Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
[REC] is really good (skip the American remake, Quarantine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I always recommend Shutter (the Thai version, not the ridiculous American remake). The Ring is also really good (in this case, the US version is better than the original).

I really hate gore though so if you're into dudes cutting people in half you can safely skip my recommendations.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I was a fan of the original "The SIlent House" - the movie isn't the best, but it's all done in one continuous hour and a half take (allegidly. Theres one or two places that could house a cut, but they maintain it doesn't).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Seen today at Gencon

kilogram
Mar 29, 2012

Cyborg Senator

Action Missile Eye posted:

I've heard a bunch of good stuff about VHS, a found footage horror anthology, but I've yet to put it to the test. There's a CD thread for it.

I found it pretty enjoyable. It certainly had me on the edge of my seat a few times.
Then again I'm a sucker for lost/found footage stuff so you should probably take my recommendation with mountains of salt, but odds are, if you're into that kind of stuff, you'll enjoy it.

Since it's a collection of short films, it's not lacking in variety, and "Tuesday the 17th" has a few similarities with Marble Hornets, though the fact that the murderer uses a knife (mystery goes out the window) ruined it a little in my opinion.
Additionally, two scenes reminded me of this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pope Guilty posted:

[REC] is really good (skip the American remake, Quarantine).

This is very good advice.

Not terribly recent, but Japanese film Marebito is one of the most unsettling movies I can name, and not in the usual horror-scare ways at all. Last I checked, it was on YouTube but since it got an official US release I'm sure it's on NetFlix or whatever also.

This might be kind of obvious but I'm sure a few people still haven't seen it: the American version of Let the Right One In, renamed to Let Me In, is one of the few remakes that I prefer to the original. It's just fantastic, mostly because Chloe Grace Meritz is just so amazing in it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

kilogram posted:

Additionally, two scenes reminded me of this.

This is worth quoting. No Through Road (the above link) owns and is worth your 10 minutes to watch if you weren't around to see it during the previous 2 threads :shobon:

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
I was at a party last night, and a few of us went outside to hang out for awhile. While I'm talking and laughing, I turn around and catch a glimpse of a tall figure with a suspiciously familiar face. Did a huge double take and pointed Masky out to my friends, who all freaked out - of course, I am on the ball, so I promptly shouted "hey! hey!" and sprinted after him, got around a corner and he was gone - until I saw half the mask peeking out from behind an alleyway. Sprinted again, and as we're running he falls over. I tore his mask off to find out it was one of my very good friends.

So I grabbed a rock and broke his leg.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I introduced my roommate to Marble Hornets over the course of the past two nights.

He was freaked the gently caress out, scared as poo poo.

We go to our respective rooms, I'm catching up on Hell On Wheels when I hear a huge loving banging clattering sound from his room at 3 AM. I jump up, rip open my door. He asks me if I heard anything and I told him I did. He grabs his pistol and we proceed to clear both floors of our house, making sure we're not about to get hosed up by some dude.

Turns out this fucker had a nightmare about Slenderman, screamed in his sleep, woke himself up with said scream, then jumped out of bed. The noise he was asking me about was his scream (that he didn't realize had come from himself), but I thought it was the banging around he was talking about.

Much screaming was happening during all of this. I'm curious what the neighbors thought.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is he a goon?

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

muike posted:

Is he a goon?

Nope.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Watched V/H/S, but either I'm too dumb to understand the main story of the anthology or it doesn't even bother to try to explain itself. Either way, I enjoyed the vignettes!

My favorite part was in the basement when someone walks by and the dude with the camera FREAKS OUT because "HOLY poo poo SOMEONE ELSE IS DOWN HERE" but then shrugs it off a few seconds later because they got poo poo to do ... :rolleyes:

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

precision posted:

This is very good advice.

Not terribly recent, but Japanese film Marebito is one of the most unsettling movies I can name, and not in the usual horror-scare ways at all. Last I checked, it was on YouTube but since it got an official US release I'm sure it's on NetFlix or whatever also.

I think it was this thread that recomended Noroi last time people asked for recommendations. And now I'd like to recommend the crap out of it. Basically a proto japanese Marble Hornets, sharing a lot of the structural pacing and style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A5VNsEeAMY

The wikipedia page spoils all the good bits so I'd stay away from it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

My Gimmick Name posted:

I think it was this thread that recomended Noroi last time people asked for recommendations. And now I'd like to recommend the crap out of it. Basically a proto japanese Marble Hornets, sharing a lot of the structural pacing and style.

Oh gently caress yes, I watched that a while back and it is indeed goddamn incredible. Very unsettling and perfect for anyone who likes Marble Hornets for sure. In fact I seem to remember thinking (with no offense to the MH crew) that surely they must have seen it because there are a few things that are extremely similar.

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!
YouTube finally released frame advance. Pause a video then use the left and right arrows on your keyboard. Easy to get lots of good images from totheark in seconds now.

kilogram
Mar 29, 2012

Cyborg Senator

My Gimmick Name posted:

I love horror movies but one thing that bugs me is that they often explain whatever menace they encounter, by "it's an evil spirit", "it's a psychotic killer", etc. This tends to make the film fall a bit flat for me.

I haven't watched Noroi or Marebito yet (I will soon), but just the fact that Noroi apparently has the English title "The Curse" is kinda of a warning sign to me.

This is one of the things I enjoy about Marble Hornets; so far, they haven't explained the Operator (except for the time where Alex explained something about a criminal who got his limbs stretched or some such, but thankfully that was allegedly not their actual explanation).

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

kilogram posted:

I love horror movies but one thing that bugs me is that they often explain whatever menace they encounter, by "it's an evil spirit", "it's a psychotic killer", etc. This tends to make the film fall a bit flat for me.

I haven't watched Noroi or Marebito yet (I will soon), but just the fact that Noroi apparently has the English title "The Curse" is kinda of a warning sign to me.

This is one of the things I enjoy about Marble Hornets; so far, they haven't explained the Operator (except for the time where Alex explained something about a criminal who got his limbs stretched or some such, but thankfully that was allegedly not their actual explanation).

It's an even bigger problem in stuff like creepypasta and amateur horror. So many people just do not seem to understand that the unknown is the scariest thing imaginable.

And don't even get me started on all the lazy Slenderman kock-off fiction that's been cropping up since Marble Hornets and the like took off. How can so many people miss the fact that it's the atmosphere and pacing that makes MH scary and not the lanky dude with no face?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kilogram posted:

There's not much way I can say this without spoiling things but you definitely don't need to worry about that with Marebito. There is an explanation, but it's... not the kind you're complaining about.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

Action Missile Eye posted:

I'm curious to check out that and Lake Mungo.

Going back a bit here, but Lake Mungo isn't really horror in the same way that, say, REC and MH are. It takes its premise in a couple different (more sedate) directions but doesn't really deliver on its promise. It's not bad, but don't feel sorry if it sits in your queue for a while.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

KingKalamari posted:

How can so many people miss the fact that it's the atmosphere and pacing that makes MH scary and not the lanky dude with no face?

Granted, the lanky dude with no face is totally something that feeds into the atmosphere and the pacing. The fact that he's a constant threat (though just what kind we still don't know) is something that MH has done really well, and his actual appearances are all excellent payoffs. But like you said, it all comes back to the fact that they know what to do with him. One of my favorite entries is still 17, because I legitimately didn't notice until my second viewing that he was there at all. Freaked the gently caress out of me, and it was all down to the Operator being used as an atmospheric element rather than a delivery platform for jumpscares and gore.

I still can't understand why people make Slender Man stories where he's killing people left and right with his combat tentacles and wiping out platoons of soldiers and hunting down the cast one by one like a slasher. It's dumb and it robs his striking imagery of its power. Once he becomes a concrete physical threat he stops being a manifestation of subtle alien fear. What is the Slender Man? Well see he's got 300 HP which means he's pretty drat scary but not as scary as Goku I'll tell you what.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

KingKalamari posted:

It's an even bigger problem in stuff like creepypasta and amateur horror. So many people just do not seem to understand that the unknown is the scariest thing imaginable.

And don't even get me started on all the lazy Slenderman kock-off fiction that's been cropping up since Marble Hornets and the like took off. How can so many people miss the fact that it's the atmosphere and pacing that makes MH scary and not the lanky dude with no face?

The only good Slenderman fiction I ever read managed to pull it off through a lot of patience and discipline on the part of the writer. Most of those blogs start off on the Slenderman food really quickly and often like to make their own maskys and tothearks with overcomplicated plots that run through comment chains and across blogs (often they turn more into roleplay than literature.)

This blog though, handled itself so well. For three whole months there were just normal blog posts where some girl posts about her life and her academic interest in fish. Slenderman starts out just as a bunch of odd occurrences she mentions like anything else on her blog. "I saw this guy down the road, I swear he was the tallest man I'd ever seen, can people even be that tall?" Very stream of conscious, it looked like an actual blog. Then she keeps seeing "that tall guy" and she thinks she has a stalker, and it takes a really long time until we realize it's Slenderman and not some random guy.

Rather than trying to actually describe the scenes as they happened and make them scary, we instead read the psychology of this girl who is terrified of the really pale tall guy stalking her. Eventually she starts to get anxiety problems and we question if she even has a stalker or if she's just seeing things.

It ended with her becoming so terrified she breaks and goes backwards. She describes herself just staring at Slenderman for an hour, both of them completely still. Eventually she just commits suicide.

I can never remember the name of it though because it was some weird blogname that had nothing to do with anything. Ithycalasus or something like that. Whenever I find it again I like to reread it because it's so good.

Slenderman works best in a visual medium. You can't just make MH: The Blog. You have to rethink what parts are going to be scary.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ironically that is what has turned me off about a few of the Slenderman video series, like Angels' Game. They go to great lengths to appear to just be a normal guy going about life, and then oh yeah I saw this weird tall dude outside my window last night, pretty creepy huh? They'll go 3 entries with literally nothing happening except the guy talking about his homework or going for a walk. It works for a few 2 paragraph blog posts, not so much 30+ minutes of video.

SMexicandoanything
Oct 29, 2010

QueerPope posted:

I can never remember the name of it though because it was some weird blogname that had nothing to do with anything. Ithycalasus or something like that. Whenever I find it again I like to reread it because it's so good.

Slenderman works best in a visual medium. You can't just make MH: The Blog. You have to rethink what parts are going to be scary.

That would be Ichthyological and it is indeed quite good. It was discussed briefly in the last MH thread.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SMexicandoanything posted:

That would be Ichthyological and it is indeed quite good. It was discussed briefly in the last MH thread.

Seconding this, I read through that all in one go one night and it's very well done for an amateur blog job. Hell, if I were her(?) I'd take a crack at getting it published.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm still waiting for someone to make a more legit Slenderman series. You know, one that isn't a found footage/POV series.

FooBot
Aug 16, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

I'm still waiting for someone to make a more legit Slenderman series. You know, one that isn't a found footage/POV series.

It is only a matter of time before it makes its way to B movie fictions then maybe even to Hollywood, which I am sure would kill it for 90% of us.

Lriagan
Sep 13, 2011

FooBot posted:

It is only a matter of time before it makes its way to B movie fictions then maybe even to Hollywood, which I am sure would kill it for 90% of us.

We can all see a hope for a good MH movie, but at the same time we all know they will most likely give it to M. Night Shyamalan which will be the nail in the coffin.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Docjowles posted:

Ironically that is what has turned me off about a few of the Slenderman video series, like Angels' Game. They go to great lengths to appear to just be a normal guy going about life, and then oh yeah I saw this weird tall dude outside my window last night, pretty creepy huh? They'll go 3 entries with literally nothing happening except the guy talking about his homework or going for a walk. It works for a few 2 paragraph blog posts, not so much 30+ minutes of video.

Yeah, I understand what they're going for, try and sell you on the idea of it being "Real", but it's just not very conducive for storytelling. Marble Hornets immediately kicks off exactly what it's trying to do in the first video and every video thereafter is posting footage with something hinting at slenderman (or at least somethings not right about this).

EMH took a bit longer but the premise was entertaining to start instead of mundane garbage and it DOES at least put slenderman in the background enough to make you think this is going somewhere.

I cant remember how TT started but I'm pretty sure it also starts with the knowledge that something is wrong from the beginning.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I honestly think found footage is the best format for Slender Man, so even if a major Hollywood movie gets made about him i'd hope it's in that format. Different series handle this aspect of Slendy in different ways, but he's usually got the property of loving with cameras and electronic equipment. Subtle distortions and tears work much better in my opinion than suspenseful string cues as ways to prime an audience that poo poo Might Be About To Go Down, and part of the appeal of Slender Man in general is that he targets people who could be us and who are recognizably us. Giant loving dorks who go around with cameras and have a reaction of "Oh gently caress scary poo poo!! ... but also kinda cool, I should keep filming". There are some conceits that MH uses that would absolutely not work in a feature film, e.g. 8-minute exploration entries with little if anything in the way of terror payoff, but I feel like it's the best reference point for making a full-fledged Slender Film.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

I cant remember how TT started but I'm pretty sure it also starts with the knowledge that something is wrong from the beginning.

IIRC it's exactly like Marble Hornets, kind of laughably so (before he took things off in his own direction). "I have these old tapes I almost forgot about. When I watched them there was a bunch of creepy poo poo I don't remember. Here's the footage."

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

SMexicandoanything posted:

I read this whole thing in about an hour, today. Pretty fun read! Dunno why some of it scared me a little, but the creep factor was there.

Least productive day at work ever.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
What are you doing in this antique mall, Slendermom?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Being fabulous, obviously.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Helping Slenderkid find some new pants for school. Gotta look sharp on the first day!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fun article on Giant Bomb about the game "Slender" and the origins of our favorite be-suited nightmare.

QueenOfMistakes
Feb 22, 2007

Kittens are tasty.
According to Facebook, Tim and Joseph were involved in a car crash last night. Neither is hurt, but Tim's car apparently got totalled. Might be a little bit longer before the next entry is out.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Holy poo poo. It's good to hear that they're okay.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Did they crash because they swerved to avoid hitting a talk skinny dude in a suit? :tinfoil:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Holy poo poo! I'm so glad to hear they're okay! Sending good thoughts their way :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMexicandoanything
Oct 29, 2010
From the facebook pictures, it looks like Alex had one of his rages and decided to flip a truck a couple times. Tim's car was just collateral damage.
Good thing there weren't any rocks around :ohdear:

• Locked thread