Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

teethgrinder posted:

I LOVE GoodNews, and want to switch for it for podcasts, but it doesn't support variable-speed (Presto library) playback like the major podcast players.

Vote for this feature if you'd also like it: http://goodnews.uservoice.com/forums/149658-general/suggestions/2757342-support-variable-speed-playback-for-podcasts

Is Presto the only way to increase podcast playback speed on Android? Does any player do it natively?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Siroc posted:

Is Presto the only way to increase podcast playback speed on Android? Does any player do it natively?

It's not easy to increase playback speed while not making everyone sound like The Chipmunks. It's math and stuff.

Since almost all media apps are largely glue that pulls together the various media playback stuff provided by Android instead of actually coding media playback stuff themselves, its not surprising that everyone uses a pre-packaged thing like Presto.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
SwiftKey was just updated and can now use ICS and JB voice to text instead of it's own. This is a huge improvement.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

letsgoflyers81 posted:

SwiftKey was just updated and can now use ICS and JB voice to text instead of it's own. This is a huge improvement.

Nice!

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Uh, so Google Play music...

I just updated to JB and noticed that sometimes the Play Market music icon in the upper right corner changes into a blue 'play' arrow with waves coming out of it now and then. When I tap the arrow it changes from blue to white. What is this? :confused:

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Mister Fister posted:

A couple goons recommended aCar for my maintenance tracking of my car.

However, i can't seem to find a way to change the intervals between maintenance needs. For example, it seems locked at every 3000 miles for an oil change. I'd like to change that to every 5000 miles. Is it possible for the free version? Thanks.

It's really dumb but he has two settings areas.

Press the spiral thing in the top right > help & more options > services (middle of the screen)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I wish I was better able to remember to record my trips in aCar. I forget like 50% of the time.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Require More Fire posted:

Uh, so Google Play music...

I just updated to JB and noticed that sometimes the Play Market music icon in the upper right corner changes into a blue 'play' arrow with waves coming out of it now and then. When I tap the arrow it changes from blue to white. What is this? :confused:

Blue means your streaming your music to whatever bluetooth system you're hooked up to, white means you're playing through the line out/phone speaker.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

I wish I was better able to remember to record my trips in aCar. I forget like 50% of the time.
You could probably rig something up with NFC actions and put tags in your car for start and stop.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

rotaryfun posted:

It's really dumb but he has two settings areas.

Press the spiral thing in the top right > help & more options > services (middle of the screen)

Ah ok thanks man!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Since lastpass requires a subscription to use their android app (:whoptc:) is there a keepass app for android or something similar?

Who thought it was a good idea to ask for a subscription? The assholes.

Also I tried out woofi because it was suggested but it sucks. In that I mean it sucks because for whatever reason it can't seem to accurately gauge where I am via gps, so it thinks I'm not near my wifi and shuts it off. Meanwhile for whatever reason I can't seem to stay connected to my wifi network at home. I figured maybe it was because I was using the free app which can only remember 1 location (I need at least 3) so I bought that and it still didn't help me. I uninstalled the app since disabling didn't help and rebooted and all my problems went away :iiam:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Did you try searching for "keepass" in Play? ;)

I use it in combination with DropBox and it's excellent.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Who thought it was a good idea to ask for a subscription? The assholes.

I dunno, probably a company that wants to make money, considering their apps are free?

I paid $50 for 1Password on Mac/iPhone, and I'm kinda bummed their Android app looks like absolute garbage. I might switch to Lastpass if their Mac app is good. They also seem to be the only people who will just handle syncing for you instead of requiring Dropbox, etc., which always seemed annoying as hell.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

I dunno, probably a company that wants to make money, considering their apps are free?

I'd rather pay a fee for the program. Subscriptions for an app that just loads your passwords that are otherwise free to obtain for $12 a year is a loving ripoff.

teethgrinder posted:

Did you try searching for "keepass" in Play? ;)

I use it in combination with DropBox and it's excellent.

I thought about it but never got around to it. :doh:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

I paid $50 for 1Password on Mac/iPhone, and I'm kinda bummed their Android app looks like absolute garbage. I might switch to Lastpass if their Mac app is good. They also seem to be the only people who will just handle syncing for you instead of requiring Dropbox, etc., which always seemed annoying as hell.
On OSX LastPass for Chrome and Safari are both pretty good, although I don't spend enough time in Safari to really say if it has some flaws under the surface.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

I asked 1password yesterday about the full android app. Its in Alpha testing and under full development right now. I'm holding out for it but lastpass is really tempting especially since its so integrated into a bunch of 3rd party apps.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Another question about aCar, is there a way to sync between 2 devices? I have a motorola triumph and a nexus 7 i'd like to be able to sync both to each other. Is that a pro version feature or something?

Speaking of which, is the pro version upgrade worth it? Thanks for your help guys.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nask26 posted:

I asked 1password yesterday about the full android app. Its in Alpha testing and under full development right now. I'm holding out for it but lastpass is really tempting especially since its so integrated into a bunch of 3rd party apps.
I use LastPass on my desktop and I'm planning to buy the subscription for the Android version as soon as I have $12 to spare because it's a really good app for a really good service and they absolutely deserve my money.

e: also desktop LastPass can be used with Authenticate (the Android app) for extra security which is really cool.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

letsgoflyers81 posted:

They also fixed the problem with the prediction bar not showing up in some fields (notably Google Now and mobile Facebook).

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I like using 3 as a music player for when I'm out running, today I opened it up and got the message that "The selected playlist is empty" and it looks like it's not picking up any music on my phone or the SD Card. I cleared cache, cleared data, rebooted and finally tried uninstalling and reinstalling, all to no avail. SD card is working fine, the music is still there and both Doubletwist and the standard music player can see and play it fine but 3 seems to have decided I no longer have any music on my phone (checked the directory file for 3, yes it's checking the directory with my mp3s).

Anyone have any clues what might be causing this or how to fix it? Running CM7 on a Nexus One if that makes any difference, haven't previously had problems with it.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I use Lastpass. It's a great service, but like some people said the only way to get it to autofill is to use their own replacement keyboard or browser, since there really isn't an easy way let one android app manipulate another (nor do I think you would really want a security risk like that.)

I've found the best way is to configure lastpass so that when you tap an entry, it puts two notifications in the tray, one for the username and one for the password. When you select either of these notifications, it copies the values into the clipboard buffer without leaving the current app. Then you can switch back to the app or browser and tap/paste the values in. It's a few more steps, but it's way better than reusing passwords and having your banking login exposed next time hollywoodcelebritygossipsluts.com gets hacked and leaks everyone's passwords in plaintext.

Also, Lastpass supports YubiKeys for 2FA, which are super cool.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You could probably rig something up with NFC actions and put tags in your car for start and stop.

Or, if you're using an NFC tag to turn off your "Car Mode" profile when you get out of the car, add a reminder notification to record your trip info.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

mrmcd posted:

I use Lastpass. It's a great service, but like some people said the only way to get it to autofill is to use their own replacement keyboard or browser, since there really isn't an easy way let one android app manipulate another (nor do I think you would really want a security risk like that.)
I just use the Dolphin add-on, it works great.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

I have been a LastPass Premium subscriber for 2 years now. Easily worth the $24.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

the kawaiiest posted:

I just use the Dolphin add-on, it works great.

I hesitate to move from Chrome to Dolphin because Chrome syncs so nicely between my desktop and android devices (sgs2 and nexus 7). How well does Dolphin sync?

I set up lastpass in my ecosystem last night. Seems to work very well and the Android version (without dolphin) isn't toooo clunky to me. Worth it for ease of use and peace of mind that I'm not using the same pw for all my banking and google/drop box accounts. Plus, my lastpass security audit has me within the top 2000 of lastpass users! :smug:

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

Speaking of the Google Play app. did they remove the equalizer settings in the update? I can't find them.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

MrNemo posted:

I like using 3 as a music player for when I'm out running, today I opened it up and got the message that "The selected playlist is empty" and it looks like it's not picking up any music on my phone or the SD Card. I cleared cache, cleared data, rebooted and finally tried uninstalling and reinstalling, all to no avail. SD card is working fine, the music is still there and both Doubletwist and the standard music player can see and play it fine but 3 seems to have decided I no longer have any music on my phone (checked the directory file for 3, yes it's checking the directory with my mp3s).

Anyone have any clues what might be causing this or how to fix it? Running CM7 on a Nexus One if that makes any difference, haven't previously had problems with it.

Do you have Rom Manager installed? Some people were having an issue with pictures not showing up in the gallery that was caused by a recent Rom Manager update that put a nomedia file in the root of your sdcard. A recent update fixed the issue, but you'd need to go delete the file.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

XIII posted:

Do you have Rom Manager installed? Some people were having an issue with pictures not showing up in the gallery that was caused by a recent Rom Manager update that put a nomedia file in the root of your sdcard. A recent update fixed the issue, but you'd need to go delete the file.

I had this issue, and even though I updated to the "fix", it was still happening.

There was no .nomedia file in the root of my sdcard either.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

BoyBlunder posted:

I had this issue, and even though I updated to the "fix", it was still happening.

There was no .nomedia file in the root of my sdcard either.

If you're using an app to view your SD card like ES Explorer, make sure you've got it set to show hidden files. The .nomedia file won't show up if you don't have that option set.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Cross-posted from the pre-paid thread:

Has anyone else on StraightTalk had problems getting SpeedTest to work right? One of the reasons I thought my StaightTalk plan was having problems was because I couldn't get good results from SpeedTest. It would get an ok ping, then sort of time out and either quit saying the network had problems, or get one tiny bit of download at either 7 or 8 kbps (always 7 or 8) in the last second of the download.

The upload would then frequently be good, around 1-1.5 Mbps. When I tried someone's AT&T SIM card, SpeedTest works fine, and it works fine on wifi.

Only about once or twice have I ever had SpeedTest connect properly while on StraightTalk.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I'm looking for an alternate input method for my Elf II tablet. I'm not fond of the default ICS keyboard in the slightest, especially because I like to use other characters including punctuation. To be more specific I miss my Palm products and Graffiti for the relative speed of entering characters and symbols. A tap or dash was so much faster than hitting a couple of different context buttons to get to parens or whatever.
Yes I want to use it for onboard programming too. I used to do that with my Palm PDAs as well. Last night I tried a simple Hello World in C an it was like pulling teeth.
Second question, and it's not an app request (I think). Is there an easy way to jog the cursor? No arrow keys and stabbing repeatedly at entered text trying to get the cursor in between the correct characters really sucks. This drives me bonkers on my Ideos phone and Elf II tablet.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone else noticing Maps draining more battery since the update? I haven't opened it at all today, but it's accounting for 11% of my app usage (which is 40% of my battery, currently). I'm guessing Google Now is responsible, but still...

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
nm. Graffiti droid app does a great job. Just tried it and about to buy the paid version. I can enter text again without everything looking like a toddler is chewing on the tablet.

Cursor control is still an issue though.

XIII. That wouldn't surprise me. I keep finding that it's running on my phone even though I haven't touched it at all.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Has anyone had any issues with Good News not populating a list (even if it's taken from Google Reader)?

For some reason, the app never works for me on my Nexus S 4G.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

XIII posted:

Anyone else noticing Maps draining more battery since the update? I haven't opened it at all today, but it's accounting for 11% of my app usage (which is 40% of my battery, currently). I'm guessing Google Now is responsible, but still...

I have but it's using a total of 4% of your battery usage, dogg. That's nothing. It's like six items down on my list.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Anyone else using GoSMS on ICS? None of my contacts pictures are loading :(

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
So I wrote an app. With football season coming around, I figured that this would be a pretty good place to start.

It's called Fantasy Football Draft Guide and it's available on the market.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shoaf.android.fantasyfootballguide

It's basically you're own personal 150 player ranking system. The app gathers the top 20 qb's, 50 rb's, 50 wr's, 10 te's, 10 k's, and 10 dst's. Gets their positional and overall rankings from 3 different websites then averages them to give you an average draft position of each player. Which is view-able by position or overall with all players.

As your draft proceeds, you select players to take off the list, check my pick to add the player to your own team.

Pretty simple but was a huge help at my own draft last weekend. Found a few things that could be done better and a few features that were missing. Went ahead and added those and republished.

Basically I made it for my own use, but if someone else can get help with it. All the better.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Siroc posted:

I hesitate to move from Chrome to Dolphin because Chrome syncs so nicely between my desktop and android devices (sgs2 and nexus 7). How well does Dolphin sync?
I honestly have no idea -- I barely use my desktop anymore and my phone is the only device I own (no tablets or anything) so I never even thought of looking into syncing.

Dolphin has a bookmark sync add-on but that's all I know about this sort of thing.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I installed Dolphin browser today, and it stuck a shortcut on my main home screen that I cannot remove. Does it do this for everyone or just me? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Cross-posted from the pre-paid thread:

Has anyone else on StraightTalk had problems getting SpeedTest to work right? One of the reasons I thought my StaightTalk plan was having problems was because I couldn't get good results from SpeedTest. It would get an ok ping, then sort of time out and either quit saying the network had problems, or get one tiny bit of download at either 7 or 8 kbps (always 7 or 8) in the last second of the download.

The upload would then frequently be good, around 1-1.5 Mbps. When I tried someone's AT&T SIM card, SpeedTest works fine, and it works fine on wifi.

Only about once or twice have I ever had SpeedTest connect properly while on StraightTalk.

Yeah, this is a known issue. Just delete the proxy and it will work fine.

• Locked thread