Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I'm using the LTE Galaxy Nexus with ICS.

I have a few notification drawer apps running, and I notice their order jumps around dynamically when I'm viewing them. It's nice that they are updating but it sometimes leads to miss-clicks when I'm trying to open one of the notifications. Does anyone know of a way to stop this?

Tasker, BeWeather and Power Controls the notification drawer apps I'm using (see below)

If any of them have a setting that says "try to keep on top," uncheck it. They might not be in the order you want, but they won't jump around as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Skeezy posted:

Just get a Nexus 7 already and make your daughter happy please.
She's *FOUR*.

If she were older - seven or eight - then I could see getting a Nexus.
At four going on five, I give even odds that the end of life comes through "lack of sufficient motor skills" in some manner. =)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Jabs posted:

She's *FOUR*.

At four going on five, I give even odds that the end of life comes through "lack of sufficient motor skills" in some manner. =)

Oh dang, well uhh then keep doing what you're doing I guess.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
My folks have just started using my old phone, any recommendations for a widget to toggle Wifi / 3g? The one that comes with sense doesn't have a data toggle (froyo btw)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jabs posted:

She's *FOUR*.

I don't think she'll have a problem using it. I just don't want to give her a lot of stuff she won't use - for her, Angry Birds and internet youtube videos are all she'll want, and I'm hoping to throw some educational stuff on there as well (though I've found Angry Birds requires certain thinking skills to do it well)

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

gucci mangosteen posted:

Elixir 2 Widgets looks nice, I'm not sure if the icons are skinnable but it does have different backgrounds whose transparency levels you can change. It's also really customizable, and you can add toggles and app shortcuts in alongside your system info. I just installed it as a stand-alone, I didn't need all the other stuff the main Elixir 2 app does but it offers some expanded functionality.

:stare:

Wow, that's perfect. Thanks, can't believe I didn't come across that in all my searching!

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
What is the best Any.Do replacement out there which would allow me to set the background on the widget as transparent? Wish Any.Do allowed for this.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Steriletom posted:

What is the best Any.Do replacement out there which would allow me to set the background on the widget as transparent? Wish Any.Do allowed for this.

Due Today.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Jabs posted:

She's *FOUR*.

My two year old is quite defensive of the Nexus 7 when he sees Where's My Water, so no excuse there . :colbert:

Of course I only have the Nexus 7 because he broke my Xoom. :ssh:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

CornHolio posted:

I don't think she'll have a problem using it. I just don't want to give her a lot of stuff she won't use - for her, Angry Birds and internet youtube videos are all she'll want, and I'm hoping to throw some educational stuff on there as well (though I've found Angry Birds requires certain thinking skills to do it well)
I know she won't have a problem using it for the intended use.
It's that YOUR tears will be less when it slips out of her 5 year old grasp at some point and does a Daffy Duck down the stairs or something.

At the same time, I think a $200 Nexus 7 would make an excellent gift for an 8 year old.

Turnquiet posted:

My two year old is quite defensive of the Nexus 7 when he sees Where's My Water, so no excuse there . :colbert:

Of course I only have the Nexus 7 because he broke my Xoom. :ssh:
Izzacly! =)

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

Thermopyle posted:

Due Today.

Tried it. Wasn't my cup of tea but I didn't get my refunded when I uninstalled it so I guess I'll try and make it work.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Jabs posted:

I know she won't have a problem using it for the intended use.
It's that YOUR tears will be less when it slips out of her 5 year old grasp at some point and does a Daffy Duck down the stairs or something.

I'm confused as to how he'll be happy about a 5 year old breaking a $250 N7 rather than a $50 Chinese knock off.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Does anyone have any suggestions for themes on 4.0.3? I was using a transparent theme prior to the update to ICS, and it looked really nice.

Also, I'm wondering where exactly my quick on/off for wireless in my notification pane went. :mad:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Ragingsheep posted:

I'm confused as to how he'll be happy about a 5 year old breaking a $250 N7 rather than a $50 Chinese knock off.

I think that's the opposite of what he is saying.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Welp! My fault for not reading it properly.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is there any Twitter client better than Plume?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

gmq posted:

I like Twicca.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

gmq posted:

What's wrong with the official Twitter client? I used Tweetbot on iOS, but haven't really noticed anything missing in the official app. Plume just looks ugly as all hell by comparison.

Can't stop laughing at the avatar + username + those screenshots combo.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 10, 2012

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

abraham linksys posted:

Can't stop laughing at the avatar + username + those screenshots combo.
I don't get it.

e: oh I see, it's funny because Twicca was made by a Japanese guy and I have an anime avatar. Okay.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah that, and the origami all over the app icon and store page, and the anime avatars in all the screenshots for the app, etc.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ragingsheep posted:

Trip report: I actually really am pleased with it. It's slow as hell, the touchscreen sucks hard, but it was $42 shipped. $42 for a device that gets on the internet without problem and watches videos and plays games.

Angry Birds Space won't play on it (keeps crashing) and I bought another educational game from the Amazon App store (which works!) and that one crashes as well. So it seems the device's ability to play some apps sucks. I assume this is because of the hilariously low specs of the thing?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CornHolio posted:

Trip report: I actually really am pleased with it. It's slow as hell, the touchscreen sucks hard, but it was $42 shipped. $42 for a device that gets on the internet without problem and watches videos and plays games.

Angry Birds Space won't play on it (keeps crashing) and I bought another educational game from the Amazon App store (which works!) and that one crashes as well. So it seems the device's ability to play some apps sucks. I assume this is because of the hilariously low specs of the thing?

It could be a few things. The rather low spec, the fact that it is running Froyo, and the fact that it may be missing certain hardware and/or API calls (parts of the OS) that would be enforced on a Google (Playy Store) sanctioned device would be the most likely causes of crashing and other errors. There's almost certainly nothing you can do about any of these but it was $40 and it sounds like you're fine with that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Watch ESPN app now works for Comcast subscribers.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

CornHolio posted:

Trip report: I actually really am pleased with it. It's slow as hell, the touchscreen sucks hard, but it was $42 shipped.
Yeah I'd think about it this way. It's a quarter of the specs of a "real tablet", but only a quarter of the price.

If more than a quarter of the apps you try on it actually work, you've come out ahead.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Are there any apps for saving videos from youtube? I'd like to download them on Wifi for watching later.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Has anyone running ics had issues with chrome for Android? On my HTC one x running the stock ics, anytime I swap tabs, all the tabs and website renderings disappear and I have to restart the app in order for it to work again.

Optimus Subprime fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 10, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Watch ESPN app now works for Comcast subscribers.

I subscribe to Comcast for internet only (have Dish for TV). I can log in but get an ever useful "Error" when I try to stream content.

Let me guess...watch ESPN works fine form my computer, but won't from this app because I don't pay for Comcast TV?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

hotsauce posted:

I subscribe to Comcast for internet only (have Dish for TV). I can log in but get an ever useful "Error" when I try to stream content.

Let me guess...watch ESPN works fine form my computer, but won't from this app because I don't pay for Comcast TV?

I'm surprised it works fine from your computer.

Do you really expect to have access to TV channels that you don't pay for?

From the app description:

quote:

Bright House Networks, Comcast, Time Warner Cable & Verizon FiOS TV – ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3 and ESPNU are available to fans who receive ESPN as part of their TV package

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I'm surprised it works fine from your computer.

Do you really expect to have access to TV channels that you don't pay for?

From the app description:

I guess I never thought too hard about it since it's worked fine for 3 years.

Oh well, at least I can get my SEC football fix out West. It would be nice if the app had some consistency though, since they obviously don't care if I use my computer but do if I use my phone/Nexus 7.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

gmq posted:

Tweetlanes is solid as well. As a bonus, it specifically targets ICS+ & plays very nice with the N7.

It's still in active development & is not feature complete. However, I like it enough to use it full-time.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

nexus6 posted:

Are there any apps for saving videos from youtube? I'd like to download them on Wifi for watching later.

The latest version of YouTube has a setting to preload Watch Later and subscription content over WiFi, so you can just tag stuff as Watch Later and it should download them. Otherwise I haven't seen anything for Android just the usual PC browser extensions.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Is there any way to make the default mail app show unread emails on the dock similar to gmail w/ tesla?

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I hate when I buy a premium app (Plume) then I find a freeware app I like better (Tweet Lanes).

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I hate when I buy a premium app (Plume) then I find a freeware app I like better (Tweet Lanes).

Bah, Tweet Lanes doesn't support my TF300 for some reason. Official Twitter app looks like rear end on the large screen.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

nexus6 posted:

Tubemate. You either have to download it from the Amazon App Store or find the .apk online since it's been taken down from the regular store.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Evil Vin posted:

Tubemate. You either have to download it from the Amazon App Store or find the .apk online since it's been taken down from the regular store.

Thanks, this works great.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is there an IM client that uses as little battery life as Google Talk? I haven't paid attention since 2010 when people were using ebuddy and complaining of dramatic battery drain.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

TweetLanes is really nice, but for some reason I still prefer Boid. I use Boid 95% of the time and Lanes the other 5%, just to see how it's coming along. I finally uninstalled the official app a few days ago since I never use it anymore.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Craptacular! posted:

Is there an IM client that uses as little battery life as Google Talk? I haven't paid attention since 2010 when people were using ebuddy and complaining of dramatic battery drain.

Skype uses very little. I'd imagine most use very little these days though since they should be using C2DM/GCM since forever ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Trillian uses push and very little battery if you're looking for multiclient.

• Locked thread