Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

attackmole posted:

I've been taught to focus on the upper body mainly cause it's good for reads, and when people fake it's usually just with the limbs, not with the body. I think the idea is just not to get mesmerized by someone waving their hands around.

Oh drat, does anyone have a gif of Machida doing this to Bader? Not the best place to ask maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The RECAPITATOR posted:

So I started Muay Thai about two months ago - and a week ago I got into trying out some of the BJJ classes offered at our gym too. I love it. Got my Gi and all! I like that on Tuesday and Thursday I can basically warm up/practice for 20 minutes on some bags. Do 1 hour of drills/instruction for Muay Thai then directly jump into the BJJ class for another hour of drills/instructions/rolling.

Thanks to this thread for giving me the interest to drop Wing Chun and hit MT/BJJ and feeling better about myself than I have in pretty much all my 20s!

I love posts like this. I sometimes worry that by being fiercely anti wing chun all the time we can make people defensive and they retreat into their shells and maybe we do more damage than good. Can you describe the feeling of switching from one to the other?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I love posts like this. I sometimes worry that by being fiercely anti wing chun all the time we can make people defensive

Not that I have any strong opinions for or against it, but why so anti-wing chun exactly?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Novum posted:

Not that I have any strong opinions for or against it, but why so anti-wing chun exactly?

Wing Chun is fun and gets you out of the house/off your rear end, but many of the guys in this thread compete in kickboxing/grappling/mma and wing chun has had exactly zero high level success in any of those fields.

e: I remember someone in here posted a clip of an early UFC match where a wing chun practitioner was GnP'd into the grave like three seconds after the gong. Is that still up somewhere?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Novum posted:

It's not really anti wing chun, rather pro put your money where your mouth is, which wing chun is notorious for NOT doing

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Novum posted:

Because of how vocal they are on the internet, mostly. It's heavily marketed as something that it isn't.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I remember someone in here posted a clip of an early UFC match where a wing chun practitioner was GnP'd into the grave like three seconds after the gong. Is that still up somewhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDLRX1P0bEg
UFC 5, Asbel Cancio vs Dave Beneteau. 21 second TKO, not a single punch landed.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 16, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I really gotta wonder what was going through that guy's head as the match started.

"The other guy is shooting, what should I do? Certainly not sprawl or counter, that's for sure"

5 seconds later...

"I don't see any reason why I should try to stop him from moving from between my legs to straddling my torso"

5 seconds later...

"I've made a huge mistake"

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Because of how vocal they are on the internet, mostly. It's heavily marketed as something that it isn't.

This is incredibly painful to watch. I wonder if the guy stopped doing Wing Chun after this. Weren't people still figuring out what was effective in UFC back then?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yeah, the first ten UFCs are actually a little bit horrifying to watch. They're the most interesting ones technically, watching all the styles meld together and seeing what works and what fails, and I feel like I genuinely learned a bunch from watching them. When I decided to take up a martial art, my research was to watch UFCs 1-10.

But watching people who don't know how to fight get brutalized is pretty horrible. It's a different world watching a trained hardass get punched in the head to watching a deluded guy from the suburbs get punched in the head. Some of the fights look like schoolyard bullying. They really don't know what they're in for, and while it's *sort* of funny to see people's delusions being shattered, it's also awful because these people really didn't know what they were in for. The first fight of UFC 1 in particular is horrifying, the poor sumo wrestler with no mouthguard whose teeth fly all over the ring.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Yeah, the first ten UFCs are actually a little bit horrifying to watch. They're the most interesting ones technically, watching all the styles meld together and seeing what works and what fails, and I feel like I genuinely learned a bunch from watching them. When I decided to take up a martial art, my research was to watch UFCs 1-10.

But watching people who don't know how to fight get brutalized is pretty horrible. It's a different world watching a trained hardass get punched in the head to watching a deluded guy from the suburbs get punched in the head. Some of the fights look like schoolyard bullying. They really don't know what they're in for, and while it's *sort* of funny to see people's delusions being shattered, it's also awful because these people really didn't know what they were in for. The first fight of UFC 1 in particular is horrifying, the poor sumo wrestler with no mouthguard whose teeth fly all over the ring.

It sounds a lot cooler than the homoerotic garbage they show now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-5pdfj2NqU

Hilarious Namman Muay commercial - love the stuff!

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So Saturday is my birthday and my second Jujitsu tournament (I think two first place finishes would make an awesome birthday present to myself). It should be bigger then my first so hopefully I'll get to have more fights. I'm concerned about my conditioning during randori but I'm looking forward to attempting some of the things we've been working on the last 2 months. Last time I had to fight ranked karate guys in the novice jujitsu division so I got rocked in randori.
Other then just doing more Jujitsu what do you guys do for strength/endurance conditioning?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Rape Jake. posted:

It sounds a lot cooler than the homoerotic garbage they show now.

This isn't punchsport pagoda and posts like these are worthless, thanks.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I love posts like this. I sometimes worry that by being fiercely anti wing chun all the time we can make people defensive and they retreat into their shells and maybe we do more damage than good. Can you describe the feeling of switching from one to the other?

Well don't get me wrong - I didn't hate Wing Chun - but there were many aspects of it that did not appeal to me.

1. I was sort of a bit flabby and I wanted to do MAs to toughen up a bit. WC did not deliver. Most classes I would barely break a sweat (I would get bruises from arm-bashing, but not so much 'exhaustion').
After switch: Every time I step out of there, I am bruised, exhausted, sore, light-headed and I walk out to my car with a high. It's really pleasant and I feel more bad-rear end every time. Also, I cut some flab: can almost see my abs now!

2. This one might be gym specific: I didn't feel that our Sifu spent much time with us individually. We would be taught by his higher sash students, which would often become a confusing mess of divergent ideas and frustration with the system. (The confusing mess extends to the web, it is very hard to find consistent theories/methods for Wing Chun - not to mention the 284 different lineages and divisions in the community.)
After switch: When we do drills an actual instructor will be walking around, correcting things, giving some praise where warranted. Just getting some actual time with the instructor somehow counts for me. The fact that they also all pretty much seem to agree on correct techniques and such. They do have different styles and emphasize different things, but I'm not getting many (if at all) mixed instructions.
Quality of the gym is just better I think. And I'm pretty impressed with it: i.e. this week-end we are hosting Jean-Claude Skarbowsky for two days of training at our gym, which I find is pretty loving awesome (even though I can't attend :().

3. Role-play: this is as close as I can describe a lot of our drills. Like situations "if you are attacked with a haymaker do this." Then we would practice the 'sequence', which a lot of time felt to me that if someone really wanted to sink in some damage, my 'sequence' would almost certainly never resolve the way we were taught. The only part with I genuinely enjoyed and still partake in with some friends is Chi Sao (sticky hands) which is like light sparring from really close range, sensitivity training...
After switch: we don't do much situational training. Right now, being fairly low level, we're still dealing with getting proper technique (specially with the kicks, which 'look' simple, but apparently are pretty hard to master.) I know that if I wanted to get into fight 'situations', there is actually almost a full day (Friday) dedicated to sparring. I haven't been yet, but I mean to go soon: it doesn't fit well into my schedule. On the BJJ side, well almost half the class is sparring to a certain degree... we're in combat for a good portion of the class.
I feel much more confident in my skills in 'self-defense' (even though I have zero interest in SD) now than I did with Wing Chun. Although their techniques are advertised as deadlier, I feel that it doesn't build the same sort of confidence and knowledge of just how your body reacts.
This might sound close-minded (maybe it is) but also just considering the fact that my current gym frequently participates in MMA and Muay Thai events and produce a decent number of wins, this really helps me in thinking that somewhere, somehow, the instruction and practice we are getting is concrete. Whereas in WC, none of the people there participated in any such competitions or events.

I don't disrespect Wing Chun - I still have some friends that practice it and still like to exchange ideas and spar with them - but it really was not what I was looking for, which might account for why it left me feeling unfulfilled.

Why I am happy I switched (and I think a lot of people that go into WC to become better combatants would feel the same after a switch):
- Better health and conditioning
- Better confidence (personal and fight)
- Less frustration more satisfaction!
- More actual fighting (as opposed to situations)

Disclaimer: Not an anti-WC rant (there are already plenty to chose from from the net), I'm sure it's great for certain types of people. Just not for me.

Gym is N1 Thai Academy in Ottawa (Canada!)
http://www.n1thai.com/

The site is pretty ... basic haha

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

To this day I haven't met a single person who did or does practice Wing Chung who was satisfied in any way with their training.

Even the people still doing it admitted they just liked the movements but could never take it seriously as a form of self defense.

The WC scene here in Germany is pretty dubious too, lots of McDojos with insane contracts and mandatory overpriced clothing and tests.

We used to actually collect hilarious posters by one especially weird guy who called himself "World master coach Sigung Sifu Birul Ozden", a fat middle aged dude who was a total clown.
Having like four gyms apparently qualified him as global supreme master..

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Suleman posted:

I do historical fencing at Guy Windsor's school.

I did that sort of thing for years, before they changed the laws here to make owning swords a huge pain in the arse. It's awesome stuff. I miss the bruises to my stomach and arms :P

Speaking of bruises, I got a takedown wrong at BJJ on Friday, and fell with my full weight on a guy's knee, right in the center of my chest. Hurt like a bitch for days. Then on Wednesday, I got an elbow in the same place hard enough that I threw up shortly afterwards (made it off the mat and into the toilet, thank gently caress). It hurt really badly yesterday, but seems to be OK-ish today. It's not visibly bruised, but people are telling me it's called "a bruised chest". I'm doing light drilling tomorrow and was supposed to be competing (beginner's division) on Saturday. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to though. It sucks.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Thoguh posted:

I really gotta wonder what was going through that guy's head as the match started.

"The other guy is shooting, what should I do? Certainly not sprawl or counter, that's for sure"

5 seconds later...

"I don't see any reason why I should try to stop him from moving from between my legs to straddling my torso"

5 seconds later...

"I've made a huge mistake"
Early UFC was, after Bruce Lee, the single best thing that ever happened to martial arts in America.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Gym is N1 Thai Academy in Ottawa (Canada!)
http://www.n1thai.com/

The site is pretty ... basic haha

Wow, another Ottawa Muay Thai goon. Didn't think that would happen.
I've been training at the Ottawa Academy of Martial arts for about a year now and I've been loving it. There's usually a couple N1 guys competing at the Throwdowns or Wreck MMA's, so maybe I'll see you next time.
And go to the Skarbowsky seminar if you can, in his technique classes he has good info for people of all levels. Just be careful in sparring, last time he was here he chipped someones tooth, and hurt someone elses rib.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Stabbing Spork posted:

I've been training at the Ottawa Academy of Martial arts for about a year now and I've been loving it. There's usually a couple N1 guys competing at the Throwdowns or Wreck MMA's, so maybe I'll see you next time.
And go to the Skarbowsky seminar if you can, in his technique classes he has good info for people of all levels. Just be careful in sparring, last time he was here he chipped someones tooth, and hurt someone elses rib.

Cool :) When I went to try out N1, OAMA was next on my list of places to try out. But when I step foot in the gym, I just immediately fell in love. The smell of sweat, thud of bags being hit, bustle of people happily doing their own thing, etc. After my first intro session (mid June), I signed up on the spot. $100 for the entire summer until August 31st - I plan on renewing.

I'll probably attend some of the next Throwdown/Wreck events as a spectator - looks like a lot of fun and hopefully some day I can participate! :D

As for Skarbowsky, I totally missed the boat - I would have had to register sooner, and at that point I was pretty oblivious to what sort of privilege that would be.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Suleman posted:

I do historical fencing at Guy Windsor's school.
Hey, which branch do you train with? I'm a previous member of the Turku branch, but haven't been able to train properly for over a year now due to some time and money issues. I'm hoping to earn enough money this summer to afford rejoining in Helsinki, where I live now.

This thread gets an occasional post or two about HMA things, but most of the others seem to focus primarily on the german styles.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Sniper Party posted:

Hey, which branch do you train with? I'm a previous member of the Turku branch, but haven't been able to train properly for over a year now due to some time and money issues. I'm hoping to earn enough money this summer to afford rejoining in Helsinki, where I live now.

This thread gets an occasional post or two about HMA things, but most of the others seem to focus primarily on the german styles.

I study in Helsinki, actually! We might have met at some point, if you've been to any of the parties or other events. I'd hope to see you rejoin, it's a lot of fun and we can always use more members.

Yeah, the german stuff is really prominent, mostly because there's just so much more material for it. We do study that occasionally, usually in the intermediate classes, but that happens pretty rarely. It's interesting stuff, though. Lots of fancy wrist motions, compared to the Fiore approach of "if you're in range, grapple and stab that fucker".

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Stabbing Spork posted:

Sounds like him. You might know the story already, but GSP brought him in as a guest coach for the Ultimate Fighter and he beat the piss out of the guys. And while it was kinda funny watching a small drunk dude with a pot belly beat up MMA wannabes, it's a bit of a dick move.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

attackmole posted:

Sounds like him. You might know the story already, but GSP brought him in as a guest coach for the Ultimate Fighter and he beat the piss out of the guys. And while it was kinda funny watching a small drunk dude with a pot belly beat up MMA wannabes, it's a bit of a dick move.

Hahaha I actually saw that.
I wish I was getting my face knocked around by him anyway - maybe next time they have him around... :( He has a funny little moustache these days.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Wing Chun is fun and gets you out of the house/off your rear end, but many of the guys in this thread compete in kickboxing/grappling/mma and wing chun has had exactly zero high level success in any of those fields.

e: I remember someone in here posted a clip of an early UFC match where a wing chun practitioner was GnP'd into the grave like three seconds after the gong. Is that still up somewhere?

The real clip was posted, but this is one of my favorite old MMA moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyHbHcrfWy4

Did you know Wing Chun fighters can punch, kick, and block all at the same time?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

attackmole posted:

Apparantly he thought he was going to be on the TV Show "The Contender" and decided to go out drinking the night before so was still pretty drunk/hungover for filming and ended up knocking the Ultimate fighter guys around quite a bit.

It was one of the better episodes of that show

Guy's I havent been training in a week I feel bad for not training but I've been down in the dumps (A friend passed away foolishly sunday morning its mysecond friend to die foolishly in under 2 months) show me something awesome to motivate me back into training.....

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

henkman posted:

Did you know Wing Chun fighters can punch, kick, and block all at the same time?

I'm glad Zinoviev was able to overcome the handicap of bringing his one-dimension grappling game against such a well-rounded example of the traditional fighting arts.

e: Just watch as he does half-speed drills against a murderer's row of overweight bowling lane attendants, video store clerks and professional community college students!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

henkman posted:

The real clip was posted, but this is one of my favorite old MMA moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyHbHcrfWy4

Wanna see the videos of how that guy got to be 14-0.

"What in that style could have given him problems?"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gaz2k21 posted:

Guy's I havent been training in a week I feel bad for not training but I've been down in the dumps (A friend passed away foolishly sunday morning its mysecond friend to die foolishly in under 2 months) show me something awesome to motivate me back into training.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtMm0swu5i8

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Thoguh posted:

Wanna see the videos of how that guy got to be 14-0.

"What in that style could have given him problems?"

You can't really trust anyone's stated MMA records until the late 90s. Remember how Rickson was supposedly 300-0? Yeah.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yea, Frank Dux-ish blatantly retarded achivements like "he beat 2000 people in deadly combat in a day to win the Zaibatsu Challenge" were super common. It's funny that Bas & Quadros would still bring up that poo poo like Goodridge armwrestling 1000 people like it mattered in 2003.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

You can't really trust anyone's stated MMA records until the late 90s. Remember how Rickson was supposedly 300-0? Yeah.

Actually he claimed 400-0, but even old Helio said that he was just being arrogant.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Gaz2k21 posted:

Apparantly he thought he was going to be on the TV Show "The Contender" and decided to go out drinking the night before so was still pretty drunk/hungover for filming and ended up knocking the Ultimate fighter guys around quite a bit.

It was one of the better episodes of that show

I got to meet him yesterday and he actually took over class for two hours. He wasn't drunk, was very approachable and had a very likable attitude. He's pretty funny and a goldmine for MT knowledge... I'm glad I got to participate in this adhoc class even though I can't attend the seminar.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
Here's the video of Helio talking about Rickson's record.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNy1oEk47_g

It's worth noting that Rickson is an absolute beast, undefeated, and just because he's counting unsanctioned, amateur and street fights is no reason to discredit him.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Kumo Jr. posted:

Here's the video of Helio talking about Rickson's record.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNy1oEk47_g

It's worth noting that Rickson is an absolute beast, undefeated, and just because he's counting unsanctioned, amateur and street fights is no reason to discredit him.

except for the part where it is reason to discredit him, yes

The craziest 'actual' MMA fight record I've seen is probably Travis Wiuff.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

except for the part where it is reason to discredit him, yes

The craziest 'actual' MMA fight record I've seen is probably Travis Wiuff.

He was creating that record during a time when MMA didn't exist yet, and there weren't many professional avenues available for creating a true record. We're talking about vale tudo matches where you would have to absolutely maim your opponent to win.

You can discredit him if you want, but I think you're missing the point.

Edit: I just looked up Travis Wiuff and he`s lost both fights he had in the UFC. Nice one.

Kumo Jr. fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 17, 2012

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
There's nothing out there except Rickson's own claim that he's undefeated or that he's even fought those hundreds of matches. Regardless of how you look at them, be they vale tudo fights or just grappling matches, they're not really relevant for any kind of recordkeeping, anyway. Even Kimbo Slice didn't go around touting his street record as if it had any relevance to the sport aspect of fighting.

I have no doubt that Rickson was a great fighter in his prime, but if he were not a huge BJJ personality and just some non-famous martial artist, he'd be laughed out of this thread if someone tried claiming that this person had won hundreds upon hundreds of undocumented fights based on their word alone.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Kumo Jr. posted:

Edit: I just looked up Travis Wiuff and he`s lost both fights he had in the UFC. Nice one.

The point was that he's competed in nearly a hundred legitimate, recorded MMA bouts. You can look back and find the actual, recorded results and where they occurred. If you try to do the same with Rickson Gracie, you find 11.

I can't believe I am defending Travis Wiuff.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Speaking of Travis', there's another Travis with an enormous record as well

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Travis-Fulton-80

E; He also TKO'd someone so hard they lost by retirement

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

Speaking of Travis', there's another Travis with an enormous record as well

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Travis-Fulton-80

E; He also TKO'd someone so hard they lost by retirement

How would Rickson Gracie feel about Travis Fulton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Considering he's said that big nog has no guard and that Fedor was a bad fighter (back when he kind of wasn't), he'd probably not have too many nice things to say. But seriously, while I've never actually seen Fulton in action, dude has 20 decisions in like 300 fights, which is kind of cool

• Locked thread