Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Seriously, I think you've found your calling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

Quarex posted:

Yeah, so, funny story, that is the thing I mentioned the other day about something crazy and big going on behind the scenes that I could not talk about yet.

I noticed on the Wasteland Wikipedia page a few weeks back that someone had actually filled in the "artist" section of the game info page with a link to Barry Jackson, who did the original art. Considering I spent about a week trying to track that guy down a few years back when I decided to see if the original art was for sale, I basically flipped my poo poo immediately and e-mailed him on the off chance he had not sold the original in like 1991.

Against like all odds ever, he still had it. I was about to make him an offer when I thought to myself "one, there is no way I can afford this. Two, there is NO WAY Brian Fargo does not want to buy this." Edit oh and I forgot this one: "Three, Brian Fargo owning these is going to be WAY more useful to the world than me owning them," and that is already seemingly being confirmed by him considering making a limited edition lithograph print series available of the art, something I obviously would have not had the legal ability to do even if I had wanted to!

So since I have the luxury of being able to direct message him on Twitter anyway, I figured I would make good use of that, asked if he was interested, blew his mind that I had tracked the guy down, and he said he was.

At first it seemed like something weird was going on and the sale was not going to go down after all, but then I was like "surely there is a misunderstanding!" and re-contacted the artist and got things figured out and helped the whole deal go down.

I have a promising future now as a game PR man and also as an gaming art broker.

Oh cool, he did buy both the exterior and the interior pieces: https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/227889565665488897/photo/1/large

Classy as all get-out. Bravo good sir :golfclap:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Man, Quarex, you sure go over and beyond the call of duty in this.

Good show!

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Seriously man. When are you expected to launch the "Watch Quarex get poo poo done!" subforum?

Antigeist
Nov 5, 2009
Just sent payment for two belt buckles. Yes, I am really that excited about WL2.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?
Alright, sent in my $26 for a belt buckle.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Quarex posted:

Yeah, so, funny story, that is the thing I mentioned the other day about something crazy and big going on behind the scenes that I could not talk about yet.

I noticed on the Wasteland Wikipedia page a few weeks back that someone had actually filled in the "artist" section of the game info page with a link to Barry Jackson, who did the original art. Considering I spent about a week trying to track that guy down a few years back when I decided to see if the original art was for sale, I basically flipped my poo poo immediately and e-mailed him on the off chance he had not sold the original in like 1991.

Against like all odds ever, he still had it. I was about to make him an offer when I thought to myself "one, there is no way I can afford this. Two, there is NO WAY Brian Fargo does not want to buy this." Edit oh and I forgot this one: "Three, Brian Fargo owning these is going to be WAY more useful to the world than me owning them," and that is already seemingly being confirmed by him considering making a limited edition lithograph print series available of the art, something I obviously would have not had the legal ability to do even if I had wanted to!

So since I have the luxury of being able to direct message him on Twitter anyway, I figured I would make good use of that, asked if he was interested, blew his mind that I had tracked the guy down, and he said he was.

At first it seemed like something weird was going on and the sale was not going to go down after all, but then I was like "surely there is a misunderstanding!" and re-contacted the artist and got things figured out and helped the whole deal go down.

I have a promising future now as a game PR man and also as an gaming art broker.

Oh cool, he did buy both the exterior and the interior pieces: https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/227889565665488897/photo/1/large

Nice. Does WL2 have a community manager already?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I feel that we are seeing the start of some kind of Wasteland based religion here.

Fargo is the one true God, and Quarex is his prophet.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

draper13 posted:

I feel that we are seeing the start of some kind of Wasteland based religion here.

I don't know what the Wasteland-equivalent of ululating would be, but sign me up.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

draper13 posted:

And the Scorpitrons are the Archangels. Man, Wasteland heaven would be the best thing ever :allears:

Seriously though, Quarex, way to shoot above the average! At this point, when Wasteland 2 is released we might as well call it the Quarex Subforum :golflap:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

draper13 posted:

And I sell indulgences!

"Can't get into heaven without your Desert Ranger belt buckle!"

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

People were joking as to which ambient artist will be ripped off for the soundtrack.

Some of Steve Roaches pieces fit pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbh8g8Oyzug

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

White Phosphorus posted:

People were joking as to which ambient artist will be ripped off for the soundtrack.

Some of Steve Roaches pieces fit pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbh8g8Oyzug

As does a lot of Robert Rich's stuff, including his collaborations with Roach (Rich is kinda the godfather of that style of ambient and many artists working in the style have done collabs with him).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ct_JV_LvDA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aIfqjvnEXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ffnlio0UaU

Also, Robert Rich and Lustmord have done some good collabs too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7qNsz6ZagA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XwJ40iuogM

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I do not know how to respond to all the nice things :shobon:

Perhaps I can demonstrate my appreciation for all of you through the fine art of Smiley Assembly:

:o::hf::hfive::hf::blush::respek::stare::coffee:

Thanks everybody. It has been pretty awesome to see how excited this news has made people here and elsewhere. I think the related posts on the Facebook group about him acquiring The Goods had in the range of 500 likes, which is normally reserved for inspirational pictures of Jesus or women in bikinis.

Hopefully they go through with their plan to make lithographs of both pieces of art, because seriously, why would anyone not want both of those on display?!?!

The Wasteland equivalent of ululating is burning through an entire clip of ammunition with your assault weapon. Through PC Speaker.

Tarquinn posted:

Nice. Does WL2 have a community manager already?
Um, I am not sure if they have a community manager per se, but even bigger superfans got the most obvious equivalent job before the forums went up--Brother None from No Mutants Allowed and Ranger Ben from Ranger HQ. I cannot really speak for whether Brother None deserved this (not because I think he is a bad person but because I knew nothing about him) but as I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, Ranger Ben is a great guy who has been maintaining a dedicated Wasteland fan page since at least 1995, which, well, obviously not many remotely worthwhile non-corporate webpages have survived since 1995.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

RagingBoner posted:

And I sell indulgences!

"Can't get into heaven without your Desert Ranger belt buckle!"

That's just for admittance. If you really want to enjoy heaven you're going to need the buckle, shirt, "Desert Rangers #1" foam finger, and the limited edition Quarex mask.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Jonny Retro posted:

That's just for admittance. If you really want to enjoy heaven you're going to need the buckle, shirt, "Desert Rangers #1" foam finger, and the limited edition Quarex mask.

And apparently a signed litho TBD

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Quarex posted:

I think the related posts on the Facebook group about him acquiring The Goods had in the range of 500 likes, which is normally reserved for inspirational pictures of Jesus or women in bikinis.

I was one of those likes! Hahaha. That's amazing you were able to instrument that. I agree with HotCanadianChick, you really are the best fan ever! I'm glad you made this thread and I'm glad it introduced me to Wasteland.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Jonny Retro posted:

and the limited edition Quarex mask.

This should not be distributed until after the release party.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

crashdome posted:

This should not be distributed until after the release party.

I want my Limited Edition Quarex Death Mask drat it! And if I can get it earlier, well. That would be excellent wouldn't it?

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

FauxGateau posted:

I want my Limited Edition Quarex Death Mask drat it! And if I can get it earlier, well. That would be excellent wouldn't it?

1,000 Quarex-clad goons showing up at the party WOULD be excellent but,...

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

crashdome posted:

1,000 Quarex-clad goons showing up at the party WOULD be excellent but,...

But it could turn into the Goon version of Eyes Wide Shut. I can understand the concern.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thanks for going the Eyes Wide Shut direction with that instead of the V For Vendetta direction. Not, you know, that Quorgy is much of an improvement over Querrorism.

C'mon everybody! Buy those Wasteland 2 belt buckles!

Edit: I was just thinking about Barry Jackson (the Wasteland box/interior artist) communicating with me and then later seeing that Brian Fargo had bought the art ... yet another person who has reason to believe I am secretly Brian Fargo. I could never be this convincing if I were doing it on purpose.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 28, 2012

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

This just went up on the Wasteland 2 Facebook page.

I'm pretty much the least firearms savvy type in the thread probably, but the way he's holding that rifle looks odd to me.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I definately like the new look of the background. There's actual vegetation instead of just dusty ruins. I know they spoke about that and why. I agree and I like it.

^^ the gun position looks ok to me too. Slung on the back would imply too much safety. This gives me the feeling of awareness of possible danger.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Woebin posted:

I see he bought a belt buckle! (btw they are ordered and are being made right now)

Woebin posted:

I'm pretty much the least firearms savvy type in the thread probably, but the way he's holding that rifle looks odd to me.
Looks like an M4A1 with the carry handle removed and replaced with some kind of holographic sight to me.

Edit: Just realized it was his stance that bothered you, not the gun. That's pretty much a combat ready stance (except his trigger discipline is lacking...).

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 30, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

RagingBoner posted:

(except his trigger discipline is lacking...).

No, it's not. That's proper.

besides what's really awesome about that photo is the skyscrapers in the background being covered in vegetation.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

RagingBoner posted:

Edit: Just realized it was his stance that bothered you, not the gun. That's pretty much a combat ready stance (except his trigger discipline is lacking...).
Yeah, see, the thing that looks weird to me is his right hand. It looks like he's attached some sort of handle with just a couple of straps or something, and is holding on to that. But again, that's probably just me being clueless about guns and how to handle them.

The "nature takes over" take on the post-apocalyptic cityscape is sweet, regardless.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Woebin posted:

Yeah, see, the thing that looks weird to me is his right hand. It looks like he's attached some sort of handle with just a couple of straps or something, and is holding on to that. But again, that's probably just me being clueless about guns and how to handle them.

It's a vertical foregrip. If you know it's there, it makes a lot more sense. http://webyshops.com/ns/images/Crimson-Trace/CRIMSON-TRACE-Modular-Vertical-Foregrip-Laser-with-RED-Light-MVF-515-Pic1.jpg (ignore the whole laser stuff, just found this on GIS)

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
There's over-analysing, and then there's SA. ;)

For concept art, it looks amazing, finger placement be damned!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Woebin posted:

"Son I'm going to need you to start explainin' or start walkin'." :clint:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Woebin posted:

He's holding it left handed, which is fairly unusual since it ejects from the right-side of the weapon (although this is not much of a problem with ARs). Everything else (ready stance, trigger safety, etc.) looks fairly proper.

Edit:
Here's what it looks in real life

Edit 2:
Looking at it again, he doesn't have the rifle in his shoulder, which is why you would carry it in that position. It so you can bring your rifle up quickly and engage targets while on patrol.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 30, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I have a question for the experienced Rangers in the thread.

Is there any point in WL1 in which it uses a text display mode larger than the little bottom-of-the-screen display, like a full-screen text mode?

In short, does it have any provision for displaying large blocks of text? Or is that handled entirely by the paragraphs book?

If it does, what triggers it?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Even the intro and the end-of-game animation/text scroll divides the screen into graphics on top and text on the bottom, so I am going to say "no," other than of course the loot screen pops up as an overlay and the combat scroll is in some ways easier to read than the text at the bottom ... but the upper-left is always graphical, certainly. And the exposition in the upper-right corner is always minimal.

Also that picture is awesome, I love that we have seen that character twice now, so clearly we get to declare that it is, indeed, Snake Vargas. Probably not. Hell Razor. Thrasher. Definitely Angela Deth.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

I have a question for the experienced Rangers in the thread.

Is there any point in WL1 in which it uses a text display mode larger than the little bottom-of-the-screen display, like a full-screen text mode?

In short, does it have any provision for displaying large blocks of text? Or is that handled entirely by the paragraphs book?

If it does, what triggers it?

In short, no. However, there's some places where the text is larger than the text display, where it pauses the text and asks the player to hit "enter" to continue to the next "page".

The thing with the paragraphs books is that it was an early form of copy protection, since you needed the book for some passwords, but it was also because of memory issues involving the game. Throwing huge blocks of text ate up a lot of storage memory at the time.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ mainly I was just wondering if it had a fullscreen text mode I could invoke because that would be easier to read than paging through it a few lines at a time.

Quarex posted:

Even the intro and the end-of-game animation/text scroll divides the screen into graphics on top and text on the bottom, so I am going to say "no," other than of course the loot screen pops up as an overlay and the combat scroll is in some ways easier to read than the text at the bottom ... but the upper-left is always graphical, certainly. And the exposition in the upper-right corner is always minimal.

Alright, bottom-of-the-screen text it is.

Ok, this insert-the-paragraph-text-into-Wasteland project is turning out to be harder than expected.

Firstly, inserting new text into the map changes the corresponding MSQ offsets, which must then be patched in wl.exe. The wasteland editing suite claims to be able to do that automatically, but it turns out that - despite what the manual says - it will only handle pixmap and tileset offsets, not map offsets. I'd have to patch that in myself. Fortunately, it looks like it's already partly implemented, and the hard part (figuring out where the offsets are stored in the file) is already done. Unfortunately, it's written in Java.

Secondly, and much more worryingly, the amount of storage allocated for each data file is fixed, and if you exceed the original size by too much (and the paragraphs, at ~70k of text, almost certainly qualify), the game will cheerfully run off the end of that buffer, overwrite something important, and shortly thereafter crash - assuming it loads the file at all, which it may not. And fixing that requires a degree of reverse-engineering of wl.exe that, as far as I know, no-one has yet done.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

RagingBoner posted:

I see he bought a belt buckle! (btw they are ordered and are being made right now)

Can you add to the order? I haven't been paying attention to the thread the past few weeks. Can send you the cash asap.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Looking at it again, he doesn't have the rifle in his shoulder, which is why you would carry it in that position. It so you can bring your rifle up quickly and engage targets while on patrol.

It's not really wrong, even if you have it on you're shoulder you'll still have to reposition it a bit when you bring it up. That's a fairly comfortable way to carry a gun when you want it ready in case you need it but you aren't immediately in danger.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

RagingBoner posted:

After a pretty lovely day at work, coming home to news like this is great.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sir Tonk posted:

Can you add to the order? I haven't been paying attention to the thread the past few weeks. Can send you the cash asap.

Add another one if you can, RB. My paycheck's in, so if you have room for two more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hey Rb did I miss paying you again?

• Locked thread