Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008

Veev posted:

Try and stay just a little bit away when you're not attacking. He doesn't like to be far away from you, so if he's content to just sit around while you back away he's probably preparing to shoot spells. His AI changes too to use spells more aggressively when he gets low (this may be false but I've fought him a couple times and it seems true).

It seems to be, I've never seen him cast anything above 60% hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ok so I think I am done with the Depths for the moment at least. Now I have a fat rear end soul bounty, two dead/evil eyes(I suppose this beckons me to turn full evil, right? Gravelord and all that), a key to proceed more down yet... no bonfire!

I don't want to go further down with 35k souls. Is there a hidden path back up or should I just use a bone?

Furthermore I either became better or the depths boss was a joke. 1 death followed by a flawless victory. No boss specific item though, I hope I didn't miss out on anything!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Does anyone else get the feeling in Anor Londo not that all the architecture is gigantic and grand and sweeping, but that you and the monsters are really tiny? Like even the giants are maybe a little shorter than the average human child. I got that weird impression based on just how gigantic everything is compared to cathedrals and the like that I've seen in real life.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I own and played the poo poo out of Dark Souls already for PS3 and I've been thinking about getting it again for PC. I never use controllers to play PC games but I would probably do so for this game. How reliable has Motioninjoy been for people with PS3 controllers? I do have a 360 controller but I hate it and would rather not have to use it.

Vaashila
Feb 4, 2011

I have a strange feeling about those eyes...

Khobra posted:

Any tips for Manus? I've gotten him to 1/4 health once but whenever he uses the spell that shoots forward I die. By the time I hit the pendant I'm dead cause it seems to happen so quickly.

Are you summoning Sif for the fight? The damage he does isn't great, but he saved my rear end a few times by getting the bosses attention so I could heal.

Mooks
Apr 18, 2007

Well! What is it!

AlternatePFG posted:

I think I got all of the carvings, except for the "I'm Sorry" one. Anyone know where that one is?

It's in the building with the chest containing the Dark Orb sorcery. An enemy on one of the ledges has it.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Vaashila posted:

Are you summoning Sif for the fight? The damage he does isn't great, but he saved my rear end a few times by getting the bosses attention so I could heal.

At least in my game, Sif literally can't hurt the boss. They can distract him though and when he's not on your rear end 24/7 he's actually pretty easy.

By contrast I think Solaire's AI has been improved or something. He managed to solo the centipede demon instead of loving off into the lava and dying.

Derkinstacker
Dec 30, 2008

Vaashila posted:

I don't think he can do any damage, all I've ever seen him do was distract the boss.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Rirse posted:

Tried this (and already tried 3074 above) and still getting summoning failed all the time. Guess I just can't have any online co-op. :smith:

If you have a xbox 360 and have set up upnp with XBL you may need to change what port you forward for GFWL because it could be conflicting with the XBL settings in your router.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us/support/pages/troubleshootingissues.aspx

Scroll down to port override to see what you need to edit in your registry to change the GFWL port. Edit: Use decimal for the DWORD so you know what the port is.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 27, 2012

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Veev posted:

At least in my game, Sif literally can't hurt the boss. They can distract him though and when he's not on your rear end 24/7 he's actually pretty easy.

"Hey, it's that dog!"

Well, now I know what the next gimmick run on my list is going to be.

Montez
Sep 15, 2003

Frog blast the vent cores!
More DLC questions: Did anyone manage to get the black dragon's tail yet? It seems like it's only ever in melee range for a second and it takes longer than that to run to it.

Might as well ask again: Anyone found a use for the Guardian's soul?

Too late now since I beat Manus, but where was Sif's summon sign? Was it in the arena with Manus or something?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I own and played the poo poo out of Dark Souls already for PS3 and I've been thinking about getting it again for PC. I never use controllers to play PC games but I would probably do so for this game. How reliable has Motioninjoy been for people with PS3 controllers? I do have a 360 controller but I hate it and would rather not have to use it.

Motionjoy has worked fine for me, especially since it's now a signed driver. You can emulate an Xbox 360 controller with it, which makes it compatible with most modern games without even needing to reassign the controls.

The only problems I've had is that you need to tell it to sync with your controller every time you turn on your computer, and that it can accidentally turn on any nearby PS3 if you don't manually de-activate it before you turn your computer off.

An added bonus is that montionjoy can use the pressure-sensitive buttons on the PS3 controller, which is useful in PCSX2 for games that use them.

I've since switched to a Logitech F510, because it has rumble, a great d-pad, and the ability to use either DirectInput or XInput, the former being better for button-to-key mapping and emulators.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Montez posted:

Too late now since I beat Manus, but where was Sif's summon sign? Was it in the arena with Manus or something?

Yeah its on the left behind from where you start the fight.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Montez posted:

More DLC questions: Did anyone manage to get the black dragon's tail yet? It seems like it's only ever in melee range for a second and it takes longer than that to run to it.

Might as well ask again: Anyone found a use for the Guardian's soul?

No uses for the guardian soul, can't even trade it to snuggly like Manus's soul. I think there's one guy going around maxing out all the covenants to see if you can use it like gwyn's, nut no luck yet. Sif's sign appears after the fight with Manus starts, you only have to activate it, there's no confirmation for it, so you don't get murdered while you summon them.

Seer235
May 13, 2011

Al! posted:

Does anyone else get the feeling in Anor Londo not that all the architecture is gigantic and grand and sweeping, but that you and the monsters are really tiny? Like even the giants are maybe a little shorter than the average human child. I got that weird impression based on just how gigantic everything is compared to cathedrals and the like that I've seen in real life.

The gods are giants.

Heck, just look at the Witch of Izalith in the opening cutscene.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

havenwaters posted:

If you have a xbox 360 and have set up upnp with XBL you may need to change what port you forward for GFWL because it could be conflicting with the XBL settings in your router.

http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us/support/pages/troubleshootingissues.aspx

Scroll down to port override to see what you need to edit in your registry to change the GFWL port. Edit: Use decimal for the DWORD so you know what the port is.

Actually I somehow managed to summon someone after going to Window 7's Firewall setting and putting Dark Souls in both public and private (it was set for private only).

Also loving this game with MotionInJoy, as I am too used to playing Demon Souls to use a 360 controller on this game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Hahahahahaha.

Hahahahaha.

Hahaha.

:(

I spent something like 2 hours last night struggling through the Depths, hating every minute, dying to stupid things like the rat packs, and falling down holes. I forced myself through it, and felt so great at the end.

Today I made a new character to play with Bats, and ended up going ahead with him, got to Depths and just murdered the Butchers with fire, went down to the Giant Rat, killed him with fire to, then slid down to the Gaping Dragon entrance, Bonfire key in hand.

Took me maybe 5 minutes.

I love you Dark Souls.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
So after invading Anor Londo a few times, it looks like the PC players are putting their summon signs right outside the boss room.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Cinroth posted:

Parry and then do it.
Yeah, I can't parry for crap, online. Even with Ultragreatswords telegraphing years in advance, I can't account for latency. Which sucks because...

homeless snail posted:

Hope you find someone who's AFK and just keep on sucking. Bonus points if they have that infinite humanity trainer.

Doing it on a player who is actually awake and semi-competent is way trickier. You'll have to catch them while they're unaware, or knock them down and try to meaty it out of them.
After loving around, and doing silly stuff, like stacking poise, JUST right, so I can sort of pre-empt certain attacks, and simply eat the enemy hit after starting up the humanity suck-

Nope. They just roll away, after the strike trigger a full half second in advance. They will even take damage from the "attack", it just doesn't trigger the sweet sweet humanity grab.

It just needs to be a teeny tiny bit faster... guess they might need to make humanity easier to come by, but I have some ideas to make that work, and we're talking about vague overhauls of the network, so I'm just venting.

I did get one AFKer, though. :unsmith:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Hahahahahaha.

Hahahahaha.

Hahaha.

:(

I spent something like 2 hours last night struggling through the Depths, hating every minute, dying to stupid things like the rat packs, and falling down holes. I forced myself through it, and felt so great at the end.

Today I made a new character to play with Bats, and ended up going ahead with him, got to Depths and just murdered the Butchers with fire, went down to the Giant Rat, killed him with fire to, then slid down to the Gaping Dragon entrance, Bonfire key in hand.

Took me maybe 5 minutes.

I love you Dark Souls.

The entire time I was in the depths I lived by the mantra "nuke it from orbit, or conversely, Fire!"

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Had my first real taste of PVP today, when I got invaded in the forest. I defeated the first two at the same time (that made me cheer!), but the 3rd guy got me when I didn't have anymore Great Combustions to throw at his face. Fun!

Nunez
Feb 21, 2011
Does anyone have a good build suggestion for a dodging/backstabbing character, possibly with magic options?

I'm an old Demons' Souls vet, first time playing Dark Souls and I want something to shoot for right out the box.

TPSDude
Apr 7, 2011

Tank Goon

Dr. Abysmal posted:

How reliable has Motioninjoy been for people with PS3 controllers?
I've had no problems with it, the current release is just a simple install unlike the older ones where you have to gently caress around with drivers. All you need to do is run motionjoy, click the 360 emulator gumball and you're set for playing.

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012
I installed DSFix but for some reason the game is still letterboxed for me. Is that normal?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I have 3 silver knight spears but all I want is their stupid shield. I'm sitting on full +5 silver knight armor and also full +5 dark iron armor, and a +5 black knight shield so I've sort of ran out of things to upgrade and buy. Thinking of taking my old morningstar up the divine->occult path but white titanite is such a pain to get and I don't even have a fully upgraded occult halberd yet. My liiiiiife.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I've been running around with the cat ring on and haven't been summoned once. I'm pretty disappointed.

Also, they really needed to move the golden gate in the catacombs from just outside Nito's area to outside the entrance to tomb of giants.

That's just a big gently caress off to anyone who doesn't have the lord vessel yet trying to get down there. "You did all this work and went through one of the more difficult sections of the game, here's a big gently caress off wall. Have fun trying to go back."

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

AlternatePFG posted:

I installed DSFix but for some reason the game is still letterboxed for me. Is that normal?

Make sure you edit the config to set the internal resolution. Also turn off in-game AA.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

AlternatePFG posted:

Yes. The game is "locked" to 16:9

Nunez posted:

Does anyone have a good build suggestion for a dodging/backstabbing character, possibly with magic options?

I'm an old Demons' Souls vet, first time playing Dark Souls and I want something to shoot for right out the box.

Look into Ring of Fog, and Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring. Alternatively, you can go the magic route, and learn Hush, and Hidden Body, or any combination of the above. Should be noted, that Ring of Fog and Hidden body apparently stack, but I haven't had much experience with it.

Keep your weight under 25%. It can be almost impossible to strafe behind some enemies unless you have the fastest movement speed.

Hornet Ring is a good bet, as well. Just don't wear it all of the time. Just swap to it when you know you will need the additional damage.

Definitely go for a thrusting sword of some sort. They have some sort of hidden critical multiplier, so even those their crit bonus is listed as 1.3, compared to a bandit knife's 147, they will still gain more bonus damage.

Recommended, since you will be using a fast weapon, look into Magic Weapon. The damage bonus is flat, so a weapon with lower stamina cost will generally get more mileage. You need something like 25 INT for CMW, and you can just use Oolicile's Catalyst for a tiny bit more damage (also very little weight). It isn't the best, but a very good option for when you can not take advantage of backstabs or reposte.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Callick posted:

You can continue playing the game with M+KB just fine if you learn to adapt and have patience, but do know that having such a strong emotional attachment to the "idea" of M+KB versus Controller for a game BUILT with the 360 controller in mind is the definition of cognitive dissonance. You should play games with efficiency in mind, not principle. You'll have more fun if you just suck it up and learn to play the best way, ie with a 360 controller.

Yeah, no, the 360 D-pad is less precise than the PS3 D-pad when it comes to item management and is therefore inferior. And everyone knows that more people played the console version on PS3 anyway, so there's that.

But enough of that. The game is built for controllers, yeah, but :spergin: about "efficiency" over "principle?" That way lies madness. It's a matter of personal preference, no more, no less. I've been playing console games for many years before I got a decent gaming PC and I still prefer mouse and keyboard if given the option. And the only objective negative I've run across using M+KB is the fact that nobody in From Software knew how to enable mouse control in menus.

Japanese console-centric game development is weird.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
I've been fighting (DLC)Manus for a couple of hours now. He's a real wrecking ball. I'm only level 25, so I should proooobably level up and come back, but screw that, I got him within one hit of dying so I know I can do this. But I do less damage than Sif does per attack :(

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

AlternatePFG posted:

Flawless Widescreen fixes that.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
How do I loot (press "A")? I'm like stick in the first cell :(

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
X on PS3 controller or look up whatever is bound to "use" in the keybind menus if you're being sado-masochistic and playing with mouse and keyboard

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Ignimbrite posted:

X on PS3 controller or look up whatever is bound to "use" in the keybind menus if you're being sado-masochistic and playing with mouse and keyboard

Ughh thanks, I'm a console guy so this PC gaming thing is off for me.

I was using a mouse and KB. How can Io use my PS3 controller with my PS3?

edit: Should I be doing this: http://www.gamefront.com/how-to-use-a-ps3-controller-on-a-pc/ ?

Edit: VVV Thanks man!

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 28, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Boosh! posted:

Ughh thanks, I'm a console guy so this PC gaming thing is off for me.

I was using a mouse and KB. How can Io use my PS3 controller with my PS3?
Plug your PS3 controller into your USB port and use this:
http://www.motioninjoy.com/

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I've totally forgotten how to parry and riposte- I guess DS isn't like riding a bike :( But, on the plus side, killed the Asylum Demon first try! :cool:

AlternatePFG
Jun 19, 2012

Thanks, works like a charm.

And with both of those fixes, all my complaints about Dark Souls PC are gone. (Aside form hackers, but that's beside the point) Now to start NG+ and level my character ridiculously.

On that note, now that a couple popular soul farming techniques are gone, what's the best late game method to farm souls?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ignimbrite posted:

Actually the latest dsfix has removed two of the major problems with it. All it needs now is a fix for the autotargeting and it'll be absolutely fine to play.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

That loving Sned posted:

I've since switched to a Logitech F510, because it has rumble, a great d-pad, and the ability to use either DirectInput or XInput, the former being better for button-to-key mapping and emulators.
I use the Logitech F710, basically the same gamepad as your F510, but wireless.
I'd definitely recommend either one, since this is by far the best PC gamepad I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
What the heck? Do I really need gold membership to get the online options on the PC?

• Locked thread