Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
So Neal Hallford has started an online petition to gauge interest in a spiritual sequel to Betrayal at Krondor: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/make-a-spiritual-sequel-to-the-hit-crpg-betrayal/

The premise is a bit weird ("Help us gather at least 5,000 signatures of fans who will pledge to either give $200 apiece, or raise $200 from among their friends"), and I don't think a petition is that much indicative of how an actual Kickstarter campaign will go, but I've signed it anyway because hey, BETRAYAL AT KRONDOR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
As much as I'm supportive of that initiative, the thing that made Krondor awesome was that it took place in the Riftwar universe - not any of the other things they're calling out in that post. Not that I'm trying to poo poo on other fans' efforts to get a new old-school RPG made but I think that one's going to be a pretty hard sell as they're positioning it now.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
To offer a counterpoint to my arch-nemesis Peas and Rice, I personally had no idea what Riftwar was before playing Betrayal at Krondor, and I really feel like I barely had any idea what it was even after playing Betrayal at Krondor.

I mean, I understand the fact that the game actually had professional quality writing, and that is certainly something to consider. Maybe it was just me, but I got the impression from reading their blurb that they are going to try to work with Feist even though they cannot use Krondor. It DOES say the same creative team as the original, and the "same great storytelling" specifically ... it certainly sounds intriguing.

Hmm, maybe we should also post that teaser-proto-funding thing in the Kickstarter thread?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I thought Betrayal At Krondor already had a spiritual sequel. As in, they started to make a sequel but lost the IP rights.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I'd be fascinated to see how the haircuts of Locklear and co have changed over the last two decades.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Glimpse posted:

I thought Betrayal At Krondor already had a spiritual sequel. As in, they started to make a sequel but lost the IP rights.
It looks like there was little overlap, if any, between the teams that made those two games, though. Certainly having Feist involved this time around alone would make a big difference in feeling like the original, even if we could not really be expected to know what the other original designers brought to the table. Unless they are famous and I am the only one who has never heard their names outside this context.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

RPGs shouldn't have to steal souls to have good writing.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Quarex posted:

It looks like there was little overlap, if any, between the teams that made those two games, though. Certainly having Feist involved this time around alone would make a big difference in feeling like the original, even if we could not really be expected to know what the other original designers brought to the table. Unless they are famous and I am the only one who has never heard their names outside this context.

I remember reading in my InterAction! Magazine that Feist wrote the story for Krondor but wasn't really involved otherwise. But considering I'm dredging that up from 20 years ago I could very well be wrong.

(Note: the original Riftwar books, specifically Magician and its direct sequels, were based on Feist's D&D game.)

This could be great and I'm the last one to poo poo on another geek's party, but the whole "let's see who's going to donate at least $200!" angle seems a little dicey. Just put out a good kickstarter and They Will Come.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I have some questions about Arcanum:

- Is there a way to set turn-based combat to default? Every time combat starts it's in real-time and there go all my bullets.

- Why does everyone hate me? I started as a human tinkerer-apprentice and everyone I meet is loving disgusted by me and I have to grovel for basic interaction :qq:

- What's the deal with the Radcliffe passport you find at the crash site? I ran into a guy named Radcliffe but told him off before I knew what his name was and now he won't talk to me. Should I just drop it?

- My inventory is full of what I assume to be crafting components. Can I safely dump these in a barrel somewhere?

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 27, 2012

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Clanpot Shake posted:

- Is there a way to set turn-based combat to default? Every time combat starts it's in real-time and there go all my bullets.

Should be in the options menu somewhere, as I have mine set to turn-based by default. Note that sometimes the game will glitch out during turn-based and you have to jump into real-time to get things moving again.

Clanpot Shake posted:

- Why does everyone hate me? I started as a human tinkerer-apprentice and everyone I meet is loving disgusted by me and I have to grovel for basic interaction :qq:

Your Beauty stat affects initial disposition as I recall, possibly racial differences as well. At this point the best thing you can do is find a Smoking Jacket and wear it whenever you're not in combat. The clothing shop in Tarant should be guaranteed to have some.

Clanpot Shake posted:

- What's the deal with the Radcliffe passport you find at the crash site? I ran into a guy named Radcliffe but told him off before I knew what his name was and now he won't talk to me. Should I just drop it?

You can toss it if you want, as it's not strictly required for anything. I think you can use it somewhere, but don't take my word on that (it's been way too long since I played).

Clanpot Shake posted:

- My inventory is full of what I assume to be crafting components. Can I safely dump these in a barrel somewhere?

For the most part, yes. Some containers are respawning however (generally waste bins and shop inventories of course) so keep that in mind.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In Arcanum, one thing you really, really need to know is that the spacebar toggles real-time and turn-based combat. You'll want to use it when the engine freaks out and decides that you need to wait for every living thing in the area you're in to take its turn- tap it twice to drop into real-time and then back out.

Also, if you haven't read the Arcanum manual, it is full of helpful information. Also a banana bread recipe, if memory serves.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Pope Guilty posted:

Also, if you haven't read the Arcanum manual, it is full of helpful information. Also a banana bread recipe, if memory serves.

Slightly dry, but actually pretty decent!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Another kickstarter for old-school RPG devs making an old-school RPG. One gimmick is that if they reach two million, they'll make two RPGs, and you can transfer your characters between them for different beginnings and endings. Large amount of endorsements from various game designers as well.

Choppable
Mar 18, 2004

LightWarden posted:

Another kickstarter for old-school RPG devs making an old-school RPG. One gimmick is that if they reach two million, they'll make two RPGs, and you can transfer your characters between them for different beginnings and endings. Large amount of endorsements from various game designers as well.

Donate enough and you can party with John Romero!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

LightWarden posted:

I think Obsidian's spoiled me for detailed-filled Kickstarted updates, because I look at that and think "wow, really thin on details." And yet there's as much as we got with WL2.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

Peas and Rice posted:

Unless you really want to go super-old-school, something like Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment might be right up your ally. Wasteland's a fantastic game but it's REALLY hard to get into it now, especially if your only experience is something like JRPGs on consoles and a couple of sessions of 4th Ed. BG or Torment have plots that revolve around your character, where Wasteland is more of your-party-exploring-the-wilderness and it could be any bunch of rangers / people trying to Do Good (as opposed to "your character(s) specifically are meant to do Great Things.)

I suggest that because in my somewhat limited experience (a couple of Final Fantasy games) JRPGs tend towards the plot-driven "your character specifically is really great" side as opposed to the "your party of adventurers who could be anyone can go kick rear end" side.

Thanks for the recommendations! I was thinking of going a bit more old-school than Baldur's Gate and Torment; I thought if I played something as "alien" as possible to my usual RPG gaming experiences, I'd enjoy BG and Planescape more in the long run. Would M&MIV still be a good recommendation? I've been browsing through the Let's Play thread on World of Xeen and it looks like it could be interesting.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
M&M 3-5 are actually kind of incredible. I played them for the first time earlier this year and I was taken back by how well they hold up. Unlike some old games, they aren't a chore to play at all. The interface is very good and the combat is fast and not overly complicated. Not a lot in the way of story but if you're looking for some fantastic exploration and dungeon crawling, look no further.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

futurememory posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! I was thinking of going a bit more old-school than Baldur's Gate and Torment; I thought if I played something as "alien" as possible to my usual RPG gaming experiences, I'd enjoy BG and Planescape more in the long run. Would M&MIV still be a good recommendation? I've been browsing through the Let's Play thread on World of Xeen and it looks like it could be interesting.

As everyone else will mention, if you are going to play MM4, just get World of Xeen which combines MM4 & MM5 and gives you a 3rd final ending quest line.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Peas and Rice posted:

I think Obsidian's spoiled me for detailed-filled Kickstarted updates, because I look at that and think "wow, really thin on details." And yet there's as much as we got with WL2.
I can certainly see that. And that is probably why every time Project: Eternity updates, I am like "dude, whatever, leave me alone, just work on the game" because I do not care to read about things, like, a year or more before I can actually interact with them. :( I just want to know "oh, fantasy CRPG from people I know will make a good game, here you go, have $250, thanks!"

Which is part of the reason I was ready to immediately back Old School RPG, because even though as someone pointed out in the Kickstarter thread they have been making filthy "casual" games for years, their RPG pedigree overall is amazingly solid, and it would be pretty awesome if this were an unofficial-unofficial Wizardry reboot! Edit: I am not sure if this makes it more or less likely, but they just sent out a backer e-mail ... you are a megacorporation employee exiled to a medieval primitive planet, or something along those lines. HELL YES. I will go quote the e-mail in the Kickstarter thread maybe.

voltron lion force posted:

M&M 3-5 are actually kind of incredible. I played them for the first time earlier this year and I was taken back by how well they hold up. Unlike some old games, they aren't a chore to play at all. The interface is very good and the combat is fast and not overly complicated. Not a lot in the way of story but if you're looking for some fantastic exploration and dungeon crawling, look no further.
Yes. I have been preaching the gospel of "Might & Magic IV/V are the best games in the series" since VI came out. As much as I liked VI/VII/VIII, VI looked more dated than III/IV/V the day it arrived on shelves. Gaming was going through a super-unfortunate phase where it was trying to embrace the future (polygons!) before the technology was ready. Playing games made between like 1995 and 2002 is pretty unsettling a lot of the time because they look worse than games made 5-10 years earlier. :(

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 5, 2012

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
4 character party? This ain't no Wizardry reboot.
:colbert:

Unless...

... it's a Wizardry 4 reboot. :dance:

CrookedB fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 4, 2012

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Well, that makes three kickstarters i've gone in for.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Kuros posted:

As everyone else will mention, if you are going to play MM4, just get World of Xeen which combines MM4 & MM5 and gives you a 3rd final ending quest line.

You should probably just get the MM 6-pack from gog.com. It can't cost more than a boxed copy of MM4. MM3 is very good as well. It's like Xeen but smaller.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

You should probably just get the MM 6-pack from gog.com. It can't cost more than a boxed copy of MM4. MM3 is very good as well. It's like Xeen but smaller.

Yeah I would recommend anyone new to the series to start with MM3 - it's basically the same as 4 and 5 in a lot of ways and is a great game in its own right. So fun.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Xeen is great, but I still hold 7 to be the peak of the series.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
7 is the only other one in the running, that's for sure. If you are gaga for 3 like me, Xeen is the best. If you liked 6, 7 is the best. You shouldn't deny yourself either Xeen or For Blood and Honor. They are both really good. 7's endgame is the best "holy poo poo I can destroy the world" RPG gameplay ever. You go from pointy sticks to flying over the land killing anything in your field of view.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.

Choppable posted:

Donate enough and you can party with John Romero!

Based on some emails with John, I think Brenda is his fiance. We were poking fun at him asking when he was going to do his Kickstarter, looks like he took it to heart.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Not exactly old-school in age but in spirit, Nethergate: Resurrection, one of Spiderweb Software's RPGs, was made available on Steam just today.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
What's the best way to completely break Arcanum if I just want to play it for the story and have no interest in learning the combat?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What's the best way to completely break Arcanum if I just want to play it for the story and have no interest in learning the combat?

Play an elven wizard and learn the harm spell. It's available in character creation.

That's it. You're good to go!

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
:siren: Since my favourite old school game is on sale, its time for some :gifttank:
Giving away 5 copies of Quest for Glory 1-5. Post a valid email address!

To the winners: If you are new to QfG I'd suggest starting with 1remake, then download AGD Interactives remake of 2, then continue through the series. 3 & 4 are by far the best.

Gifting an additional 5 in the GoG thread. Ill send the gifts later tonight (in about 12 hours). Is there anyway to gift a game multiple times from Gog in the same transaction?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

dud root posted:

:siren: Since my favourite old school game is on sale, its time for some :gifttank:

To the winners: If you are new to QfG I'd suggest starting with 1remake, then download AGD Interactives remake of 2, then continue through the series. 3 & 4 are by far the best.

Gifting an additional 5 in the GoG thread. Ill send the gifts later tonight (in about 12 hours). Is there anyway to gift a game multiple times from Gog in the same transaction?

Wow, thanks! I was always interested in these. E-mail is Spincut at gmail dot com.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

dud root posted:

I'll take one, it's been on wishlist for a while! peanutbutterjug AT gmail.com Thanks!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

dud root posted:

Oh hey, I'd really like to try these classics. I love me many of the Sierra classics but I've always overlooked QfG somehow.

dommbot at yahoo dot com

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

dud root posted:

Ooh, I'd love one, neongrey at gmail, always grey with an e. Thanks a million, I missed out on QFG entirely back in the day.

thekodfish
Oct 31, 2010
Yam Slacker

dud root posted:

I've always been interested in these, since they're apparently the Sierra games with the least insane puzzles. Thanks a lot!

coltinn@okstate.edu

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Fintilgin posted:

Play an elven wizard and learn the harm spell. It's available in character creation.

That's it. You're good to go!

More specifically, you should also take the character background "sold your soul for magickal power"

it's about what it sounds like.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

dud root posted:

Giving away 5 copies of Quest for Glory 1-5.

You're awesome.

borf
Apr 5, 2006
I got the GoG Might and Magic collection, and am very new to the series. What are some general gameplay/mechanics/classes to avoid/all around tips to get started on these? Not looking for a walkthrough or spoilers, just getting a good party off the ground. I'd have posted in the "what should I know..." thread, but this crowd here seems better suited to it. Oh, and I'll be starting with III since that seems to be the general consensus of where to start.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

andrew smash posted:

More specifically, you should also take the character background "sold your soul for magickal power"

it's about what it sounds like.

Yeah, serious post:

The key to playing a mage is that increasing your magical aptitude increases the power of your spells. Harm is a powerful damage spell that can be cast extremely quickly for low mana, and it scales up as you become a more powerful wizard. A big benefit of buying spells that aren't Harm is that they make Harm more powerful.

1.) Play an elf.
2.) Take a background that boost your magical aptitude.
3.) Spam harm.
4.) Kill everything easily.
5.) If you want, pick up a secondary combat skill for when you're low on mana. I took throwing because it kept me away from creatures. Throwing chakras were also overpowered.

Seriously. I played a harm wizard my first time playing Arcanum, and it was so easy it was one of the easiest RPGs I've ever played.

Focus stat points on the stat that increases your mana (will?) and your dexterity so you can cast harm more each turn. You will be borderline invincible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If you're playing a Harm spammer, set the combat mode to real-time and kill things as fast as you can click! But don't click too much or you'll run out of mana and fall flat on your rear end.