Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

redmercer posted:

I don't keep up on every bit of news from the gaming world so I didn't know that TxSF was going to even be a thing

Yes, Tekken x Street Fighter was announced back when SFxT was. It's been far more downplayed though because the game was announced two years ago when TTT2 was the biggest thing Harada was working on at the time, so the game's only about 10% done currently, don't expect to hear anything about it until next year probably.

Although Harada has already stated a plan he has for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dodgeball posted:

I like the idea of tweaking a character a bit to suit your play-style, provided it doesn't drastically change the character.
I basically feel the exact opposite way here, guess you can't please everyone. The gems were pointless additions that were clearly just a money grab, adding meaningless percentages to your damage/defense. The gem system I envision working is one where there is no dlc, and you get one gem per character. The gems then COULD drastically change your character, because you aren't worrying about balancing the game for people who haven't bought some of them. Basically, something like Cvs2 grooves(even custom grooves, though good luck balancing that), or even umvc3 heroes and heralds would make your choice of gems actually interesting, and not had all the terrible PR over dlc.

I'm content to just let sfxt fail though, I never really had high hopes for it. Hope Capcom doesn't give up on fighting games forever, but we'll live even if they do.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Broken Loose posted:

It's local and Jebailey uses my setups, usually, but I've been having the worst summer so it's 50/50. If I do go, I don't even know what I'd play; Skullgirls is neither patched nor official and I haven't practiced Marvel in almost a year. (If Niddhogg goes I'm there.)

I got an invitation to go but I'm not sure if I can. Was checking to see if any goons were going.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Dodgeball posted:

What, if anything, would have made gems worth putting into the game? I like the idea of tweaking a character a bit to suit your play-style, provided it doesn't drastically change the character. I guess I'm wondering what the genuinely great, initial idea that got butchered WAS before it turned into the cluster gently caress that is SFxT?

They were pretty much a bad idea that was terribly implemented from the start, but I think a lot of people basically reached the point where it was like "Okay, if this stupid bullshit is going to be in the game, maybe it'll at least be so over-the-top broken that it will make the game fun in spite of itself." Instead, we got really exciting tactical decisions like "get +10% defense" or "pay us money and get +15% defense." If it had been more like UMvC3's Heroes & Heralds mode, there was actually a chance that it could've been a stupid, but fun, game.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Arcana Heart's system for customising your character with arcanas is what I think they were aiming for. Instead, as has been said, it became "pay money for a better bonus than everyone else."

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

TxSF is a thing and it's going to be a tekken-style game made by Namco. It also might be a next-gen game.
I really wonder if Namco is going to do it, especially after sfxt's performance.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Honest Thief posted:

I really wonder if Namco is going to do it, especially after sfxt's performance.

They probably will considering every single tekken game sells like gangbusters.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Arcana Heart's system for customising your character with arcanas is what I think they were aiming for. Instead, as has been said, it became "pay money for a better bonus than everyone else."

I don't think they were aiming for that at all. I really don't have any reason to believe that their plan wasn't "pay us money for objectively better characters" and very boring modifications in the first place. It's not like somewhere in production all these wonderful Ideas Guys were told to dismantle all their wonderful plans for deep, meaningful customization.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

They probably will considering every single tekken game sells like gangbusters.
Yeah about that. TTT2 sold ~68k opening week in Japan, which is half as much as T6's opening week and almost as bad as SFxT's. At least it's still popular in arcades?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Consoles are dead in Japan. Game is still doing very well in Japanese arcades and will sell fine on console in Europe and NA.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Shiki Dan posted:

Consoles are dead in Japan. Game is still doing very well in Japanese arcades and will sell fine on console in Europe and NA.

"Consoles are dead in Japan" is the kind of well-researched and objective analysis I come to the fighting games thread to read!

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Let us take a moment of appreciation for Family Fun Arcade and Japan Arcade respectively, two of SoCal's (most beloved) arcades, due to shut down by the end of the year.

Support your local arcades, folks. :smith:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZackHoagie posted:

Let us take a moment of appreciation for Family Fun Arcade and Japan Arcade respectively, two of SoCal's (most beloved) arcades, due to shut down by the end of the year.

TBH I went to both of those once and never went back. Too many broken buttons and joysticks. Either the lk or lp button was dead on every SF machine I used. Between Super Arcade and Round One, I have the all the arcade I need.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Woah, why is FFA shutting down? For such a small space it always seemed to have a decent number of people in it. Then again Arcade Infinity was even busier and got shut down too.

Starting to look like arcades will be a distant memory soon.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

Fauxtool posted:

TBH I went to both of those once and never went back. Too many broken buttons and joysticks. Either the lk or lp button was dead on every SF machine I used. Between Super Arcade and Round One, I have the all the arcade I need.

First they came for FFA, and I did not say anything, for I didn't go to FFA.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Seems to me like a lot of the reason arcades are dying out is because they're run like a turn-key business and they either don't give a poo poo if controls break or honestly don't know how to swap out a button.

ZackHoagie posted:

First they came for FFA, and I did not say anything, for I didn't go to FFA.

Not even ironically, please.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

redmercer posted:

Seems to me like a lot of the reason arcades are dying out is because they're run like a turn-key business and they either don't give a poo poo if controls break or honestly don't know how to swap out a button.

This is how Time-Outs consistently closed down all over Puerto Rico years ago. A long time has passed since the last person hired even knew how to use a soldering iron.

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Question Mark Mound posted:

The thing is Arcanas give WAY more than just modifiers, which can be positive OR negative. They have all unique special moves or additional mechanics that can completely alter a characters playstyle/combos

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Antillese posted:

"Consoles are dead in Japan" is the kind of well-researched and objective analysis I come to the fighting games thread to read!

Are you serious?
Are your feelings really that hurt by the fact a certain category of hardware is not producing profit at a level you expect in a certain country on this Earth?

Look at any Japanese sales chart for the last 3 years. Take note of how many million sellers have been on DS or PSP rather than a console. Check any random week and see how many Top 10 sellers are from the DS/PSP.
Take a look at the most successful franchises in Japan and how many have completely moved away from consoles and are supposed on portable systems only (Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Orded myself the brawl stick on Buy.com today for $30 and planning on changing out the button at a later date, but for now I am wanting to replace the artwork. I already know the details in the OP, but where can I print it out at? The site listed in the OP that does the dirty work for you seems to not have a option for the Street Fighter IV/Brawl Stick style fight sticks anymore, so Kinkos is probably my best bet. Is a specific instructions I need to give them to get it printed?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
You have to do something different for brawlsticks. There's no plexi so most people order a stick-on style thing, but I don't really know the specifics because I've never dealt with it, but search around in SRK tech talk.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Don't do art on the brawlstick, it rarely looks good and doesn't last very long for how much it costs. Instead use 3M DiNoc, which is fake carbon fiber designed for tuner cars. It looks solid, is pretty cheap, and lasts forever.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Shiki Dan posted:

Are you serious?
Are your feelings really that hurt by the fact a certain category of hardware is not producing profit at a level you expect in a certain country on this Earth?

Look at any Japanese sales chart for the last 3 years. Take note of how many million sellers have been on DS or PSP rather than a console. Check any random week and see how many Top 10 sellers are from the DS/PSP.
Take a look at the most successful franchises in Japan and how many have completely moved away from consoles and are supposed on portable systems only (Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts).

My feelings weren't hurt at all. It just seemed like you dropped in a very general statement without any supporting arguments or context which happens quite a bit in this thread. Lots of things are stated as absolute fact when they are actually pretty nuanced.

The above post however provides that context and is a good post. Thanks for providing the perspective on your second post.

Yes, this is a serious post.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Don't do art on the brawlstick, it rarely looks good and doesn't last very long for how much it costs. Instead use 3M DiNoc, which is fake carbon fiber designed for tuner cars. It looks solid, is pretty cheap, and lasts forever.

I probably won't be playing it enough to needing to add the 3M DiNoc to the stick. That said, what size should the replacement skin should be when I print it up?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Try measuring it.
It should be slightly larger than the surface you are covering. You will be cutting it to fit anyways unless you found the template.
Like the one in here I found by googling se stick template. Brawl stick is the same as SE right?
http://driph.com/words/2009/02/howto-add-new-art-to-your-madcatz-fightstick/

If you design it and send me the PSD file I could print it out. I own a print shop and can laminate the poo poo out of it.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 23, 2012

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

ZackHoagie posted:

There aren't any! AHAHA!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
An arcade is going up in my college town (San Marcos, TX) soon. They don't really have any Japanese fighters and focus way more on nostalgia/drunken Mortal Kombat (one of their biggest selling points is that they're BYOB and open late), but they're planning to build a custom SSF4AE cab soon to make the pro players happy. :3:

e: They do have Primal Rage though, which owns because Primal Rage loving owns

CrashTestVictim
Oct 2, 2003

...roink PERFECT.

ZackHoagie posted:

My local arcade was Planet Zero.. hehahe...
Probably the only arcade I've been to that I was ambivalent about its closing.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
My local arcade is Arcade UFO and people do end up going a lot! Its really small but its fun.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Anyone got recommendations for good buttons and sticks. I've heard the Seimitsu LS-58 (I think it's 58) joysticks are very good. I've also heard the Sanwa RG buttons last you a life time. I'm thinking of putting foam in the buttons to make them silent and each cost only 50p.

Also, speaking of local arcade, the Heart Of Gaming will hopefully be making it's debut in London soon. The project is probably a little too ambitious, but I hope it succeeds.

http://youtu.be/2L3lgaVZNzA

Sorry for the lovely phone camera.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Fauxtool posted:

Try measuring it.
It should be slightly larger than the surface you are covering. You will be cutting it to fit anyways unless you found the template.
Like the one in here I found by googling se stick template. Brawl stick is the same as SE right?
http://driph.com/words/2009/02/howto-add-new-art-to-your-madcatz-fightstick/

If you design it and send me the PSD file I could print it out. I own a print shop and can laminate the poo poo out of it.

Thank you, I sent a private message with the PSD file.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

uncleKitchener posted:

Anyone got recommendations for good buttons and sticks. I've heard the Seimitsu LS-58 (I think it's 58) joysticks are very good. I've also heard the Sanwa RG buttons last you a life time. I'm thinking of putting foam in the buttons to make them silent and each cost only 50p.

Also, speaking of local arcade, the Heart Of Gaming will hopefully be making it's debut in London soon. The project is probably a little too ambitious, but I hope it succeeds.

http://youtu.be/2L3lgaVZNzA

Sorry for the lovely phone camera.

LS58-01 and Sanwa buttons are solid. No set of buttons will last you a lifetime, a couple years of solid play at best. You can expect to get about a million presses out of a single Sanwa or Seimitsu button, a little more from more durable American style switches (ie Cherry switches).

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

redmercer posted:

Galloping Ghost in Illinois feels like this even though there's a lot of love to the place. I think the whole arcade is maintained by one guy and it shows. Old Capcom fighters like Darkstalkers and CvS will have broken fierces, and the big showcase cab for SSFIV has had a loose spring in the joystick on the 1P side since they opened. It's a shame, because they have a lot of hard to find games and even complete collections of a series. They even have Ninja Baseball Batman, but the 2P side was kinda hosed the last time I was there. The second player would constantly be switching characters :psyduck: I don't know if that meant the board is dying or what :smith:

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I'd love to see a documentary about the death of the arcade scene. Despite what was posted earlier - all I've heard is that arcades are dying in Japan as well.

The game manufacturers are partially to blame for the Japanese decline, they moved over to a pay-per-play system where the arcade owner not only has to buy and maintain the machines, but also pay a percentage of every single game which used to be where all the profit was.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
As long as we're talking about stick art, does anyone have any links for making/finding/installing some for the Eightarc sticks? Most stuff I find is just for TEs. I mean I'm sure it's a pretty similar process, but I basically have zero experience with anything of the sort and I'd rather not break anything.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

CrashTestVictim posted:

My local arcade was Planet Zero.. hehahe...
Probably the only arcade I've been to that I was ambivalent about its closing.

Holy gently caress, Planet Zero closed? :aaa:

I never got around to going there when I was in Houston, but I kind of wanted to.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Countblanc posted:

As long as we're talking about stick art, does anyone have any links for making/finding/installing some for the Eightarc sticks? Most stuff I find is just for TEs. I mean I'm sure it's a pretty similar process, but I basically have zero experience with anything of the sort and I'd rather not break anything.

It's actually easier than a TE art swap.

First you need to get a replacement top panel:
http://eightarc.com/clear-panel
http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=products&cat=17

Then you need to use a template (you can get one from EightArc or Tek-Innovations) and open it in Photoshop or GIMP.

Then use whatever art you want and get it all nice looking.

After that either export it to a flash drive and take it to Kinko's or get Art to print and cut it for you.

This is a pretty solid breakdown of whats inside your stick and how its put together:
http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/12/srklabs-in-depth-review-eightarc-fusion-ps3pcxbox360-joystick/

coogi
Jun 18, 2004

Bovineicide posted:

Galloping Ghost in Illinois feels like this even though there's a lot of love to the place. I think the whole arcade is maintained by one guy and it shows. Old Capcom fighters like Darkstalkers and CvS will have broken fierces, and the big showcase cab for SSFIV has had a loose spring in the joystick on the 1P side since they opened. It's a shame, because they have a lot of hard to find games and even complete collections of a series. They even have Ninja Baseball Batman, but the 2P side was kinda hosed the last time I was there. The second player would constantly be switching characters :psyduck: I don't know if that meant the board is dying or what :smith:

Galloping Ghost is frustrating because it's out in the middle of nowhere next to a lovely Chinese takeout and a row of surly auto mechanics and I really want them to relocate to Chicago.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
So does MvC Origins come out today? Supposed to have GGPO and all that, I'm expecting something like 3SO? Haven't seen much about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Electromax posted:

So does MvC Origins come out today? Supposed to have GGPO and all that, I'm expecting something like 3SO? Haven't seen much about it.

Came out yesterday. I downloaded it, but haven't tried it out yet. Not that excited about MVC, but I'm a huge MSH fan so that should be fun.

• Locked thread