Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

Must resist desire to call in and troll Lance on his stupid beliefs...
Which beliefs now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Meat Recital posted:

Oh dear. Please dont tell me Lance is a fundametalist christian or something.

Nah, he's just frequently Holier Than Thou about things he seemingly knows nothing about.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Storm recently made some profoundly ignorant statements regarding mental illness and treatment on twitter.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3434263&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=94

The guy's categorized as an atheist on Wikipedia, although I've never heard him make any comments on religion one way or the other.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Lance seems very anti science in general. He can't understand why ordinary people might want HRT he thinks our food is poison and seems against psych meds.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Now Lance claims his UFC boycott is not a boycott he just doesn't like UFC even though when it started it was definitely a boycott and he liked UFC.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Dave is great when it's just Bryan and him, but during interview's he's unbearable. He would stammer on and on about nothing when Konnan was trying to talk or answer a question.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bhester posted:

Dave is great when it's just Bryan and him, but during interview's he's unbearable. He would stammer on and on about nothing when Konnan was trying to talk or answer a question.

He does the stammering, stuttering and skipping like a broken record when he hits the phrase "ya know" when it's just the two of them as well.

Bryan constantly has to outright talk over him to get a word in or to change the subject from something that Dave is just lost in spergland about and rambling on and on.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Mr. Carlisle posted:

He does the stammering, stuttering and skipping like a broken record when he hits the phrase "ya know" when it's just the two of them as well.

Bryan constantly has to outright talk over him to get a word in or to change the subject from something that Dave is just lost in spergland about and rambling on and on.

I find it easier to handle when it's just a review or news because he's at least contributing something. He was stammering over Konnan when the subject at hand was a hypothetical situation about underutilized talent.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bhester posted:

I find it easier to handle when it's just a review or news because he's at least contributing something. He was stammering over Konnan when the subject at hand was a hypothetical situation about underutilized talent.

Dave is a great source for wrestlenews with his connections and his passion for the sport and all but he's a really bad choice for someone to represent the website on a podcast. Every time he's on it feels like he's never been in a conversation with real people before and has no idea how conversations actually work.

Then again that seems to be part of his charm for some people so who knows.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Dave is fantastic on interviews though. :confused:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
9/10 Bryan's questions suck, and while Dave's might take a bit of time to get there he has a much better more in depth question ready.

Bryan does good short form interviews and knows how to lead guests well. But when they have 90 minutes to talk to a guest I really want Dave asking something obscure and crazy.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRayPer posted:

Bryan does good short form interviews and knows how to lead guests well. But when they have 90 minutes to talk to a guest I really want Dave asking something obscure and crazy.

This is when their interviews work the best. Unfortunately, sometimes Dave has really lovely questions and sometimes Bryant doesn't control the guest well enough.

I think Bryan's a really good interviewer, though that may be influenced by the fact that Dave loving loves talking over the guests to get in his questions which drives me nuts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The second Observer of the week is up. There are some weird C&P errors but this issue focuses on the history of the longest running weekly episodic television.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

I've recently been listening to the eYada stuff and there's an interview/phone-in with Benoit and it's really hard to take in. It was just after his Owen tribute match with Bret and Dave says that someone contacted him with a commercial-free version of the match and Benoit said to send that along to him too.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

MassRayPer posted:

The second Observer of the week is up. There are some weird C&P errors but this issue focuses on the history of the longest running weekly episodic television.

Just put it onto my ePub reader. I now have a process that works perfectly for the Observer in converting to ePub. It's quite nice.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Riotgrrill posted:

I've recently been listening to the eYada stuff...

Where?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Go to the Radio Shows section of the board, it's in the compilations sticky.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Go to the Radio Shows section of the board, it's in the compilations sticky.

Ah, thanks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MassRayPer posted:

Now Lance claims his UFC boycott is not a boycott he just doesn't like UFC even though when it started it was definitely a boycott and he liked UFC.

I think he was trying to say it's stopped being a concious boycott now and has just moved to the point where he just doesn't care about the sport anymore. That's what I got from it anyway.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
By Lance do you mean Lance Storm? Because we should remember how serious his TNA boycott and WWE boycotts were.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
What's Lance's reasoning behind not liking/boycotting the UFC?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yuriy posted:

What's Lance's reasoning behind not liking/boycotting the UFC?

Chael Sonnen basically. He thinks it is a drug sport and hates drugs. When Chael got his suspension reduced he flipped out and decided he wouldn't support UFC anymore. He didn't change his mind when California overturned the reduction, or when Chael didn't end up fighting until well after his original suspension would be over. Because of that he won't give UFC any money or watch them for free.

As time has gone on he's lost interest, although his claim that he doesn't want to watch and has no interest is dubious since every few months there's a fight he seems interested in.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Chael Sonnen basically. He thinks it is a drug sport and hates drugs. When Chael got his suspension reduced he flipped out and decided he wouldn't support UFC anymore. He didn't change his mind when California overturned the reduction, or when Chael didn't end up fighting until well after his original suspension would be over. Because of that he won't give UFC any money or watch them for free.

As time has gone on he's lost interest, although his claim that he doesn't want to watch and has no interest is dubious since every few months there's a fight he seems interested in.

The hypocrisy from a man earning a living in the wrestling industry is astounding.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Oatgan posted:

The hypocrisy from a man earning a living in the wrestling industry is astounding.

He might just be bitter that Chael would likely do better as a pro-wrestler than he ever did since he isn't a black hole of charisma and can cut a promo

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Oatgan posted:

He admits as much, but pro wrestling is his life and MMA is something he's watched on TV for ~5 years.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
His point was that steroids in MMA is way, way, way more harmful than steroids in pro wrestling.

And he's correct.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

maniacripper posted:

His point was that steroids in MMA is way, way, way more harmful than steroids in pro wrestling.

And he's correct.

No he's not. Guys have to cycle off steroids in MMA while in wrestling they can do them year round and are much more likely to destroy their bodies because of it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Whitney's whale project's site is :effort:

http://www.whalescout.org/

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MassRayPer posted:

No he's not. Guys have to cycle off steroids in MMA while in wrestling they can do them year round and are much more likely to destroy their bodies because of it.

Its not about hurting yourself, its about hurting other people.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Its not about hurting yourself, its about hurting other people.

Steroids do not increase your punching power

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Whitney's whale project's site is :effort:

http://www.whalescout.org/

It reminds me of websites I used to make for high school computer class.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Oatgan posted:

Steroids do not increase your punching power

Everything I've ever learned in movies is wrong

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

MassRayPer posted:

You don't think that using steroids in MMA is far more dangerous than what one guy chooses to do to his body?

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 28, 2012

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

maniacripper posted:

You don't think that using steroids in MMA is far more dangerous than what one guy chooses to do to his body?

No, because as MassRayPer said taking steroids doesnt magically make you hit harder and since you tend to cycle off close to a fight due to testing.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I would argue that steroids are more harmful to MMA than wrestling because wrestling already went through the steroid trials and basically outed themselves so people just go "oh it's fake." now. With MMA people are going to be turned off if they think it's a bunch of roid'ed up guys going at it, regardless if there is actually any performance advantage to it or not. It's 100% detrimental to the perception of the sport and since MMA is entering a down period in their business again, this is a bad time for the public to be turned off even more because of steroid bullshit.

So yes, steroids are worse for MMA than prowrestling, not in the actual competition but in the marketing and future of the business itself.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
On the other hand you could say it's worse in Pro Wrestling because there is absolutely no real gain from steroids in Pro Wrestling because it's all fake and their endangering their health for nothing more than cosmetic use, as well as there being no real laws on steroids in wrestling because it isn't a competitive sport.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gonzo McFee posted:

On the other hand you could say it's worse in Pro Wrestling because there is absolutely no real gain from steroids in Pro Wrestling because it's all fake and their endangering their health for nothing more than cosmetic use, as well as there being no real laws on steroids in wrestling because it isn't a competitive sport.

Actually, the gain of marketable physique is where steroids become a much bigger value. Wrestling being a 365 day job means less time injured equals more money, which is where steroids comes in again.

This is an odd discussion anyhow. Steroids is bad for MMA and pro wrestling equally due to the public perception of steroids. Simply put. Nothing else to it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What happened to the thread title?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Bryan Alvarez is at a Baseball Game.

Bryan Alvarez is having fun at a Baseball Game.

LordPants posted:

What happened to the thread title?

Asking what happened to a thread title, IN 2010?

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Is it a Mariners game? How could he be having fun at that?

• Locked thread