Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

gmq posted:

Any recommendation for unit/currency converter? Hopefully able to work offline (downloading the currency database over WiFi I guess). Free would be great.

I use Simple Unit Converter because even though it looks like a child's app it's still better looking than the other conversion apps.
It won't do currency offline though.

There's also ConvertPad and Unit Converter which are also free and probably do more but they're just loving hideous to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Scudworth posted:

I use Simple Unit Converter because even though it looks like a child's app it's still better looking than the other conversion apps.
It won't do currency offline though.

Doesn't support my currency (CLP, Chilean Peso) :smith:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If you have a data connection why would you not use Google's inbuilt unit converter, especially now that both the web and mobile versions have the neat buttons that pop up?

Plus if you've got a Jelly Bean device you can just ask Google what's [this] of [that].

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So apparently when I'm listening to music my phone can't receive calls? I don't know if this is something related to PowerAmp or Jelly Bean in general but according to my girlfriend she tried calling me yesterday at 6PM and continued to do so until 7PM. Not once did I receive a notification or anything saying that I received a call.

I can understand if it was a one time thing, as in she calls and the phone doesn't get it and I miss one call. But she called multiple times in that hour and I didn't get a single notification about it.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

FlyingCheese posted:

I'd love it if I could revoke certain permissions from select apps. Facebook doesn't need to know my exact location every time I run the drat thing. I hear Cyanogen supports this but I've got an Evo 3D and....

There's an app called SRT AppGuard that lets you do this, without root.

What it seems to do is take the program you just installed, decompile, analyze and modify the code, then install the modified version. Afterwards, you can revoke individual permissions from within AppGuard (although technically, it apparently simply stops that bit from working, it doesn't touch the actual permissions part of the OS). Downside is that it breaks automatic updates, but other than that, it works as advertised.
Of course, the app you modified might not work anymore, since revoking permissions sometimes breaks app. But it's worth a shot.

Ironically, the EULA of AppGuard doesn't permit modifying it in the same way you are using it to modify other apps. :v:

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I need an app that lets me use Gtalk and FB chat AND gives me audible notifications. The stock Facebook chat apps don't notify you audibly that someone sends you a message.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Used google wallet for the first time today. Felt entirely too nerdy pulling out my phone and putting it to the card swipe machine. Clerk watched me and asked what just happened. Said she'd never seen that before and I commented that neither had I. Not sure it will become a thing for me, but it was neat.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

Skeezy posted:

So apparently when I'm listening to music my phone can't receive calls? I don't know if this is something related to PowerAmp or Jelly Bean in general but according to my girlfriend she tried calling me yesterday at 6PM and continued to do so until 7PM. Not once did I receive a notification or anything saying that I received a call.

I can understand if it was a one time thing, as in she calls and the phone doesn't get it and I miss one call. But she called multiple times in that hour and I didn't get a single notification about it.

Have you tried calling yourself (from another phone)when listening to music to test this ?
Just to remove the human element :)
I receive calls when im listening to music/podcasts on a 2.1 eclair phone.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

rotaryfun posted:

Used google wallet for the first time today. Felt entirely too nerdy pulling out my phone and putting it to the card swipe machine. Clerk watched me and asked what just happened. Said she'd never seen that before and I commented that neither had I. Not sure it will become a thing for me, but it was neat.

This is me literally every time I use Google Wallet. People nearly poo poo their pants.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

b0nes posted:

This is me literally every time I use Google Wallet. People nearly poo poo their pants.

The clerk at the gas station dropped a "Aw hell naw" when I did it the other day. It is, legitimately, pretty cool to see.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

LastInLine posted:

If you have a data connection why would you not use Google's inbuilt unit converter, especially now that both the web and mobile versions have the neat buttons that pop up?

Plus if you've got a Jelly Bean device you can just ask Google what's [this] of [that].

What button? No Jelly Bean sadly.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Skeezy posted:

FWIW I got a call today while listening to music today with the stock play music app, using a GNex running jellybean.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
This is probably a stupid question but I want an app to access my tablet via CLI. Can I just use any terminal app? I'm pretty new to Android but not new to Linux so I'm not 100% sure on what I need to do this.
It'd be a lot quicker than connecting via adb using USB for some tasks for me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Skeezy posted:

If you are streaming music on a CDMA phone you won't be able to receive calls (voice *or* data). On a GSM phone, using wifi, or with local media playback it shouldn't be an issue.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Though if you're using an LTE/HSPA phone, that's not the case. As they do data over the 4G and voice over the 3G.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ilkhan posted:

If you are streaming music on a CDMA phone you won't be able to receive calls (voice *or* data).
CDMA smartphones can and will suspend data sessions to take incoming calls and text messages. In fact, since data sessions are kept active by default, this is almost always how calls/texts are received.

Also, some new CDMA phones support SVDO, which allows them to simultaneously use voice and data anyways.

This particular incident may have been a fluke. It's happened to me before, where the radio gets in a weird state and drops calls and texts but data works fine. For me it was fixed after a reboot, and only happened that one time (that I'm aware of). Quite disturbing though.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

b0nes posted:

I need an app that lets me use Gtalk and FB chat AND gives me audible notifications. The stock Facebook chat apps don't notify you audibly that someone sends you a message.

Light Flow allows you to set audible alerts (as well as vibration) for notifications along with LEDs. I've got it set up like that for Gtalk and it works pretty well.

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

parrhesia posted:

Light Flow allows you to set audible alerts (as well as vibration) for notifications along with LEDs. I've got it set up like that for Gtalk and it works pretty well.

I have LightFlow paid version. It's good, but quite flakey in my experience (Sprint Galaxy Nexus).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

I have LightFlow paid version. It's good, but quite flakey in my experience (Sprint Galaxy Nexus).

It worked pretty perfectly until Jelly Bean. Now it seems it needs to stay in memory, as if it isn't properly running as a service or something, but the author has indicated that he probably can't fix it so I guess there's more to it than that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gmq posted:

What button? No Jelly Bean sadly.
Go to Google and type "8 in to cm" or some other conversion.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

gmq posted:

Doesn't support my currency (CLP, Chilean Peso) :smith:

HandyCalc is what you need. It is primarily an advanced calculator (and is really good at that - I replaced my default calculator with it), but also supports unit / currency conversion. It has an option to update currency exchange rates once a day (or more frequently or less frequently) if data is available, so it will work offline for the most part.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

parrhesia posted:

I have the free version installed on my phone I wonder if you can do that with the free version.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I think the free version should work with Gtalk, but I'm reasonably sure you have to buy it to get it to work with Facebook as well. But it's not that expensive and personally, I think it's well worth the price for the notification LED function alone.
I can basically leave my phone on my desk completely silent and will still notice right away if I got a message, sms, mail or whatever else.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

parrhesia posted:

I think the free version should work with Gtalk, but I'm reasonably sure you have to buy it to get it to work with Facebook as well. But it's not that expensive and personally, I think it's well worth the price for the notification LED function alone.
I can basically leave my phone on my desk completely silent and will still notice right away if I got a message, sms, mail or whatever else.
I recently purchased it just to support the developer. I didn't really need the third party app support but the additional blink rate support is nice to have. I haven't noticed it not working well with Jelly Bean since the update to fix Jelly Bean support rolled out.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

b0nes posted:

Facebook Messenger most certainly does.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Evil Robot posted:

HandyCalc is what you need. It is primarily an advanced calculator (and is really good at that - I replaced my default calculator with it), but also supports unit / currency conversion. It has an option to update currency exchange rates once a day (or more frequently or less frequently) if data is available, so it will work offline for the most part.

HandyCalc is a really, really good app and I'm incredibly surprised it's not more popular.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
The Facebook app just updated. They finally added Coarse Location back in, and it looks like the loving thing FINALLY stopped polling GPS every time you launch it!

Also some poo poo about photos and events, I think...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

brc64 posted:

The Facebook app just updated. They finally added Coarse Location back in, and it looks like the loving thing FINALLY stopped polling GPS every time you launch it!

Also some poo poo about photos and events, I think...

Does it still throw in the Messenger and all that with it when you install?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does it still throw in the Messenger and all that with it when you install?

I think they stopped that a while back, but I have the standalone Messenger app installed anyway, so it's hard to tell...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

brc64 posted:

I think they stopped that a while back, but I have the standalone Messenger app installed anyway, so it's hard to tell...

I'll give it a try again. The GPS thing every day was starting to eat my battery but it's nice to see it's finally stopped.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

FWIW Light Flow (Lite, in my case) just got an update today to try and resolve the issue where swiping to dismiss a notification would kill the app. Not sure if it's fully fixed or not though, because I haven't dismissed anything since updating.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

FWIW Light Flow (Lite, in my case) just got an update today to try and resolve the issue where swiping to dismiss a notification would kill the app. Not sure if it's fully fixed or not though, because I haven't dismissed anything since updating.
Really? I saw the update but didn't see that in the changelog. That was my one complaint about the app (even though there were a few ways to avoid it becoming an issue).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Pandora updated and looks great but I still can't access my bookmarks :argh:

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

MrC posted:

The clerk at the gas station dropped a "Aw hell naw" when I did it the other day. It is, legitimately, pretty cool to see.

Same reactions for me. I've used it maybe half a dozen times and each time I say something like "Hey I heard there's this new way to pay using your phone, I'm going to try it out and see if it works". That usually softens the blow a little.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Does anybody else have trouble with Chrome Sync and SA? I'm logged into the forums on mobile Chrome, but if I go to Other Devices in mobile Chrome and click on a thread I have open, it'll act like I'm not logged in.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
The play store is showing me a "redeem" menu option now!

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Cruseydr posted:

The play store is showing me a "redeem" menu option now!

Me too. I wasn't sure if this was new or if it was because I have credit left from buying a Nexus 7.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

beerinator posted:

Me too. I wasn't sure if this was new or if it was because I have credit left from buying a Nexus 7.
They announced Google Play gift cards a day or 2 ago at Target, RadioShack, and GameStop.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/21/google-play-gift-cards-target-radio-shack-gamestop/

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Just an FYI, the Humble Bundle 3 for Android is live right now:

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Pay more than the average and you get extra games. Some really good games in here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Really? I saw the update but didn't see that in the changelog. That was my one complaint about the app (even though there were a few ways to avoid it becoming an issue).

It said, "change to help with jelly bean and swiping away the app from the tasks crashing the app".

• Locked thread