Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Yeah I am fairly sure they know when statistically most accounts lapse and time when to release new stuff to attract those people in to renewing or coming back. See: Wreckerbot.

Bio is done. Been done. They are just timing the release to maximize subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Well, at least they've gotten the timing right on their sales.

Hey new lv 50 premiums, new players... get a reduced price IO/Auction/Alignment system license!

Has anyone else been on Beta to see how much resistance set bonuses were toned down? It looks to me like it was a pretty major nerf, but the NEW set was untouched!

Reactive's been fixed. 1.5 S/L res, and then the normal set bonuses. 6-part is 1.5 Toxic/Psionic.

Edit: Just a quick see, it looks like you could *maybe* get around 25% non-F/C (since Purples) resistances. LOTS of 1.5 and 2.25, rule of 5 on those puts you at 18%.. Definitely not viable AT ALL to build for resistance in place of defense, since the two numbers (Res and Def bonuses) seem about identical, now, with less resistance bonuses to go around. As in, you can stack 3.13% AOE, 1.5 F/C and 3.13% F/C and 1.5% AOE.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 15, 2012

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Pez posted:

Why have I never done this? Pure genius :bravo:

I used to do this every time I played a pubby ITF. Great fun.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

So as a lousy, filthy, smelly member of the non-VIP proletariat should I spring for time manipulation now that it's on sale? Is it a fun set? I bought Street Justice when it was on sale over the weekend and I'm liking that one so far, but y'know alt-itis and all that.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Scyther posted:

So as a lousy, filthy, smelly member of the non-VIP proletariat should I spring for time manipulation now that it's on sale? Is it a fun set? I bought Street Justice when it was on sale over the weekend and I'm liking that one so far, but y'know alt-itis and all that.

It is widely considered to be a very solid set. Also kind of clicky.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
It took me a long time to find something I liked paired with Time, my Water/Time corruptor seems pretty solid. I know some folks liked Plant/Time controllers as well.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Tom Powers posted:

Has anyone else been on Beta to see how much resistance set bonuses were toned down? It looks to me like it was a pretty major nerf, but the NEW set was untouched!
Well, let's see, I said this:

OneEightHundred posted:

For anyone who thought this was going to shake up set values, you're going to be sorely disappointed since apparently they piled the S/L resist bonuses on the sets that are already good. Doctored Wounds 2pc is 3%, LOTG 5pc is 3.75%, Kismet 3pc is 2.25%, Red Fortune 2pc is 2.25%, Crushing Impact 2pc is 3%, Obliteration 2pc is 3%,

Pet sets got some pretty nice boons though. Call to Arms, with one of the rare 4.5% S/L resist bonuses on its 5pc, Sovereign Right has 3.75% S/L resist on its 3pc.

Other weird ones that might be worth something:
- 3% E/N on 2pc Salvo and 3% F/C on 3pc
- 2.25% E/N on 2pc Tempest and 2.25% S/L on 3pc
- 2.25% S/L on Neuronic Shutdown 2pc
- 2.25% S/L on 2pc Detonation
- 2.25% S/L on 2pc Impeded Swiftness
- Adjusted Targeting as a set gives 3% S/L/E/N and 5% global recharge
Doctored Wounds 2pc: 3% --> 1.5%
LOTG 5pc: Unchanged
Kismet 3pc: Unchanged
Red Fortune 2pc: 2.25% --> 1.5%
Crushing Impact 2pc: 3% -> 1.5%
Obliteration 2pc: 3% --> 2.25%
Call to Arms 5pc: Unchanged
Sovereign Right 3pc: 3% --> 2.25%
Salvo 2pc: 3% --> 1.5%
Salvo 3pc: Unchanged
Tempest 2pc: 2.25% --> 1.5%
Tempest 3pc: 2.25% --> 1.5%
Neuronic Shutdown 2pc: Unchanged :siren:
Detonation 2pc: 2.25% --> 1.5%
Impeded Swiftness 2pc: Unchanged
Adjusted Targeting full set: Unchanged

It looks like they mainly pared down low-piece-count bonuses, especially on yellow sets. There are still a few decent ones, but no more 3% bonuses on yellows 2pcs.

Oh yeah and 2pc Impervious Skin is still 2.25% S/L resist.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I find it hard to care too much about the Resist set bonuses being nerfed. I mean it's not like Bio Armor, where if it wound up total crap we'd actually be off worse because it was an interesting set. If they really, really dropped the ball with Resists in IOs so badly that they're absolutely microscopic bonuses that you'd need to do intense calculations just to see any kind of difference, we'd still be slightly better off than if it didn't hit.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Scyther posted:

I know this doesn't apply to you, since the guy I saw doing this had a set bonus list a mile long. But I saw a Time/Dual Pistols Defender basically tanking and soloing the hell out of everything on a TPN :stare: My Plain Jane regular enhancements AR/Dev blaster was pretty much just along for the ride all the times it ended up just me and him in a room first.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Haha yeah, set bonuses will do that.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
I'm pretty sure they also know that a ton of people are chomping at the bit to buy a new powerset (Bio) and that a decent number of people WHO JUST CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE will buy Nature to keep them going and playing with new toys until Bio Armour comes out.

Subvert
Feb 18, 2012
I've started playing this again after, like, 8 years. I'm now on the Virtue server, so I thought I'd try to be social and meet up with some of you's guys. My global name is @subv3rt. Reach out and touch me!

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
I like the idea of a plant/time or maybe even a nature/time character, giving him a mechanical costume and calling him something like "Time Lapse Photography"

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I find it hard to care too much about the Resist set bonuses being nerfed. I mean it's not like Bio Armor, where if it wound up total crap we'd actually be off worse because it was an interesting set. If they really, really dropped the ball with Resists in IOs so badly that they're absolutely microscopic bonuses that you'd need to do intense calculations just to see any kind of difference, we'd still be slightly better off than if it didn't hit.
Better off than nothing, but I think a lot of people were hoping for something that'd solve the problem of stacking resist bonuses being staggeringly worse than defense. I'm not sure why they feel the need to pare 2pc set bonuses down that low when poo poo like Kinetic Combat and the Steadfast +3% get to exist.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Ugggghhhh, everything they've been talking about in the coffee chat sounds so baaaaaad. It's all story/mission related stuff, so most won't care, but nothing they've covered has me at all interested. He even admitted to sort of rushing through the Rogue-specific arcs. Bleh.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

OneEightHundred posted:

Better off than nothing, but I think a lot of people were hoping for something that'd solve the problem of stacking resist bonuses being staggeringly worse than defense. I'm not sure why they feel the need to pare 2pc set bonuses down that low when poo poo like Kinetic Combat and the Steadfast +3% get to exist.
What I don't like is that it's not viable to go for resist, at all. Before, it was easier to go for bigger numbers, the rule of 5 exists so it doesn't really matter if it's on a 2-part or a 3-part.

Basically, it's gone from something that was HUGE for budget builders and new (or bad) players, to something that's only going to be a slight benefit, mostly to people who already have softcapped characters.

You know, I'm a little sad that EVERYONE can't have this nice thing but I'm okay with whatever they give us, everyone that could benefit from this change, is already doing pretty fine I imagine. It won't shake up character building forever but it's something that's been needed for a long time.

Edit: I'm S/L Resistance softcapped why am I taking full damage from energy melee?!?! Honestly, kind of looking forward to hearing that from people who've spent a really long time on building their character for i24 since those are probably the people responsible for getting it nerfed.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 15, 2012

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

WeX Majors posted:

I like the idea of a plant/time or maybe even a nature/time character, giving him a mechanical costume and calling him something like "Time Lapse Photography"

Amusing idea but I'm pretty sure Nature is a buff set as well so nature/time would be physically impossible to all but the strongest of buffobts healers defenders.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Also Nature really sucks- a couple of debuffs, an AOE heal, a Tree of Life clone. Nothing really new except tier 8 is a hold aura that looks interesting.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
But I can cover everything in flowers :allears:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I don't know whether it sucks or not, but it sure doesn't look very interesting to me. I like support sets, but it just seems meh.

That said, I am a sucker and will probably own it by a week from now.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Pez posted:

Nothing really new except tier 8 is a hold aura that looks interesting.
Choking Cloud is already a skip, so not really.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

OneEightHundred posted:

Choking Cloud is already a skip, so not really.

I forgot about Choking Cloud. So yeah, pretty much everything in this set is done somewhere else. It's target has to be RPers, it's pretty much beast mastery part 2

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

The location aoe toggles are fairly new. Only other one I can think of off hand is Dimension Shift, and that's a time limited toggle (the concept of which apparently blows minds along with 0 endurance toggles, but that's a different topic). Other than that, it's light on debuffs and high on survivability and healing. You could probably get the resistance buff in there permanent, which is about 20-25%ish. The tier 9 would probably have a few seconds of downtime, but the damage and enddiscount are nice.

Certainly not the best support set, but it's not awful.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Its problems aren't really what it does as some side aspects of the skills that make them poo poo. Wild Growth and Wild Bastion are both on very long recharges for some reason, the RES/DEF debuff is single-target, and the toggles have ungodly long cast times.

It's still better than Pain/Empathy, but it's going to be worse than Dark at basically everything. It might be better than Thermal at high recharge levels at least.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 15, 2012

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

It would have been better as a free set, but I am guessing tons of pubbies are going to buy this

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Also I just realized that while the influx of Plant/Nature controllers will be nice, the influx of Beast/Nature MMs and Archery/Nature corruptors will not!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

OneEightHundred posted:

Its problems aren't really what it does as some side aspects of the skills that make them poo poo. Wild Growth and Wild Bastion are both on very long recharges for some reason, the RES/DEF debuff is single-target, and the toggles have ungodly long cast times.

It's still better than Pain/Empathy, but it's going to be worse than Dark at basically everything. It might be better than Thermal at high recharge levels at least.

Wild Growth is basically a long term resist and regen buff, more like AM or Farsight or whatever in its applications. Wild Bastion would probably be better off with halved values for everything, but I guess I can see the appeal of an "oh gently caress" button. The absorb stops incoming damage and lets regen take over, in addition to the big heal over time.

I'm looking it over with Mids (which is probably out of date), but the time for the debuffs is 1s for the single tgt non toggle -res and -dmg, 3.1 for the targeted aoe toggle -regen, -tohit, and -dmg, and 2.33 for the +health/end toggle patch. Radiation is 3.1, 1.5, and 1.5 for the non-toggle debuff. 6.43 vs 6.1 isn't a huge difference if those numbers are accurate.

My only real reservation with it is that healing focused sets like empathy or pain feel superfluous to me, since filling that spot with any other variety of support is usually better. This one has a little bit more with absorb, resistance, and big damage buff, but I dunno if it'll mesh well in practice. They seem to be carving a niche for healers in iTrials though, and pubbies loving go nuts for GRATE HEALZ MAYN, so there's always that I guess.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I hadn't thought of MMs getting it. Yeah, definitely pushed it out first to pander to RPers. There'll be 1000 wolf moon nature goddesses next Tuesday

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've said it before, but Bio Vs. Nature was really exemplary of the thinking that players actually go through about designing and picking powersets, as opposed to what they pretend to think about.

It just perplexes me how often the community gets up in arms and goes "I don't want to be good at this poo poo". Mediocre and obsolete Nature getting doted on without ever actually being improved is a good one (bonus points that they cried harder than Bio Armor ever did when nerfed, and all NA got was turning the power effects down a notch), as is Bio Armor getting such a hard time because it dared be kind of good at things. We're seeing it with the new Resist bonuses, too, for whatever reason people just hate the prospect of building for Resist as a viable option.

The only thing I can think of at all to make sense of this is that the people currently on the top (probably Rad for the Nature fight, Willpower for Bio's arena and defense softcappers for the IO bonuses) really hate having their position even theoretically threatened, and that's combining with massive concept and RP whores. But I don't even feel like that's right, it feels like it's still missing something.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pez posted:

I hadn't thought of MMs getting it. Yeah, definitely pushed it out first to pander to RPers. There'll be 1000 wolf moon nature goddesses next Tuesday
Clearly, we must somehow arrange for them to fight to the death. To show who the REAL Wolf Moon Nature Goddess is.

Also, yeah I wish Resists powers were considered 'good' compared to all those 'I'm not really seeing much help from this' Defense powers. Because everyone seems hard wired to think in terms of "This is SO much better... Crammed to the gills with purples."

I still love my Electric Armor though. All the other 'Resist' powers have gaping holes in their coverage so I can see some Baseline logic in "Having to wait until level 35 for All positional defenses is better than no psychic resistance or Knockdown protection (Hi Fiery aura)"

Hell, I can hit BETTER resist totals with Elec armor, AND have Psychic resistance. On top of recharge passive and auto hit endurance drain. so Invulnerability looks like a Joke to my casual rear end.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Cleretic posted:

But I don't even feel like that's right, it feels like it's still missing something.

an extra chromosome

(i'm saying they're downsy)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Section Z posted:

Also, yeah I wish Resists powers were considered 'good' compared to all those 'I'm not really seeing much help from this' Defense powers. Because everyone seems hard wired to think in terms of "This is SO much better... Crammed to the gills with purples."
It's weird how resist armor sets are considered better on brutes because of how easy it is to cap defense from IOs and bonuses, but are considered complete poo poo on supports because of how much more difficult it is there without taking Scorpion Shield.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

If Electric Armor isn't the best armor set, it's near the top. Tons of resists and utility, then you build for softcap S/L at 50 and you're an unbreakable god.

Edit: Grammar.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 16, 2012

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Mind over Matter posted:

If Electric Armor isn't the best armor set, it's near the top. Tons of resists and utility, then you build for softcap S/L at 50 and you're an unbreakable god.

Edit: Grammar.

It isn't, that title belongs to Dark Armor. :smugdog:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tsettan posted:

I've played both, and both do a good job of making you unkillable. The difference is that Dark Armor sucks your end bar dry, while Electric actively keeps it full.

A guy posted:

Its problems aren't really what it does as some side aspects of the skills that make them poo poo. Wild Growth and Wild Bastion are both on very long recharges for some reason, the RES/DEF debuff is single-target, and the toggles have ungodly long cast times. It's still better than Pain/Empathy, but it's going to be worse than Dark at basically everything. It might be better than Thermal at high recharge levels at least.

It looks like Empathy with a new coat of paint. Not awful, but it won't bring much to the party at Incarnate level.

Bonus: how many Nature powers have the same name as Magic: the Gathering cards?

Regrowth, Wild Growth, Spore Cloud, Rebirth, Overgrowth.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Yeah, possible. DA is one of those I've never played much, but I know it's drat good as well.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Tsurupettan posted:

Honestly, the "best" armor sets in the game are the "best" due to their niches in a way. DA is what you take when you want to IO yourself out to be a drat near unkillable death monster, Fire is what you take when you want to literally poo poo (and I mean poo spray everywhere) AOE, WP is when you just want to roll a chill and vege the gently caress out, and Electric is what you go for when you want something in between all those. Now Bio? It's niche? It's niche isn't even CLOSE to what pubbies are bitching about with the set which is fairly hilarious considering what the set is best at has been buffed THREE TIMES. They COMPLETELY miss what this game is all about, and that is that ST damage is what wins the game.

There is no best set, but there are sets that are best at whatever you value the most. I still think EleArmor is the most well rounded armor set currently in terms of DPS output and survivability. It gets beat by both FA and BA for AOE and ST DPS but it beats both those sets in overall survivability. It gets beat by DA for survivability but it has better DPS potential than DA. Also, all these resist bonuses being updated are going to be a noticeable boost to SD characters. Don't forget that.

Honestly, I'm just glad there is a melee armor set that is finally going to trump FA in terms of ST DPS. FA still holds the crown for AOE, and I hope that doesn't change (for whatever reason I feel like this...can't explain it), but come BA going live I am getting the set I have wanted for years.

Now if they would just allow me to buy a "primary or secondary respec" and I'd play my first 50 again, cause gently caress regen.

BTW, BA will have the same issues as Regen for survivability. One second you are chugging along and BAM debuffs DEAD without much warning. It's just BA actually has really REALLY good damage boosting mechanics going on, not to mention defensive mode is actually hot poo poo.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 16, 2012

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

acronyms: a short story by thomas two point zero

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Amidst all this talk of real and interesting topics such as the nature of the various protection powers, I have a stupid niche attack powers question.

Dual Blades/Regen(or whatever the gently caress low effort low endurance needs) No-Sets Stalker attempt.
How "Important" is the DoT combo? Because Level 1 Nimble Slash is looking like it's got nowhere to fit unless I MAKE it fit and put off other things (I go insane if I don't have a small travel+big travel power by level 24 also).

Asking considering without that DoT combo, before lv 32 rolls around the only DB Combos for stalker need build up, so not exactly a combo machine. Though I'd still have two sharp objects instead of one and the "simplified" combos for stalker would make it less of a headache than a DB Brute.

EDIT: vvv my WM/Regen scrapper either Faceplants constantly when he's the only Melee guy on a team, or is near immortal because if there is ANYTHING with the slightest taunt effect (Hi brutes, Tankers, scrappers with taunt/damage auras) or faster attack chains, then nothing I do pulls aggro to me no matter how much I'm smashing something.

If I'm REALLY lucky though, on the previously mentioned sort of teams enemies will ignore me bashing their brains in in favor of murdering the corruptors spamming debuffs on them :smug:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I was being silly, but while we're on the subject, Regen is the best set if you value dying a lot. :v:

• Locked thread