Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

republic posted:

I initially ignored it and left it alone because I assumed I needed some additional equipment to reach it. I came back after icing a few guardians and picking up the Grapple Claw but I'm still coming up empty. Is there a trick to falling down the trap door and hanging on the opposite wall, or is there something else here that I'm missing?

That's just a generic Gold chest, but you don't need anything to reach it, although I think the Hermes boots help. You get full air control if you hop straight up on the spot before falling, so...

Stand on trap door
Hop quickly
Fall through door
Hold left while falling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

Yeah, that's exactly what it required! I was completely underestimating the power of the neutral jump. :downs:

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
OK, I am just completely lost.

I've beat 3 bosses, Sakit, Ellmac and whatever the worms were in the Gate of Guidance. I've been to every area I could get to and even woke up Mulbruk. I've tried exploring the Graveyard of the Giants and the Temple of the Moon but I can't seem to progress much in either and I have found no new items to help me. I'd explore the Gate of Guidance's mirror world but I can't reach it as the ladder won't pop out of the wall.

The Chamber of Extinction was a bitch, I don't think I found much in there but I'm unsure because its pitch black and I can't do anything about it (I have no flares btw).

I solved a few things in the Spring in the Sky but nothing. I got the water flowing pretty much everywhere but after putting the weight on a pedestal that did nothing, I got stumped. I think it activates a boss battle but I can't find the Anhk.

I've explored every area I've found 3 times with no luck. I think I need a new item to continue on, maybe the Claws? But I just can't figure it out...

Please help. I desperately need it. :(

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress you, water area mid boss. gently caress you for being armored and pretty much immune to all my weapons because I can only hit your head which is not possible to reach with the whip even after a jump from high ground.

I got a healing fairy and kicked his rear end anyway, brute force style :black101:

e: this is where everyone tells me stop being a meathead and do something like hit his ankles or something I haven't (and now don't need to) figure out. Unless there's more of him OH GOD I'd rather fight ten minecart battles. In a row.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Vinchenz posted:

Please help. I desperately need it. :(

I'd suggest spending some time checking the walls in the Inferno cavern for help with braving the Extinction area.

Also La-Mulana has foiled me again. Day 2 at being stuck here and still ugh. http://imgur.com/a/5ytAT

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Carver posted:

I'd suggest spending some time checking the walls in the Inferno cavern for help with braving the Extinction area.

Also La-Mulana has foiled me again. Day 2 at being stuck here and still ugh. http://imgur.com/a/5ytAT

I had the same issues so I went and did other things

if you know how to grind, at that point in the game just buy like 5 clips of ammo for the gun and go crazy

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

I take it that the final life jewel is in the chest above the dragon mini-boss? Because that platforming puzzle is the worst :argh:
And is it just me, or is that chest unreachable without that mini-boss?

Vinchenz posted:

OK, I am just completely lost.
If you're in an area that doesn't have the eye-symbol in the background, it's pretty much safe to whack every single wall you come across. More specifically: Try doing this in the Inferno Cavern, in the area with the pushable boxes and fire-salamanders

Carver posted:

Yeah, gently caress that boss. I just shot her to pieces with the handgun. (Thanks to whoever came up with that fortune fairy spot, by the way :))

Exodee fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 18, 2012

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Topside of Temple of Moonlight, in Neptune's Feet, have I cocked this platform up forever?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Control Volume posted:

Oh man. Oh MAN. There's a software combination out there that boosts non-whip weapons and it absolutely trashes bosses like no other when you use the axe, and it's available as soon as you have access to fairies. I wish I had it before I had taken down 5 bosses, but whatever. Read on, interested parties!

You'll need two pieces of software, one of which costs 300 coins. One is in a tent hidden by a breakable wall on the left side of that waterfall area on the surface, called mekuri.exe. The other requires a key fairy in the Spring in the Sky. Once you get that fairy, go up a screen and it'll hover over the shop and make it explode. Then you go inside and buy randc.exe. Combine the two and murder everything with your non-whip weapon of choice. For those having trouble getting the fairy to spawn, the pattern is 4 stars going in a diamond pattern. If you don't get that pattern, quickly leave the screen before the fairy appears, which resets it.
How do I get to the first one after finding it? I can't jump off the ladder.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Topside of Temple of Moonlight, in Neptune's Feet, have I cocked this platform up forever?

What did you do to it? If you stepped on the crumbly one before dropping the larger one onto it, then the answer is "yes"

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

How do I get to the first one after finding it? I can't jump off the ladder.

By jumping from above, we are talking about the spring in the sky shop right?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Underwhelmed posted:

What did you do to it? If you stepped on the crumbly one before dropping the larger one onto it, then the answer is "yes"

By jumping from above, we are talking about the spring in the sky shop right?
No, the other one.

Oh, I need double jump I think.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 18, 2012

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Carver posted:

You should stand on the edges when that happens, you won't get hit. Don't try to avoid stuff from the center of the room.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

No, the other one.

Oh, I need double jump I think.
You can get it without double jump actually. Stand on top of the platform above (after killing the vulture of course) and jump straight up, then steer yourself towards the tent while falling.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Karsh posted:

If you can go to the Chamber of Extinction, get a coin (green) fairy, warp to the grail point, go one screen up and one screen left and whack the four boxes at the top right of that screen. Then walk to the screen on the right, back in, repeat. You'll make hundreds of gold in minutes.

This is great, but is there a way to ensure that you get a Coin Fairy? I just never ever get one :(

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I got in there, then got the Axe and with that combo killed the poo poo out of Ellmac. Get hosed guy.

I've been exploring the Graveyard of Giants and the Gate of Illusion and I can't seem to find anything useful in either.

Edit: Well, I found the illusion map and connected the graveyard to the gate, and found some warp points, but they don't seem to lead anywhere helpful.

Also, I loving hate those ice wizards.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 18, 2012

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

This is great, but is there a way to ensure that you get a Coin Fairy? I just never ever get one :(

An exe combo will do it, but you can't get it until quite a bit later. I don't recall the exact pattern, I think it is a ring within a ring of stars that signals a coin fairy. Just trip the fairy point, and if it isn't the right type, exit the room before they come together and try again.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Underwhelmed posted:

An exe combo will do it, but you can't get it until quite a bit later. I don't recall the exact pattern, I think it is a ring within a ring of stars that signals a coin fairy. Just trip the fairy point, and if it isn't the right type, exit the room before they come together and try again.

Recognizing Fairies:
Healing: Two stars spinning in a circle.
Attack: Two stars spinning in a square.
Key: Four stars spinning in a square.
Item: Four stars spinning, two in a circle, two in a square (Combination of Healing and Attack)

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Recognizing Fairies:
Healing: Two stars spinning in a circle.
Attack: Two stars spinning in a square.
Key: Four stars spinning in a square.
Item: Four stars spinning, two in a circle, two in a square (Combination of Healing and Attack)

This is really helpful, If only I could light the chamber of extinction and actually see the stars.

edit: How do you light it anyway, I broke the seal in the chamber of birth but nothing seemed to happen.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Underwhelmed posted:

One of them spawned right after I posted that. LA MULANA :arghfist::saddowns:

What's the deal with the door puzzle in Endless Corridor? The one with all the infinity symbols on them? I can't get in them or anything.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Antinumeric posted:

edit: How do you light it anyway, I broke the seal in the chamber of birth but nothing seemed to happen.
Look at the "background" one screen above the grail point in the chamber of extinction.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Alright, I gotta say it. This new bullshit to get up to the puzzle for the last life container is... well loving bullshit. I goddamn hate the water physics in the game to start with and now I have to somehow swim upstream, execute a hop out without wasting the double jump, and do it all before the drat geyser dries up or dickhole decides to breathe blue poo poo since his attack patterns are asynchronized?

Someone tell me there is some way to cheese through that...

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SourceElement posted:

At the Tower Grail Point, there were some enemies going both up and down the sides of the screens. Kill those then depress some switches in the two rooms on either side of the grail point. Then just collect the item from the chest which, somehow, makes statues disappear. :iiam:

I'm having no luck with this. Nothing has changed in such a way that I can do what you're describing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Alright, so I beat the Guidance Gate boss (on the first try too!) and Ellmac, now I'm trying to figure out where to go next. The backside door in Guidance Gate opened but I can't reach it :(

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Underwhelmed posted:

Alright, I gotta say it. This new bullshit to get up to the puzzle for the last life container is... well loving bullshit. I goddamn hate the water physics in the game to start with and now I have to somehow swim upstream, execute a hop out without wasting the double jump, and do it all before the drat geyser dries up or dickhole decides to breathe blue poo poo since his attack patterns are asynchronized?

The dragon will always use the water spout exactly once on his first pattern upon entering the room (when he's in the middle of the map). The water spout is aimed for right below where you are standing.

When the water spout comes out, jump once before the spout fills up to get maximum jump height. Once you're in the water, jump once more to get to the top of the spout. Then hold right and jump out of the spout and you should handily make the landing.

Once I had the rhythm down, it was very easy to make attempts until i got the crystal, especially because you can make several attempts before resetting on account of the lamp of time no longer being necessary

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zeether posted:

Alright, so I beat the Guidance Gate boss (on the first try too!) and Ellmac, now I'm trying to figure out where to go next. The backside door in Guidance Gate opened but I can't reach it :(

You get to Guidance Gate's backside area via Moonlight Temple at first. You must solve the "fruit of eden" puzzle in the moonlight temple in order to access it.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Underwhelmed posted:

If you hang around the right side of the screen (and block everything with the Angel Shield) you can just jump right into the mini-boss as it moves to the right and get knocked right up to the top ledge with the correct timing. It'll probably take some attempts to do, but I still found it much easier than trying to use the water spouts.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You get to Guidance Gate's backside area via Moonlight Temple at first. There's a puzzle in the moonlight temple you must solve in order to access it.
Yeah, thing is I can't get anywhere in Moonlight Temple either. I have to go wander around and see what else I can do. I don't think I want to take on the Mausoleum boss right now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zeether posted:

Yeah, thing is I can't get anywhere in Moonlight Temple either. I have to go wander around and see what else I can do. I don't think I want to take on the Mausoleum boss right now.

Well, now that you defeated Ellmac there should be two entrances to the moonlight temple. The backside door that opens when you kill a boss, and the other way in the pyramid. You should be able to solve the necessary puzzle in the moonlight temple right now.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

DolphinCop posted:

The dragon will always use the water spout exactly once on his first pattern upon entering the room (when he's in the middle of the map). The water spout is aimed for right below where you are standing.

When the water spout comes out, jump once before the spout fills up to get maximum jump height. Once you're in the water, jump once more to get to the top of the spout. Then hold right and jump out of the spout and you should handily make the landing.

Once I had the rhythm down, it was very easy to make attempts until i got the crystal, especially because you can make several attempts before resetting on account of the lamp of time no longer being necessary

Yeah gently caress that, I found if you jump at him as he approaches, start pushing to the right before you hit the double jump and then collide with him you pop right up everytime. The geyser is stupid

After that, I went down and shot his brains out. Felt good.

fake ed: Mman has the right idea.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

FPzero posted:

I'm having no luck with this. Nothing has changed in such a way that I can do what you're describing.

There are three towers in the tower of the goddess, the grail point is on the far right one. You need the eye of truth to see the chest that you can open after killing the floating pyramids.

EoT spoiler:
Place a weight at the very top of the left tower and halfway up. It appears in the chest at the bottom. You may need to flood the tower for this to happen.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Moonlight Temple - I've broken the top of the pyramid and found Anubis but I can't hurt him. I read earlier that you're able to get the serpent staff here somehow but I can't find out where. Any hints?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

FPzero posted:

Also try poking the wall left of the Grail Point with the Keyblade.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Underwhelmed posted:

Yeah gently caress that, I found if you jump at him as he approaches, start pushing to the right before you hit the double jump and then collide with him you pop right up everytime. The geyser is stupid

After that, I went down and shot his brains out. Felt good.

fake ed: Mman has the right idea.

I found it easier to wait for him to go to the right side, take damage once, and then time my next jump to hit me on the platform when the invincibility ends.

So yeah, there are a few ways to go about doing things.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ok, near end game... What makes the Mantra stones actually appear? I found the one in the endless cooridor, but despite knowing where the other ones actually are, none of them will pop up for me to read. I have placed the Magmahata or whatever its called jewel, and I have Mantra.exe, but besides that first one, none of the other stones will appear when I enter the location. I have this problem in the original too, you would think I would have written it down by now....

edit: Goddamn, I did write it down You have to chant the one you found before the next appears

jerkstoresup posted:

Has anyone made graphic replacement sets yet? I'm itching to replace the new graphics with the old MSX-style ones myself, but I'd be surprised if nobody has started/finished that already.

Or I was thinking somewhere in-between the two generations would be awesome; Genesis 16-bit graphics rather than MSX or PSX-ish.

This would be a pretty significant undertaking. There is a lot more to the animation in this one compared to the original, so it is not just a matter of swapping the folders out or something. It might be done eventually, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for awhile. It was possible to change the graphics in the original by replacing the sprite sheets, and in the years since it's release, I have never seen a single full conversion graphics mod.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 18, 2012

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Has anyone made graphic replacement sets yet? I'm itching to replace the new graphics with the old MSX-style ones myself, but I'd be surprised if nobody has started/finished that already.

Or I was thinking somewhere in-between the two generations would be awesome; Genesis 16-bit graphics rather than MSX or PSX-ish.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

I found it easier to wait for him to go to the right side, take damage once, and then time my next jump to hit me on the platform when the invincibility ends.

So yeah, there are a few ways to go about doing things.

The lamp freezes the miniboss and the waterspout giving you all the time you should need to get up it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

There's a jerk in Twins Labyrinth :( I can get him down a ways but his stupid The World move gets me every time, and chasing him down is a loving pain. Any tips?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

There's a jerk in Twins Labyrinth :( I can get him down a ways but his stupid The World move gets me every time, and chasing him down is a loving pain. Any tips?

Use the lamp outside his room, run through without ever fighting him :buddy:

Don't have the lamp? Come back later.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

tooooooo bad posted:

Use the lamp outside his room, run through without ever fighting him :buddy:

Don't have the lamp? Come back later.

Where do I get the lamp?

edit: okay apparently I need to fight Viy after I kill Bahamut? Where do I find him?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Where do I get the lamp?

It's also in the labyrinth, you'll need bombs to get to the shop that sells it.

Don't have bombs? Come b-- no, they're in the Giants' Graveyard but you can only get to them if you enter from the Tower of the Goddess. If you haven't gotten to the tower then you really don't have any business futzing around in the Twin Labyrinth yet.

• Locked thread