Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009
I just got a Nexus 7 and I am looking for a app that shows soccer highlights. On my iPhone I have "Caught Offside" which works good and theres suppose to be an Android version but I can't find it. I found a couple of apps that claim they show highlights but they don't....

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FlyingCheese posted:

I have to recommend the NASA App if only to have the APOD set to your background image every day.

How do I make it do that?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

IRQ posted:

How do I make it do that?

It's the first option in the Settings menu.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Are there any apps which would alert me when new tickets go on sale for gigs on somewhere like ticketmaster or seetickets? Preferable on a whole genre rather than individual artists.

I'm also in the UK, if that makes any difference.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
Scoremobile has videos. Something called the "Footy Show" is posted every day and I'm assuming it would have soccer highlights. Not sure if it'll work for you, though, as I haven't been able to play video without crashing the app since I upgraded to Jellybean.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Can anybody on Jelly Bean get the built-in keyboard in WolframAlpha to work? I don't know if it's a problem with the app or cm10.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
Works fine for me on jellybean.

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009

Steriletom posted:

Scoremobile has videos. Something called the "Footy Show" is posted every day and I'm assuming it would have soccer highlights. Not sure if it'll work for you, though, as I haven't been able to play video without crashing the app since I upgraded to Jellybean.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked it out and looks like they just talk about the upcoming matches and don't offer any game footage. Oh well I'm sure there's a good site or app somewhere.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Can anybody on Jelly Bean get the built-in keyboard in WolframAlpha to work? I don't know if it's a problem with the app or cm10.

I have the Amazon Appstore version of Wolfram and the keyboard doesn't work. Looks like the Google Play version's last update was to fix the JB keyboard almost a month ago, is that where you got yours from? I hope they haven't just abandoned the Amazon version. I'm on AOKP Jelly Bean build 1.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Casyl posted:

I have the Amazon Appstore version of Wolfram and the keyboard doesn't work. Looks like the Google Play version's last update was to fix the JB keyboard almost a month ago, is that where you got yours from? I hope they haven't just abandoned the Amazon version. I'm on AOKP Jelly Bean build 1.

Yep, that's the one. I'm guessing they have indeed abandoned it. I don't use the app nearly enough to spend $4 on it.

Propaganda Panda
Dec 26, 2010
I had the same problem with wolfram alpha keyboard , but it fixed itself. Can they do hot fixes? Cause I don't remember any update. One day it just started working.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

Is there any consensus on a great PC remote app? I've tried Unified Remote, but the fact that I can't use the Android keyboard to type in apps is pretty much a dealbreaker...

Mobile Mouse. There's a free and a paid version. It's got a lot of nice little features features (media player remote, application quick launch, etc) that make it better than just a mouse and keyboard.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

rolleyes posted:

Are there any apps which would alert me when new tickets go on sale for gigs on somewhere like ticketmaster or seetickets? Preferable on a whole genre rather than individual artists.

I'm also in the UK, if that makes any difference.

I use http://www.songkick.com/, and it's decent. It appears that they have an app Song Kick, but I've never actually used it. The website sends emails and that's all I've used. It's not the best, but it has let me know of shows that my other emails don't.

The best part for me, is that it scrapped my last.fm data of the artists I listen to and automatically added them to the list of artists to track.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
News just in: the Skype app is still a useless piece of poo poo that randomly logs you out, and laughs at your attempts to login again.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

spincube posted:

News just in: the Skype app is still a useless piece of poo poo that randomly logs you out, and laughs at your attempts to login again.

Skype in general is a useless piece of poo poo.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
On the Android stock browser it hides the URL bar and only brings it up if you scroll up. Is there a setting for this on the Chrome app? I don't see one but it seems like such an obvious thing that I assume I'm missing something.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Skeezy posted:

Skype in general is a useless piece of poo poo.

Agreed. I only have it installed because it's actually free to call freephone numbers with it.

It's a slow, bloated piece of poo poo and the first thing I did was disable all of its autologin / integration settings.

deong posted:

I use http://www.songkick.com/, and it's decent. It appears that they have an app Song Kick, but I've never actually used it. The website sends emails and that's all I've used. It's not the best, but it has let me know of shows that my other emails don't.

The best part for me, is that it scrapped my last.fm data of the artists I listen to and automatically added them to the list of artists to track.

Cheers for this, assuming it tracks UK stuff it looks ideal. I'll check it out.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 4, 2012

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Yeah, no one can see me when I make skype video calls. I can see them, and I can see me, on my phone, but they just see a spinning circle thing forever.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

deong posted:

I use http://www.songkick.com/, and it's decent. It appears that they have an app Song Kick, but I've never actually used it

The app is actually really awesome. It found everything in my Google Music collection and started telling me when artists are playing at the cities I marked. Definitely recommend the app.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
B-b-but everyone I like is dead or European!
:goonsay:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

The app is actually really awesome. It found everything in my Google Music collection and started telling me when artists are playing at the cities I marked. Definitely recommend the app.

Yeah I've now tried it out and agree, it does the job nicely. I added a couple of cities I'm willing to travel to for gigs, trimmed out some of the artists it found on my phone that I'm not too bothered about and added some I am bothered about which weren't on the phone. Job done!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I meant to mention the website showed that London was supported, glad it worked out. I may have to try out the app instead of just getting the site to email the info.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Apart from an odd volume bug (volume buttons don't turn up the media volume when I'm in a call, i have to open the volume menu to change it) Skype is fine for me.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
BubbleUPNP is the coolest, most "the future is now" thing I have ever used. UPnP/DLNA streaming with on-the-fly switching between libraries and renderers with Push-to and Pull-from.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Pudgygiant posted:

BubbleUPNP is the coolest, most "the future is now" thing I have ever used. UPnP/DLNA streaming with on-the-fly switching between libraries and renderers with Push-to and Pull-from.

Yeah, I've been using it for a few months now and it is killer. Running the server software I can remote access by library via DDNS and it rules.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pudgygiant posted:

I had to go to the app page to try to figure out what most of those words mean, but this looks pretty drat cool. Going to try it on my Nexus 7!

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Megaspel posted:

Yeah, no one can see me when I make skype video calls. I can see them, and I can see me, on my phone, but they just see a spinning circle thing forever.

On my Nexus 7 (I don't know about my SGS2), whenever I switch to a menu/task that doesn't contain the video, the device stops outputting my video. I have to stop, then restart my stream (in skype, google hangouts) for people to see me. Is this a programming issue, or is this hardware?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Pulse is awesome, but doesn't have a "mark all read" button which is both retarded and a deal-breaker for me.

What are you guys using instead?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I want a SMS/MMS replacement that works with group messaging and has light text on a black background. I can do this with Handcent but I can't stand the ugly UI deviations like the send button and other stuff with rounded corners. Handcent also runs like garbage if you have a theme installed. I also looked at Go SMS but apparently it puts ads in the notifications so that's a definite no. Are there others that I'm missing?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, Motorola just announced something interesting, I'll be waiting to hear the full details.

"$100 credit towards the purchase of any phone announced today if your phone can't be upgraded to Jelly Bean."

They are also talking about dev phones.

Also, about the phones being announced today.

quote:

There'll be Jelly Bean on all of these from the start, and Dennis is promising that they'll upgrade "most" of their devices "very soon."

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
RAZR M / RAZR HD / RAZR MAXX HD (hmm, could've used caps lock for that) launching with ICS but being upgraded to JB before the end of the year. NOT launching with JB.

They'll get JB just about the time the next Nexii are announced with KLP.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oops, I just realized I posed that previous item in the app thread and not the general thread.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I want a SMS/MMS replacement that works with group messaging and has light text on a black background. I can do this with Handcent but I can't stand the ugly UI deviations like the send button and other stuff with rounded corners. Handcent also runs like garbage if you have a theme installed. I also looked at Go SMS but apparently it puts ads in the notifications so that's a definite no. Are there others that I'm missing?

Is your phone rooted? If so, just get an ad blocker. I use GoSMS and GoLauncher and I never see any ads. If you don't want to/can't do that I think you're out of luck. I've never been able to find anything better than GoSMS.

Anyway, does anyone know of a news app that has notifications for breaking news? The CNN app has them but I'm looking for something that will let me choose the topics I'm interested in so I won't be getting breaking news about Mitt Romney or whatever.

e: or maybe I'm not seeing ads on GoSMS because it has none. :downs:

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I've never heard of GoSMS putting ads in the notifications, and I've been running it ever since I got my phone. When it updates it'll have some sort of reminder about for-pay stuff they have but you can just delete that.

I made a theme for GoSMS that's like what you want. They have an official tool on their website for making themes and it only takes an hour or two to get everything themed up nicely.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I decided to see what I could get out of my GNex with light use and no charging after setting up profiles on SetCPU and going back to a static image for my background.

Total screen time of 45 minutes. Also, turns out I had my priorities backwards for the profiles, it was always on the <=75% profile the whole time. Not too bad I don't think, seeing my old Droid would last half a day. before this phone would be down to 60% just sitting in my car and using it throughout my time at home would get it down to about 40. This gets me an extra 20 hours or so.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I once got 65 hours from similar use with my OG Droid.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Is GrooveIP still the wifi calling app of choice? Or are there better competitors now?

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Is GrooveIP still the wifi calling app of choice? Or are there better competitors now?

I wouldn't mind a recommendation too but this seems to be limited to the US and Canada. Can anybody recommend a similar app for the UK? Viber and Skype spring to mind but I read some bad reviews about them.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Has TinyShark stopped working for anyone else? I know Grooveshark has been going back and forth with having an app in the Play Store and getting it removed, but I just noticed yesterday that TinyShark won't play. It logs in and I can search for music, but nothing plays.

Edit: It looks like it's missing from the Play Store too. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Beige posted:

I wouldn't mind a recommendation too but this seems to be limited to the US and Canada. Can anybody recommend a similar app for the UK? Viber and Skype spring to mind but I read some bad reviews about them.

I use viber to call from the US to panama all the time and it works great. Usually at the beginning of the call, there is a delay of a couple seconds, so you will say something, have 5-6 seconds of silence, and then the response. It goes away after a couple minutes and is normal though. I like it.

• Locked thread