Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Strike Chat:

Sparring last night we did hands only, in-close, and holy gently caress. I have what I can only assume are bruised ribs for the first time in my life and a new appreciation for body shots. The uppercuts & hooks didn't phase me because I felt like I blocked them really well, the rib shots loving killed me though. Never felt anything like that before, it was like all the muscles in/around my ribs on the left side spasmed, hurt to breathe. It's better now, though still sore if I take a deep breath or twist my torso, so I know I didn't crack a rib or something, but drat.

The guy was pretty clearly far more advanced, kept cracking them in because I guess he could tell I wasn't guarding my sides very well. I was probably almost a foot taller so he kept finding a way to my ribs that I just couldn't seem to block - or maybe because I've spent so much time practising blocking headshots/kicks that I just suck at getting a proper body block on. I couldn't get my elbow low enough, probably because I was still trying to keep my hands up by my temples like I'm used to instead of a boxing-friendly chin level.

Lesson learned though, I hope. I need to tighten up my blocks ( in general really, not just body ) and speed up my punching. I got him with a few good uppercuts in particular, but it was like: right body hook...(3 seconds)...left hook...(3 seconds)...right uppercut (3 seconds)... Whereas he was just a flurry of punches, probably 5+ BAMBAMBAMBAMBAM in the same amount of time I was throwing 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
if your doing close up only and you're the taller guy then yep that is exactly how its going to go. I only boxed for a few months but still managed to feel that joy. its hard to defend your body if you're taller, your arms just dont cover as well and the shorter guy has a direct view at your poor floating ribs.

On the other side of the coin, you can jab people to death all day and sometimes sneak in a nice cross because you have longer arms than they're used to handling.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

You may find some success by bending at the knees a bit more, and/or dipping to the side that the strike is coming towards.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Were you allowed to tie up? That's good practice in general, but maybe it wasn't allowed.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Xguard86 posted:

if your doing close up only and you're the taller guy then yep that is exactly how its going to go. I only boxed for a few months but still managed to feel that joy. its hard to defend your body if you're taller, your arms just dont cover as well and the shorter guy has a direct view at your poor floating ribs.

On the other side of the coin, you can jab people to death all day and sometimes sneak in a nice cross because you have longer arms than they're used to handling.

Well, it's somewhat comforting to know it wasn't ENTIRELY because I sucked. I definitely wasn't holding my arms in tight enough towards the end though I guess because I was gassed. He was also good at tagging me when I went on the offense as well.

Kumo Jr. posted:

You may find some success by bending at the knees a bit more, and/or dipping to the side that the strike is coming towards.

I definitely need to do this too, I was pretty sloppy with my dipping and wasn't really bending at the knees enough.

kimbo305 posted:

Were you allowed to tie up? That's good practice in general, but maybe it wasn't allowed.

We weren't no, tie'ing up/clinch/knees is normally my go to when I get close. I suppose it was less like sparring and more like a full contact drill. Heads always had to be touching, no jab's/crosses. If in the heat of things you back up, you could throw a quick combo at distance but had to close within a few seconds and get head-to-head again.

It was a good lesson to focus on my inner game, and I straight up told the guy I suck at my close game so all things considered he went pretty light on me. I'm so used to trying to use my reach that when I'm forced to stay in close it felt really foreign.

Growing pains I guess. :unsmith:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I am no good but when I was boxing my trainer would really encourage me clinch and escape when things got close and then constantly work the jab to keep from getting into that situation. I was strongly encouraged by every person I worked with to stay outside.

You're pushing rocks up hill trying to infight as a taller fighter.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

TollTheHounds posted:

Strike Chat:

Sparring last night we did hands only, in-close, and holy gently caress. I have what I can only assume are bruised ribs for the first time in my life and a new appreciation for body shots.

We do this a few rounds every sparring practice. From mutual choice, it goes to bodyshots, and you can really slam them at 105% power. It's glorious, because when everyone is into it it's really hard to hurt (in boxing) to land them so that it drops anyone so we often have a a few 1-2 minute rounds of just blasting body hooks as hard as we can trying to look for an opening (which is rarely there, elbows are haaaard).

It's a mutual understanding: when you are tagging the head go for 30-70% power but bodyshots can be thrown at 100% percent as long as both are into it. It's really fun.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Which judo-matches from London are worth checking out? (if you don't have time to watch all of them)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sup guys. Haven't posted in this thread for a while.

I gots a me a question, but unlike the usual questions I used to ask, this one's admittedly, a little bit more difficult to answer. Basically, does anyone have any advice on helping eliminate or at least diminish fear when trying to fight?

Practicing moves, and hitting the punching bags is fun and all, but getting in there and actually fighting someone is a completely different matter. I've been skinny all my life (still am), and never been in a REAL fight, ever. Ashamed to admit it, but I've essentially always had to back down. My physique and my inability to fight diminished any confidence I might have otherwise have had in standing up for myself. Looking back, I wondered if I knew how to fight, if I actually would ENGAGE in a fight. Probably may have helped a little, but I'd still most likely be worried about getting hurt to risk it.

Similarly I worry about that right now, when the subject of sparring comes up. Granted, they're not rushing me, and in fact they recommend practicing for six months before any attempt to spar, but still.

Any advice is totally appreciated.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Stop loving thinking and get punched in the face.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Grading for my green belt on Tuesday :D
The instructor is convinced that I've been training elsewhere (I haven't). As far as I'm concerned thats one of the biggest compliments I've ever received.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Grading for my green belt on Tuesday :D
The instructor is convinced that I've been training elsewhere (I haven't). As far as I'm concerned thats one of the biggest compliments I've ever received.

Good luck man. Let us know how it goes. What will the test require?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Thanks Thoguh. Here's what I have to do:

code:
Morote Seoinage: Two armed shoulder throw
Tai Otoshi: Body Drop
Sasae Tsuri Komi Ashi: Propping Drawing Ankle Throw
Hiza Guruma: Knee Wheel
Koshi Guruma: Hip Wheel
Kouchi Gari: Small Inner sweep
Harai Goshi: Sweeping Hip Throw
Okuri Ashi Harai: Sweeping Ankle Throw
Uchi mata: Inner Thigh Throw

Grappling
Additional Grappling Techniques to Yellow & Orange Belt Requirements
Yoko Shiho Gatame: Side Hold
Mune Gatame: Chest Hold
Ude Gatame: Straight Armlock
Hiza Gatame: Knee Armlock
Name Juji Shime: Normal Cross Strangle
Okuri Eri Shime: Sliding Lapel Strangle
Turn Overs, Tori is on their Back
Moving past the legs 
I can do all that except for uchi mata but as far as I understand just do a harai goshi put keep my leg between his legs instead of outside. It was only last week I said that I finally felt like I deserved my orange belt and now I'm up for my green. Really looking forward to it though.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

I gots a me a question, but unlike the usual questions I used to ask, this one's admittedly, a little bit more difficult to answer. Basically, does anyone have any advice on helping eliminate or at least diminish fear when trying to fight?

Practicing moves, and hitting the punching bags is fun and all, but getting in there and actually fighting someone is a completely different matter. I've been skinny all my life (still am), and never been in a REAL fight, ever. Ashamed to admit it, but I've essentially always had to back down. My physique and my inability to fight diminished any confidence I might have otherwise have had in standing up for myself. Looking back, I wondered if I knew how to fight, if I actually would ENGAGE in a fight. Probably may have helped a little, but I'd still most likely be worried about getting hurt to risk it.

Similarly I worry about that right now, when the subject of sparring comes up. Granted, they're not rushing me, and in fact they recommend practicing for six months before any attempt to spar, but still.

I met a million skinny Mexican and Thai dudes who could punch their way through a brick wall, have it fall on them, and continue punching.

Did you not see Fontoyn's fight? He's a wrecking ball, but looks like an extra from freaks and geeks.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr Interweb posted:

First off, understand the nature of fear. Fear is a chemical response that your brain triggers when you perceive something threatening. That's it. It's a bunch of chemicals that get dumped in your bloodstream, and they raise your heart-rate, make your muscles tighten up, increase your mental focus on the threat, etc.

Do not be afraid of fear, but do not dismiss it either. It is what it is - you are going to have a fear response when sparring, when competing, when real fighting, when arguing with a stranger, when skydiving, etc, etc. Many professional fighters have talked about their super-high level of fear before a bout - and they still go into the ring and fight.

The best way to get used to fear is to experience the chemical dump many times, and each time push yourself to continue moving. In the beginning, it won't take much to trigger the response - maybe just some light sparring against a resisting opponent will do it. Later, you may find that you really need some heavy-hitting, all-out MMA action to trigger your fear. Find your comfort level, and push yourself just a little beyond it to get the fear response, and then train in that mental space. Once you are getting comfortable, push beyond your comfort level again. Rinse, repeat.

Once you have felt the fear response a zillion times, you won't get freaked out by it. You'll still feel it, although some people do see a reduction in intensity, but you won't be crippled or frozen by it.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

You are going to get hurt. Accept that, 50% of the fear gone. Besides that just train well against live people. Don't be an aggressive instigator, appear calm, and always be on the defensive and you shouldn't have much to worry about out there on the streets.

I'm a stick like yourself, and spent most of my life in a state of high anxiety because of the idea that someone would decide to beat me up. Just watching a UFC match where someone got mounted would make me have a panic attack. Skip ahead five years of various martial arts - don't give a poo poo. Not scared anymore. I still get nervous/anxious if there is a potential situation that comes up, but I know that I can act and can focus on that.

I resolved to not fight and avoid fights and that is my attitude on the street (vocalizing this to an aggressor is a big help in diffusing situations). I think that knowing what I am going to do in any situation helps keep me calm. I'm not going to attack, so if someone wants to fight, they have to attack first. Unless they sneak up from behind or are trained they are at an immediate disadvantage. If they are trained, it'd be easier to talk it out with them. One of my instructors said I was far more forgiving than he in potential fight situations. But that way no one gets hurt and there's no police involvement.

What kind of martial arts are you doing? If you do any grappling sport, just start rolling/sparring immediately, that should help immensely. Just tell em to take it easy on ya at first, depending on how frail you are. I'd also recommend hitting the gym - lift weights and put on a little size. If it matters, I'm 20 lbs heavier now than I was when I was having panic attacks watching UFC. It could have a lot to do with it.

Unless you were talking about sanctioned fights in which case I dunno just puke your guts out and assume you're going to lose and try to have a blast in there.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Whenever I enter a BJJ competition I get a massive adrenaline rush. But each time I compete in front of people it gets a little bit easier than the time before. It's still exciting but no longer terrifying. You should try to find some outlet that pushes you outside your comfort zone, and it'll teach you how to deal with adrenaline, and that's probably all you really need.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
The last time I tried to compete they found the tumor in my leg. This time they took some films of my shoulder and found: torn rotator cuff, torn labrum, arthritis.

:toot:

Something tells me that I'm going to be doing all my man-hugging for fun and not plastic trophies.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

The last time I tried to compete they found the tumor in my leg. This time they took some films of my shoulder and found: torn rotator cuff, torn labrum, arthritis.

:toot:

Something tells me that I'm going to be doing all my man-hugging for fun and not plastic trophies.

:confuoot:

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am always scared shitless before I fight and that's pretty much par for the course. Before sparring, too.

The trick is to find some stupid, childish way of turning what could otherwise be a shitfest into something fun and productive.

I stole someone's trick, where I sing the fresh prince of bel air through my mouthguard until I feel relaxed. Did it before, during and in the breaks between rounds in my fight and it calmed the hell out of my nerves, even when he was bouncing his hands off my skull.

Also, pump yourself up. poo poo like: "this motherfucker can't do poo poo to my butt" relaxes and psyches me up. I'm loving weird when I spar, but it calms me

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Fontoyn, you're going places.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012

Fontoyn posted:

I am always scared shitless before I fight and that's pretty much par for the course. Before sparring, too.

The trick is to find some stupid, childish way of turning what could otherwise be a shitfest into something fun and productive.

I stole someone's trick, where I sing the fresh prince of bel air through my mouthguard until I feel relaxed. Did it before, during and in the breaks between rounds in my fight and it calmed the hell out of my nerves, even when he was bouncing his hands off my skull.

Also, pump yourself up. poo poo like: "this motherfucker can't do poo poo to my butt" relaxes and psyches me up. I'm loving weird when I spar, but it calms me

What's your weight/height? Also being able to get hit that much is pretty impressive.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Omglosser posted:

Fontoyn, you're going places.

An alzheimers care facility by 40

And I'm 5'10". Weighed in at 172.8 but I walked into the match around 185.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Fontoyn posted:

An alzheimers care facility by 40

And I'm 5'10". Weighed in at 172.8 but I walked into the match around 185.

How do you put on 12 lbs between weigh in and the match? lots of water?

Tried out the BJJ gym near home today, it was really good fun but totally different wearing a gi to without. Gonna have to re-learn what little I knew all over again.

Plus side I can totally wear that purple gi.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Fontoyn posted:

Also, pump yourself up. poo poo like: "this motherfucker can't do poo poo to my butt" relaxes and psyches me up.

going in the OP

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Omglosser posted:

I'm a stick like yourself, and spent most of my life in a state of high anxiety because of the idea that someone would decide to beat me up. Just watching a UFC match where someone got mounted would make me have a panic attack. Skip ahead five years of various martial arts - don't give a poo poo. Not scared anymore. I still get nervous/anxious if there is a potential situation that comes up, but I know that I can act and can focus on that.

I resolved to not fight and avoid fights and that is my attitude on the street (vocalizing this to an aggressor is a big help in diffusing situations). I think that knowing what I am going to do in any situation helps keep me calm. I'm not going to attack, so if someone wants to fight, they have to attack first. Unless they sneak up from behind or are trained they are at an immediate disadvantage. If they are trained, it'd be easier to talk it out with them. One of my instructors said I was far more forgiving than he in potential fight situations. But that way no one gets hurt and there's no police involvement.

that's one way to deal with paranoia

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Antinumeric posted:

Yeah; I drank 3 gallons Monday, 2 gallons Tuesday and none Wednesday for weigh ins. Cut carbs to near zero Monday/Tuesday and didn't eat anything until weighing at 6pm Wednesday. After weigh ins I drank 3 gallons of powerade zero, ate a chicken, scoffed some apples and a blasted through a pack of bagels.

Weigh ins were the day before, though. The trick is really cutting carbs and not drinking day of. I honestly don't know if water cycling works at all but it might've helped.

Also OP status cool

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Antinumeric posted:

Last time I really cut weight I was 197.4 at 7:30 PM on Friday night for weigh-ins, 211.2 when I stepped on that same scale at 8 the next morning while getting changed for the tournament.

It was from a gallon of water, a couple liters of gatorade, and a big pasta dinner.

Water never tastes so good as it does after a cut.

Yoosetsu
May 17, 2012

God knows what he's doin'
He wrote this book here and the book says, "He made us all to be just like him"
So, if we're dumb, then god is dumb and maybe even a little ugly on the side
F.Z.
I did some ju-jitsu (not Brazilian, but plain ol' ju) a few years back. I worked up until green belt, but had my elbow bent in the wrong direction during a training session with a first Dan black belt going for his second dan . There were 5 more minutes to go in the training when it happened. I was too tired and that's one of the reasons why it happened. The other reason was maybe a little too enthousiastic black belt that liked working with me (called me a bull, because i was difficult to get me in the desired locks if it was badly performed... and my corpulance was surely also a good reason). But anyway... i really adored this sport, because it was physical, efficient, challenging and gracious. But, you have to like the pain that comes with the articulations locks.
In short, it's all about immobilizing the attacker by using his own phisical strenghth and body by forcing the articulations in the opposite positions as they were created for.
Nice thing to this sport was : there is no competition. It's not aggressive or attacking. It's about defence when all other attempts to calm down the attacker or fleeing the fight have failed.

Yoosetsu fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 26, 2012

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thoguh posted:

Last time I really cut weight I was 197.4 at 7:30 PM on Friday night for weigh-ins, 211.2 when I stepped on that same scale at 8 the next morning while getting changed for the tournament.

It was from a gallon of water, a couple liters of gatorade, and a big pasta dinner.

Water never tastes so good as it does after a cut.

We had a safeway right next to the hotel selling 32oz bottles of powerade 0 for 50 cents each: the time between weigh ins and your first match is nice as hell. 10hrs of the history channel

edit: and this is daytime history: nazis, pawn stars and gang violence

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Paul Pot posted:

that's one way to deal with paranoia

Confronting my fears and learning a skill - yeah sure is. Not that that was the only reason I decided to take up martial arts/fitness.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Reminder that Olympics grappling starts today and goes pretty much straight through until the closing ceremonies. Judo up first, then Greco-Roman Wrestling, then Women's Freestyle, then Men's Freestyle.

Nobody has made a TKD thread in the Olympics subforum yet. Anybody wanna do that?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Had a weird experience in sparring today. One of the guys with better footwork was coming in and out, backing away at angles. As he got away in one exchange, I tried to following him with a return combo, just a 1-2-3.

It was so weird and so much more tiring throwing that one combo off my centerline. It was at most 25 degrees, but extremely awkward. Footwork is important!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Took a hard fall in practice today. I'm pretty sure I have a very mild concussion, but no loss of memory or consciousness. Either way the treatment is the same, take it easy for a few days. It's been a while since I really been launched so I figure I was due. At least the who threw my rear end had some encouraging words for me after practice.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

Had a weird experience in sparring today. One of the guys with better footwork was coming in and out, backing away at angles. As he got away in one exchange, I tried to following him with a return combo, just a 1-2-3.

It was so weird and so much more tiring throwing that one combo off my centerline. It was at most 25 degrees, but extremely awkward. Footwork is important!

strikechat

How do you compensate for someone with much faster footwork than yourself in straight kickboxing? I have a decent problem sparring hands only with boxers because they're so much faster than I am at cutting angles.

When kicks are involved their angle is easier to manipulate with leg/head kicks, with body kicks interspersed for variance.

swmmrmanshen posted:

Took a hard fall in practice today. I'm pretty sure I have a very mild concussion, but no loss of memory or consciousness. Either way the treatment is the same, take it easy for a few days. It's been a while since I really been launched so I figure I was due. At least the who threw my rear end had some encouraging words for me after practice.

And get to sleep early tonight.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Any suggestions for headgear? I can't seem to find the soft plastic type like the Matman #35 in Canada, and thats the type Im looking for. I dont want the hard plastic wrestling types, I want it to be relatively low profile as possible.

Finally, I think I hosed up. I bought a Fuji BJJ gi and it came too big, and I thought that was good because I'll just shrink it but no matter how many times now (I think 3) it has gone in the dryer, it hasn't shrunk enough. The sleeves fit fine I think, but the rest is pretty big. Am I hosed? I got a size A5 but it feels like I need an A4. Is there any other secret to seriously shrinking this? Because I can't return it now. Am I just going to have to sell it?

How much sleeve space should there be in a BJJ gi between my hand/arm and the bottom of the sleeve?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

strikechat

How do you compensate for someone with much faster footwork than yourself in straight kickboxing? I have a decent problem sparring hands only with boxers because they're so much faster than I am at cutting angles.

Herd them into the corner. Use your rear roundhouse to the body to swipe them into the direction you want them to go. Slug their body.

Lead teeps to the thigh or stomach as they come in. If you can time or read them reasonably well, that'll break up their offensive rhythm. Don't get your foot caught, though.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I'm done hitting people. I want to try a grapple sport and I'm pretty sure I'm going to opt for some Judo. What advice do sage internet senseis have regarding choosing a grapple sport (or this one compared to others specifically) as well as what I should expect as far as the physical tolls and issues that grapplers will perhaps universally experience.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Judo is great, and we constantly recommend it in here. It's really fun, effective as a martial art, useful in a self-defence situation, and a serious workout.

If you find that you really love the groundwork/ne waza, you might consider taking up BJJ. Sambo and olympic wrestling are also worth investigating if you haven't settled yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

In that situation if I know a guy can't counter I will lunge with an overhand right and it usually hits.

• Locked thread