Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kharmakazy posted:

Or you could.. I don't know.. neutralize the acid with a base.

You're trusting that most people will have a proper acid and a proper base, and know how to use them? Versus an off the shelf product specifically formulated to apply different aging effects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Kharmakazy posted:

Or you could.. I don't know.. neutralize the acid with a base.

Ok I've got my hydrochloric acid and my bleach, will post a trip report later to tell you how it goes.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You're trusting that most people will have a proper acid and a proper base, and know how to use them? Versus an off the shelf product specifically formulated to apply different aging effects?

I would hope they had sense enough to test whatever they were doing on something they don't mind being ruined first. But honestly you don't really need a "proper" acid and base. It's just a matter of testing, and altering dilution and duration.

This applies equally to the off the shelf products. You don't want to trust it to do what you want without some testing first... not with something you are going to be pissed off about if you ruin it.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Quarex posted:

"Nice weathered Desert Rangers badge, Quarex!"
"Thanks, I controlled-dripped acid onto it."
"Don't you angrily complain whenever the temperature gets over like 70 degrees?"
"..."
"I just don't see how you would make it as a Desert Ranger."
"I was in a Russian sauna one time."
"Maybe you should join the Fat Ice Rangers?"
"Who am I even talking to right now?"

Thanks Quarex, for always making me laugh all of the time.

Seriously, never stop posting. :swoon:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Aww, shucks, Nails. :blush: What a nice inadvertent birthday present!!!

I have been following the "nobody is actually reading what you write" posting rule for like 15 years, and it is always nice when it turns out someone is!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Alright belt bucklers: $8 domestic shipping, $12 outside the US. Paypal the same address as before, and make sure you enter your shipping info.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Double post again:

Fargo just posted this LA area music track from the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX6MA7WF8YA

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

Sounds suitably foreboding and I'm sure it'll ramp up the tension during gameplay. Cool stuff!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

drat thing keeps erroring out on me :( Is it up on any other site, like Blip?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kharmakazy posted:

I would hope they had sense enough to test whatever they were doing on something they don't mind being ruined first. But honestly you don't really need a "proper" acid and base. It's just a matter of testing, and altering dilution and duration.

This applies equally to the off the shelf products. You don't want to trust it to do what you want without some testing first... not with something you are going to be pissed off about if you ruin it.

:science:post if there ever was one and I love it. Almost as much as I'm loving that Mark Morgan track.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

RagingBoner posted:

Alright belt bucklers: $8 domestic shipping, $12 outside the US. Paypal the same address as before, and make sure you enter your shipping info.

Payment sent for int. shipping!

Now to get a hat for my belt buckle.

PSI-5 fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 16, 2012

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

RagingBoner posted:

Double post again:

Fargo just posted this LA area music track from the game:

On its own it's not much, but I'm sure it will be fine in the background while I'm playing the game.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

RagingBoner posted:

Double post again:

Fargo just posted this LA area music track from the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX6MA7WF8YA
I dig this a lot.

Also, someone in the comments on Facebook linked to this, which I'd never heard before. It's pretty eighties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWIvEZUn_xQ

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

RagingBoner posted:

Double post again:

This is pretty great!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Woebin posted:

Also, someone in the comments on Facebook linked to this, which I'd never heard before. It's pretty eighties.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWIvEZUn_xQ

You used to be able to get a high-quality MP3 of that from No Mutants Allowed, but it seems like it's disappeared.

I have the CD that's on and can rip that track with LAME if anyone's interested. I'm not sure if that's technically :filez: and if so I don't want to do it, but it's a pretty nifty little piece of Wasteland history I don't mind sharing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Music sounds awesome, also game looks awesome. Can't wait!

By the way, was there ever a mention of getting a DRM-free copy if you backed the kickstarter? I paid up for the limited edition boxed version as well as a digital copy but can't remember the specifics...

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Convex posted:

Music sounds awesome, also game looks awesome. Can't wait!

By the way, was there ever a mention of getting a DRM-free copy if you backed the kickstarter? I paid up for the limited edition boxed version as well as a digital copy but can't remember the specifics...

iirc correctly you get the boxed copy plus a drm free and/or steam copy as well. I think, think that based on my pledge, I'm due three copies, but I may have misread.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

RagingBoner posted:

I thought you said they were all paid for?

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They do, and they work better because they can be controlled. Dipping something in acid is fine at first, but even if you scrub it thoroughly some minute particles of acid will remain, and your belt buckle will fall apart in 6 months.

Are you sure about this? Acid quenching is not uncommon in various kinds of metal forging processes for items that are expected to last a long time (like swords, fancy engraved or etched steel thingies, etc.).

This seems to be the industrial version of the process.

Al! posted:

Ok I've got my hydrochloric acid and my bleach, will post a trip report later to tell you how it goes.

I the cut of your jib, Al! You will be missed.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 16, 2012

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Teim posted:

People paid for the buckles to get them made, not for the shipping. I didn't even want one and I know this!

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

MrL_JaKiri posted:

People paid for the buckles to get them made, not for the shipping. I didn't even want one and I know this!

Same. Pretty sure he needed to have them to determine shipping.

Teim posted:

If you don't want it, I'll buy yours. :D

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Something screwy is going on. Check Brian Fargo's twitter.

Multiple Tweets posted:

I wanted to send a note that by the end of the day today, OnLive as an entity will no longer exist. Unfortunately, my job and everyone was included. A new company will be formed and the management of the company will be in contact with you about the current initiatives in place.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Synastren posted:

Something screwy is going on. Check Brian Fargo's twitter.

InXile and Wasteland 2 isn't connected to OnLive in any way, is it? It looks like he's just retweeting it, or tweeting about what's going on with OnLive or whatever the dumb twitter terminology is.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Tufty posted:

InXile and Wasteland 2 isn't connected to OnLive in any way, is it? It looks like he's just retweeting it, or tweeting about what's going on with OnLive or whatever the dumb twitter terminology is.

Yeah, his last tweet was "BTW I don't work at Onlive so it doesn't affect me or Wasteland 2"

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Slate Action posted:

Yeah, his last tweet was "BTW I don't work at Onlive so it doesn't affect me or Wasteland 2"

It would have been really nice if he would have pointed out he was c/p'ing a message from someone else, instead of confusing me (and I'm assuming others?) with that.

:saddowns:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It turns out that it was fake anyways.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Even though OnLive is not connected to inXile nor Wasteland 2 I hope they stay because I want to see where will they take the new model of gaming. Nothing for me since everything is blurry even to my not very sharp eyes but it's impressive nonetheless and might get better in the future.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

It's not fake.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Smol posted:

It's not fake.
Apparently not, as they've laid off 50% of their staff and gotten bought out by someone. Which makes me feel bad as I just got SPAZ from them for free :smith:

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

RagingBoner posted:

Just sent you mine, sorry if it's super late. If there's anything wrong just let me know.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I just wanted to chime in (way late) that I chipped in for Wasteland 2 and that it's fantastic to see a sequel being made for what was my favorite game growing up. I still replay it every couple years, though I'm sure nostalgia provides some tolerance. All the interest warms my bitter old gamer heart.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That song is boss. Sounds great, and the little snippet of radio/whatever chatter is exactly what I needed in my life right now.

That song reminds me of (no, this is not the new "Mark Morgan steals music!!!" just a thought) Depeche Mode's "To Have and To Hold" in an awesome way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CEQOjCl-AA

Edit: Reading the comments on that video has enlightened me that the dialogue is Russian, saying "Reports in the evolution of nuclear arsenals is considered social psychological problems of the arms race" repeatedly. Um, hello, perfect.

Twobirds posted:

I just wanted to chime in (way late) that I chipped in for Wasteland 2 and that it's fantastic to see a sequel being made for what was my favorite game growing up. I still replay it every couple years, though I'm sure nostalgia provides some tolerance. All the interest warms my bitter old gamer heart.
:iamafag:

Heck yes.

Everyone will surely be glad to know that we sold a copy of the PC version of Wasteland at the Gen-Con Auction for a whopping $18! Well, I figured it would get at least $25, but, you know, considering most 1980s/1990s DOS games were selling for $3 or not selling at all, that still says a lot about this crazy little corner of the CRPG world.

Plus, in addition to some random dude screaming THAT'S THE BEST GAME EVER! (probably RagingBoner, even though I know what he looks like and it was not him), when I mentioned the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter and this forum there were at least three or four people who cheered. I have absolutely no idea if they knew what I was talking about, but clearly either Kickstarter or Wasteland 2 or the concept of fundraising is exciting.

Also I need to buy a belt with which to wear this sweet-rear end buckle. Sorry R-Bo for not having a picture of myself with it yet!!!

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

Brian Fargo just posted this enemy portrait from Wasteland 2 on Twitter.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Bastastic posted:

Aw, it's Rex, he's so adorable! Here boy! Here b-AHHHH FUUUUUUUUCK GET IT OFF ME

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
That dog needs some doggles.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Full resolution here:

https://p.twimg.com/A01pLt7CQAE1ZoC.jpg:large

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
D'aww, he's got a little bell on his collar. :3:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I love how easy it is to trace the evolution of that beautiful Wasteland Dog picture from the original Pinterest clip of the winner of the world's ugliest dog competition.

Wasteland 2: Built By The Internet, Of The Internet.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Smol posted:

That dog needs some doggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bastastic posted:

I'm going to have nightmares forever. :stonk:

• Locked thread