Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
If a tree falls in a forest, and only the BlazBlue and SFxT communities were there, would it make a sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande

The Rokstar posted:

If a tree falls in a forest, and only the BlazBlue and SFxT communities were there, would it make a sound?

:golfclap:

I almost want to throw Skullgirls in there too but I still believe in it

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

xan! posted:

:golfclap:

I almost want to throw Skullgirls in there too but I still believe in it
Me too man, me too

:sigh::respek::sigh:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Skullgirls is getting an exhibition at MLG this weekend alongside VF, isn't it?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Skullgirls is getting an exhibition at MLG this weekend alongside VF, isn't it?

Yes! But if it's the same format as the VF exhibition it will be very weird.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/...-championships/

quote:

• Play in B-o-3 matches, winner stays at the station till they're defeated. Re-enter as often as you like

• On Saturday, the players with the two longest streaks will play in the Finals on the Fighting Games Main Stage

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

NecroMonster posted:

Just because a game is slightly simpler

I think it's simpler to the point that it's an inch deep. The reason why the tiers are so close in revision 1 is because the handful of characters are significantly simpler than Guilty or even Melty characters and there's very little invention in the player base besides feeling out matchups and optimizing combos, the level of sandbox and dirty stuff is about as low as SF4. The neutral game in most MUs lacks tension and I think the pace of the game is hurt by how huge the screen is, short pressure strings with telegraphed endings, the unimaginably lovely knockdowns and universal defensive options (universal burst, dead angles, rolls, very strong metered and non-metered reversals). Aigis/Mitsuru/Yu having offense so stupid they make Slayer look like a loving genius doesn't help but top tier isn't the fundamental problem.

I mostly rolled my eyes at Slash and dropped GG at AC because it was so needlessly bloated and they wouldn't stop touching poo poo so anyone talking about false complexity idols can go pound sand. What was important in XX was for all that game's problems (and no one has mentioned what I see as the most important ones) it brought the hype in a way that I'm not feeling in P4 and I don't see in anyone else playing it. There's a lot of "oh, this game is pretty good" and none of the slavering obsession that you could/can see in the core fanbases for ST, Marvel 2, XX, Melty, 3S, KOF... just based off of that lack of big enthusiasm I would wager money that P4A would be on its last legs in a year if ArcSys stopped supporting it but fat chance of that.

The sad part is that P4A is my favorite game this generation that anyone else actually plays because there's a good foundation there and big boy combos are still important and strike the right balance between "work" and "satisfying". If I really hated the game I'd ignore it, as-is I think there's a lot of missed potential that I want them to bring out with another revision.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Hyun. posted:

Y'know, the rose colored glasses people have for Guilty Gear is getting a bit silly. I played Guilty Gear competitively, and I remember all the stupid poo poo about the game. It was a good enough game at the time, and it's still alright, but it wasn't ever this golden gift to fighting games people make it out to be. Are you sure it wasn't 'derpy'? Slayer had invincibility on literally everything with backdash cancels, and a command throw infinite in XX. Eddie, played properly, was almost inescapable 30-60%off a single blocked hit in every game but Slash. Faust had half screen safe near instant overheads in XX.

The mechanics were all over the place and unintuitive, too. Impossible Dusts, FRCs, four methods of blocking, jump installs, super jump installs, clean hit. All of those were loving nonsense.

idk i cant ever tell if posts like these are trolls. talking about guilty gear while ignoring the latest revisions makes as much sense as talking about how broken marvel 1 is when talking about marvel 2. claiming that things like impossible dusts and jump installs detract from the game experience is equally absurd. yeah these things are unintuitive but honestly how many players are learning games solely with their intuition? this isnt 1994, and information sharing on the internet has made it so anyone who wants to get serious turns to the internet to help them get better - they dont spend time intuiting every nuance of every fighting game engine they want to get good at. reading about combos or looking up a match video is no different than reading about jump installs.

i think the reason that people like GG is that every character has something to bring to the table and the game supports a wide variety of different playstyles and offers something for every level of play. you sound like a wiener.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo Gwyrgyn or other doujin players, is Yatagarasu any good? I'm told that an international release is gonna be announced very soon (for 3DS).

Jmcrofts posted:

Yes! But if it's the same format as the VF exhibition it will be very weird.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/...-championships/

MLG is always pulling weird crap like this, so it wouldn't surprise me. They're getting a little better, but not much.

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande
Yeah, entirely unsurprised MLG found yet another way to kill hype around fighting games. First, it was 20 minute waits between matches. Now, it's more frequent matches, but with no sense of importance or consequence because there's no bracket.

Sundance :allears:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo Gwyrgyn or other doujin players, is Yatagarasu any good? I'm told that an international release is gonna be announced very soon (for 3DS).

It plays like 3S. There's a character who's basically Dudley with Genei-Jin, which I grinded some dumb combos with for a bit. So if you want to play slightly different 3S, it's cool.

Otherwise no.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Mio Bison posted:

There's a lot of "oh, this game is pretty good" and none of the slavering obsession that you could/can see in the core fanbases for ST, Marvel 2, XX, Melty, 3S, KOF... just based off of that lack of big enthusiasm I would wager money that P4A would be on its last legs in a year if ArcSys stopped supporting it but fat chance of that.

This is an interesting assessment. From what I can see, this game has generated at least as much hype and enthusiasm as KOF13. This is a bit of a tangent, but do you feel the same way about that game as well?

I've enjoyed the Persona series in general so that makes me biased when judging intangibles like hype and player obsession, but I do really like this game. Whether or not there is enough to the game to hold hardcore fighting game players, I can't really say. For it's part, I still think P4A is a pretty solid game.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I haven't played the game yet THANKS EUROPE but it does look pretty simple and the offense of some characters (Chie/Yu/Mitsuru) looks really loving braindead. The game seems to shine most when none of those characters are onscreen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I haven't played the game yet THANKS EUROPE but it does look pretty simple and the offense of some characters (Chie/Yu/Mitsuru) looks really loving braindead. The game seems to shine most when none of those characters are onscreen.

That has me wondering, has there ever been a case of characters being "banned" or heavily frowned upon in a game just because it makes the game more interesting that way? Basically just a game with a really solid, varied, and interesting mid tier, but a really stupid top tier that nobody likes. I guess Petshop in Jojo's is the closest I can think of and maybe O. Sagat.

Edit: vvvv Yeah, and Akuma, but I took that one as a given. I also am more talking about characters who aren't on the same level above the others as ST Akuma, but just aren't encouraged because they make the game boring.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 21, 2012

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
I think Akuma was softbanned in Super Turbo, and I'm sure there's other examples that I can't remember.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Akuma was always hardbanned in ST.

What chumbler is talking about are "softbans" (which aren't really bans at all) and O. Sagat is the quintessential example of that.

The only modern example I can thank that would probably be similar is Phoenix towards the very, very end of the lifespan of vanilla MvC3. There was never any "softban" for Phoenix but it was very nearly reaching toward it.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Akuma is banned banned in st.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I think well played Mitsuru is really interesting to watch, actually. She's still less interesting than most characters.

Chie is about as braindead as she appears. Yu is only kinda braindead at super high level but until then hes kinda braindead.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
Mitsuru's midrange game is pretty fun to watch but all that frametrappy 5b stuff is really boring. I guess Aigis is another character people accuse of braindead offense but she has to set up Orgia and even then her stuff looks kinda blockable on reaction? Plus it looks a lot more fun to do than the Chie/Yu stuff.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Pockyless posted:

Akuma is banned banned in st.

I remember a really hilarious tournament where Akuma wasn't banned, but if you hosed up the code you got stuck with whichever character you ended up with.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

NecroMonster posted:

It costs 60 USD.

This and the inevitable dropoff chart you can make in your mind in a few months when literally no one is playing it.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Broken Loose posted:

I remember a really hilarious tournament where Akuma wasn't banned, but if you hosed up the code you got stuck with whichever character you ended up with.

Usually the player who messed up the Akuma code got the Brown-colored Ryu.
Which basically led to people equating someone using Brown Ryu as a "lovely Akuma".

Brown Ryu specifically has his own card in SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters DS because of this.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I've also heard of a tournament where Akuma wasn't banned but you couldn't change characters, so if you hosed up the code you were disqualified because you chose a different character than what you signed up with.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

dane cook torrent posted:

This and the inevitable dropoff chart you can make in your mind in a few months when literally no one is playing it.

That's definitely not going to happen.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Every single anime player still around plays P4A now.

I don't think anything's going to steal its playerbase. I think it's going to have higher entrants than Blazblue did and stay strong if it gets updates.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Jojo's HD demo is out on PSN in the US now, XBLA tomorrow.

I downloaded it but I'm too scared to actually fire it up and see how it turned out. :smithicide:

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
I've been playing it for a short while. God, I forgot how difficult 2000-era Capcom games were.

Kakyoin and Mariah are pretty fun so far.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Veib posted:

I've also heard of a tournament where Akuma wasn't banned but you couldn't change characters, so if you hosed up the code you were disqualified because you chose a different character than what you signed up with.

This is actually how japanese ST tournaments tend to handle Akuma, I believe. That and you get dirty looks from everyone else.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

That's definitely not going to happen.

Isn't there some other 2D looming or am I wrong on dates? Literally anything could kill that game because of the name and Anime

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

dane cook torrent posted:

Isn't there some other 2D looming or am I wrong on dates? Literally anything could kill that game because of the name and Anime

Anime players play anime games. There's some overlap between the other 2d games and anime games, but there's not a lot.

This is the only anime game that's new and going to be new for a long time. It's also widely considered to be better than Blazblue by people who actively go to tournaments.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Has there always been a chance for Boingo to fall out from Hol Horse's DP, or is that new for Jojos HD?

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Trihugger posted:

This is an interesting assessment. From what I can see, this game has generated at least as much hype and enthusiasm as KOF13. This is a bit of a tangent, but do you feel the same way about that game as well?

I'm garbage at KOF so don't take me too seriously but I think KOF13 is great, very solid and fast-paced. I love how effective and safe pressure is in that game without feeling like it's overwhelming, it's way harder than Melty but I think it feels similar if that makes any sense. I could do without HD combos and people who know usually say they prefer 98/02 but I wouldn't talk trash about 13's gameplay.

Just comparing it to P4A I think 13 is faster, momentum matters a lot more and the bigger roster and team aspects help keep it fresh. It's a better spectator game (though neither is even close to Marvel IMO) and KOF has a core group of people who constantly play wingman for it, I don't think it's in any danger of getting huge but it's not going anywhere either.

P4A on the other hand is a very solid game with broader community support that also rewards skill but given how tiny the cast is and how little people have discovered so far it's hard to imagine the game evolving without some help from ArcSys. It's still challenging to play at a high level and it's definitely not bad, just kinda simple in comparison to some other similar games. Anyway if you enjoy P4A good on you and keep on playing, it's a great introduction to the subgenre and you'll have plenty of people to play and enough stuff to learn to keep you busy until the next revision if you're interested enough.

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Mitsuru's midrange game is pretty fun to watch but all that frametrappy 5b stuff is really boring. I guess Aigis is another character people accuse of braindead offense but she has to set up Orgia and even then her stuff looks kinda blockable on reaction? Plus it looks a lot more fun to do than the Chie/Yu stuff.

Orgia is cool as hell and I think Aigis mixups are fair given the number of defensive options available and the setup required but I don't think anyone can block her low/IOH/crossup shenanigans for very long and the reward of 4-4.5k for 25 meter is just too high. Put that together with the insane damage she can do if you pressure her wakeup in Awakening when she has 100 meter and you're looking at the devil child of early SF4 Sagat and a less derpy Viper, she will push your poo poo in and no life lead is safe. The only reason not to choose Aigis is that unless Arcsys has learned restraint while I wasn't looking they're gonna dismantle that loving robot in the next revision instead of cutting her damage so there may be an expiration date on that character being fun to play. Who knows though!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

redmercer posted:

Has there always been a chance for Boingo to fall out from Hol Horse's DP, or is that new for Jojos HD?

That's always been there.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Waterbed posted:

Anime players play anime games. There's some overlap between the other 2d games and anime games, but there's not a lot.

This is the only anime game that's new and going to be new for a long time. It's also widely considered to be better than Blazblue by people who actively go to tournaments.

That's good to hear repeated, wasn't entirely sure. I'm actually a huge fan of the RPGs but not sure about getting the game because of its lifespan, at least it's Internet Play lifespan.

The Balance Niggy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 22, 2012

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Brosnan posted:

I still think Guilty Gear is a better game, and would like to see them continue the development of that series rather than doing P4U add-ons. I would kind of prefer a GGX3, but optimistically I guess +R could be a litmus test for whether a full sequel would be commercially viable.

Low level thread necromancy here replying to two days old stuff, but since (based on BBCTCSCS2CSEXCP) it's obvious that Arc System Works wants the income, etc from a YEARLY rev (FUCKKKKK THISSSSSSS) I'd be more than happy to live in a world where they instead alternate every year between GG and Persona.

At least, based on what little I've played of persona.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
So far Jojo's HD is pretty good, it has the same "feel" as old Jojo's, except people are actually playing it right now. Come on, there aren't too many games where you can pick the Boston Terrier and stand a chance of not getting your poo poo pushed in.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
New DOA5 trailer:

http://youtu.be/jvHEHli3UYE

This one is really boring though.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Fayk posted:

Low level thread necromancy here replying to two days old stuff, but since (based on BBCTCSCS2CSEXCP) it's obvious that Arc System Works wants the income, etc from a YEARLY rev (FUCKKKKK THISSSSSSS) I'd be more than happy to live in a world where they instead alternate every year between GG and Persona.

At least, based on what little I've played of persona.

They need to do another HnK, I still play that regularly.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

uncleKitchener posted:

New DOA5 trailer:

http://youtu.be/jvHEHli3UYE

This one is really boring though.

Lisa is actually called Lisa if you don't pick a lucha outfit, that is pretty funny.

*ed*

Also this match, same dudes, better match cause Lisa stomps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzUSfISOwSw

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 23, 2012

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'm just glad they nerfed the really boring characters like Hayate and Helena. Now that Bass is the poo poo again, I might just get this for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

redmercer posted:

So far Jojo's HD is pretty good, it has the same "feel" as old Jojo's, except people are actually playing it right now. Come on, there aren't too many games where you can pick the Boston Terrier and stand a chance of not getting your poo poo pushed in.

As someone who never played the original, I enjoyed dicking around with the demo for a couple of hours, but 1600 msp on XBL?

Oh my car.
:negative:

• Locked thread