Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The thing is, it would still be good if it was released as True Crime Hong Kong. Activision could actually have had a good game in that series.

The GIG posted:

It still baffles me with the reasoning why Activision changed the protagonist.

Was it something beyond typical "Guys don't want to play as girls"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shalinor posted:

No more so than other games. Activision making the call that they should ditch the female protagonist is no different from the chain of logic that ended with Red Faction: Armageddon having the generic white bald dude.

"Well you see, the core demographic is 30-ish white dudes, so."

... still bitter about it, but it's an industry-wide thing, nothing specific to open-world GTA'ers :sigh:

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I guess I just want to see more female protagonists because it's such a male-dominated industry, and I think that a really well done GTA style game would be a neat place to see it. (Ideally an actual GTA game, with all the baggage that might entail.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Shindragon posted:

You know I thought by now companies would at least try. At least the psp vita version of rear end Creed 3 seems to be going the female main character way which is at least one step right to the direction.

Its actually a black female main character, which instantly puts it above most other games in that kind of thing.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Well we all know Activision's reasoning for axing it. If it doesn't make money or they can milk dry the hell out of it, it ain't worth supporting. Now that maybe the goal for each company but only the CEO of Activision would had the audacity to say it in public. So far it hasn't bitten him in the rear end but with the fall of Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero ,wouldn't be surprised if Call of Duty is next on the list to fall off the map.

Honestly being in the industry for a bit. It basically does sum up to we can't really have a female protagonist because of the demographic. They don't think it well sell, it's complicated. Etc etc.

edit: Ooooooh. Didn't know that. Might pick it up. I only avoided rear end creed Revelations because I felt it might of burned me out on the series. Of course knowing that it ended up pretty weak was disheartening but I might have to change my mind and pick up a vita for 3.

...Wait, who is the B team working on it? Because if there is one thing I know, most handheld titles get the B team. Sure you do occasionally get the best ones like God of War Ghost of Sparta (really loving good) but you do get the really bad like Smackdown for PSP :v: (really loving bad)

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 30, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I guess I just want to see more female protagonists because it's such a male-dominated industry, and I think that a really well done GTA style game would be a neat place to see it. (Ideally an actual GTA game, with all the baggage that might entail.
In all seriousness, it would actually not surprise me to see the next next GTA (not the San Andreas redux coming up next) go with a female. The industry's perception on acceptable protagonist gender is turning pretty quickly, due largely to what the influx of F2P/freemium/casual has done to player gender metrics. Either a female protagonist, or an attempt to allow gender choice (maybe write a plot about twins, male and female, that are present in all cinematics / whatever).

EDIT:

Rueish posted:

Guys, Sleeping Dogs was actually an original IP during development and was later announced as a True Crime game as a reboot.
We know. Or at least I think we know. That's when it had a female protagonist. The name was... Black Cobra or something, something Kung Fu'y. EDIT2: Decent writeup for the curious.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 30, 2012

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
Guys, Sleeping Dogs was actually an original IP during development and was later announced as a True Crime game as a reboot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shalinor posted:

We know. Or at least I think we know. That's when it had a female protagonist. The name was... Black Cobra or something, something Kung Fu'y.

Black Lotus.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Dominic White posted:

It really is quite something.

the_american_dream posted:

I dont know what it is about that game but I havent been haunted by a mediocre game like that since Braid. No desire to play it again (after new game plus of course) and yet cant trade it :stare:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Nier is the best example I can think of where atmosphere and plot made up for the kinda dumb gameplay.

It's one of my favorite stories, make sure to play it again in New Game + because it changes stuff.

Policenaut posted:

Nier was the last and only good thing they ever did, and going by the art book they couldn't even finish it 100% to their liking.

It's impressive just how drat atmospheric the game is, it's one of the best post-apocalyptic settings I've seen in such a long time. It actually feels incredibly bleak, something most.. media tends to fail at. Hell, the time jump alone felt really depressing because of how much the shades have overrun the world. It went from small groups of them here and there to entire fields of them, with animals being the rarity. :( Besides that, just.. all the poo poo that happens to you and everyone around you. poo poo is depressing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well, poo poo. I'm in the middle of playing Walking Dead Episode 3 and I had to put it down for a minute.

I want to say that it's pretty loving amazing that a game has actually caused me to make real decisions based on emotion, rather than something like Mass Effect where I just roleplay Space Jesus or Space rear end in a top hat.

In this episode Lilly shot Carley in the face, and I was completely stunned. I had been trying to play mediator between Lilly and Kenny (seriously, gently caress Kenny) but I was so stunned at what Lilly did that I left her by the side of the road to become walker chow. Then, later, Duck was bitten and Kenny was (surprise surprise) being a complete fuckhead about it. I was so annoyed with him because of the way he had acted toward Lilly that I basically just treated him like poo poo and punched him until he stopped the train. I told him he should have the guts to put his own son down, but Katjaa insisted on taking care of it. After Katjaa blew her brains out, I told Kenny to man up and put his son down.

This poo poo is intense and I can't believe how good of a job Telltale is doing at creating a believable story, with characters that are very human and relatable, and yet unrelentingly bleak at the same time. They've managed to grasp the "no one's safe" mentality of the comics perfectly, and I'm nothing but impressed. If you've been on the fence about this game, stop it. Get the season pass on PSN or Steam (or XBL, I guess, but it's the only one without any sort of discount at the moment), because this is why we play games.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

https://psnbeta.eu.playstation.com/userInfo.php?enroll=PlayStationAllStarsbeta

Good for PS3 and Vita users apparently.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Harlock posted:

Hell, why not.

Also, does the Walking Dead game spoil the show at all? I haven't seen the show yet but I'm curious about playing the game and don't want it to spoil anything.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Nope, totally unrelated and superior.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

Also, does the Walking Dead game spoil the show at all? I haven't seen the show yet but I'm curious about playing the game and don't want it to spoil anything.

The show left any sort of basis on the original concept a while ago, and the game is based on the actual graphic novels. They are literally two versions of the same world and (god willing) will never intersect. What you're playing is the comic, not the show, and it's worlds better because of it.

poo poo, epitasis beat me to it. Too many reboots, I guess. Man, completely wiping a friend's computer sure seemed like a simple idea...

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

DrNutt posted:

Well, poo poo. I'm in the middle of playing Walking Dead Episode 3 and I had to put it down for a minute.

I want to say that it's pretty loving amazing that a game has actually caused me to make real decisions based on emotion, rather than something like Mass Effect where I just roleplay Space Jesus or Space rear end in a top hat.

In this episode Lilly shot Carley in the face, and I was completely stunned. I had been trying to play mediator between Lilly and Kenny (seriously, gently caress Kenny) but I was so stunned at what Lilly did that I left her by the side of the road to become walker chow. Then, later, Duck was bitten and Kenny was (surprise surprise) being a complete fuckhead about it. I was so annoyed with him because of the way he had acted toward Lilly that I basically just treated him like poo poo and punched him until he stopped the train. I told him he should have the guts to put his own son down, but Katjaa insisted on taking care of it. After Katjaa blew her brains out, I told Kenny to man up and put his son down.

This poo poo is intense and I can't believe how good of a job Telltale is doing at creating a believable story, with characters that are very human and relatable, and yet unrelentingly bleak at the same time. They've managed to grasp the "no one's safe" mentality of the comics perfectly, and I'm nothing but impressed. If you've been on the fence about this game, stop it. Get the season pass on PSN or Steam (or XBL, I guess, but it's the only one without any sort of discount at the moment), because this is why we play games.

Listen to this goon, and ignore his words at your personal loss. Episode 3 had several moments in it that were like a punch in the stomach, emotionally speaking.

It's odd, because I was well aware during quieter moments how basic and mundane the structure of the gameplay is. Wander round, click on everything, speak to everyone, repeat until plot advances. But that doesn't matter. The investment in the characters, the writing, and the acting, all made so that when poo poo goes down I am sweating about the lives of these virtual people. Their deaths HURT.

This game has made it that I no longer think of zombie apocalypses as fun. That's a compliment.

I reckon episode 3 isn't quite as good as episode 2, but that was simply because of the structure of the episode. 2 builds to a single wrapped-up conclusion, while the big moments in 3 are more spaced out and unrelated. But when they come, holy poo poo are they powerful.

This is an amazing series, and I'm glad I bought the season pass before it went as a PS+ freebie as I want them to take my money. Gold. Pure gold.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

epitasis posted:

Nope, totally unrelated and superior.

Yeah, no spoilers and I care way more about Lee and Co. than most of the show people at this point.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Harlock posted:

Signed up for this. I'm so psyched for MGR, it'd own to get to play as Raiden again a few months early.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

New Metal Gear Solid game was unveiled today starring Snake during the 25th Anniversary event.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
And this is what it looks like:

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Chip Cheezum posted:

And this is what it looks like:

Supposedly it's open world, does that mean we'll be getting some gameplay this time?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Polite Tim posted:

Supposedly it's open world, does that mean we'll be getting some gameplay this time?
I want to be able to walk through other people's cutscenes

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Why is sam fisher... what the heck, is snake aging backwards now too?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Polite Tim posted:

I dunno anything about it but when you said that I immediately thought open-world in the sense that Peace Walker is, i.e. Monster Hunter. I don't like that game structure at all.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Honest Thief posted:

That's Big Boss, Solid Snake was never a part of MSF.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

This is almost certainly a remake of Metal Gear 1 and 2. I'd bet it's a massive retcon to the story while putting in all new gameplay.

In case people haven't played all of them but still were kind of following the story:

In Metal Gear 1, you are Solid Snake, working for Big Boss. It turns out he is a bad guy and you kill him.

In Metal Gear 2, he's still not dead so you kill him again.

MGS3 was the prequel story of how Naked Snake became Big Boss.
Peace Walker was the direct sequel, where Big Boss sets up Outer Heaven for the first time. He's made a lot more sympathetic than he seemed in the earlier games, and at this point the early games almost don't make sense anymore because he's such a likeable character for a guy that becomes a cartoon villian.

Peace Walker ends with a timeline, with the last event being "The Outer Heaven Rebellion". Basically Metal Gear 1 starts here. With all that we know about Big Boss, the story of MG1 and MG2 needs to be rewritten for it to even make sense.

Summary: Kojima

boom boom boom posted:

That's Big Boss, Solid Snake was never a part of MSF.

Is it? It seems a bit too old to be him. Remember in MG1 Snake is actually working for Big Boss, and with the events at the end of PW, MSF could have easily become Foxhound.

Edit: You know what, it might be. Maybe this fills in the PW>MG1 transition. Would be cool if it starts off with that then you switch over to a young Solid and have to kill BB. I don't know anymore.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 30, 2012

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Way too old to be MG era Snake.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Snake from an alternate reality created by nanomachines altering the entire universe.

edit: nanomachines nanomachines nanomachines nanomachines nanomachines nanomachines nanomachines nanomachines nanomachines

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It could be Solidus!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

It could be Solidus!

Oh yeah, they never talk about Solidus and he's older looking anyway. I just figured that by the end of PW Big Boss is at least 40, and when you see him next in the 3D games he's a guy with grey beard giving out CQC hugs.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Metal Gear Solid movie announced, from Columbia Pictures and the producer of X-Men and Iron Man

Link!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Also the producer of Elektra, the Fantastic Four movies and Spider-Man 3, lest we forget. :emo:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here is the LA Noire guys next game, Whore of the Orient, and its going to be next gen.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/30/la-noire-teams-whore-of-the-orient-headed-next-gen-published/

quote:

Secondly, the game's set in Shanghai, China - "Whore of the Orient. Paris of the East," as the website calls it - in 1936. A "group of Western cops hopelessly trying to keep the lid on and keep the peace" seems to be the focal point of the game (the group's known as the "International Police Force"), though it's unclear exactly what kind of game it is. It sounds to be just as hard-boiled as Team Bondi's last effort, LA Noire, and the gritty look of the trailer above begs the same comparison.

Gee, I wonder if there will be a shitstorm over the word whore. :munch:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cartoon Man posted:

Here is the LA Noire guys next game, Whore of the Orient, and its going to be next gen.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/30/la-noire-teams-whore-of-the-orient-headed-next-gen-published/

Let's see how long it takes for them to rename that game.

I am, however, stoked that they seem to be interested in continuing to make noir styled period pieces, because for all its faults, I loved LA Noir.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I really am curious to see if it makes it out with that name. It's pretty hard to picture Gamestop hanging up a big ol' sign proclaiming "Preorder Whore of the Orient now!"

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

DrNutt posted:

I loved LA Noir.

So did I. I finally started/beat it last month. I really thought it was a good game. I really enjoy the crime scene TV shows too, so I may be biased, but I would recommend it to anyone.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
I feel like they probably went with that name after shooting down Oriental Whore.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

That said, the game sounds badass. I have no idea what Shanghai China in 1936 was like, but I would buy this game to find out.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
1936 Shanghai is a setting that will make me interested in this game in spite of my very mixed feelings on LA Noire. If they can keep some of the highs of that game, and remove some of the lows, then I'm in.

But ugh, it has to be Western cops in a foreign setting? Really? Has it really got to be another case of white dudes saving Johnny Foreigner again? I'll keep an open mind until I hear more, but that's not the most promising of starts.

Cartoon Man posted:

That said, the game sounds badass. I have no idea what Shanghai China in 1936 was like, but I would buy this game to find out.

Opening sequence of Temple of Doom man. That's all you need to know.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Polite Tim posted:

I always said an open world Splinter Cell game would so very work- but Metal Gear is going that route. That said, wasn't Ground Zero the first level of MGS4? It's probably a prequel to that PMC vs Rebel engagement?

Either way I seriously doubt its a Solid Snake story, as I seriously doubt Kojima will un-end his ending.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Parkingtigers posted:

1936 Shanghai is a setting that will make me interested in this game in spite of my very mixed feelings on LA Noire. If they can keep some of the highs of that game, and remove some of the lows, then I'm in.

But ugh, it has to be Western cops in a foreign setting? Really? Has it really got to be another case of white dudes saving Johnny Foreigner again? I'll keep an open mind until I hear more, but that's not the most promising of starts.

Opening sequence of Temple of Doom man. That's all you need to know.

One thing Team Bondi did really well was doing a very convincing facsimilie of the time period, and they didn't shy too far away with the realities of the time re: race relations and poo poo. I mean, as much as you can conceivably get away with in a (and as much as you would probably want to, really) video game in 2011, anyway.

I'm guessing mostly they are going to find it an easier sell to a western audience, because a subtitled game set in Shanghai in the 40s would probably be career suicide for a team working on a big budget Rockstar game. I do trust a Rockstar team to take enough risks for it to be interesting, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There is no way that a game is gonna be released with the title Whore of the Orient.

• Locked thread