Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

Sunbro for 30 humanity, warp to Daughters of Chaos bonfire, join, and feed her up, warp to Sunlight Altar, rejoin.

For Darkmoons, swap between them when the mood strikes.

Yeah, that seems far and away the best idea actually, thanks.

Which area gets the most co-op action? Anor Londo was crazy popular when I was 40something, but after TotG I need to find somewhere to just lend a hand and get crazy souls, I should have done some more serious co-oping before, usually just co-oped with a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What soul level are you? Sorcery builds usually want help on Seath, since it's pretty difficult to get his tail when playing solo. I've had good luck getting summoned in tomb of the giants as well.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

What soul level are you? Sorcery builds usually want help on Seath, since it's pretty difficult to get his tail when playing solo. I've had good luck getting summoned in tomb of the giants as well.

Like 67/8, I can go higher but I'm holding back to do some more co-op with someone who's keeping themselves levelled for, I think, Darkwraiths.

After Tomb I'll go throw it down in the Archives near the first bonfire, see if that gets some attention.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

THE PWNER posted:

Speaking of noobs with Drake Swords, when the hell do I get an upgrade for this thing? I tried +5ing various weapons but even with str factored in they're still worse. It seemed to fall of really quickly too so being unable to get an upgrade sucks. I want to effortlessly 3 shot things again :(

It isn't really worth upgrading. Try playing with some of the other weapons and find one you like, then upgrade it. The Drake Sword is nice early because it can let you kill some pretty burly enemies with relative ease, but really you need to get comfortable with something else and just use the Drake in a pinch. When people say "it will make you lazy", what they really mean is "it discourages you from trying new weapons". If you like killing stuff in as few hits as possible, look to the Claymore, Zweihander, or Black Knight Sword (if you can find one)

edit:VVVV I see....

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 18, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think when he says "an upgrade for it", he means "a better weapon"

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Cut off Gaping Dragon's tail. It's like the Drake sword, but better!

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else having a weird issue with DSFix where after some time running perfectly fine at a stable 30 fps the performance suddenly drops out? It even does it if I just load up the game and stand in one place.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

gibbed posted:

Keep the black eye orb in your inventory and you'll automatically be notified when you're in the right place.

Oh, so that's how it works. If I use it in Human form in the place it started reacting, I'll get to go kill that fuckhead?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

muike posted:

Oh, so that's how it works. If I use it in Human form in the place it started reacting, I'll get to go kill that fuckhead?

Don't need to be human I don't believe. Watch out though, he's farming invaders so its not going to be an honorable duel.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
What's the usual and/or highest SL people have in the Tomb of Giants? (NG)

I'm trying some Darkmoon invading, but i don't know how high i should level to be around the same as most others in the area.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
The problem is there's no usual order for going through the post-Anor Londo areas. Soul levels in those areas tend to be spread out, usually from 50-80.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

THE PWNER posted:

Speaking of noobs with Drake Swords, when the hell do I get an upgrade for this thing? I tried +5ing various weapons but even with str factored in they're still worse. It seemed to fall of really quickly too so being unable to get an upgrade sucks. I want to effortlessly 3 shot things again :(

Do you plan to pump a lot of strength? And I mean a LOT of strength? Well, this might be an option for you someday. http://darksouls.wikidot.com/dragon-greatsword

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

HenryEx posted:

What's the usual and/or highest SL people have in the Tomb of Giants? (NG)

I'm trying some Darkmoon invading, but i don't know how high i should level to be around the same as most others in the area.

Remembering with Darkmooning that your invasion range is +10% higher than your SL, and everyone below you. It's opposite for Darkwraiths, which is why SL1 Darkwraith builds are popular.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Barudak posted:

Don't need to be human I don't believe. Watch out though, he's farming invaders so its not going to be an honorable duel.

It's okay, I've got my parry and riposte swagger on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

muike posted:

It's okay, I've got my parry and riposte swagger on.

Best of luck killing the three of them so that you can restore a girl to life and make her long for death. You Monster.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Bring her back to life? gently caress that, everyone dies.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anti-Hero posted:

Remembering with Darkmooning that your invasion range is +10% higher than your SL, and everyone below you. It's opposite for Darkwraiths, which is why SL1 Darkwraith builds are popular.

It seems to be 10 levels +10% and amount of sin downwards. I only ever invaded low level people if they had big amounts of sin.

While we're on invading in ToG, i know that others can't see your character's innate little light halo. How about the Skull lantern or the Sunlight Maggot? Do others see the light from that?

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Just had what may be one of the most frustrating moments I've experienced so far. This includes believing there would be a merchant that sold purging stones on the other side of Blighttown, so I fought across the entirety of it after being cursed being 1 or 2 shot by everything.

Fighting Ornsteing and Smough, I run past all the guys in the way because it's easier and I don't want to risk messing up and having to use a flask. This apparently bites me in the rear end, as a second after I go through the fog door, a Royal Sentinel (that I now can't hear) hits me. This knocks me down, and I stand up right in front of an Ornstein bolt. Downed, stand in time for Smough to flip me. Stand into Ornstein's Spear. Dead.

I can kinda understand shoddy coding with regards to swinging weapons around pillars and when you're going in a little bit into the wall, but this guy nearly put his whole goddamn halberd through a solid surface. That's just plain ridiculous. on top of the many, many problems this game has had (both due to and outside of the porting), I'm getting tempted to write this off as unplayable.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Has there been any custom fixes since the source code been posted? The fix site hasn't been updated in a few days and haven't seen any posted yet. That and what about the custom textures, we had a big bunch on the 12th and now nothing.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

HenryEx posted:

It seems to be 10 levels +10% and amount of sin downwards. I only ever invaded low level people if they had big amounts of sin.

While we're on invading in ToG, i know that others can't see your character's innate little light halo. How about the Skull lantern or the Sunlight Maggot? Do others see the light from that?

Nope. It makes Co-op a little less useful than you might expect, fairly disappointing. It does mean you can invade without being spotted easily, though.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Rirse posted:

Has there been any custom fixes since the source code been posted? The fix site hasn't been updated in a few days and haven't seen any posted yet. That and what about the custom textures, we had a big bunch on the 12th and now nothing.
For custom textures you'll probably want to watch reddit.com/r/DarkSoulsMods (I don't know of any other place posting mods but I have not looked).

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Where are you in the game? I was 2-3 shotting things with the drake sword in blighttown. Sen's Fortress is pretty much the wakeup call telling you that your Drake Sword wont cut it anymore, I found.

edit: okay

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 18, 2012

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Why does everyone i invade in the Tomb of Giants immediately quit the game. :(

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I thought you guys said the Catacombs were meant to be simple! :argh:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I actually said this in a much less spoilery way. If the dude isn't to Sen's yet, why ruin the surprise?

This thread is a bad enough minefield of untagged spoilers as it is. It's basically unreadable unless you've already beaten the game or don't care about being massively spoiled on everything in the game. I don't really see the point in having two dark souls threads that are both spoiler city. Instead of doing separate PC and console threads, we should have just had spoiler and non spoiler threads.

Oh well, too late for that now.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Where should I put my sign down if I want to help kill bosses and I'm level 68? I need to kill some more bosses so I can join the sunbro brigade.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I actually said this in a much less spoilery way. If the dude isn't to Sen's yet, why ruin the surprise?

Because I didn't think it'd be that big of a deal? :shobon:
I went back and edited the post, though.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Heti posted:

Where should I put my sign down if I want to help kill bosses and I'm level 68? I need to kill some more bosses so I can join the sunbro brigade.

DLC, Duke's Archives, Tomb of Giants, Kiln, Demon's Ruins/Lost Izalith.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Moldy Taxes posted:

Because I didn't think it'd be that big of a deal? :shobon:
I went back and edited the post, though.

I'd say that's one of the biggest surprises in the entire game.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'd say that's one of the biggest surprises in the entire game.

I dunno, it's hard for anything location-related to be a surprise when most of the major ones are surrounded by "Be wary of X" signs. It's also why I think bloodstains in front of every following one are hilarious; if you already know one exists, why aren't you testing every other one you come across?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

KaneTW posted:

DLC, Duke's Archives, Tomb of Giants, Kiln, Demon's Ruins/Lost Izalith.

Don't put your sign in Lost Izalith, it's not really a good boss for sunbroing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So after figuring out the gimmick in the Catacombs it's been fairly smooth, and I even managed to find a coffin to sleep in - did it purely for ~my immersion~ :v: - only to realise I had the opportunity to swear allegiance to Nito himself! I got a big sword and a miracle from it, and offered a few items that I had on me, but nothing else happened. Am I supposed to be getting something more or will that come later?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

So after figuring out the gimmick in the Catacombs it's been fairly smooth, and I even managed to find a coffin to sleep in - did it purely for ~my immersion~ :v: - only to realise I had the opportunity to swear allegiance to Nito himself! I got a big sword and a miracle from it, and offered a few items that I had on me, but nothing else happened. Am I supposed to be getting something more or will that come later?

Another miracle, and you can try to do broken reverse-invasions, but that Covenant is broken, sorry buddy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

poptart_fairy posted:

Those items you gave to Nito were eyes of death, and what you're supposed to do is use them to curse other worlds. If you use an eye of death, you emit an aura that attempts to curse the world of 3 other players. Cursed worlds have black phantom enemies spawn which are tougher than normal. The idea is that the victim of the curse will then invade your world to stop the curse, and if you kill their phantom you get more eyes of death. So you use curses to lure players, and then kill their phantoms for the eyes, repeat.

That's how it works in theory. In practice, it's loving awful and nothing ever happens. First, YOU have to be in an area where you haven't killed the boss, which is a major limit already. Second, the cursed player has to find your summon sign, which moves with you. So if you aren't standing still in an obvious spot, they will have a lot of trouble invading you. Third, even if you don't get anyone to invade, your eye won't be refunded. You'll have to farm basilisk for their eyes, as they are the only renewable source of them.

I spent like 5 hours gravelording and never got invaded. It's terribly boring.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh right, I was under the impression it would be a semi-permanent spell thingy or the like. Ah well. :(

I'll continue poking around the Covenants for now then. I love the idea of that faction but if it's broken like you guys say it is, then welp.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Yeah, I always thought Gravelords had the coolest-sounding invasion but they way they implimented it was terrible. If you really want the reward items, just pop humanity and go farm eyes from Basilisks.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

People don't use the Kiddie Mask unless you also use a Lightning Uchigatana, Grass Crest Shield, and probably the Gold Hemmed Set sans mask.

drat thing's like part of a uniform or something.

Replace Ltng Uchi with the Gravelord sword and you get half the people invading in the Burg and a large portion of low SL runs that I seem to see constantly.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Since you can skip the first Taurus Demon entirely, does that mean you can Gravelord in the upper Burg anytime, if you play your cards right?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well, yes, but you're still Gravelording. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't put your sign in Lost Izalith, it's not really a good boss for sunbroing.

Yeah, duh. Brain's not working :v:

• Locked thread