Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
If I bought my copy via GoG, does anybody know where I can find the serial number to import it into Steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Noreaus posted:

If I bought my copy via GoG, does anybody know where I can find the serial number to import it into Steam?

Unfortunately I dont think the GoG copy comes with a steam key...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SlayVus posted:

So Burst Laser II TIMES 4 is insane. Especially with Gold Weapons Officer, 2 Automatic Reloaders and Weapon Preignitor.

I beat all phases of the final boss on normal before I took 5 total hull damage.

The Pre-ignitor is such a awesome add-on since first strike ability at the beginning of a fight really reduces the damage risk since you can quickly gently caress up shields or weapons systems.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Argh the 2nd stage of the boss is a total bastard

Krenium
May 28, 2012
I was having an awesome run with the Kestrel (got the type B unlock) and then this:

In case you're wondering how it's even possible, the humans entered my ship via a shipless boarding event at a sun. I had to jump to get away from the flares while they were still aboard. The next location? I got four mantis dudes on my ship.

Update: I lost everyone who couldn't fit into the med-bay. Which is three fully-upgraded dudes. Painful. But I survived.

Krenium fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 17, 2012

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Oh my god so much wasted potential. I didn't realize that if you set an Ion gun to autofire at anything but the shields, it will hit the shields and disable them every time they come back online. I've been having it shoot the shield directly all this time.

E: Nevermind this I'm an idiot and it doesn't work if they have more than 1 shield.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 17, 2012

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Buying a Burst Laser II in Sector 1 and finding a Burst Laser III in Sector 2 carried this Rock Cruiser (Type A) to victory on Normal.

:patriot:Casualties :patriot:
    Sector 4: A female rocklady ate a missile.
    Sector 6: I lost my ragtag rockmen invasion duo in Sector 6 when an enemy vessel warped away with them on board. Both had Rank 2 Combat. :saddowns:
    Sector 7: Fresh Zoltan recruit died during an invasion of 6(!) mantises.
    Final Battle: Everyone made it out okay. :911:

I only play on Normal.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Found a Zoltan Monolith and decided to "get my reward", and got a nuke launcher that heals my crew. Can target my ship. Got nine lasers and decided the single shot now looks redundant.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

I had something really strange happen where I had neglected to notice that my O2 system was down till I was really low on oxygen. I managed to repair it before I had hit 0% oxygen, and the oxygen started going up....then just dropped like a stone and eventually killed my entire crew. I had no doors left open and no fires on my ship. I just stopped generating oxygen. I even jumped before everyone died just to make sure it wasn't some environmental event.

I was doing really, really well that run too. :(

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The Osprey/Nisos is pretty nice. The artillery beam gets a little getting used to and it sometimes misses like crazy. But on the Flagship? It's pretty much 3 artillery beams and lights out.

I personally HATED the Osprey's layout so I went with the Nisos. Got a victory on the Nisos' maiden voyage. Had some dicey sector early sectors but once I got artillery up to 4 and a second burst laser, it was pretty clear sailing. Had a very dicey moment in the final sector where I went into p3 with like 6 hull points so I had to warp away to a repair facility and reengage P3 at the last possible second.

Also ended up not using teleporter or cloak. Feels nice! Although for some reason my score is in the pits despite a normal game - 3.5k compared to my first normal victory at 4.3k in the Kestrel.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I had something really strange happen where I had neglected to notice that my O2 system was down till I was really low on oxygen. I managed to repair it before I had hit 0% oxygen, and the oxygen started going up....then just dropped like a stone and eventually killed my entire crew. I had no doors left open and no fires on my ship. I just stopped generating oxygen. I even jumped before everyone died just to make sure it wasn't some environmental event.

I was doing really, really well that run too. :(

A small hull breach somewhere perhaps?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Finally beat this game. gently caress you boss ship, gently caress you!!!!!

Only strategy I can recommend is getting at least 2X shields ASAP and then getting at least 2x beam weapons. I ended the game with 3 shield pips and 3 beams weapons with 1 torpedo weapon. T

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Rascyc posted:

I personally HATED the Osprey's layout so I went with the Nisos. Got a victory on the Nisos' maiden voyage. Had some dicey sector early sectors but once I got artillery up to 4 and a second burst laser, it was pretty clear sailing. Had a very dicey moment in the final sector where I went into p3 with like 6 hull points so I had to warp away to a repair facility and reengage P3 at the last possible second.
The Nisos' layout is really awesome when it comes to dealing with borders; upgrade your doors and just vent the entire rear half of the ship and while keeping your crew in the front and close both doors to the centre airlock and enemies always die before they bust down the door to your medlab.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Fire bombs are rediculously handy against the boss ship. The O2 system replaces oxygen faster than the fires will combust so the fires will permanently burn the weapon systems/drone room once the crew is dead.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Can you beam through the green Zoltan super shield?

Don't want to accidentally fry my troopers.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

Can you beam through the green Zoltan super shield?

Don't want to accidentally fry my troopers.

It'll keep you from doing so at all, no.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Sighence posted:

It'll keep you from doing so at all, no.
This is however, not true of boarding drone (who will helplessly splat into the Zoltan shield).

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

gibbed posted:

This is however, not true of boarding drone (who will helplessly splat into the Zoltan shield).

The best part is if you get an early event against a zoltan ship that disables your engines when using the Mantis Ship B (which has no weapons and only a teleporter and a boarding drone) and they can't penetrate your shields either so you're just stuck in permanent limbo!

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I suck at boarding, any tips on how not to because it's annoying having pirates just walk right over him all the time.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hex editing this game is kind of hard to do. All I can really do is change like Ion lasers to different Ion lasers and Burst Lasers into different Burst lasers. I can also only seem to change Mantis into Zoltans(Or Vice Versa) or Rocks into Engi(Or Vise Versa).

I haven't figured out how to change one weapon into another different type or change crew members that have different race NAME lengths.

To get the most out of the Red-Tail, Type-B Kestrel, you really need 4 BL2.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Got sick of losing on Normal so I beat the game for the first time on Easy. Weapon Preignitor + an ion bomb + a fire bomb makes the final boss a walk in the park. Well, until you run out of missiles.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

What's the trick to teleporting your crew back from the enemy ship? I clicked the teleport back button, clicked on all my ships various rooms, nothing happened, I also highlighted my away crew then clicked the teleport back button and still nothing.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Oh my goodness. When given a choice, always choose the stasis pod. The special crewman you get out of it is insanely awesome for boarding actions. Beam him and a mantis aboard an enemy ship, lock down the room, murder the inhabitants, sabotage the equipment while the enemy bangs on the door, beam out giggling.

I was confident my strategy would beat the flagship, but I lost the special crewman in an unfortunate teleporter accident during phase 1 and ended up getting overwhelmed by drones in phase 2, since I couldn't beam my rear end-kicker over to lock down the drone room. Still, one of my better runs.

quote:

What's the trick to teleporting your crew back from the enemy ship? I clicked the teleport back button, clicked on all my ships various rooms, nothing happened, I also highlighted my away crew then clicked the teleport back button and still nothing.

Hit the teleport back button (bottom one), then click on the room your crew is currently standing in on the enemy ship. It'll beam 'em back to the teleporter room.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

I'm either setting myself up to be branded a moron or a savant, but I put up a thread on the FTL forums requesting linked volleys for weapons. Autofire is fantastic, but what isn't fantastic is spraying worthless beam weapons against a fully charged shield while your ion guns charge, or your lasers being too spaced out and not piercing the shield layers.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just beat it on easy. After I got my second burst laser 2 everything just became really, really easy. Game of the year so far! I wish there were more to it though.

edit: wait, sorry, forgot about dark souls. not game of the year but well worth the $$$!

redreader fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 18, 2012

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Vengarr posted:

Hit the teleport back button (bottom one), then click on the room your crew is currently standing in on the enemy ship. It'll beam 'em back to the teleporter room.

sob! Thanks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Control Volume posted:

Got sick of losing on Normal so I beat the game for the first time on Easy. Weapon Preignitor + an ion bomb + a fire bomb makes the final boss a walk in the park. Well, until you run out of missiles.

And it's also amusing if you get lucky enough to stack multiple Auto-loaders with some good beam weapons.

Kestrel-B is pretty much my favorite ship due to good airlock layout which makes flushing intruders or putting out fires really easy.

Also putting the med bay right next to the teleport room makes hit and run tactics even more effective since it speeds up healing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I can't win. I don't have enough firepower to cause lasting damage (what I can manage by bombing the shield room gets fixed while it cloaks) and I just don't have enough bomb ammo. It was all over after my mantis got killed trying to bomb/assault the medibay, they cloaked earlier than I expected.

I wish I had remembered to swap in the hull beamer instead of the firebeam. I never found a single non-beam/missile weapon during the game, except for a heavy laser early on I couldn't afford. :negative:

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't win. I don't have enough firepower to cause lasting damage (what I can manage by bombing the shield room gets fixed while it cloaks) and I just don't have enough bomb ammo. It was all over after my mantis got killed trying to bomb/assault the medibay, they cloaked earlier than I expected.

I wish I had remembered to swap in the hull beamer instead of the firebeam. I never found a single non-beam/missile weapon during the game, except for a heavy laser early on I couldn't afford. :negative:

You can jump away, find a repair station to get more missiles, and change your weapons if you want.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It wouldn't have mattered, due to the way the map was set up the flagship would've reached the Fed fleet before I could get rearmed, and the number of missiles I would likely get from the repair station would maybe only get my through the first form.

No, there was only one way out...

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

SlayVus posted:

So Burst Laser II TIMES 4 is insane. Especially with Gold Weapons Officer, 2 Automatic Reloaders and Weapon Preignitor.

I beat all phases of the final boss on normal before I took 5 total hull damage.

That's how I beat the final boss just now - 4x Burst Laser II.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fighting the Boss sort of relies on luck in getting the right gear but tips I found to make the fight easier:
-Kill off their weapon station crew by beaming in boarding parties
-Time cloak to avoid most of the more annoying attacks like the missile barrage
-Hopefully you have enough weapons/drones to burn through the shields such as some nice Beam II/III weapons
-For Phase 2 make sure to quickly kill off the drone control room
-Helps to have a hull-repair drone to repair in the middle of the fight or fix your ship in between phases. Three different forms makes it endurance fight even if you do things right

The final fight pretty makes uses all the skills you learned in previous sectors such as quickly getting rid of boarding parties, making good use of your boarding parties/keep them alive with the med bay, managing weapon systems for maximum damage and ship damage control for things such as quickly getting rid of fires.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Balon posted:

That's how I beat the final boss just now - 4x Burst Laser II.

:argh: This game continues to mock me. I can't wait for a run with some good rolls. I'll pray to the RNG.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Good roll is an understatement when it comes to having four Burst Laser 2s. That's like a once in a week roll or something.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh Geez, automated reloaders stack when you have two! With a Pre-igniter, I can get two Burst/Halbred volleys off before my max-upgrade Artillery beam fires :stare:

E: Gack, found a Heavy Laser 2 to complete my arsenal

E2: Aaaand the Flagship never stood a chance!

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 17, 2012

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

Oh Geez, automated reloaders stack when you have two! With a Pre-igniter, I can get two Burst/Halbred volleys off before my max-upgrade Artillery beam fires :stare:

Yup you can stack them nicely for 30 percent faster fire rate for all your weapons.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Okay, this was just weird. I thought the stasis research was a one-off event so when I found the stasis pod ship right after I had it (same sector, like 2 nodes later), I took the weapon instead.

Then next sector I found the stasis research event again. And the node after that (lit. next to it) I found it yet again. Then in the next sector I found the stasis pod again. And next sector I managed to get the stasis research event again, and they opened it. The crystal dudes are really nifty. Shame Sector 7 was Rock Controlled and not Rock Homeworlds, but oh well. I was in a Rock Cruiser too.

In other news I really like how the Rock Cruiser Type-B looks and works early game, but not being able to vent really sucks, and you get dicked over really quickly if you can't find good weapons after sector 3. Type-B Krestrel is still the superior ship among the ones I've played so far.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nephilm posted:

Type-B Krestrel is still the superior ship among the ones I've played so far.

Yeah it doesn't have unique special abilities but the effective ship layout makes up for it.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

etalian posted:

Yeah it doesn't have unique special abilities but the effective ship layout makes up for it.

Secret Ship B is the best ship ever.

Spoilers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Welp I did it. I lost on my very first jump in the first sector with the Kestral A. An energy bomber with green shields. Their first missile took out oxygen and lit a fire. Try to vent it. Their second one hit the door control, also lighting a fire. Send one guy to solve that fire when a third missile lights my weapons on fire. The oxygen fire spread out of the vented rooms and...well...

:cripes:

• Locked thread