Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Well that was certainly a derp-y goal, but I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty
Hmmm... so is that Wambach or Morgan's goal?

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

MrXmas posted:

Hmmm... so is that Wambach or Morgan's goal?

They announced it as Wambach's

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Walsh and Rapinoe hugging :3:

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Did the Australian keeper get hurt early on or something? I haven't seen her take one of her own goal kicks all night.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Morgan :allears:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Lamont Cranston posted:

Did the Australian keeper get hurt early on or something? I haven't seen her take one of her own goal kicks all night.

She wasn't taking (edit: some of) them on Sunday either. Must've been all our noisemakers.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I think we're sacrificing Australia on the pitch to make sure we get a good replacement for Pia.

6 - 2 now. Rapinoe FK into the box, Leroux with the diving header to beat the keeper who looks like she really doesn't want to be out there anymore.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 20, 2012

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Leroux, drat.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

91-10-6. Happy trails Pia.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Pia's on the edge of tears. drat.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I need an emoticon that represents Leroux's goal celebrations. Maybe :hawaaaafap:, :supaburn:, or :woop:

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004
So the hump on back of the Australian players was a GPS device. Pretty cool I guess if they can somehow use that data effectively.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

CPColin posted:

I need an emoticon that represents Leroux's goal celebrations. Maybe :hawaaaafap:, :supaburn:, or :woop:

They are the best!

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Conartist posted:

So the hump on back of the Australian players was a GPS device. Pretty cool I guess if they can somehow use that data effectively.

At least some of our players were wearing them during the last game too. Wonder what added benefit they'll give they can't already get from the camera system which can track speed and distance already.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Heat maps to see where on the field they're spending most of their time. Maybe stuff like being able to see how many passes they made, how many successful, to where, what shots, etc.

Highlights are out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd3udbFc5tw

This game had a lot of weird (but hilarious) goals.

Thanks Pia!!

Next up:
U-17 USWNT WWC on Sept. 22.
USWNT vs. Germany in October.

Maybe we'll have a new coach by then. Hope we choose a good one. (Do not choose Bini or Riley. Nooooooo, don't.) Also, double digit interest in being the coach so that's good, I guess. Wide net.

We're also hearing about another three friendlies after in November. I'm really hoping we can get France to come over and that we don't settle for Mexico or Canada. Hey, it'd be good preparation for the Euros, right?

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Watching these highlights is making me so mad at myself for missing this game. Had to pause the video for a few minutes and just laugh after the third US goal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what's the real story on why Pia is leaving? She just wants to go back home?

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yes. Hired to be Sweden's new coach in advance of Women's Euros.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Sweden needs any help they can get so that Germany doesn't win the Euros (again)

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

grvm posted:

At least some of our players were wearing them during the last game too. Wonder what added benefit they'll give they can't already get from the camera system which can track speed and distance already.

A bunch of European outfits use them. Arsenal have been using them in training and pre-season for years. They're mainly used for distance covered, speed, and (I think, since they're strapped specifically around the chest) heart rate. It's way faster than pouring over video footage which might make it more cost efficient, as well.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Vinestalk posted:

A bunch of European outfits use them. Arsenal have been using them in training and pre-season for years. They're mainly used for distance covered, speed, and (I think, since they're strapped specifically around the chest) heart rate. It's way faster than pouring over video footage which might make it more cost efficient, as well.

Isn't the MLS adopting something like this for next year? They all wore it at the all-star game, but I don't remember it making them all look like they had scoliosis

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Lamont Cranston posted:

Isn't the MLS adopting something like this for next year? They all wore it at the all-star game, but I don't remember it making them all look like they had scoliosis

I can't wait to see coaches with iPads.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/07/19/mls-adidas-launch-first-smart-soccer-league-2013

I wonder if the data will become public.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iiABN9VHCI

Ahahahhahaa. This is so awkward. Anyway, it is an intro to the U-17 team. Just one more day!

BTW, coming into this tournament, I'd say the 'buzz' has been around:

Summer Green - Girl scored a ton during the qualifiers and she's wrecking the ACC.
Morgan Andrews - Gatorade HS POTY; holding midfielder who's been called into u-23 camps
Jane Campbell - Supposedly a very promising GK. Another player who's been called into the u-23 camps

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Katreus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iiABN9VHCI

Ahahahhahaa. This is so awkward. Anyway, it is an intro to the U-17 team. Just one more day!

BTW, coming into this tournament, I'd say the 'buzz' has been around:

Summer Green - Girl scored a ton during the qualifiers and she's wrecking the ACC.
Morgan Andrews - Gatorade HS POTY; holding midfielder who's been called into u-23 camps
Jane Campbell - Supposedly a very promising GK. Another player who's been called into the u-23 camps

I've been meaning to ask you. What's your connection to the girl's teams? You seem to be very knowledgeable and post pretty insightful stuff, way beyond what normally gets posted here. I figure you've got to be a part of the USSF family somehow.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

Tigren posted:

I've been meaning to ask you. What's your connection to the girl's teams? You seem to be very knowledgeable and post pretty insightful stuff, way beyond what normally gets posted here. I figure you've got to be a part of the USSF family somehow.

That's flattering, but no, not at all. I'm just a fan who follows the teams and watches a lot of women's soccer.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

France vs. USA U-17 starting.

http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/matches/round=258195/match=300204242/lineup.html?intcmp=livecoverage_box_u17womensworldcup_en

Line up. Let's go USA!

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
And ESPN's stream is down. Boo.

And it's back!

I didn't actually realize that it'd be streaming without commentary, but hey, at least the sound kicked in and the video's back now.

Seems like a fun crowd. More U-S-A earlier, but now the French seem to be bringing in more elaborate chants.

Dav fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 22, 2012

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Dav posted:

And ESPN's stream is down. Boo.

And it's back!

I didn't actually realize that it'd be streaming without commentary, but hey, at least the sound kicked in and the video's back now.

Seems like a fun crowd. More U-S-A earlier, but now the French seem to be bringing in more elaborate chants.
I'm working so I'm not able to watch live, but are there actual people at these games? The u-20 wwc made me feel like my rec league games had higher attendances.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
The camera wasn't spending a lot of time on wide shots of the stands, but it looked like solid attendance as far as I could tell; I certainly heard the crowd getting excited.

It looked to me like the US should've got a goal instead of that second yellow, but without commentary I didn't have anybody to tell me why I was wrong (or that I was right, as the case may be, but I am most certainly NOT the ref.)

Katreus
May 31, 2011

Yellow on Green was due to the fact that she kicked the ball in after the whistle. Frustration foul and carded for (I'm guessing) unsportsmanlike conduct.

FT 0-0. US is lucky to escape with a tie. They had 3 shots to France's 20+, midfield was bad, passing nonexistent. Horrible to watch. The RB runs too far forward and takes herself out of the play, there's only one outlet option in a CM running the backline, the other CM nowhere to be seen -- the entire spacing was off and too spread out. This meant there was a lot of time passing between CBs before booting it forward: the US didn't understand how to handle pressure.

The US also doesn't seem to understand how to make themselves available as a passing option and they didn't have the inclination or don't have the fitness to challenge passers on defense relentlessly like the US U-20s and USWNT can do.

At the U-17 level, the games are either blow outs or struggles due to the inconsistency. We'll do okay against Gambia, I expect.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
(Whoever the manager is of the u-17's) must walk imo

Katreus
May 31, 2011

Albertin Montoya is the coach. He runs a youth club in California and was the coach of the Bay Area Gold Pride in the WPS. Didn't do so well in his 1st year (close to last) but won the WPS his second year.

Of course, I'm not sure how much coaching you need to do to win the WPS when you have Marta, Camille Abily, Shannon Boxx, Christine Sinclair, Ali Riley, Kelley O'Hara, Rachel Buehler, and Nicole Barnhart on your team...

(But as I say this, the LA Sol did lose in the WPS championship the previous year.)

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

grvm posted:

I'm working so I'm not able to watch live, but are there actual people at these games? The u-20 wwc made me feel like my rec league games had higher attendances.

So, did a quick look at the official website for stadium details: the France-US game that seemed well-attended was in a 12,000-seat stadium, whereas the Japan-Brazil game I'm watching now has a practically-empty 3,000-seat stadium, which sounds more like what you're describing.

Edit: Switched over to the Uruguay-China game for comparison purposes and Uruguay's goalie just got sent off with a red card. Ouch.
Pretty empty there too, but probably rather more people (capacity 6,700).

Dav fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 23, 2012

Katreus
May 31, 2011

Japan had bigger stadiums too so the atmosphere may feel less despite attendance, but from looking at the numbers, looks like these games are pretty well attended. The U-20 games were mostly 2k-4k attendance with outliers for Japan's games.

For U-17:

30,250 attended the Azerbaijian - Colombia match.

9000 attended NK vs. Gambia.

8,100 for France vs. US.

1,900 for Brazil vs. Japan.

3,000 for Uruguay vs. China.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

U-17 game today.

US vs. Gambia - Should be a win. We need to score a fair amount of goals just in case for GD (NK scored 11 on them). It'll be 8 am EST.

France vs. DPRK will be very important for group placement, but to be safe, US will want to, of course, win today and win or draw against DPRK, which would ensure our progression to elimination stage.

Edit: It's halftime, no one's scored a goal in the France vs. DPRK game -- :aaa: How bad is Gambia? Might this be 3 scoreless ties between France, US, and DPRK and come down to GD against Gambia???? :tinfoil:

Edit 2: :roflolmao: Someone scored a goal! And then the other team equalized like 15 seconds later!

quote:

RI Un Sim (59')
Kadidiatou DIANI (60')

Okay, so it might not be a scoreless draw...

Edit 3: 1-1 FT France-DPRK. I hope we score a lot of goals on Gambia. It's looking like GD will play a rather large role. (That or we beat NK.)

In other news, Lindsey Horan, U20 USWNT player (injured before u20 tournament so pulled out) and girl who skipped playing at UNC to go 'pro', debuted against St. Etienne and scored a goal. PSG won 5-0. (PSG is still missing one of their CMs, famed German international Bresonik, and a recently signed forward, Sweden international Asllani.)

I'm thinking we're going to have problems if the goal is to chase GD in Gambia. Our forwards are not scoring! Ugh.

Courtesy of Gilmoy -

quote:

USA (Albertin Montoya): 4 changes: Reid(?) for LB #7 Gabbi Miranda, Stanton(?) for #10(c)[y] Morgan Andrews, Raben stays in for CB #12 Mandy Freeman (injury? was subbed at just 13'), Munerlyn for #19 Margaret Purce.
21 Darian Jenkins, 6[y] Summer Green, 8 Amber Munerlyn
11 Antoniette Payne, 17 Andi Sullivan, 16 Morgan Stanton
3 Brittany Basinger, 5(c) Maddie Bauer, 13 Lizzy Raben, 14 Morgan Reid
1 Jane Campbell

Gambia (Buba Jallow): 3 changes: #6 Ndey Beyai, #8 Penda Bah, #15 Fatoumata Gibba.
10 Adama Tamba, 12 Awa Demba
9 Sainey Sissohore, 19 Metta Sanneh, 7 Fatou Darboe, 16 Serreh Jatta
11 Awa Tamba, 2(c) Amie Jarju, 17 Fatou Fatty, 5 Binta Colley
1 Aminata Gaye

1. The youngest player in the tournament (13, a Gambian) is owning us in the early going.

2. Our best performing player is a GK. ... But that's not going to help with the GD.

I guess if we can't score goals in the run of play, we'll just get our fwds PKs.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 25, 2012

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, the PK was nicely taken and all, but after hearing that 11-goal figure I was expecting a bit more this half...

Due respect to Gambia for coming back after that 11-0 game.

Edit: Okay, a nice way to start the second half there. Any idea why we switched keepers?

Dav fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 25, 2012

Katreus
May 31, 2011

My new favorite comment:

quote:

I can tell you what: no ref is going to award 11 PKs.

Luckily, we've scored a non PK goal now.

Dav posted:

Yeah, the PK was nicely taken and all, but after hearing that 11-goal figure I was expecting a bit more this half...

Due respect to Gambia for coming back after that 11-0 game.

France quite clearly outplayed us last game and we were lucky to get a draw. I'm fairly certain North Korea is better than us as well. Hopefully, we'll still be able to grind out a result against them.

quote:

Edit: Okay, a nice way to start the second half there. Any idea why we switched keepers?

Either Campbell's injured (she was down for a little bit 1st half) or our U17 coach is an idiot.

quote:

According to USSF twitter:

Campbell took a kick to the head in the first half from her own defender Mill[er] will play the final 45 minutes.

Gambia GK playing really well but even she can't save the goal when Green's effort deflects off her defender. Unfortunate deflection for Gambia.

(Go for more goals! More!)

Hat trick for Green. Congrats. :) (FIFA's MatchTracker is giving the 61' goal to Green atm, although it could be later corrected to own goal on the Gambian defenders.)

LW Jenkins is doing well to spur some offense, helped create 2 of the 4 goals.

Steamrolling late... Tale of 2 halves. 2nd half does look a lot better than whatever that was in the 1st half. Could have been up more if we had been a bit more clinical in front of goal (and if we could stop being offside).

Have to hope Gambia keeps improving and holds France to under 6 goals.

Welp. Given the point situation, we need to win vs. North Korea. A loss and we're out of the competition. A draw against North Korea brings us into a 3 way point tie w/ France and North Korea. North Korea will definitely go through because they have GD on us. That means we'd have to hope France didn't score as much against Gambia, which is an iffy proposition.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 25, 2012

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
Okay, now it's just a rout.

Edit: Though, as you point out, if it comes down to goal differential...

Dav fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Hoover must be busy or incapacitated or something because she' hasn't posted this yet

• Locked thread