Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
demons.
Apr 20, 2012

SilentD posted:

I'd actually advise going with alpha 3 instead of 2. I know it's not as good overall, but the custom combo's in two were so mashy it can really devolve quickly. At least with three you can avoid that by both going a or x mode and learn the game before switching to doofy rear end cc = win.

Your post is weird. If one doesn't want to deal with learning CC's in Alpha 2 (they're not hard) then it's not like one has to activate them they could just spend the meter on supers and alpha counters. And in either case it's not like it avoids your opponents from using them in either game. I don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

demons. posted:

Your post is weird. If one doesn't want to deal with learning CC's in Alpha 2 (they're not hard) then it's not like one has to activate them they could just spend the meter on supers and alpha counters. And in either case it's not like it avoids your opponents from using them in either game. I don't understand.

Alpha 3's ISM system is better if you are just trying to learn the game. CC's in A2 are far more powerful, far more derpy on how you can land them, and there isn't really a way around that.

I prefer A2, but I'd start with A3 first and makes sure you have that down.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

MY ANIME GF posted:

I played a leaked version with 4 characters and it was actually really intuitive mechanically and I had a lot of fun. After playing for 2 rounds me and my friend had figured out some cool triple relaunch into super air combos that were pretty satisfying to pull off. I don't watch the show but the pony who shoots the cupcake cannon and has a built in multihit-overhead as a command move that's mostly safe on block seemed unbalanced, otherwise it was a pretty solidly made game. It basically felt like a skullgirls clone with slightly less fluid movement and weird hitboxes because everyone was a horse.

The devs said that the leaked version was already out of date by the time it hit the public. Air combos are very finnicky though - the rule seems to be if you're falling downwards, you can tech out of a juggle.

Though if you really love Lambda, pick up the game. Rarity is a straight rip of her.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

SilentD posted:

I'd actually advise going with alpha 3 instead of 2. I know it's not as good overall, but the custom combo's in two were so mashy it can really devolve quickly. At least with three you can avoid that by both going a or x mode and learn the game before switching to doofy rear end cc = win.

The game feels like poo poo and has way more stupid degenerative bullshit. If you're going to play a gimped version of A3, why not just play a good game and play A2 or ST?

CCs are strong in A2 but they're not broken. You're suggesting that people at without 40 percent of what makes A3 the game that it is. (A lovely one.)

e: basically, if your problem is that one part of A2 is too good, why would you suggest a game and then tell someone not to learn an even bigger part of it?

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 27, 2012

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I completely disagree with SilentD. Alpha2 is actually a good game to start with and custom combos aren't as scrubby as he makes em out to be.

A3 is overrated anyway.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

interrodactyl posted:

The game feels like poo poo and has way more stupid degenerative bullshit. If you're going to play a gimped version of A3, why not just play a good game and play A2 or ST?

CCs are strong in A2 but they're not broken. You're suggesting that people at without 40 percent of what makes A3 the game that it is. (A lovely one.)

e: basically, if your problem is that one part of A2 is too good, why would you suggest a game and then tell someone not to learn an even bigger part of it?

I consider ST to be better all around than just about any other SF game, so you're not going to get an argument from me there. Reminds me I still need to pheonix my CPS2 boards.

I still think A2 is objectively worse in terms of CC tricks than A3 is, by far. Plus A3 gives you the option of completely avoiding that and getting used to the fundamentals of the Alpha series in a much better way. V-ism can be bad, but A2's mash and dash forward slamming one move and ease of the CCs tends to screw things up. When I'm introducing people to the Alpha series 2 just degrades into CCs way to fast. I find dropping people in x mode or a mode in Alpha three and letting them learn and play there before putting them in v-ism helps greatly.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

uncleKitchener posted:

There were actually a couple of bronies at MLG playing SCV, so yes, they do exist.
"Pronies."

Heren
Jul 11, 2012
Was reading a couple threads on shoryuken.com and various comments about the MLP thing online and apparently it plays a lot like an "anime" fighter but not everyone seems to have the same definition for the term. From my understanding it seems like a big difference is using a four button Light/Medium/Heavy/Special moveset instead of a six button High/Low setup. What's considered the definitive difference between Eastern and Western style fighters?

Despite only playing a few fighting games in my time it's great to read the theory behind the systems and I'm surprised at how knowledgeable some people really are about the mechanics behind it. Been great reading this thread so far.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008

hyung posted:

I wonder how many fighting game enthusiasts are actually fans of MLP. The concept of an MLP fighting game to begin with is just... it hurts my head. :shrug:

Sorry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ploRFtYksQc

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

SilentD posted:

I still think A2 is objectively worse in terms of CC tricks than A3 is, by far.

V-ism infinites.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
is playing a my little pony game really more embarassing than, like, arcana heart?

the answer is yes but I at least had to think about it a little.

The game seems like it plays alright though.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Still waiting on my next gen Bloody Roar and Killer Instinct games :(

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

interrodactyl posted:

V-ism infinites.

Not nearly as stupid as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aSlx5_ZLOU and other 1-2 move CCs in Alpha 2.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

interrodactyl posted:

V-ism infinites.

Do you understand the difference between low and high level play?

I can see what SilentD is saying, I still disagree though because I think A3 just feels like poo poo on a fundamental level. lovely/hosed up hitboxes on everything, fireballs suck, throws suck, stupid teching system that is difficult for new players to grasp, etc...

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 27, 2012

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nerokerubina posted:

is playing a my little pony game really more embarassing than, like, arcana heart?

the answer is yes but I at least had to think about it a little.

The game seems like it plays alright though.

Arcana heart is a Good rear end Game, this is merely a Game With Asses.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Heren posted:

Was reading a couple threads on shoryuken.com and various comments about the MLP thing online and apparently it plays a lot like an "anime" fighter but not everyone seems to have the same definition for the term. From my understanding it seems like a big difference is using a four button Light/Medium/Heavy/Special moveset instead of a six button High/Low setup. What's considered the definitive difference between Eastern and Western style fighters?

Well, "anime" isn't synonymous with "Eastern," since really almost every fighting game worth playing comes from Japan anyway. That aside, usually anime fighters have a stronger emphasis on fast movement options (air dashes, double jumps, super jumps, etc.), which tends to make the mixup game a little stronger, since high/low and left/right mixups become dead simple when you can instantly airdash over someone's head to start your offense. They also tend to have as many system mechanics as you can possibly cram in to one game, so there are all sorts of convoluted cancels and special supers and extra super special happy fun supers and whatever. There are also some secondary features that most anime games share, but basically if the screen is full of meters and everyone is airdashing a lot, it's probably anime.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Heren posted:

From what I understand, fighters with high mobility like airdashing and doublejumping, tall arenas, and fast pace count as anime fighters. For some reason Marvel doesnt count as an anime fighter though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gutcruncher posted:

From what I understand, fighters with high mobility like airdashing and doublejumping, tall arenas, and fast pace count as anime fighters. For some reason Marvel doesnt count as an anime fighter though.

Isn't it because the airdashes are universal, where a lot of characters in MvC3 don't even have a double jump?

Like for example, Tatsunoko Ryu would be anime-ish fighter, but MvC3 Ryu wouldn't.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Gutcruncher posted:

Marvel 3 is anime.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby
It also has a lot to do with the combo system as well. Specifically the light, medium, hard, special buttons and the ability to gattling and chain moves. It's not just about mobility and cancels. KOF has always had rolls, cancels in cancels, and doofy jumps but is not anime. Also it has to do with penalizing people for blocking and holding back.

GG, BB, HNK, P4A, Arcana Heart, all animu games in that group.

Marvel doesn't count because originally it was a six button configuration of l/m/h for most of the versus series. MVC2 changed that and MVC3 is widely mocked a TVC3 instead of MVC3, you'll hear people call it all sorts of things. Also the original games off the versus engine, Xmen COTA, and MSH were single player only games without a bunch of the BS that's in the current ones.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Marvel 2 isn't an anime game because it basically predates the whole genre. I would say "versus" games are similar to anime games in many ways, but are thought of differently because they evolved separately, and the extra characters/assists adds something to the game that you don't see in anime games.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gutcruncher posted:

Marvel 2 is part of that whole lineage of Versus / X-Men / Vampire games that anime games were born from.

EDIT: Possibly even literally. I've never been able to find a non-hearsay source for it, but I'm told that the founding members of Arc Systems had previously worked on those games for Capcom.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 27, 2012

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

EDIT: Possibly even literally. I've never been able to find a non-hearsay source for it, but I'm told that the founding members of Arc Systems had previously worked on those games for Capcom.

Arc System Works has been around since 1988, so that's not possible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lord Chumley posted:

Arc System Works has been around since 1988, so that's not possible.

Nice to have (dis-)confirmation, then. :)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
There's also the fact that Marvel isn't visually anime.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Brosnan posted:

Well, we can't all be perfect.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brosnan posted:

Morrigan.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Endorph posted:

Morrigan.
that's like saying marvel isn't anime because wolverine is in it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just a butt posted:

that's like saying marvel isn't anime because wolverine is in it.
Wolverine is anime as gently caress though.

EDIT:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Anime is every type of animation developed in Japan. Therefore, the only non-anime games are the Mortal Kombat series, Skullgirls and Divekick. I rest my case.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Divekick gets a lot of its imagery from anime staples too. And then there was one.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Marvel 2 is part of that whole lineage of Versus / X-Men / Vampire games that anime games were born from.

This is the case for VSav developers I believe, and the timeline does actually work out since VSav was released in 97.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
MvC3 plays a lot closer to your typical anime game than MvC2 I think.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

And so stands NetherRealm: the last true bastion for totally not anime, red-blooded American fighting games. :911:

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

AndyElusive posted:

And so stands NetherRealm: the last true bastion for totally not anime, red-blooded American fighting games. :911:

Make way for.... BONESTORM

To this day, I still wish Bonestorm were really real.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

BloodStorm has to come close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BloodStorm

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

AndyElusive posted:

Mortal Kombat is a 4-button game.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Death Cargo.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Super Rad posted:

Make way for.... BONESTORM

To this day, I still wish Bonestorm were really real.

I bet a Bonestorm Kickstarter would rake in tons of dough.

Pay for Bonestorm, or go to Hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Broken Loose posted:

Mortal Kombat is a 4-button game.

Plus block, so it's actually five, six if you're talking about UMK3.

• Locked thread