Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Static Rook posted:

I've been going for the MGS2 Plat off and on for a couple of months now. It manages to be the most difficult AND most time consuming trophy off all time. You're way, waaaay ahead of me though. Don't give up! Getting trophies in small steps, in between other games, has worked so far but I'm really feeling the urge to just marathon the thing and get it done. I fear for my sanity, though.
If you can beat the game on Extreme, most missions won't be too bad for you. But good luck on Pliskin's last grenade mission and MGS1 Snake's first variety mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Without going into NDA-breaking detail, can anyone who has been regularly playing Dust 514 beta tell me if there have been any strides made in general "quality-of-experience" aspects? When I tried the game a few weeks ago it felt janky as poo poo.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Static Rook posted:

I've been going for the MGS2 Plat off and on for a couple of months now. It manages to be the most difficult AND most time consuming trophy off all time. You're way, waaaay ahead of me though. Don't give up! Getting trophies in small steps, in between other games, has worked so far but I'm really feeling the urge to just marathon the thing and get it done. I fear for my sanity, though.

Yeah, I've been marathoning the crap out of it since I beat the game on Extreme. I seriously just want to get it out of the way at this point. Midway through Tuxedo Snake now. After this I think I might just play a game I've already beaten a billion times to cool off and relax, because this trophy... I think the only plat I've heard of that's harder is the White Knight Chronicles series.

Mustach posted:

If you can beat the game on Extreme, most missions won't be too bad for you. But good luck on Pliskin's last grenade mission and MGS1 Snake's first variety mission.

That loving grenade mission was awful. The blocks just keep disappearing when my grenades would explode, and the RBG6 has less ammo than they normally give- not that it loving matters, since the platform is so hard to aim onto that it didn't matter anyway.

Worse, though? Snake's sniper mission to protect Meryl. 26 soldiers gradually descending onto her at varying speeds over two minutes, with just one man and a ton of bullets to help her. I did it over 50 times before I actually won. A lot of these missions are just a test by Konami to see how insane and/or determined the playerbase is.

Now you've got me scared for MGS1 Snake's first variety mission.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Anyone here getting the Ni No Kuni Wizard's Edition? I've read this is a Club Namco exclusive, and was wondering if I have to pay for the game in full to preorder. Your help is appreciated.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

The Grimace posted:

After this I think I might just play a game I've already beaten a billion times to cool off and relax, because this trophy... I think the only plat I've heard of that's harder is the White Knight Chronicles series.

Binary Domain has both games beat by way, way too far. It has a crapload of online achievements that you have to get for just one trophy. It's incredibly stupid. :eng99:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Krad posted:

Binary Domain has both games beat by way, way too far. It has a crapload of online achievements that you have to get for just one trophy. It's incredibly stupid. :eng99:

I didn't quite believe this at first so I went to PS3Trophies and PSN Profiles, god drat Binary Domain IS nuts. 9.33 / 10 difficulty rating and only 0.93% of people who ever play the game get it. gently caress, that beats my Red Faction: Guerrilla platinum! :negative:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Online trophies should be illegal. Seriously, what are you supposed to do once the servers are taken down? Those things only last for a couple of years unless it's CoD or something.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Krad posted:

Online trophies should be illegal. Seriously, what are you supposed to do once the servers are taken down? Those things only last for a couple of years unless it's CoD or something.
If they're going to take the servers down, couldn't they just patch the game so those trophies can be gained another way?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

If they're going to take the servers down, couldn't they just patch the game so those trophies can be gained another way?

A developer could do this, but I mean if they are taking a server down, then they don't care to support the game anymore, so I don't see why they would ever release a patch. Metal Gear Solid 4 being the only exception i've ever personally heard of, but maybe there are others.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Samurai Sanders posted:

They should, but patching a game costs money that they probably can't spare if a server can't be maintained anymore.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Krad posted:

They should, but patching a game costs money that they probably can't spare if a server can't be maintained anymore.
Oh yeah. Well then it should be illegal and they should all be killed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
They should put a quickie patch in that just gives you the online trophies. It's the least they could do for people that now owned a game with a larg chunk of content missing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You people care about trophies (and similar) way too much. I think the fact that taking down servers means you can't play the game online anymore is a way bigger issue that not getting some dumb achievements.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

Policenaut posted:

I didn't quite believe this at first so I went to PS3Trophies and PSN Profiles, god drat Binary Domain IS nuts. 9.33 / 10 difficulty rating and only 0.93% of people who ever play the game get it. gently caress, that beats my Red Faction: Guerrilla platinum! :negative:

Does PSNProfiles track everybody that's on PSN?

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been trying to find a FPS with a good single player campaign mode. While I did like Killzone 2 and 3 and Resistance 1,2, and 3, MW3 and BLOPS just didn't do it for me. I felt that alot of times the action was far too scripted and with the vehicle segments it felt way too much on the rails. I had a few issues with how the plot unfolded and in many parts I found it groan inducing. The military jargon filled dialogue aside, they just didn't feel like the other good single player camapigns I've played before in first person shooters like Half Life and such.

Also I can't get the mental imagry of The Black Ops cover out of my head. The cover image looks like the guy is sitting on a toilet in the mens bathroom pooping and every few minutes you hear a "blops".

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 20, 2012

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mechanigma posted:

Does PSNProfiles track everybody that's on PSN?

No. It only tracks those who enter in their PSN username to the site.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
Oh okay. I just saw my profile on there but I don't remember logging in there before. I probably have though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Vaerai Archon posted:

I've been trying to find a FPS with a good single player campaign mode. While I did like Killzone 2 and 3 and Resistance 1,2, and 3, MW3 and BLOPS just didn't do it for me. I felt that alot of times the action was far too scripted and with the vehicle segments it felt way too much on the rails. I had a few issues with how the plot unfolded and in many parts I found it groan inducing. The military jargon filled dialogue aside, they just didn't feel like the other good single player camapigns I've played before in first person shooters like Half Life and such.

Also I can't get the mental imagry of The Black Ops cover out of my head. The cover image looks like the guy is sitting on a toilet in the mens bathroom pooping and every few minutes you hear a "blops".

Now that you mention it, I can't unsee it. Thanks a lot.

As for your FPS thing, it's a very flawed game, but the only other FPS I actually own on my consoles is Far Cry 2. Everything else I have are third person shooters.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Krad posted:

I think this would be a really good idea; they could atleast give them a separate trophy pool. I'll never get 100% on games like AC: Brotherhood because I just didn't enjoy the online portion of the game.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You people care about trophies (and similar) way too much. I think the fact that taking down servers means you can't play the game online anymore is a way bigger issue that not getting some dumb achievements.

They're something to do in recreational time when I'm really, really bored. I often like to work towards goals, and I like playing games. It's kind of like performing a personal high score- sure, no one else may see it, but I'm given the personal satisfaction of knowing I have "mastered" a game. For games like Demon's Souls, that is a terrific feeling. It feels good to have a favorite game and feel like I know it inside out. I try not to get too obsessive compulsive about trophies though, because when I do, I end up like I currently am with MGS2.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Just played through the Walking Dead Ep 1.

It's not the prettiest game around, there are plenty of technical problems like momentary freezing and one point I had to take a previous autosave because I couldn't touch anything for some reason, but :sbahj: that was so loving goooooood

I think I have to play through the second episode right away.

The Walking Dead is surprising good. You can never tell with telltale, they are very hit or miss. Episode 2 is a huge improvement over episode 1 and I feel like they really god the formula down. Can't wait for episode 3.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Everyone should be playing Gotham City Impostors. It's crazy fun. Except when you run into a Psych Warfare game where a dude is just running around with the battery and not hooking it up and no one on the other team can kill him. :argh:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

RandolphCarter posted:

Everyone should be playing Gotham City Impostors. It's crazy fun. Except when you run into a Psych Warfare game where a dude is just running around with the battery and not hooking it up and no one on the other team can kill him. :argh:
If you're running along, think you see something, and then you die - and someone with a sword re-smokes and runs off... hi, that might have been me. :black101:

I'm kind of surprised at how effective the girl body type + the various fast movement perks + sword + invis is. She seems to be a bit more survivable than the tiny body type, but still moves more than fast enough to close with anyone but someone on rollerskates. Just wishing I'd grabbed body armor instead of whatever else I'd grabbed - the rate at which they dole out the unlock keys is miserable.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

yeah the unlock keys are pretty slow to come, that's why everyones first weapon unlock should be the Gatekeeper. Luckily you level up pretty fast.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Shalinor posted:

If you're running along, think you see something, and then you die - and someone with a sword re-smokes and runs off... hi, that might have been me. :black101:

I'm kind of surprised at how effective the girl body type + the various fast movement perks + sword + invis is. She seems to be a bit more survivable than the tiny body type, but still moves more than fast enough to close with anyone but someone on rollerskates. Just wishing I'd grabbed body armor instead of whatever else I'd grabbed - the rate at which they dole out the unlock keys is miserable.

You may be invisible, but my gun can still smell where your stinky body odor is coming from. There is some lag on the notification, but it is quite satisfying to shotgun kill some invisible lunatic with a sword charging at you because they have stink lines. Take a shower.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Made it to the final level in Dyad. The "end cinematic" if you will. It's an infinite "gently caress with your head" mode made completely entrance and possibly disturb you. (not in a bad way.)

That is one loving hell of a game. That said, if you're OCD about Trophies, do NOT buy this game.

You have to 3 star each level. THEN you unlock the Trophy run with some REALLY hosed up requirements. Those are the only ways to earn *any* trophy in the game. You will be at 0/Whatever Trophies unless you persist and persist. I just spent 2 hours to get my FIRST Trophy. Possibly the easiest one, too.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Neon Knight posted:

You may be invisible, but my gun can still smell where your stinky body odor is coming from. There is some lag on the notification, but it is quite satisfying to shotgun kill some invisible lunatic with a sword charging at you because they have stink lines. Take a shower.

No shower will protect you from my goggles. I just sit back, tag a dude and wait for my teammates to smoke him/her. Then when I get bored I grab my shotgun and go to town.

That game is insanely fun, I only with the lobby system was better. (I also would like to play with goons, my psn id is Vicente_Fome)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Feenix posted:

Made it to the final level in Dyad. The "end cinematic" if you will. It's an infinite "gently caress with your head" mode made completely entrance and possibly disturb you. (not in a bad way.)

That is one loving hell of a game. That said, if you're OCD about Trophies, do NOT buy this game.

You have to 3 star each level. THEN you unlock the Trophy run with some REALLY hosed up requirements. Those are the only ways to earn *any* trophy in the game. You will be at 0/Whatever Trophies unless you persist and persist. I just spent 2 hours to get my FIRST Trophy. Possibly the easiest one, too.

Still sounds easier than Trash Panic.

Sickness69
Mar 31, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

I thought about buying the game, glad to hear someone liked it!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

RichterIX posted:

If your local Best Buy happens to have a copy of Shadows of the Damned on the shelf, it's clearanced out to $9.99 at pretty much every store. You can't search for it on the Best Buy website, but if you go here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Shadows+of+the+Damned+-+PlayStation+3/2480074.p?id=1218329496059&skuId=2480074&lid=New you can at least get the store locator (which is apparently only accurate if your store has more than 3 copies). I ended up having to call around and ask by SKU though.

I've played it for a couple hours and I've definitely gotten $10 worth of fun out of it. The controls can be a little wonky at times, but the guns are fun and loud, and I'm having a good time with it for what it is, which is RE4 with bad dick jokes.

boom boom boom posted:

Thanks a lot dude, I enjoyed the poo poo out of Lollipop Chainsaw and have been meaning to pick that one up ever since
I take it back. gently caress you, gently caress you, a million times gently caress you. The side-scrolling levels are the worst, most frustrating thing I have ever seen in a videogame. And there's three loving side-scrolling levels. I can't even express it, I need to hire that guy from The Thick of It to do a monologue about these loving side-scrolling levels.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Shadows of the Damned is such a waste. The beginning of it is so promising and by the time I was fighting that boss in the market I was feeling it so well, like it really was some demented road movie take on RE4, but then it all just goes downhill from there. The side scrolling levels and that godawful shooting gallery stage were almost enough to make me send it back.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It sure looks like that in the process of making his games more mainstream, Suda revealed that he doesn't actually know how to make a good mainstream game, just wacky-rear end alternative games, which will be held to a lower standard on gameplay and content just because of how different they are. I mean, I really liked NMH, but it was REALLY rough gameplay-wise and had a giant empty grindy world that was a pain to get through.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 20, 2012

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I really liked all of Shadows of the Damned, there just wasn't enough of it. Everything is shallow and there is absolutely zero replay value outside of trophy hunting. Just a ton of wasted potential that makes me wonder what another 6 months could have turned it into.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Ybrik posted:

I really liked all of Shadows of the Damned, there just wasn't enough of it. Everything is shallow and there is absolutely zero replay value outside of trophy hunting. Just a ton of wasted potential that makes me wonder what another 6 months could have turned it into.

I feel the same. The lack of a new game+ is a huge disappointment in a game that is fairly short but i really enjoyed my time with Shadow of the Damned. It was a 100 times better than Lollypop chainsaw.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Ybrik posted:

I really liked all of Shadows of the Damned, there just wasn't enough of it.

I feel the exact opposite. The little bit of Shadows of the Damned that we got was far, far more Shadows of the Damned than I needed or wanted.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Ahahaha, yeah, no, I loving give up on this MGS2 trophy. I'm at MGS1 Snake Sneaking 10 and can't do poo poo. There are a few videos on youtube detailing how to get past, but they're too advanced for my level of play. I can't throw magazines exactly where I want as fast as they can, and I'm just burned out trying for another few hours. Furthermore, I didn't know that MGS1 Snake's Variety Level 01 is another loving sniper level. It's just not worth it for a lousy digital trophy. I'm done. :ughh:

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
I really enjoyed Shadows of the Damned.

It didn't take itself too seriously and wasn't stretched out for the sake of it. The gameplay was a little shallow in places but the pace kept up and it controlled well enough not to be frustrating.

The overall style was pretty great, with Evil Dead references (even recreating the shack in the woods and "that" cellar door), the cheezy over the top dialogue (though I can understand the less than subtle innuendo may turn off some), a proper ending with no cop outs, and a fantastic sound track.

Difficulty trophies not stacking is unusual, but this game honestly didn't feel like a chore to play through three times anyway.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Feenix posted:

I've found all the later game trophies way easier than the first few. If it weren't for maximum times X can be pressed I would have the first level's trophy already. Giraffes? Giraffes! In Space! was the first trophy I unlocked for the game and I felt it was really easy for a silver, yet something like most bronze ones are really difficult. I'm sort of happy sitting at 7%, not great but better than 0%.

The last stage "Eye of the Duck" is crazy, that is some real :catdrugs: poo poo right there.

I think I might give up on my MGS2 trophy fun, I should just move on to Peace Walker since I've yet to play my PSP version or my HD collection one.

I finally beat Resident Evil chronicles HD, on easy... I'm really enjoying playing the game on my lunch break, really fun reliving RE0/1/3 and the new Campaign in russia(?). Now I gotta try to get through Darkside Chronicles.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you believe Kotaku FF Versus XIII was officially cancelled internally at Square last week, but they don't plan to make any annoucement. They want it to just fade away so as not to hurt stock prices.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Feenix posted:

Dude, you need to come over and do a shitton of drugs with me while we play this already. I mean, you'll have to supply the drugs and the game since I haven't had any paid work since mid-May and have no idea how I'm going to pay rent in 10 days, but I want so badly to play this game while altered as gently caress.

Cartoon Man posted:

If you believe Kotaku FF Versus XIII was officially cancelled internally at Square last week, but they don't plan to make any annoucement. They want it to just fade away so as not to hurt stock prices.

Not a lovely hit-mongering site?! NEVER!

Considering what I've heard in the past few weeks, the game has pretty much top priority, so that rumor can eat a dick and people are finally learning they can troll the poo poo out of Kotaku for posting every dumb rumor that might get traffic. gently caress that poo poo.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

It's funny that I was wondering how you beat it already when I'm so aggrivated by it ut then I realized that you probaby accept getting less than 3 stars on a level. I really need to relax on it but holy poo poo is getting even two stars loving aggrivating on some levels. They expect you to play in a way that I don't even quite understand yet. It also took me until the third level until I gave up on moving on without getting the trophies. I really need to relax and just play through it but those blank stars will just be taunting me!

boom boom boom posted:

I take it back. gently caress you, gently caress you, a million times gently caress you. The side-scrolling levels are the worst, most frustrating thing I have ever seen in a videogame. And there's three loving side-scrolling levels. I can't even express it, I need to hire that guy from The Thick of It to do a monologue about these loving side-scrolling levels.

I will never get the hatred for teh side-scrolling levels. I didn't love SotD, but I had no trouble with the side scrolling levels at all and found them fun. I played the game on hard my first time through (a mistake considering Hard mode make alot of the bosses unbearable) but I think I died once total between all the sidescrlling levels.

• Locked thread