Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

jonjonaug posted:

It's not too hard to do. Just be patient. Make sure you have fastroll.

It's not too hard to do if you get lucky. Otherwise he'll just use the same attacks that don't expose his tail at all literally hundreds of times in a row no matter where you are in relation to him.

I guess if you have the fastroll you can use invincibility frames to get through the guaranteed damage breath attacks and fight him indefinitely? Even if I was dexterous enough to do that consistently, I still don't feel like fighting the same boss for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Wild Knight posted:

...That often? I guess the fact that it was relighting meant they couldn't connect, but it was seriously only lit about a fifth of the time I was sitting in that room.

Anor Londo sucks.

Either you or the invaders had their ports crappily set up :v:. Or possibly their servers are making GBS threads the bed(or is this system purely peer 2 peer with the server acting like a matchmaker?)

Btw what SL are you at right now? I need to visit that place myself and am wondering what level I need to be for jolly phantom smiting.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

I've been seeing an epidemic of "need head" signs.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The Quake posted:

It really is the Xbox version experience!

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Lork posted:

It's not too hard to do if you get lucky. Otherwise he'll just use the same attacks that don't expose his tail at all literally hundreds of times in a row no matter where you are in relation to him.

I guess if you have the fastroll you can use invincibility frames to get through the guaranteed damage breath attacks and fight him indefinitely? Even if I was dexterous enough to do that consistently, I still don't feel like fighting the same boss for an hour.

If you stay at a distance so you can juuuust sideroll away from his sitting breath attack, he'll do the low flying swoop quite regularly, and usually a tail slam will follow.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

The Quake posted:

Do we have a tag to write down yet?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Quake posted:

Also a dozen "amazing chest" or some variant signs before the princess's room.

edit: which are entirely accurate. Sadly the pun doesn't work in Japanese.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 30, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

I'm on a New Game +3 run now. I went through the entirety of the game up until S+O wearing nothing but the Symbol of Avarice in about 45 minutes.

Yea...with a huge rear end life bar.

Call me when you beat NG+7 with no points in vitality and with just your fists.

You ain't no hero!!!!!!!!!!

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

tractor fanatic posted:

If you stay at a distance so you can juuuust sideroll away from his sitting breath attack, he'll do the low flying swoop quite regularly, and usually a tail slam will follow.
Every time I do that he just uses the headbash/tailwhip. That's seriously all he does 99% of the time, even if I'm too far away/too close to be hit by it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sankis posted:

It's the cell door, right? Doesn't that lead up to the very top of the fortress? I want something like "You reached the third section of swinging blades! Kick this ladder down and get here from the entrance"

There is a bonfire near the top of Sen's Fortress that I believe a lot of people miss, or otherwise don't know about. Imagine the rooftop where the huge iron golem starts lobbing massive firebombs at you. On the second section of firebomb-able land, you want to turn away from the golem after climbing the small set of stairs and drop off of the edge.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Orv posted:

The opera singing butterfly is fairly tame on the weird scale of Dark Souls. Definitely my favorite song on the soundtrack though.

I blew it up with fireballs.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Can someone explain how summoning phantoms/getting summoned works level-wise again? This is the first time I'm doing a SL1 run, and before I was used to a standard level progression where I could both summon and be summoned for bosses. I've been trying to get summoned for the gargoyles fight (because I enjoy that one), but am I too low at SL1?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

I saw this one (Blighttown)before Chaos Witch Quelaag's room. I had never seen her before and had no idea what was coming so I burst out laughing at the cutscene.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

areyoucontagious posted:

Can someone explain how summoning phantoms/getting summoned works level-wise again? This is the first time I'm doing a SL1 run, and before I was used to a standard level progression where I could both summon and be summoned for bosses. I've been trying to get summoned for the gargoyles fight (because I enjoy that one), but am I too low at SL1?

Anyone trying to summon you will need to be at or below SL 11 or 12, depending on how Dark Souls does rounding. Basically it is Your SL plus or minus (10 + 15% of Your SL).

You might have better luck at the Taurus Demon.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've also seen those in front of Andre, and the Blighttown boss.

And if other localizations are anything to go by, "Need X" is meant to be a short version of "You need X". It's definitely addressing the reader in my language.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Anyone trying to summon you will need to be at or below SL 11 or 12, depending on how Dark Souls does rounding. Basically it is Your SL plus or minus (10 + 15% of Your SL).

You might have better luck at the Taurus Demon.

Hah, poo poo, I didn't even know you could get summoned for that. Do I put my marker down in front of the door or is there a better spot?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Edit: Nevermind, beaten it!

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 30, 2012

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

HenryEx posted:

I've also seen those in front of Andre, and the Blighttown boss.

And if other localizations are anything to go by, "Need X" is meant to be a short version of "You need X". It's definitely addressing the reader in my language.
Usually it is advice telling you that You Need X, yes, but things like "Need Humanity" and "Need Soldier" are typically left in common summoning locations and are meant by the person leaving them to mean "I Need Humanity" and "I Need Someone I Can Summon For Help".

areyoucontagious posted:

Hah, poo poo, I didn't even know you could get summoned for that. Do I put my marker down in front of the door or is there a better spot?
The best spots are probably going to be either at the beginning of the area, towards Firelink, or at the bridge near the bonfire. Most people who know how humanity works and want to make a boss run will probably be at the bonfire bridge. Near the boss door would probably work also.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

areyoucontagious posted:

Bonfire in the burg.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Just got out of Blight town and I'm left wondering if I should head to Sen's Fortress or some other places I haven't been to: some forest, graveyard, and Valley of the Drakes. I'm SL44 with 22Vit,26End,16Str,and 20Dex. Wonder if my equipment is up to par: using a +6 longsword with a grass shield I just found and wearing the Wanderer set, as I got tired of the plodding nature of the knight armor.

Been avoiding any guides; half the fun is me dying over and over till I find the right way to do things or luck out and 3 ogres fall to their death as I tried to run away.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Am I going to start having trouble summoning people? I've just beaten the Taurus demon with my naked, parry dagger wielding man and I haven't leveled up yet. Sitting at about 8k souls and hoping to get enough to afford to buy my way to the hornet ring.

I just want people to play with while I'm naked.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quixotic1 posted:

Just got out of Blight town and I'm left wondering if I should head to Sen's Fortress or some other places I haven't been to: some forest, graveyard, and Valley of the Drakes. I'm SL44 with 22Vit,26End,16Str,and 20Dex. Wonder if my equipment is up to par: using a +6 longsword with a grass shield I just found and wearing the Wanderer set, as I got tired of the plodding nature of the knight armor.

Been avoiding any guides; half the fun is me dying over and over till I find the right way to do things or luck out and 3 ogres fall to their death as I tried to run away.
Yeah, I think you should do the forest and the graveyard first, there's nothing to do in the valley of the drakes really.

And yeah, your equipment seems fine to me. Maybe upgrade the shield a bit.

edit:

Captain Ironblood posted:

I just want people to play with while I'm naked.
I dunno that sounds like a personal problem to me.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Quixotic1 posted:

You might want to farm up some Large Titanite from the slimes in Depths or the slugs in Blighttown to get your weapon to +10 before you go to Sen's. Basically everything you listed except Sen's is an optional area that can be done at any time, so you should be able to do most of them now if you want. Also, Valley of the Drakes is basically just a connector area between different zones. It doesn't really have a boss or anything to do there besides some loot and enemies to farm.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
So there's nobody who can help me?

I tried lightening my load to get to get the fastroll, but that resulted in me getting OHKO'd through my shield by the attack where he flies up and shoots his breath straight down.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

After getting as much item find as I could, the catacombs knight dropped the axe. Party time!

So a black knight greataxe, the greatshield of artorius, and the full black iron armor set have a combined weight of 72. Havel's ring, and the ring of favor and protection, and 40 endurance give you a weight limit of 144. I am telling you, this is meant to be. You get the medium roll.

This is what a strength badass should look like. I highly recommend it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I asked before, but I am finally thinking of replacing my nailbat, with another bludgeoning weapon. Like the president in Metal Wolf Chaos, I must follow my own justice, and my own justice at the moment is bludgeoning evil. What should I pick? Are there any DLC weapons I should wait for?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 30, 2012

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Mindblast posted:

Either you or the invaders had their ports crappily set up :v:. Or possibly their servers are making GBS threads the bed(or is this system purely peer 2 peer with the server acting like a matchmaker?)

Btw what SL are you at right now? I need to visit that place myself and am wondering what level I need to be for jolly phantom smiting.

Well, I'm playing at school, so I can't do anything about the ports. I haven't had trouble summoning on a few other nights though. I guess it was just the batch I was getting tonight. Oh well. I'll probably just end up charging Ornstein and Smough until I kill them on something like the 20th try and lose my 30k souls and 6 humanity in the process. :shrug:

SL is 54. I kinda feel like I need to go higher (specifically, pump some souls into Vitality) but I'm also afraid of losing access to phantoms that I might need.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I've put some hours into this and having a lot of fun, but it's a downer seeing how drat clunky these controls are when I'm used to Devil May Cry type stuff. What is the absolute most responsive way to play the game, dress light and use fist weapons?

Edit: Also is it my imagination or are people's heads to small for their bodies? The "small head" option seems super small and the "huge head" seems closer to proportionate.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 30, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

I've put some hours into this and having a lot of fun, but it's a downer seeing how drat clunky these controls are when I'm used to Devil May Cry type stuff. What is the absolute most responsive way to play the game, dress light and use fist weapons?
No, knives or rapiers would be faster and far more effective, and there are plenty of them.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Oh my god I hate you so much Tarkus.

Why would you nudge me off the edge right after the fog door. Why.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey PSO2 buddy, I'll trust your judgement since that's exactly the game I'm coming from. I'll make a rapier build then and pretend I'm Black Lotus from Bushido Blade.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Filthy Monkey posted:

After getting as much item find as I could, the catacombs knight dropped the axe. Party time!

So a black knight greataxe, the greatshield of artorius, and the full black iron armor set have a combined weight of 72. Havel's ring, and the ring of favor and protection, and 40 endurance give you a weight limit of 144. I am telling you, this is meant to be. You get the medium roll.

This is what a strength badass should look like. I highly recommend it.

I literally can't play this game without a halberd and fast roll. I've tried all manner of things, swords/spears/axes and various heavy armors and just can't take it :mad:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

anything to do there

I would seriously recommend new players to at least check out that area, starting at the New Londo Ruins entry into that zone.

Maybe there isn't a lot of progress to be made there, but I would hardly call it a zone void of interesting things.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Oh my god I hate you so much Tarkus.

Why would you nudge me off the edge right after the fog door. Why.

There can be only one, and that one is Tarkuuuuuuuuuus.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Running around the woods trying to kill sif at 18 and my experience fighting forest hunters is that they are all terrible, what a silly covenant. Though I think I may join them for the easy ring of fog, also because gravelord servant is a loving waste of time.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Gazaar posted:

Running around the woods trying to kill sif at 18 and my experience fighting forest hunters is that they are all terrible, what a silly covenant. Though I think I may join them for the easy ring of fog, also because gravelord servant is a loving waste of time.

Gravelords has always, unfortunately, been broken as poo poo. The only real reason to ever join them is for their sweet sword and possibly Gravelord Sword Dance.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have the worst luck when I get invaded. 3 times today in Anor Londo I am attacked. All three times the shits have infinite health and stamina.

I had some fun invading though, the camouflage spell is a lot of fun to use even if it doesn't often lead to an actual sneak attack.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Gazaar posted:

Being a forest hunter is by far the most unpleasant and tedious covenant experience in the game unless you've already built your character for PvP, because there is no upper limit on invasions and even an SL15 hunter with some +5 sword will regularly invade SL120+ dudes in big armor with two phantoms.

And the worst part is that those big 120 dudes aren't even the sort of PvPers who like to have fun. More often than not they'll just run up and start trying to hit/backstab you regardless of what you're doing. Even if you're doing the channeler dance.

I can only imagine how many of them on PC are also using infinite life hacks on top of all their other anti-fun measures.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Re; Sen's: My issue with the area is that it's actually really, really short, it's just incredibly infuriating/dragging because the slightest fuckup means you get to do it again. Takes like ten, maybe fifteen minutes to get through if you know what you're doing and don't;

- Dodge poorly
- Mistime axes by a split second
- Mistime your roll to dodge the lightning from the first serpent mage, and then get axed
- gently caress up on the boulder machine

You get the jist. None of those are particularly hard to do with the right focus, but the entire place is built to make you focus on two things at once. Also gently caress giants.

Oh, also the wait for the ring is annoying.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elsje
Nov 5, 2007
Making progress feels really rewarding in this game. I couldn't get past the Black Knight in Undead Burg for some time. When I finally beat him, he dropped a Black Knight Shield (which I can't use yet). Glorious moment.

Then I proceed downwards at the castle. I died in one hit to some enemy. Died another couple of times. Decided to go up. Got knocked off the battlements in one hit by the enemy that was waiting for me there. Back to the same bonfire I've been at for the last hours.

I still die unnecessarily often because of the XBOX-controller though. Stupid D-pad keeps registering the wrong direction, changing the wrong items/skills, and the camera is a bitch.

• Locked thread