewind, but that is why sideboards exist. If my opponent has a bomb spell that I can't deal with once it has resolved, then I will make sure that I have spells available that can deal with them before that happens. When my options against a specific card are:

A) Play a card that is suboptimal against a broad field but good against them
or
B) Lose horrifically without ever having a chance of defeating it, and then go sobbing about it on an internet forum

I will choose A every time. Are you the type of person that says "FOG IS TERRIBLE I'D NEVER BRING IT IN" even against an Overrun-like? If so, you deserve to lose for playing in such a narrow-minded fashion.

JAMOOOL posted:

My deck was mostly flyers and clogged at the 3-spot so IMO it wasn't really worth playing. It definitely has its place (for example, in conjuction with lots of exalted, or fatties in general), but not my deck.
This is amazingly wrong. I've had great success with Provocateur in a deck where my biggest creatures were a 0/4 and a 3/3.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

So...your U/W decks win matches because...you run counterspells? Huh?

Bad solution != bad card. And most counterspells ARE bad in Limited. Especially when you're playing against red, it's pretty crucial to not skip playing creatures because you may have to counter a bomb. Do you skip playing a 4-drop because you may need to counter a bomb on turn 4?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Cube is funny because the packs have so many playables for pretty much every deck, so you can look at all the, say, RDW cards coming around to you 12-15th pick, and go "welp, I guess nobody's playing red." In a normal draft you would be right, but here you are wrong and you will play against a pretty good burn deck in the finals.

(And then, if you are me, you will drop a Sword of Body and Mind and race him after he casts Sulfuric Vortex :getin:)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
How many non-rare bombs do red have?

If I'm drafting blue I'll always pick up at least one essence scatter and main deck it.

No offense jamoool but I think your card evaluations and/or your drafting strategy is off.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Nobody wants to maindeck Rewind, but that is why sideboards exist. If my opponent has a bomb spell that I can't deal with once it has resolved, then I will make sure that I have spells available that can deal with them before that happens. When my options against a specific card are:

A) Play a card that is suboptimal against a broad field but good against them
or
B) Lose horrifically without ever having a chance of defeating it, and then go sobbing about it on an internet forum

I will choose A every time. Are you the type of person that says "FOG IS TERRIBLE I'D NEVER BRING IT IN" even against an Overrun-like? If so, you deserve to lose for playing in such a narrow-minded fashion.

Rewind isn't really "good" vs. Krenko though. If I had drafted one, yes, I'd have brought it in, but it's basically a bad solution to a card that must be answered, so I don't know why you think I'd be so 'inflexible'. You only get to draft 42 cards, you know. In general you can pick up some decent general solutions but again Krenko doesn't have much of an answer besides A) Encrust/O-Ring, B) holding your development to counter it (if it's in his opening hand, it comes out before Faerie Invaders can use that mana, btw), or C) all the bad answers you mentioned, which may help if you can manage to outrace a fast red deck (and certainly not if they have Arms Dealer out).

Anyway I'm not sure why I'm responding to such a condescending post, I didn't know we weren't allowed to post bad beat stories on this thread!

MrBling posted:

If I'm drafting blue I'll always pick up at least one essence scatter and main deck it.

No offense jamoool but I think your card evaluations and/or your drafting strategy is off.

I do this too. I do think Essence Scatter is pretty good...Rewind much less so. I'm just saying that I don't consider it an "answer" like Searing Spear, as it's generally bad strategy to hold back to counter something. If I'm leaving mana open to counter something on turn 4, I'm going to counter any creature he plays that may be a threat, not just the bomb (which could be on the bottom of his deck for all I know)

Lone Goat posted:

This is amazingly wrong. I've had great success with Provocateur in a deck where my biggest creatures were a 0/4 and a 3/3.

I played it during both releases and found it to be very underwhelming, and not nearly as good as it looked. Being a 1/1 really makes it fragile and most of the time I couldn't get a good use out of it because I spent a turn playing a 1/1 creature so my opponent wasn't exactly holding back. I can definitely see it being good in a long match but that simply wasn't the deck I was building.

JAMOOOL fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 17, 2012

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
Jamool, maybe you should stop posting about how right you are all the time, and consider how right everyone else when they reply to the things you are complaining/whining about? There are a lot of experienced players trying to qualify their ideas, and you sort of get :qq: and dismissive as to the quality of the suggestions.

Like, if you just want to cry about every bad beat & injustice the game has enacted upon you in the Collectable Card Game, there are a billion other Internet Forums for you do that in. Everyone else here is sort of focused on, you know, getting better.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Also, Krenko in itself isn't really that hard to beat. I mean, you can race it with fliers and things like safe passage and sleep can let you set up alpha strikes.

Your actual problem was the arms dealer, since he is a legitimately good guy.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

Rewind isn't really "good" vs. Krenko though. If I had drafted one, yes, I'd have brought it in, but it's basically a bad solution to a card that must be answered, so I don't know why you think I'd be so 'inflexible'. You only get to draft 42 cards, you know. In general you can pick up some decent general solutions but again Krenko doesn't have much of an answer besides A) Encrust/O-Ring, B) holding your development to counter it (if it's in his opening hand, it comes out before Faerie Invaders can use that mana, btw), or C) all the bad answers you mentioned, which may help if you can manage to outrace a fast red deck (and certainly not if they have Arms Dealer out).

I was not aware you "only" have 42 cards to draft, thanks for letting me know.

But keep in mind your maindeck will, on average, play 23 of those cards and that means that the other 19 can comprise options that will not be useful against all decks, but perhaps some. You can't play Magic "on rails", different decks will require different strategies/decision trees. Not every game will go perfectly but if you deny yourself options before the game even starts then you'll probably get smashed.

I'm looking at the last UW draft I did, and here are sideboard options I took in different matches:

Took out creatures, brought in 2 Negates.
Took out 2 drops, brought in a 6 and 7 drop.
Took out Divine Verdicts, brought in Hydrosurge and Safe Passage.
Sideboarded up to 49 cards (would have been more but I didn't have enough sleeves).

quote:

Anyway I'm not sure why I'm responding to such a condescending post, I didn't know we weren't allowed to post bad beat stories on this thread!

If you steadfastly refuse to listen to strategy then yes we are going to treat you like an idiot until you either Get It or gently caress Off.

When was the last time anyone ever said "Yes! I would love to hear about the time that you lost to what you perceived as variance, but was in fact your own incompetence!"? Was it never? It was probably never.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm pretty sure JAMOOOL doesn't even play Magic - just posts terribly about it.

e: For content, I won my first MTGO cube draft last night with a reanimator deck. Was a good feeling.

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
Yeah, entertaining bad beat stories are fine. Or being objective about why you're getting bad results, and your insights as to why it's variance vs. decisions made in construction or gameplay.

Griping, then griping about people telling you how to accommodate for said variances or concerns about powerlevel is MTGSalvation level whining. As is complaining about people calling you out for said whining.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Call Me Abey posted:

Jamool, maybe you should stop posting about how right you are all the time, and consider how right everyone else when they reply to the things you are complaining/whining about? There are a lot of experienced players trying to qualify their ideas, and you sort of get :qq: and dismissive as to the quality of the suggestions.

Like, if you just want to cry about every bad beat & injustice the game has enacted upon you in the Collectable Card Game, there are a billion other Internet Forums for you do that in. Everyone else here is sort of focused on, you know, getting better.

Hmmm. Considering that this thread had like a dozen pages complaining about the bombs in Avacyn Restored, I'm not sure why I'm being singled out here (unless people are still mad about the BoP thing). What I'm being irritated by is that some people are not even bothering to qualify their ideas. Also I'm not sure why I'm not allowed to qualify my own statements to provoke a discussion without people saying "stop your QQ" because I'm pointing out that when someone's blowing up all your creatures with a Krenko + Arms Dealer, maybe a Pacifism isn't going to help you. I'm all for using this thread to get better but if people are being dickish for no good reason, is it really a bad thing to call them out?

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

JAMOOOL posted:

Hmmm. Considering that this thread had like a dozen pages complaining about the bombs in Avacyn Restored, I'm not sure why I'm being singled out here (unless people are still mad about the BoP thing). What I'm being irritated by is that some people are not even bothering to qualify their ideas. Also I'm not sure why I'm not allowed to qualify my own statements to provoke a discussion without people saying "stop your QQ" because I'm pointing out that when someone's blowing up all your creatures with a Krenko + Arms Dealer, maybe a Pacifism isn't going to help you. I'm all for using this thread to get better but if people are being dickish for no good reason, is it really a bad thing to call them out?

Everyone has been qualifying their ideas just fine, and you've been given ample opportunity to qualify your own. What you need to understand is that when multiple people give you tons of examples proving that something you said was categorically incorrect, people don't want to listen to you complain about a non-existent bias against you in the thread.

As someone who is pretty bad myself, I have to say you sound like you're really terrible at Magic.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Avacyn Restored was a completely different format. It had some incredibly hard to answer cards, not just bomb rares and quality removal was scarce.

M13 has plenty of removal and I would suggest that if you're not seeing any of it you are probably in the wrong colour(s) and should consider how your draft is going.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

If you steadfastly refuse to listen to strategy then yes we are going to treat you like an idiot until you either Get It or gently caress Off.

When was the last time anyone ever said "Yes! I would love to hear about the time that you lost to what you perceived as variance, but was in fact your own incompetence!"? Was it never? It was probably never.

Again, this is kind of a rose-colored view of the way drafts actually work. Yes I am aware of the value of drafting cards like Rewind for the sideboard. I am also aware that good sideboard cards sometimes don't present themselves in your color after you pick the maindeckable cards. I had sideboard cards - hell I sideboarded in some of the very cards you mentioned, and even drew them, only to find out that they actually didn't help a bit! Also, I'm glad you chalked up my loss to my incompetence for refusing to draft cards that I never even had an opportunity to pick or are in fact not solutions for the problem at hand (and since you're not even bothering to defend yourself in this regard, I will assume you've given up).

All I said was that, "holy cow, Krenko + Arms Dealer is nasty and I'm not sure how to deal with it" and you've been barking like a rabid dog ever since.

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
Also, to avoid full meta-commentary: After having played quite a few MTGO Cube v2's, I feel like I don't care for it as much as the first. There seems to be too much incentive to running gambits on decktypes, vs. trying to build a deck with the best options presented.

To elaborate - Ramp, 5cControl, and The Red Deck continue to be incredibly strong & difficult to surmount archetypes, but only when no other player is trying to move in on the deck (or at least across wheel). Because of this, you often see two bad decks of the aforementioned archetypes, but one of the three not moved in on as strong. This might be due to a more intelligent metagame, but I personally feel it has more to do with the lack of viability of other creature based strategies.

The changes to Black's creature selection don't really grant a Black deck that focuses on low creature count to flourish - almost all of the creatures introduced are incredibly low pick. Even if you get all of them, there's little reward to their powerlevel vs other offerings in other colors.

Green had a bunch of low-end bad stuff switched out for other low-end lackluster stuff. While Ramp and Fixing got someone depowered, it still remains the key strength of the color. You can't really use the dorks in Green for anything unless they give you mana or a card. I like the proliferation of the G/W/x Planeswalker deck, since it's a nice way to move into the Ramp deck without forcing yourself to be all in, but there doesn't seem to be any other way to play the color with the revision other than the ways mentioned.

I'll give an exception in that the Green/Black deck is remarkably consistent as a 2/1 deck, but it's strength seems to be directly tied to how creature based the opponent's strategy is.

Blue got more ridiculous, but at least that ridiculousness can be shared. Four players can be on it for cores and splashes without getting too shallow. I sort of wish that some of the card quality mechanisms were replaced with either a Fairies or Merfolk subtheme, just to grant more strength to creature strategies.

White is good for All of the Wraths, Planeswalkers, and Armageddon. I personally love going for the White Weenie/X deck when it's backed by Geddons or Swords, but there are just so many goddamn wrath effects to remove it's core strength. The R/W flickerdeck is my favorite deck to watch operate, but it's such a rarity to get going due to the lack of power on the core cards no one else wants, and the high pick order of core cards that anyone can play.

Red is still the LSV special, with a few particular cards being all-stars for the multi-color control decks. No idea how this could be corrected. Has anyone seen the Wildfire deck be drafted as a consistant, effective strategy?

It's still a fun, good format, and an accessible cube - but it also feels a little Type II in terms of how the matches playout each time. Good players can usually 2-1 with just about anything they pick up responsibly, but it seems like the 3-0 tends to be the player who chooses the right gambit.

Does this sound right to anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

All I said was that, "holy cow, Krenko + Arms Dealer is nasty and I'm not sure how to deal with it" and you've been barking like a rabid dog ever since.

No you idiot. You literally asked how do you beat Krenko Armsdealer combo, then we gave you tons of ideas and then you started to :reddit: and we dont understand why. But continue to poo poo up every thread with "green flyers mana combat abilities etc."

But about the cube Ive had some luck with the black as a splash color. WUb worked really well in draft for me, and won me the first round of a 4-3-2-2.