Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So I installed Graffiti pro on my tablet. After some brief reading discovered it is actually official too. Cool. Then I thought it may help me with my inability to use the tiny onscreen keyboard on my Ideos. Installed it, turned it on in input and language settings and ...nothing. Still just get the standard onscreen keyboard. Can anyone tell me how I'd switch between input methods in 2.2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

trilljester posted:

I installed Dolphin browser today, and it stuck a shortcut on my main home screen that I cannot remove. Does it do this for everyone or just me? :(
Never happened to me. It did put a shortcut on my home screen but I removed it just like any other shortcut. I use GoLauncher EX.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

trilljester posted:

I installed Dolphin browser today, and it stuck a shortcut on my main home screen that I cannot remove. Does it do this for everyone or just me? :(

the kawaiiest posted:

Never happened to me. It did put a shortcut on my home screen but I removed it just like any other shortcut. I use GoLauncher EX.
You guys know you can stop this from happening by unchecking the option in Play Store > Settings, right?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'm really starting to think the App Manager in ROM Toolbox Pro is garbage. I backed up all new apps and new app versions, wiped and installed a new ROM, restored all apps with data, then the market updates like 15 apps. It also seems to hang at 80% when restoring my apps. I guess I'm going to back to Titanium Backup.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It won't work either, I haven't been able to sever anything from the Market in about 2 weeks.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

General_Failure posted:

I'm looking for an alternate input method for my Elf II tablet. I'm not fond of the default ICS keyboard in the slightest, especially because I like to use other characters including punctuation.

Can you hold down the period to get more characters? This is how it works on the JB keyboard. I had the same complaint before I figured that out.

Also, holy poo poo new Location History in the updated Maps.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Goose Halo posted:

Can you hold down the period to get more characters? This is how it works on the JB keyboard. I had the same complaint before I figured that out.

Just tested it. All it gives me is the '?'. While I'm very happy that Graffiti for Android is a thing, it'd be nice to have a less terrible keyboard for when Graffiti doesn't suit.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

LastInLine posted:

You guys know you can stop this from happening by unchecking the option in Play Store > Settings, right?
:aaa:

Thank you. I had no idea.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

General_Failure posted:

Just tested it. All it gives me is the '?'. While I'm very happy that Graffiti for Android is a thing, it'd be nice to have a less terrible keyboard for when Graffiti doesn't suit.

Try Thumb Keyboard for arrow keys and smart tablet layouts and Hacker's Keyboard for a Qwerty layout for coding, remote desktop, etc.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Goose Halo posted:

Also, holy poo poo new Location History in the updated Maps.
Whoa, this is great. Looks like I came across a UI bug though. I tried to correct a guessed location (it guessed Motel 6 on the way home from work, it was actually the gas station in its parking lot) but the suggested locations used black text on a black background. I still picked the right item since I'm not having me stopping at a motel on the way home from work when I'm working overtime that I rarely get but I sure hope it doesn't guess that I'm stopping in other cheap motels since I do share my locations with my wife.

the kawaiiest posted:

:aaa:

Thank you. I had no idea.
Glad to have helped. :)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lol, what the gently caress, Maps?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

hooah posted:

Jeeze dude, how rich are you that you can afford all those homes?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Location history and Google Now are always kind of hosed up for me. This is because I work from home and additionally make many short trips during the day to different job sites.

Google has no idea wtf is going on with me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

You've got to stop circumnavigating the earth in the middle of the night, dude.

It's no way to live.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

It's no way to live.

Although, I guess if I can do it in under an hour, why not?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

It's no way to live.

If you could go all the way around the Earth in an hour, I can't imagine a better way to live.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

LastInLine posted:

It's no way to live.

poo poo's easy when you travel at 22,000+ mph. And you're Superman.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Although, I guess if I can do it in under an hour, why not?
Don't your arms get tired?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
If anyone is looking for a nice SkyDrive app, Android Explorer for SkyDrive is fantastic. I heard there's gonna be an official app but I doubt it'll be as nice as this one.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I'm pretty sure Dolphin put short cuts on the home screen before the Market/Play store ever did; so it's application based that'd ignore the Play Store settings.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

General_Failure posted:

So I installed Graffiti pro on my tablet. After some brief reading discovered it is actually official too. Cool. Then I thought it may help me with my inability to use the tiny onscreen keyboard on my Ideos. Installed it, turned it on in input and language settings and ...nothing. Still just get the standard onscreen keyboard. Can anyone tell me how I'd switch between input methods in 2.2?

Long press on a text input field, select input method.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Or in ICS or later, swipe down on the notification bar whilst the keyboard's onscreen.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Location history and Google Now are always kind of hosed up for me. This is because I work from home and additionally make many short trips during the day to different job sites.

Google has no idea wtf is going on with me.

I've apparently been teleporting between work and home. Left location reporting turned on while my tablet charged up at home all day :doh:

TheQuagmire
May 14, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone recommend me a good RTS, strategy game in general that I may engulf my hands upon? I've tried Auralux which is pretty awesome, but I know there's better out there.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You're better off asking in the Android Gaming thread for that.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Looks like Google totally hosed up Latitude with this update.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Evil Vin posted:

Looks like Google totally hosed up Latitude with this update.
I've had four checkins since the update and everything has been fine. What problem are you having?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Brilliant! Thanks. That works a treat. I can now input something resembling English on my phone.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Holy poo poo I just installed the Swiftkey app and holy loving poo poo wow. Holy... wow. I'm buying this next month. Wish I hadn't been so stubborn about trying it. I'm very impressed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, I'm a little irritated with Swiftkey right now. It keeps going off the wall with suggestions; the other day, it decided that 'I' should autocorrect to 'imagine'.

I really miss the backspace->revert+override functionality of my last keyboard, might go back to it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 17, 2012

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

MikeJF posted:

Eh, I'm a little irritated with Swiftkey right now. It keeps going off the wall with suggestions; the other day, it decided that 'I' should autocorrect to 'imagine'.

I really miss the backspace->revert+override functionality of my last keyboard, might go back to it.
I'm coming from Swype and I'm just really impressed. I let it connect to my gmail account to learn, and sometimes I don't even have to type at all, it just writes poo poo for me. It's nuts. Sorry it's annoying you, I wish I could help but I've only been using it for a few hours and have no clue how to tweak the autocorrect, if that's even possible.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
The usual thing to do when Swiftkey is loving up prediction is to make sure your language pack doesn't need an update. Sometimes they seem to get corrupted (or something) and grabbing an update will correct it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Has anyone else noticed the following issues with Swype beta?
Won't automatically capitalise the first letter in a field.
Randomly chooses between on-screen editing & the separate, Swype editing page (which is jarring & white).
Doesn't automatically put a space between a word and the & symbol.

Also I get the occasional bug where I'm typing a word & it automatically fills in a suggestion, then I go to delete the auto-filled part & it dumps the word in again, so I end up with a string like:

Automatiautomaticalautomatauto

The prediction is so much better than the original Swype but this last bug is doing my head in.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I definitely have the bug where it won't capitalize at the start of a sentence and I think I've had that last one too. They also still haven't fixed the swype-to-comma bug. In fact, I don't think they've pushed a single beta update yet.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Has anyone else noticed the following issues with Swype beta?
Won't automatically capitalise the first letter in a field.
Randomly chooses between on-screen editing & the separate, Swype editing page (which is jarring & white).
Doesn't automatically put a space between a word and the & symbol.

Also I get the occasional bug where I'm typing a word & it automatically fills in a suggestion, then I go to delete the auto-filled part & it dumps the word in again, so I end up with a string like:

Automatiautomaticalautomatauto

The prediction is so much better than the original Swype but this last bug is doing my head in.

Was doing the same thing for me with Swiftkey 3.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Does anyone know if project butter is implemented into all of Jelly Bean or is it just the stock launcher? In other words, if I decide to use a different launcher like Nova, do I lose the smoothness of project butter?

Secondly, I installed changelog droid as per the discussion in this thread earlier. For some reason I can't get the drat thing to find my unique device ID. Is this because I'm using a non-stock ROM? I have the gtalk service installed and it pops up, but when I hit back, it just says "no ID".

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nova has the same smoothiness.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

IT Guy posted:

Does anyone know if project butter is implemented into all of Jelly Bean or is it just the stock launcher? In other words, if I decide to use a different launcher like Nova, do I lose the smoothness of project butter?

Secondly, I installed changelog droid as per the discussion in this thread earlier. For some reason I can't get the drat thing to find my unique device ID. Is this because I'm using a non-stock ROM? I have the gtalk service installed and it pops up, but when I hit back, it just says "no ID".
Some devices run different launchers better. My friend uses nova on his nexus 7 and apex on his s3.

And butter is an os-wide thing, it's not just for one specific part of android. It makes the entire thing smoother

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

I've had four checkins since the update and everything has been fine. What problem are you having?

I just fixed it by clearing my maps settings, but I wasn't able into use any of the options in latitude and was totally locked out of sharing. Market reviews showed similar things had happened to others.

They did get rid of the widget which I actually used though, which is rather disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

IT Guy posted:

I've had the same problem, and just gave up on it until they (maybe) fix it.

• Locked thread