Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
OMF2097 is the greatest fighting game ever and every day I pray for a remake/true sequel. I say that with only a slight amount of tongue in cheek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Battle Gundam doesn't have panty shots :colbert:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RksMkmCELRg

I dunno why I found this so funny, but there you go.

"Footsie who?"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I was going to mention how ClayFighter never had any panty and tits in it but then I remembered Helga.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Clearly, Tech Romancer is the best fighting game by virtue of having every giant robot anime ever made incorporated into its story.

No, but seriously, VOOT or :frogout:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

I was going to mention how ClayFighter never had any panty and tits in it but then I remembered Helga.

You also forgot Sumo Santa.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Goodpart posted:

OMF2097 is the greatest fighting game ever and every day I pray for a remake/true sequel. I say that with only a slight amount of tongue in cheek.

It was my first fighting game, and I still play through tournament mode every other month or so.

I also played it on my first "stick":

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Oh my god I remember those gamepads.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, remember that Accent Core Plus console version that was supposed to be coming out? Well, it still is, but they're not gonna be updating it to +R until a while after it's released. Seems to me like they're pretty much yelling "Give us your arcade dollars, and we'll let you have +R on console!"

Oh well, whatever, better to have AC+ and a delay on +R than nothing I guess. :smith:

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

S-Alpha posted:

Well, remember that Accent Core Plus console version that was supposed to be coming out? Well, it still is, but they're not gonna be updating it to +R until a while after it's released. Seems to me like they're pretty much yelling "Give us your arcade dollars, and we'll let you have +R on console!"

Oh well, whatever, better to have AC+ and a delay on +R than nothing I guess. :smith:

I wonder how much demand there still is for the GG remake after P4A? I was interested before, but (IMO) P4A is a more fun and accessible ASW game, so I'm set. JoJo's will get a nostalgia buy out of me at least (provided it's based on the Arcade or DC version), but the GG remake seems like an easy one to pass up now. I was only a casual player when the series hit big though, so that has something to do with it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I still think Guilty Gear is a better game, and would like to see them continue the development of that series rather than doing P4U add-ons. I would kind of prefer a GGX3, but optimistically I guess +R could be a litmus test for whether a full sequel would be commercially viable.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'm not totally sure that Guilty Gear is a better game, tho it does have the better character designs. P4a does basically everything that guilty gear does, but in much clearer, and far more importantly, much more accessible fashion.

This doesn't mean I don't want to see more Guilty Gear tho.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

NecroMonster posted:

I'm not totally sure that Guilty Gear is a better game, tho it does have the better character designs. P4a does basically everything that guilty gear does,

:stare:

Is...is this an actual opinion that exists???

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

Static Rook posted:

I wonder how much demand there still is for the GG remake after P4A? I was interested before, but (IMO) P4A is a more fun and accessible ASW game, so I'm set. JoJo's will get a nostalgia buy out of me at least (provided it's based on the Arcade or DC version), but the GG remake seems like an easy one to pass up now. I was only a casual player when the series hit big though, so that has something to do with it.
Niitsuma confirmed this morning on Twitter that the game is based on the Dreamcast version.

Niitsuma also wrote that JoJo's will be available on PSN tomorrow the 21st at 1:00 PM Japan time and on XBL on the 22nd at 5:00 PM.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

NecroMonster posted:

I'm not totally sure that Guilty Gear is a better game, tho it does have the better character designs. P4a does basically everything that guilty gear does, but in much clearer, and far more importantly, much more accessible fashion.

This doesn't mean I don't want to see more Guilty Gear tho.

I don't really think assigning every mechanic you can think of to a random 2-button combination is any better or clearer than giving your characters moves that people can figure out how to use organically.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Guilty Gear also had piles of updates to make it one of the best fighting games there was. XX was fun but not good. X was like... uhhh... a pretty weird game.

P4A with like 2 balance updates, 5 or 6 more characters and an extra button might end up being one of the best fighting games of all time. Currently it's in the realm of pretty drat good and it's gotten zero updates to make it better besides a small patch.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Brosnan posted:

I don't really think assigning every mechanic you can think of to a random 2-button combination is any better or clearer than giving your characters moves that people can figure out how to use organically.

Are you implying that it makes things less clear?

Besides, all the "random" button combinations are far from being a big part of what makes the game so very very good.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

NecroMonster posted:

Are you implying that it makes things less clear?

Besides, all the "random" button combinations are far from being a big part of what makes the game so very very good.

The game really needs an extra button because pressing some button combos is awkward and it allows them to give the characters a bit more variety in their play which IMO they need a bit of.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Waterbed posted:

The game really needs an extra button because pressing some button combos is awkward and it allows them to give the characters a bit more variety in their play which IMO they need a bit of.

Oh, I agree here, but implying that using button combinations for seperate and clear actions would make the game "less clear" doesn't make a lick of drat sense.

Anyway, it's difficult to actually say the game IS better than guilty gear because while this game does a lot of things guilty gear does as well as guilty gear, while making them easier to do and understand, the status effects and personas make it a very different game anyway.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

NecroMonster posted:

Oh, I agree here, but implying that using button combinations for seperate and clear actions would make the game "less clear" doesn't make a lick of drat sense.

Anyway, it's difficult to actually say the game IS better than guilty gear because while this game does a lot of things guilty gear does as well as guilty gear, while making them easier to do and understand, the status effects and personas make it a very different game anyway.

it is difficult to say that p4a is better than gg because its blatantly wrong, and the only way you can feel that way is by not having a clue about what you're saying

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Waterbed posted:

Guilty Gear also had piles of updates to make it one of the best fighting games there was. XX was fun but not good. X was like... uhhh... a pretty weird game.

P4A with like 2 balance updates, 5 or 6 more characters and an extra button might end up being one of the best fighting games of all time. Currently it's in the realm of pretty drat good and it's gotten zero updates to make it better besides a small patch.

I started writing this exact post when someone compared P4A to GG recently and abandoned it because I didn't want to look like I was trolling the new game but if people are gonna bring it up I'll gutlessly pile on. P4A is an alright game and it's kinda fun but this iteration feels very derpy/simple compared to Guilty or Melty, it's getting a free pass from people who know because people who don't know echo what they hear and nobody wants to kill an anime game that could have legs (fake edit: much like SF4 back in early 2009, it wasn't "cool" to hate on that game for at least a few months).

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I don't think people consciously avoided criticising SF4 so much as they just desperately wanted it to be good. I know that applies to me anyway.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The real success of P4U is that it manages to be the first first-iteration fighter from Arcsys that isn't completely loving busted in some way. So it's a pretty huge accomplishment.

Arcsys is also known to make some pretty huge changes to core mechanics between early revisions too so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot changed in the next version.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Honestly, I hope they just leave it alone at one version like they did with HnK. It's really fun right now, and I'd hate for them to have the chance to gently caress something up. Though with how popular Persona is right now, I doubt that's going to happen.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Mio Bison posted:

I started writing this exact post when someone compared P4A to GG recently and abandoned it because I didn't want to look like I was trolling the new game but if people are gonna bring it up I'll gutlessly pile on. P4A is an alright game and it's kinda fun but this iteration feels very derpy/simple compared to Guilty or Melty, it's getting a free pass from people who know because people who don't know echo what they hear and nobody wants to kill an anime game that could have legs (fake edit: much like SF4 back in early 2009, it wasn't "cool" to hate on that game for at least a few months).

Just because a game is slightly simpler, and this is pretty arguable from any standpoint outside of execution difficulty, doesn't mean it's a worse game.

This game is basically guilty gear, but easier to play, something that arcsys tried with blazblue and failed on just about every level.

The game hits a lot of the same notes of (air dash fighter) fundamentals, safe offense, hit confirms, blockstring pressure, okizeme, and meter management that guilty gear does, all while being significantly easier to play, that's a hell of an accomplishment.

Hyun.
May 8, 2008
Y'know, the rose colored glasses people have for Guilty Gear is getting a bit silly. I played Guilty Gear competitively, and I remember all the stupid poo poo about the game. It was a good enough game at the time, and it's still alright, but it wasn't ever this golden gift to fighting games people make it out to be. Are you sure it wasn't 'derpy'? Slayer had invincibility on literally everything with backdash cancels, and a command throw infinite in XX. Eddie, played properly, was almost inescapable 30-60%off a single blocked hit in every game but Slash. Faust had half screen safe near instant overheads in XX.

The mechanics were all over the place and unintuitive, too. Impossible Dusts, FRCs, four methods of blocking, jump installs, super jump installs, clean hit. All of those were loving nonsense.

hyung
Jul 22, 2012
I don't think games such as BlazBlue, P4A, and Guilty Gear will ever be very popular outside of Japan because many people don't want to associate themselves with anime fighters.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

hyung posted:

I don't think games such as BlazBlue, P4A, and Guilty Gear will ever be very popular outside of Japan because many people don't want to associate themselves with anime fighters.

Is this comment apropos of anything or...?

If you're talking in competitive terms, GG already was pretty popular and P4A looks set to be the biggest anime game ever right now. In the wider gaming world, BB was pretty drat successful (sold over 1.5 million copies worldwide across all versions I think?) and P4A probably will be too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Can someone please give some thrashing criticism of P4A so I feel better about not being able to get it until sometime next month? If TTT2 just doesn't gobble up all my free time and make me forget P4A even exists that is.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AndyElusive posted:

Can someone please give some thrashing criticism of P4A so I feel better about not being able to get it until sometime next month? If TTT2 just doesn't gobble up all my free time and make me forget P4A even exists that is.

IT'S SO ANIME MAN it's also not Marvel and...

...I'm drawing a blank on anything else, really. I really wanna pick that game up but being in college and unemployed means the only way I'm buying that is if I sell my console, hehe.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Its pretty simple I guess.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

It's a decent game. The best 2D game released commercially since KOF XIII. But with actual functioning online.

That's the extent of my criticism. So take that I guess.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 21, 2012

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It costs 60 USD.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Just give me a new GG. That might actually birth a competitive scene here.

EU will have to wait for P4A anyway and I don't know many people who are big fans of Persona in general.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

AndyElusive posted:

The netcode is pretty mediocre. It's functional and if you've got people close to you it'll work alright. But it's far from GGPO good still, and if you play a character with any tight links it'll probably get on your nerves.

The game also has some stupidly bad matchups and there's some really stupid stuff that could use some tweaking.

And yeah, GGX1 and GGX2 were both pretty horrifically broken. Not counting GG1 (which was also horrifically broken), it took GG until it's third revision when it really started to come together. And even then, #R has some preeeeeeetty broken poo poo in it.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that everything is done with seemingly arbitrary combinations of 2 buttons is kind of odd, but that's seriously the only criticism I can come up with at the moment.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
It's a cool game so play it if you like it.

It's still not as fun as Melty or AH3 though.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

AndyElusive posted:

A lot of people who still play blazblue in the year 2012 don't like it as much as blazblue (these people's opinions are, of course, not to be trusted)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Nerokerubina posted:

A lot of people who still play blazblue in the year 2012

Not a problem, these people don't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
I meant a lot as in "a percentage of blazblue players", so like three.

• Locked thread