Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phreaky
Nov 4, 2009

What I find more disturbing than a guy saying he's not going to buy a game is the set of comments by people who instantly project their own insecurities and assume the individual is white, male, and ironically, a bigot.

The Milkman posted:

You have to unplug the controller to get full KB+M support. It's silly.

I heard the game was a system tester too but I can max everything out on it no sweat @ 1080p with my 6870 OC. Makes me wonder about the display set ups people must have to need 3, 4, 500 dollar cards to drive them as this only cost $150 and crushes everything I throw at it.

It was a system tester 2 years ago when it came out. Graphics haven't exactly progressed since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

phreaky posted:

It was a system tester 2 years ago when it came out. Graphics haven't exactly progressed since then.

I thought it was newer than that. Welp, bye

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Also most of the people running $3-500 worth of graphics cards are the computer equivalent of ceramic wire stand audiophiles or crazy flight sim fans who use like five monitors.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

The Milkman posted:

You have to unplug the controller to get full KB+M support. It's silly.

I heard the game was a system tester too but I can max everything out on it no sweat @ 1080p with my 6870 OC. Makes me wonder about the display set ups people must have to need 3, 4, 500 dollar cards to drive them as this only cost $150 and crushes everything I throw at it.

Got a 6870 too, but I guess it must be the Phenom II that might be starting to bottleneck me? Or the DDR2 RAM, drat I need to build a new PC eventutally.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
So they're also charging 60€ for Warfighter. Yeah, gently caress them.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Hahah Battlefield 4 already? Has there been any info on it yet? Time period? I'd rather them do a BF 2142 remake with the new engine than release a whole new game.

Sad to see BF going the CoD route, at least BC2 was fun.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The existence of Battlefield 4 doesn't do anything to take away from the fact that Battlefield 3 is still probably the best FPS currently on the market so I'm not really worried.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

I'm genuinely curious why they did it. BC2 -> BF3 was an engine update with a lot more stuff in the game and larger maps.

What the hell is BF4 going to have over BF3 outside of different maps, which isn't even a plus?

Well, I know why they did it, but why? Hopefully people will stick to 3 like apparently a lot of people did with MW2.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Balobam posted:

I'm genuinely curious why they did it. BC2 -> BF3 was an engine update with a lot more stuff in the game and larger maps.

What the hell is BF4 going to have over BF3 outside of different maps, which isn't even a plus?

Well, I know why they did it, but why? Hopefully people will stick to 3 like apparently a lot of people did with MW2.

Future setting? A more efficient engine that leads to even larger maps, better destruction, and higher player counts?

I'm excited and besides, it won't be coming out until 2014 anyway.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Balobam posted:

Well if it doesn't take place in the future it'll have gently caress all. If it does take place in the future, it'll be mega rad.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Vertigus posted:

Well if it doesn't take place in the future it'll have gently caress all. If it does take place in the future, it'll be mega rad.

Calling it: 256 vs. 256 player Titan battles :flashfap:

Actually, depending on the success of Planetside 2, I think EA/DICE will definitely be moving into the F2P MMOFPS platform.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Vertigus posted:

I... I didn't even think of that possibility. That would be amazing.

Better destruction would also be great, maybe large buildings that are entirely destructible, instead of just certain parts of them.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

fookolt posted:

Calling it: 256 vs. 256 player Titan battles :flashfap:

Actually, depending on the success of Planetside 2, I think EA/DICE will definitely be moving into the F2P MMOFPS platform.

I know what Titan you're thinking of but this is the one I want in a large scale battle:

The Dawn of War series looks like it might be headed in the Epic scale away from small squad tactics so I'd kill for a shooter in the same way.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Evek posted:

I know what Titan you're thinking of but this is the one I want in a large scale battle:

The Dawn of War series looks like it might be headed in the Epic scale away from small squad tactics so I'd kill for a shooter in the same way.

Well, DICE did say that even the BF3 engine supports up to 128 players and hopefully if Planetside 2 is a success (I would be very surprised if it wasn't), we're going to see all kinds of large scale MMOFPS type games.

You know what I would really love to see? Battletech a la Mechwarrior: Living Legends.

That would be incredible.

And yeah! Warhammer would possibly be a really cool franchise to use considering there are all those races and factions.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

fookolt posted:

Well, DICE did say that even the BF3 engine supports up to 128 players and hopefully if ...
Stop right there; consoles.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Batham posted:

2014 is getting into next-gen console territory. Since they'll likely have more than a half GB of total memory (that's system and video combined), they might be able to handle a few more players.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Batham posted:

PC's already got 64 player multiplayer unlike the consoles and as Male Man mentioned, we'll be getting new consoles in 2014.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Male Man posted:

2014 is getting into next-gen console territory. Since they'll likely have more than a half GB of total memory (that's system and video combined), they might be able to handle a few more players.

I believe they said the hardware of the current generation would be fine for 128 players but Microsoft has strict bandwidth limits or something.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Hell, didn't the PS3 have a game that had 128 players or something? MAG I think?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

mcvey posted:

I believe they said the hardware of the current generation would be fine for 128 players but Microsoft has strict bandwidth limits or something.

There's also the issue of dedicated servers. For some reason, MS and Sony hate the concept of people looking through a server list to find a server a low ping server with a map they want to play.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So what are the chances Battlefield 4 is a throwback and a sequel to Battlefield 1942, with more arcadey gameplay and less emphasis on infantry combat? (don't answer this I already know the answer :smith:)

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Male Man posted:

fookolt posted:

PC's already got 64 player multiplayer unlike the consoles and as Male Man mentioned, we'll be getting new consoles in 2014.

As said above, it's not the hardware that's the problem, it's the limit that both Sony and Microsoft impose on bandwidth.

For the people who bring up MAG as an example; keep in mind that MAG was possible because there wasn't anywhere near as much going on at a single moment in MAG, as there is in Battlefield 3.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Batham posted:

As said above, it's not the hardware that's the problem, it's the limit that both Sony and Microsoft impose on bandwidth.

That's still covered by the new consoles limiting player counts due to bandwidth concerns.

Although if Battlefield becomes essentially an MMO in its own right, I'm sure that Microsoft and Sony won't care so much about bandwidth.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Picked up From Dust on the Steam Sale and I don't know how I feel about it. It's like a kid friendly version of Populous or something. It has insane screen tearing and no vsync option which is really bizarre, you can tell a minimal effort went into the port in general. Does the gameplay ever get more advanced or is it mostly like the later tutorial stuff?

quote:

So what are the chances Battlefield 4 is a throwback and a sequel to Battlefield 1942, with more arcadey gameplay and less emphasis on infantry combat? (don't answer this I already know the answer )

The faux mil-sim FPS stuff is still insanely popular, particularly on the consoles :(

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I seriously cannot believe that Battlefield 4 is a thing already. That is stunning to me.

Really? Even after they copied COD elite?
EA are seriously determined to take 'worst publisher' back off activision. Who am I kidding, they did this when they shut down multiplayer servers for games less than a year old.

I'm not going to boycott Battlefield 4 or anything silly but B3 was a big disappointment for me even if you ignore the fact it was broken for the first 6 months. They will have to do a lot to get me interested in the series again.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 18, 2012

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Is Crysis 2 just broken in DX11 mode on AMD Radeon cards? I tried clean installing the newest beta drivers on my HD7850/2500K rig and on my HD6850/i3-2120 rig and I get the same result: black border around the screen with terrible performance. If I disable the DX11 features and restart the game it works just fine.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

B3 was a big disappointment for me even if you ignore the fact it was broken for the first 6 months. They will have to do a lot to get me interested in the series again.

Why was B3 a disappointment to you? I'm curious because it seems like a lot of people have this opinion about it.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

spasticColon posted:

Is Crysis 2 just broken in DX11 mode on AMD Radeon cards? I tried clean installing the newest beta drivers on my HD7850/2500K rig and on my HD6850/i3-2120 rig and I get the same result: black border around the screen with terrible performance. If I disable the DX11 features and restart the game it works just fine.

That happened to me with Crysis, but I changed cards between playing 1 and 2. When I played 1 I would go to CCC and changed something to do with screen scaling.

Try playing it in fullscreen windowed borderless which will get rid of the border, might fix the performance issues if that's why they're arising.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

So what are the chances Battlefield 4 is a throwback and a sequel to Battlefield 1942, with more arcadey gameplay and less emphasis on infantry combat? (don't answer this I already know the answer :smith:)

That's what Battlefield 1943 was and it was actually mildly popular on consoles, but EA decided that it wasn't worth porting to PC.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Balobam posted:

That happened to me with Crysis, but I changed cards between playing 1 and 2. When I played 1 I would go to CCC and changed something to do with screen scaling.

Try playing it in fullscreen windowed borderless which will get rid of the border, might fix the performance issues if that's why they're arising.

It's doing the same thing with Crysis Warhead and I set the scaling options correctly in CCC and all my other games work just fine but Crysis Warhead and Crysis 2 are having this black borders around the screen problem on both my HDTV and computer monitor. Is it because I'm using HDMI input?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

CerebralDonut posted:

Why was B3 a disappointment to you? I'm curious because it seems like a lot of people have this opinion about it.

This wasn't directed at me but I didn't care for the Conquest map design in BF3. You have huge, wide open areas and all of the cap points are concentrated or you have very narrow chokes to reach them. The level of cheating prevalence is pretty disturbing too. They've totally failed to address it despite repeated promises to go back to the netcode and fix things up (they gave way too much control to the client). The lack of squad level VoIP makes pubbing a nightmare and it feels like the general direction of the franchise will move toward CoD territory after the huge rush of CoD fans who bought into BF3 based on Metro.

I actually revisited BF1942 a few years ago for kicks and its kinda sad how far the scope has regressed. We went from some modest effort at war theater representation (Aircraft carriers, subs, boats, fighters, bombers, tanks, jeeps, etc) to having 3-4 tanks, 2 jets and maybe a transport chopper on most maps. I understand infantry level combat is more visceral and popular these days and I love the new engines, particularly the fixed FPS mechanics but it feels more and more watered down as time goes on.

Don't me wrong, it's still way ahead of competing franchises. It does feel EA chasing the mass market is starting to really affect the core strengths of Battlefield that made it unique and popular.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 18, 2012

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The Gunslinger posted:

The level of cheating prevalence is pretty disturbing too. They've totally failed to address it despite repeated promises to go back to the netcode and fix things up (they gave way too much control to the client).
Hah, and they still use Punkbuster too don't they? http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=support-bf3.php Check out that website design, frames and layout straight from 1998! It really instills confidence in the product itself. I remember complaining about Punkbuster like 7 years ago (it was the only software I tried to use that could consistently crash my system), I'm amazed it's still around and utilized.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah they still use it but I can't even blame PB itself, they gave the client software a ridiculous level of control and access in BF3. I'm at work so I can't link them but Youtube some of the multihacks to get an idea of the absurdity that can be achieved. Most of the cheaters don't even get banned due to some weird interaction between BF3 and the Origin client software, they just get their scores reset (oh no!).

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

spasticColon posted:

It's doing the same thing with Crysis Warhead and I set the scaling options correctly in CCC and all my other games work just fine but Crysis Warhead and Crysis 2 are having this black borders around the screen problem on both my HDTV and computer monitor. Is it because I'm using HDMI input?

It could well be, I had that blackborder problem in Crysis and I couldn't even play it at my native resolution because scaling wouldn't get rid of the border. Had to play the game at the 1600xsomething option.

That might help? Obviously you'll be missing out on all those pixels, but if it gets it working it's worth it.

I have a feeling it's an AMD thing, because my nvidia card works them just fine but my 5500 would keep throwing up the inch thick black borders.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

The Gunslinger posted:

This wasn't directed at me but I didn't care for the Conquest map design in BF3. You have huge, wide open areas and all of the cap points are concentrated or you have very narrow chokes to reach them. The level of cheating prevalence is pretty disturbing too. They've totally failed to address it despite repeated promises to go back to the netcode and fix things up (they gave way too much control to the client). The lack of squad level VoIP makes pubbing a nightmare and it feels like the general direction of the franchise will move toward CoD territory after the huge rush of CoD fans who bought into BF3 based on Metro.

I actually revisited BF1942 a few years ago for kicks and its kinda sad how far the scope has regressed. We went from some modest effort at war theater representation (Aircraft carriers, subs, boats, fighters, bombers, tanks, jeeps, etc) to having 3-4 tanks, 2 jets and maybe a transport chopper on most maps. I understand infantry level combat is more visceral and popular these days and I love the new engines, particularly the fixed FPS mechanics but it feels more and more watered down as time goes on.

Don't me wrong, it's still way ahead of competing franchises. It does feel EA chasing the mass market is starting to really affect the core strengths of Battlefield that made it unique and popular.

This is spot on. Besides all of those things, the fact that they waaaay overplayed the 'environment destruction' was a huge downer. Even the beta had a lot more promise, but they just completely cut most of what was there.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I have lost pretty much all of faith in Dice as a developer. BC2 even though it was a straight console port had the "it" feeling to it. I kept on coming back to it since it was so fun. There are so many things wrong with BF3, I bought the close quarters but its boring now after 20 hours or so. Nothing makes me want to get back into the game and slog through awful netcode and punkbuster inspired microstuttering.

I am starting to wonder if I am just tired of MP FPS, but then again I am looking forward to Planetside somewhat. I just want something that is updated on the regular mostly. The most irritating thing about BF3 is that Dice has Origin, they would update every week if they wanted but they have released like 3 patches and its been out 9 months or so?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I dunno, I kinda liked the fact that they made Close Quarters and Armored whatever into seperate packs. I took one look at Close Quarters and knew that I didn't really want it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I feel the same way about Armored Kill because they won't patch the vehicles any more and all of the maps will be huge spaces with 5 flags within 200 yards of each other.

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Honestly, I still play BF3, but I largely treat the game as a joke, a mindless diversion. People need to stop taking that game so seriously because EA will not allow it to be something that meaningfully lasts. Hey, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive comes out in a few weeks! Let's all play that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I'm not taking it seriously at all and its still not fun. Oh well roll on PS2!!

• Locked thread