Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Go into Settings > Sound > Music Effects and make sure MusicFX is selected.

That option isn't showing up for some reason...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

big mean giraffe posted:

You must have the worst luck ever. No phone period, not Android or anything else I've ever owned, has done anything like that in the movies, and I just put it on vibrate.

You've never even forgotten about a daily alarm (which explicitly ignores Mute)?

Never managed to pocket-dial or otherwise pocket-interact with it?

Comedy option: never had any Mobage games installed?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Splizwarf posted:

You've never even forgotten about a daily alarm (which explicitly ignores Mute)? Comedy option: never had any Mobage games installed?

No to Mobage. And your alarm example is fatally flawed, since your statement blamed Android, not your own forgetfulness (which happens to everyone).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

No to Mobage. And your alarm example is fatally flawed, since your statement blamed Android, not your own forgetfulness (which happens to everyone).

No, on every phone I had before Android, the alarms complied with a global Mute command, and were forced to vibrate-only. I can definitely blame Android for that one. Once upon a time, "Mute" meant your phone couldn't make any noise.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Splizwarf posted:

No, on every phone I had before Android, the alarms complied with a global Mute command, and were forced to vibrate-only. I can definitely blame Android for that one. Once upon a time, "Mute" meant your phone couldn't make any noise.

I have to disagree with your sentiment and go with "different != broken"

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

There's a setting for this, sorry you're dumb? Some people want their phones silent at night but to use it as an alarm.

I've also never been at the movies at 7 AM. And no, I've never pocket dialed anyone with my phone, it would be really hard to have the phone turn itself on, unlock the slider with your thigh, nagivate to a contact and then call them.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

big mean giraffe posted:

You must have the worst luck ever. No phone period, not Android or anything else I've ever owned, has done anything like that in the movies, and I just put it on vibrate.
I started doing it after I accidentally hit the volume key when putting the phone back in my pocket and then got a call during the movie. That was on a dumbphone. It's not like I'm going to use the phone during the movie anyway, and turning it off and back on again isn't a big deal, either.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Splizwarf posted:

Because Android. I turn mine off at the movies too, sometimes even with Mute and Airplane on Android phones still find a way to spazz out once in a while.

This is something you actually believe? :frogout:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

That option isn't showing up for some reason...
Well that's why the EQ, bass boost, and normalization isn't working. How to fix it though, I'd have to think.

You're rooted? Edit: If so, the obvious first step would be to drop the .apk in /system/app and see if that fixes it.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 11, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Gyshall posted:

This is something you actually believe? :frogout:

To be fair, if you'd had the same experience that he has with this phone, you might think that too.

I forget why he never got it repaired or replaced, but wasn't that the phone that shits itself multiple times per day and almost caught on fire a couple times?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

To be fair, if you'd had the same experience that he has with this phone, you might think that too.

I forget why he never got it repaired or replaced, but wasn't that the phone that shits itself multiple times per day and almost caught on fire a couple times?

Finally ditched it for an S3, which I cannot comment on for fear of hexing/jinxery.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Can anyone recommend an imgur app? I want to upload from my phone / tablet, manage my pictures & copy links to the clipboard. There are loads of identical looking apps but I don't want to try them all to find a good one, not while you can't delete apps from your history.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Cakefool posted:

Can anyone recommend an imgur app? I want to upload from my phone / tablet, manage my pictures & copy links to the clipboard. There are loads of identical looking apps but I don't want to try them all to find a good one, not while you can't delete apps from your history.

I use EzImgur - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ezimgur&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5lemltZ3VyIl0.

I don't like that it also has a lot of "browsing" imgur features, but it's been the most reliable imgur app and most often updated/supported that I've used.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Cakefool posted:

The one made by Colin somethingoranother has worked for me. I'd use Frozen-Solid's though if updating is your thing, the one I'm using while it works fine looks like it hasn't been touched in awhile.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Well that's why the EQ, bass boost, and normalization isn't working. How to fix it though, I'd have to think.

You're rooted? Edit: If so, the obvious first step would be to drop the .apk in /system/app and see if that fixes it.

I'm not rooted but I did check around and I read that the settings aren't stock for the OS and you have to add them in? I'm not sure.

Do you know if your wife's Nexus S has this? Maker of Shoes, do you have the ability to turn on Bass Boost and 3D Sound?

I can use the equalizer fine, it's just those two options greyed out that weren't greyed in ICS.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm not rooted but I did check around and I read that the settings aren't stock for the OS and you have to add them in? I'm not sure.

Do you know if your wife's Nexus S has this? Maker of Shoes, do you have the ability to turn on Bass Boost and 3D Sound?

I can use the equalizer fine, it's just those two options greyed out that weren't greyed in ICS.

To be honest I don't know. After finally giving up on stock JB I went to CM9something so the Equalizer Settings are all done by DSP Manager.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Finally ditched it for an S3, which I cannot comment on for fear of hexing/jinxery.

Oh thank goodness. The issues with your old phone were just unreal. Can you at least tell us whether it's been better than the Nexus? You can use hand signals if you're afraid it's listening.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'll check when she gets home from work in about two hours but I can tell you that they're definitely stock. If they weren't the options would simply be missing, not greyed out.

The fact that you can use the EQ but not the options seems weird to me though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Oh thank goodness. The issues with your old phone were just unreal. Can you at least tell us whether it's been better than the Nexus? You can use hand signals if you're afraid it's listening.

Well, it fits my specific needs much better than a Nexus. For example, cloud services are not a functional option for me so I put a 64gb SDXC card in it.

I really like the physical home button compared to my old Streak's set of capacitive buttons. I think having the buttons be on the screen would drive me batshit crazy, but that's just my own opinion. I like real buttons and I don't care that they wear out eventually. I've owned enough Game Boys and video game controllers to see that coming from a mile away.

MTP makes me want to murder a bitch every time I have to use it. Thank god my car stereo also has Bluetooth or I'd be up poo poo creek for car music.

I do use the "swipe to screenshot" and "flip face-down to mute" gestures (Samsung added a bunch of optional gestures), but most of the rest of them are bizarrely exotic. I might start using "tap the top of the phone to jump to the top of the page" now that I'm comfortable with the rest of the phone. "Flip face-down to mute" is made palatable because the Otterbox I have it in keeps the screen from hitting the table, I wouldn't consider using that gesture otherwise.

The stock camera is balls-out great and is better than the Elph my wife got last Christmas. Photo quality's about the same but her camera doesn't do HDR or panoramics (which both come out very well on this phone). It's a welcome change from my Streak, which would reboot if the camera was active for more than ~11 seconds or faster if it was aimed at something bright. :emo:

This device has renewed my interest in consumer electronics. That is all.

e: it is now on fire oh horrible fates why did I tempt you

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Penguissimo posted:

That's some impressive empathy, on the internet no less.

Luckily we have people like Big Mean Giraffe and myself to bring back the internet status quo of: you're a moron for blaming Android and then using an alarm as your reasoning.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

big mean giraffe posted:

Not exactly unheard of. Some older Motorola phones have a habit of turning themselves back on after you turn them off, for example.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Well let's be fair here, no real user ever wants to actually turn off their phone, so the phone was just trying to help you out. It's proactive.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I thought the whole point of alarms was that they ignored the silent status of the phone. I'm certainly glad that they do on Android because overnight I leave my phone as was suggested above - sound off, vibrate off, but would like it to wake me up in the morning. Some of my older phones (Sony Ericssons) would even turn themselves on to sound the alarm so long as there was juice in the battery, and I'm mildly disappointed that Android doesn't seem to do this.

In short, the idea of an alarm which stops working when the phone is on silent seems dumb to me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I'll check when she gets home from work in about two hours but I can tell you that they're definitely stock. If they weren't the options would simply be missing, not greyed out.

The fact that you can use the EQ but not the options seems weird to me though.

It is weird. I did a factory reset (actually two...I ended up screwing up the phone with Developer Options somehow...) and it's still blocked off.

Also...what is this and why is it? I checked and I don't have two Maps applications so...I don't get it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

More talk of a newer native android app.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/11/zuckerberg-html-5-facebook-mobile-app-mistake/

quote:

t turns out that there's some regret in Menlo Park about relying on the web markup language. Betting on HTML 5 for the app is "one of the biggest mistakes if not the biggest strategic mistakes we've ever made," Mark Zuckerberg said in an interview at TechCrunch Disrupt today.

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum
I'm wondering if anyone can point in the proper direction for a problem I am having:

Whenever I look at the "All Apps" section of Google Play, or go to play.google.com and look at the "My Orders", I see a few random stupid free apps that I am sure I have never downloaded. They all appear from the same three or so developers and show up randomly.

Yesterday one showed up a few minutes after I paid for and downloaded a legitimate app.

When I look at my device list on Google Play, I only see my legitimate devices (which there are quite a few -- 2 phones and 3 tables) so I don't think someone has hijacked my account. The devices are never in anybody else's possession.

The apps do not appear to be installing themselves anywhere; and it's only free-apps showing up on the list (at least for now), but it's a bit disconcerting when you go to your app list and "Beautiful jumping tits" is at the top of the list.

It all started around the time I attached a (new) Nexus 7 to my account; I had flashed my GSM Galaxy Nexus with the preview JB image around the same time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

It is weird. I did a factory reset (actually two...I ended up screwing up the phone with Developer Options somehow...) and it's still blocked off.

Also...what is this and why is it? I checked and I don't have two Maps applications so...I don't get it.
Hers has the options greyed out too. That's kind of hosed up.

The one on the right is the old Maps icon. No harm in deleting the shortcut I suppose.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Hers has the options greyed out too. That's kind of hosed up.

The one on the right is the old Maps icon. No harm in deleting the shortcut I suppose.

Yeah, it worked fine in ICS, in fact I used it yesterday before I updated to JB as I was playing Pandora all day.

I wonder if it's a bug or maybe it was breaking something?

That's an odd shortcut especially since it usually replaces the icon when the app has a new one. Ah well, a neat bug at least. I found it in the default Google folder when the factory reset was finished.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
Is there a consensus on good audio editors for Android? TapeMachine looks really nice, but I want to make sure I'm making a good call before dropping $4.

pro con
Sep 14, 2008

MrC posted:

Is there a consensus on good audio editors for Android? TapeMachine looks really nice, but I want to make sure I'm making a good call before dropping $4.

I have TapeMachine and I really like it. There's a lite version on the market that limits you to a minute of recorded audio and doesn't have support for .ogg and .mp3 if you want to test it out.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
This may seem a little idealistic, but is there an app out there that instead of an alarm sound, will do something like "Hello 'person', it is 9AM. Weather forecast is x, news headlines are...". Basically a personalized greeter of news headlines and weather as an alarm clock?

I feel like someone has to have figured this out by now.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

MentosMan posted:

This may seem a little idealistic, but is there an app out there that instead of an alarm sound, will do something like "Hello 'person', it is 9AM. Weather forecast is x, news headlines are...". Basically a personalized greeter of news headlines and weather as an alarm clock?

I'm pretty sure that gentle alarm can do that.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
The SGS3 TouchWiz Clock will do that.

No personal experience but some poking around says these will to:
Alarm Clock Plus
WakeVoice

I also thought Gentle Alarm could do that, but didn't see it listed as an option when poking around. It's been awhile since I've used it however.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

rotaryfun posted:

I'm pretty sure that gentle alarm can do that.
If it has a way to do that, I can't figure it out.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If it has a way to do that, I can't figure it out.

It has a setting where you can have it tell you the time, your name, and an arbitrary string, but it won't read the headlines or the weather.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

MentosMan posted:

Wayk Senti

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
Seeing as we were recently talking about this, I though I should mention that the Amazon Appstore version of Wolfram Alpha was recently updated so the in-app keyboard works on Jelly Bean now. Took them long enough.

Casyl fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 12, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Looking for an audio recording app. I'm not positive if this is completely down to the hardware of the phone, or if some apps can do audio processing to improve this, but I want to record some meetings which will have people spread across the room...in other words, people won't be speaking right in to the mic on the phone.

Anything good for this?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I tried a shitload of them while I was in school and eventually fell in love with Virtual Recorder. It's free, so easy to try out. A lot of the recording apps out there have trouble with filesaving-related issues.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Splizwarf posted:

I tried a shitload of them while I was in school and eventually fell in love with Virtual Recorder. It's free, so easy to try out. A lot of the recording apps out there have trouble with filesaving-related issues.

This looks good*. Thanks!

*Well actually it looks ugly as sin, but it seems to function really well!

• Locked thread