Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

Is there an app that will let my phone be a webcam over the internet? The ones I've found require a wifi connection but I would like to do it over 3G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Long Wang posted:

Is there an app that will let my phone be a webcam over the internet? The ones I've found require a wifi connection but I would like to do it over 3G

Do you mean you want to video chat with someone? If so, you can use Skype if they're on Skype.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Thermopyle posted:

Do you mean you want to video chat with someone? If so, you can use Skype if they're on Skype.

Depending on your network G+ hangouts handle this better than anything else I've seen.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Glimm posted:

Depending on your network G+ hangouts handle this better than anything else I've seen.

Oh yeah, this is the answer.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Are G+ hangouts strictly better than (Google) Talk video chat, for one-on-one?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Look at them in your stock Messaging app

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I can't say for sure except for the fact that Hangouts work over 3G, and Talk video chat doesnt.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Thermopyle posted:

I can't say for sure except for the fact that Hangouts work over 3G, and Talk video chat doesnt.

Possibly carrier dependent? Works for me fine over 3G with vodafone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

dissss posted:

Yeah, Google talk video chat works fine for me on 3g and LTE with Verizon.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Fairly recently, twitter decided I wanted to see people's names rather than their @ names on the web version. Even more recently, plume updated to also do this. I hate it, because I don't recognize people by their real names on twitter, as I got pretty used to seeing @ names. Does anyone know a way to change this in the app? I did a little digging but didn't find an option related to it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

dissss posted:

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, Google talk video chat works fine for me on 3g and LTE with Verizon.

On both my Nexus One and Galaxy Nexus, Talk video chat has always popped up a message about needing to be on WiFi. I'm on AT&T, and of course I didn't get either of those phones through AT&T.

Not sure what's up exactly. Maybe Google checks what carrier you're on, and if that carrier hasn't told them it was OK, doesn't let you use video chat.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

On my stock rooted Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile GTalk video chat works fine on 3G.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Fairly recently, twitter decided I wanted to see people's names rather than their @ names on the web version. Even more recently, plume updated to also do this. I hate it, because I don't recognize people by their real names on twitter, as I got pretty used to seeing @ names. Does anyone know a way to change this in the app? I did a little digging but didn't find an option related to it.

Plume changed it to be this way since it's what the Twitter API requires. It's just the way Twitter handles things now and most apps are going to change to it I'd assume.

From what I hear Plume ~might~ include an option with a future release to change it back to usernames. As of right now you're stuck.

-----

EDIT: Looks like it depends on the app since TweetCaster still allows you to view Twitter names and usernames just fine. So there's that.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 28, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Anyone have a "spendy" app suggestion so I can spend my $25 store credit? I don't play games and have tried to find something I wouldn't normally knee-jerk purchase, but can't seem to find anything interesting.

Something expensive that is actually great?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

Anyone have a "spendy" app suggestion so I can spend my $25 store credit? I don't play games and have tried to find something I wouldn't normally knee-jerk purchase, but can't seem to find anything interesting.

It's a bit of an odd request, but I guess Tasker is pretty useful, that's about the most expensive thing I've bought.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tunga posted:

It's a bit of an odd request, but I guess Tasker is pretty useful, that's about the most expensive thing I've bought.

Thanks! That reminds me...I've had my eye on that app. Maybe I'll give it a go.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hotsauce posted:

Poweramp
Splashtop HD
Titanium Backup
Nova Launcher*
Widgetlocker*

* may not be more than a dollar but I can't remember

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'd grab either Beyondpod or Pocket Casts to cover off podcasting.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My sister has a Nexus7 and is looking for an agenda app/widget. But rather she wants something simple. No "from time 'A' to time 'B' on this day...blah blah blah." She wants on a widget that she can put on a full page on her launcher with hour slots and just taps on one line and types, then the widget would display that text in that hour slot. Preferably with scroll-able pages for different days.
She'd like to have tasks/checklists as well, but calendar would be the priority.

Not something I've looked at before, so...suggestions?

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
So I used to run stock Sense, and it had this awesome Dock app that would pop up whenever I used my dock at my desk.

Now that I've flipped over to cm9, I can't seem to find anything even close to that application.

Most of what I find, like Dock4Droid, and more like launcher docks than that nice 'all in one' solution that Sense had. And all the "Car Docks" don't have the simple widgets that the sense one had.

Help?

jackymc
Mar 30, 2010
Can anyone help me with a Go SMS problem?

I'm looking through the settings, and I'm pretty sure I'm blind because I can't seem to figure out how to change the color of this contact bar:

I've seen different themes with different colors for it, so I know it's somehow possible to change it, but I just can't seem to find the correct option!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I think that's part of the base theme you choose - I couldn't see any way of changing of separately either.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Yeah you need to download a theme if you want to change that.

Anyway, question: is there a way to make the Facebook app resize my photos automatically? Because right now it's uploading them at full size which takes forever. I can't find it in the settings, am I missing something?

Jaladar
Apr 20, 2007

How lonely sits the city.
Does anyone know of some way to force apps to use certain proxy settings?

I'm trying to get an Asus Transformer running ICS to use my work's proxy, and setting up the proxy in the advanced WiFi settings only lets the browsers use the proxy settings.

I've tried a few different apps that claim to force apps to use proxy settings, with no success so far, I have rooted the transformer as is required by most of these apps.

ProxyDroid (Seems to be the most popular, and best reviewed, doesn't seem to work however, and a couple of reviews mention that they couldn't get it to work on ICS either)

(ROOT) AutoProxy, Autoproxy Lite, and Auto Proxy. None of these has worked for me.

Any ideas/suggestions?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah you need to download a theme if you want to change that.

Anyway, question: is there a way to make the Facebook app resize my photos automatically? Because right now it's uploading them at full size which takes forever. I can't find it in the settings, am I missing something?

FriendCaster let's you pick from several sizes when uploading.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

letsgoflyers81 posted:

FriendCaster let's you pick from several sizes when uploading.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

e: it's fantastic but sadly it doesn't support custom lists which makes it useless to me. Oh well. :(

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 30, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

ExcessBLarg! posted:

quote:

Since the introduction of Gmail video chat back in 2008, many of you have told us that you love the direct, personal communication it provides. That's why we're excited to announce that video chat is being upgraded to a more modern video calling technology -- Google+ Hangouts.

Unlike the old video chat, which was based on peer-to-peer technology, Hangouts utilize the power of Google’s network to deliver higher reliability and enhanced quality.

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/video-chat-face-to-face-to-face-with.html

Looks like Google gave you your answer.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Vagrancy posted:

Looks like Google gave you your answer.
"Higher reliability" and "enhanced quality"? It can't be anymore reliable or have better quality than what my uplink allows for.

Obviously where hangouts is a win is video between three or more parties, since presumably you upload your stream once to a Google cloud service which then repeats it for all the parties. In contrast, if you tried to do a three-way video call with P2P streams, you'd have to upload your stream twice which would take a huge quality hit.

I guess I was wondering if it's any better for two-party communication, like if it uses newer codecs or echo cancellation or anything like that, or if all that technology is the same.

That's a good find though, thanks!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
If I do a factory reset, will that clear my encrypted drive on the galaxy nexus? I set up my 'email' application for my work email and it forced encryption.. But then it doesn't even sync all the folders that I need.

So I'm wanting to decrypt, and just use touchdown. The only way I'm seeing to do this is by wiping the data off the drive. Will factory reset take care of it, or do I need to do something else as well?

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Anybody know a good weather app? Preferably one with a 1x1 widget that will follow my GPS location, and also that gives hourly forecasts. I'm using Weatherbug which follows me, but doesn't seem to have an option for hourly. I don't care about radar or alerts or anything else, I just want to know if it's going to be a shorts day or not.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
I just bought PocketCasts and it seems their servers are down, what the gently caress?
edit: oh, they said on twitter they had a hardware failure. "A few hours" to go.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Polidoro posted:

I just bought PocketCasts and it seems their servers are down, what the gently caress?

What are you asking? Servers go down for everyone.

edit: Oh you edited.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

EKDS5k posted:

Anybody know a good weather app? Preferably one with a 1x1 widget that will follow my GPS location, and also that gives hourly forecasts. I'm using Weatherbug which follows me, but doesn't seem to have an option for hourly. I don't care about radar or alerts or anything else, I just want to know if it's going to be a shorts day or not.

Fancy Widgets has a nice 1x1 weather widget, and there's an option to use your GPS to find your location. Here's what one of the skins looks like:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bvoid posted:

Fancy Widgets has a nice 1x1 weather widget, and there's an option to use your GPS to find your location. Here's what one of the skins looks like:

Is that a live background? and if so what is it? :allears:

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Athenry posted:

Is that a live background? and if so what is it? :allears:

Naw it's just a picture, but it makes a really cool background. Here you go:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

EKDS5k posted:

Weatherbug does have hourly forecasts, just swipe right when you're on the forecast page. It does seem to depend on your location though, I'm in Podunk middle of nowhere right now and there is no hourly forecast here.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

EKDS5k posted:

Beautiful Widgets has various weather widgets which support geolocation, and when you tap them will take you to a screen giving a 5 day forecast. From there you can tap the forecast to open the full details of it in a browser, including hourly details.

Not exactly what you asked for, but it's an option.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

"Higher reliability" and "enhanced quality"? It can't be anymore reliable or have better quality than what my uplink allows for.

Obviously where hangouts is a win is video between three or more parties, since presumably you upload your stream once to a Google cloud service which then repeats it for all the parties. In contrast, if you tried to do a three-way video call with P2P streams, you'd have to upload your stream twice which would take a huge quality hit.

I guess I was wondering if it's any better for two-party communication, like if it uses newer codecs or echo cancellation or anything like that, or if all that technology is the same.

That's a good find though, thanks!

gigaom.com/2012/07/30/google-unifies-messengers-replaces-google-talk-video-with-hangouts-in-gmai/

Looks like Google gave you a new answer

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Does anyone know how to make bookmarks' thumbnails appear on the scrolling Chrome widget?

I've visited most of my bookmarks (with chrome) but only a few showed up as thumbnails. I've tried resetting of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Taffer posted:

Weatherbug does have hourly forecasts, just swipe right when you're on the forecast page. It does seem to depend on your location though, I'm in Podunk middle of nowhere right now and there is no hourly forecast here.

Maybe that's it, then. I swiped through all the screens and while there are all kinds of other details, no hourly forecasts.

I'm gonna go with Fancy Widgets for a while since it seems to be doing what I want. Thanks guys.

• Locked thread