Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I need to do a factory reset. What should I use to make backups of stuff like messages or anything else semi-important? I'm not rooted, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

I need to do a factory reset. What should I use to make backups of stuff like messages or anything else semi-important? I'm not rooted, by the way.
The only things you'll be able to preserve are SMSs and your call logs without being rooted.

If you're running Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean you can actually backup and restore everything if you have ADB installed.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I've got an app question, I'm running diceplayer on my standard One X running sense ics. Generally it's great but it randomly pauses for no reason during playback.

I've tried google and couldn't find a solution or even forum for this app. Anyone have any ideas?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I just scooped a tf 300 and I want to get it connected to my pc with all its wonderful HD movies. Is all I need the app Dropbox, or is there something more in depth thats better?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 29, 2012

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

The only things you'll be able to preserve are SMSs and your call logs without being rooted.

I must point out that SMS Backup + does both SMS and call logs and MMS messages straight to/from Gmail, and is the best thing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Scudworth posted:

I must point out that SMS Backup + does both SMS and call logs and MMS messages straight to/from Gmail, and is the best thing.
For wipe/restore purposes though there's no reason to offload either although I'm sure SMS Backup+ has a local storage option. I figure in cases for "What can I backup without root?" the simplest is probably the best whereas "How can I archive my text messages?" obviously has a different solution.

Edit:

Remember back when we were talking about about file managers and how none of them have a native Holo look and feel? Looks like Astro's getting updated to just that.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 29, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Gaj posted:

I just scooped a tf 300 and I want to get it connected to my pc with all its wonderful HD movies. Is all I need the app Dropbox, or is there something more in depth thats better?

Why not just plug it into the computer?

If you meant streaming movies maybe look at Plex?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone using PowerAmp tell me if it saves playlist files? Whenever I have a problem with Winamp I have to remake the thing each time.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I just picked up the Galaxy S3 which is a huge upgrade for me but I'm looking for a few recommendations:

1: Some sort of security/anti-theft app. I've used theftaware and avast in the past but am wondering if there's something more people recommend here. Just something that will lock the phone down if sim card is switched as well as something that gives me remote access to check gps location, sound an alarm, and other useful stuff like that.

2: Anybody use a good speed dial widget? I used to use Go Launcher and liked their 4x4 contact widget for quick access to call/text people. I'm using Nova for now.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Teeter posted:

I just picked up the Galaxy S3 which is a huge upgrade for me but I'm looking for a few recommendations:

1: Some sort of security/anti-theft app. I've used theftaware and avast in the past but am wondering if there's something more people recommend here. Just something that will lock the phone down if sim card is switched as well as something that gives me remote access to check gps location, sound an alarm, and other useful stuff like that.

2: Anybody use a good speed dial widget? I used to use Go Launcher and liked their 4x4 contact widget for quick access to call/text people. I'm using Nova for now.

I use cerberus for the security stuff, I think I paid 5$ for a license or something like that. Not really sure on question 2.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Teeter posted:

Does TouchWiz not do contact cards or dialer shortcuts?

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

Just got my android up and running again after rooting it and installing CM on it.

I'm looking for a good health bar style battery widget. I know about the one with the hearts ala Zelda, but I'm looking for something more like megaman or street fighter style life bars.

anybody know anything along those lines?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Does TouchWiz not do contact cards or dialer shortcuts?

it does, but I'm using Nova launcher. I don't know if Apex would handle it better natively either. I just really prefer something like how the Go widget works. It was pretty sleek looking and very functional with the scrolling, not to mention it's much easier having a widget set to display my starred contacts group. I can certainly dedicate a home screen to a bunch of individual contact widgets but that's only if I can't dig up a better widget first.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Teeter posted:

it does, but I'm using Nova launcher. I don't know if Apex would handle it better natively either. I just really prefer something like how the Go widget works. It was pretty sleek looking and very functional with the scrolling, not to mention it's much easier having a widget set to display my starred contacts group. I can certainly dedicate a home screen to a bunch of individual contact widgets but that's only if I can't dig up a better widget first.
I don't really like contact widgets so I've never tried it but I do use Android Pro Widgets to have transparent scrollable Twitter and Agenda widgets on my homescreens. It's also themeable. I'd imagine it would fit your criteria.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Teeter posted:

I would agree with LastInLine about Android Pro Widgets. It's worth a purchase. Not only do you get a Contacts widget that will do just what you want, but it's themeable and all of APW work with any launcher you end up using. Plus you get a ton of other useful widgets (social media feeds, calendar, etc).

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Thanks, I'm going to check it out. I'm also on the hunt for a good 30 day calendar widget so hopefully this works for that as well.

e: this is perfect, thanks again!

Teeter fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 29, 2012

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I'm the developer of Beaver, can the OP please update the first post? It's no longer called Beaver, it's now called Frost - apparently the word beaver means vagina in some countries.

If you do any :ninja::fh: browsing on your device check it out

I just released a new update last night, cleaned up the interface quite a bit as well as adding tab sessions. I created a quick menu in the tab bar, so that should remove the clutter that was happening in the options menu. I'm planning on eliminating the options menu entirely in the future seeing as how a lot of new devices simply don't have them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Remember back when we were talking about about file managers and how none of them have a native Holo look and feel? Looks like Astro's getting updated to just that.
I ended up trying out Astro out for a while just to test drive the UI and I have to say I like the look and feel quite a lot. It's missing a lot of features- it can't mount /system, I couldn't see a way to alter permissions, no text editor, etc, but the UI itself is very nice. I found it much more attractive to look at than ES or Solid Explorer and I think there's some merit to the idea of a search-centric start screen (however this too isn't really workable in its current form).

Some things are ridiculously improved over the other two. For instance setting up the network browsing was actually easy compared to difficult for ES and Solid I never got to work at all. The Holo action bars/icons/menus work really well without being cluttered or looking janky. I think the whole thing actually looks really nice although I wouldn't mind additional interface options. They also finally got rid of that Cupcake/Donut-era icon.

Overall it's a nice file browser but the featureset just isn't there for what I'd use it for and it's got a few teething issues around the interface concept that need to be addressed but for what it is it's a surprisingly good first effort.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Has anyone else with Glass Clock widget been having problems with the weather loading today?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Has anyone else with Glass Clock widget been having problems with the weather loading today?

That might have something to do with them ending the Google weather api. The Sense 4 clock I'm running only shows the forecast through the rest of today, so I'm assuming that it'll stop working after today.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://plus.google.com/104629412415657030658/posts/cZAVZEDMPRn?utm_source=chrome_ntp_icon&utm_medium=chrome_app&utm_campaign=chrome

There's a new update to Google Search which adds updates to Android 4.1.

quote:

-Movies - see movie showtimes and more
-Public alerts - receive emergency messages such as storm warnings and earthquake alerts
-Add favorite sports teams from over 140 soccer, football, hockey and baseball teams to follow in real time, right from Settings
-Support for Korea

Unfortunately, this update seems to block the app from 4.0 and below as the app is apparently not compatible with my Nexus S 4G running 4.0.4.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I don't see the ability to manage any of the new cards in the Google Now settings. Am I missing something?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LastInLine posted:

I don't see the ability to manage any of the new cards in the Google Now settings. Am I missing something?

I just updated the app on my VW Galaxy Nexus running CM10 and I'm seeing a ton of additional options, even for the default cards.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

It's all there for me. Settings -> Google Now -> Sports/Movies/Public Alerts. You updated from the Play Store right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's all there for me. Settings -> Google Now -> Sports/Movies/Public Alerts. You updated from the Play Store right?
Thanks, I was looking under Show Sample Cards which still list all the old cards but none of the new ones.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
How exactly does the movie card work? Is it meant to be if you are driving by a movie theatre? I've tried asking what movies are playing etc but nothing is working.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Drevoak posted:

How exactly does the movie card work? Is it meant to be if you are driving by a movie theatre? I've tried asking what movies are playing etc but nothing is working.
It says something about mentioning showtimes on your "movie days". Maybe you need to visit theaters often enough for it to pick up on it? I don't watch a lot of movies in the theater so I didn't dig deep.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Drevoak posted:

On your movie days
Shown on days you tend to search for movies

When near a movie theater

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It's pretty cool that Google Now updates aren't tied to the OS but instead can come via Play Store updates to Google Search. We've known for a while that Google is constantly improving the natural voice search on the backend but this shows they can do significant incremental improvements to it without having to worry about whether carriers and OEMs will get OS updates out. Presumably this means that as long as a device is on the Jelly Bean API level then Google Now will not lag in usability for the life of the device.

Considering the quantity and quality of the data collected through Now and its value to Google this kind of polish is to be expected but it really stands in such sharp contrast to the stuff they clearly give no gently caress about. Looking at Now and Maps and then at Reader or Play Music and you can really see where the attention falls.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Google Now is coming along nicely; they really need to add college teams to the Sports card.

Also, the new Astro update (overhaul/facelift) is pretty awesome.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Google Now is coming along nicely; they really need to add college teams to the Sports card.

Also, the new Astro update (overhaul/facelift) is pretty awesome.
Wait, NCAA teams aren't in there? The only team I care about is UK basketball so I was waiting until November to try it out. :(

As for Astro, I'm really impressed but if they don't have any intention of doing root stuff and text editing then it can't do 75% of what I do in a file browser. The UI though is a great move in the right direction and I'm not going to uninstall it because I want to see it evolve.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

Wait, NCAA teams aren't in there? The only team I care about is UK basketball so I was waiting until November to try it out. :(

Nope, none at all. I sent them the request to add teams via the in-app feedback...don't know if it helps, but it's worth a try.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It's pretty cool that Google Now updates aren't tied to the OS but instead can come via Play Store updates to Google Search. We've known for a while that Google is constantly improving the natural voice search on the backend but this shows they can do significant incremental improvements to it without having to worry about whether carriers and OEMs will get OS updates out. Presumably this means that as long as a device is on the Jelly Bean API level then Google Now will not lag in usability for the life of the device.
Surprised that Google haven't released it for ICS devices since updates aren't tied to the OS. Considering that its been hacked to “work” already, official support can't be that difficult.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

Surprised that Google haven't released it for ICS devices since updates aren't tied to the OS. Considering that its been hacked to "work" already, official support can't be that difficult.
There are OS-level modifications needed for on-device hooks as far as I'm aware. If they're going to do that, there's no point in not updating the device to Jelly Bean.

I haven't been keeping up with the hacked Now. What exactly is involved with getting it to run on Ice Cream Sandwich?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Just flash something in recovery that replaces the old search apks. Works ok although a little buggy and I believe that the voice is still based on ICS and not JB. I played around with it on 4.0.4 and I haven't noticed anything significant differences since upgrading to CM10.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I can't even seem to et NFL on there.

I asked it for "Patriots score" during a pre-season game and it just did a regular google search.

Maybe google doesn't care about pre-season? I even just said things like "Patriots" and "New England Patriots" but all of them just turned into regular searches...maybe that will be enough so when the season starts, it will get a card?

It would also be nice if the card had more than just the current/most recent score...things like trade/injury news, next scheduled game, etc...

Edit: Well, gently caress me, I can just go into it's settings and add a team.

Double edit: Yeah, still doesn't have any info on the pre-season game from last night...oh well, who cares about that anyway?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Plume got an update to version 4.50 about two days ago :toot:

• Rework the application navigation to be more fluid.
  • Rework the tablet UI to better fit 7" tablets.
  • Add a simple draft system (automatic save/restore).
  • Add Facebook picture uploading.
  • Fix Twitlonger expansion.

Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.levelup.touiteur

-----

According to the Beta Forum, 4.51 might be coming out today to fix a couple crashes and things like that.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 30, 2012

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
So I just got a notice for Swype Beta wanting to update but when I download it, it says "Please click to begin", but doing that does nothing. Anyone else having issues?

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

Evil Vin posted:

So I just got a notice for Swype Beta wanting to update but when I download it, it says "Please click to begin", but doing that does nothing. Anyone else having issues?

Took a while for it to do anything for me, just be patient and it should do something.

Any idea what it actually updates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

leonje posted:

Took a while for it to do anything for me, just be patient and it should do something.

Any idea what it actually updates?

quote:

Swype Beta v1.1.1.7628
Fixed bug on HTC Sense devices where Dragon Dictation wasn't functional.
Re-introduced Japanese language support.
Significant improvements in text editing (gestures to Shift words are more relevant and forgiving, punctuation gesture improvements, etc.).
Implicit add to dictionary functionality improved (quarantine mechanism more consistent).
Fixed 'bouncing' Chinese spelling list bug.
We have updated the text message scanning mechanism to run in the background and automatically learn the words and language model from the user (this is why "SMS" is no longer available in Swype Settings > Swype Connect > Enable Personalization)
Advanced Language Modeling introduced for Arabic, Czech, Romanian, Russian, and Slovak.
Various improvements in accuracy.
Implemented workarounds to handle cursor placement/text editing behavior a bit better in Google Chrome.

• Locked thread