Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
With all this FM tuner talk I decided to google it and went to an xda developer forum. Holy poo poo, why does every single person have a "sent from some bullshit with a phone some app" thing at the end of their posts? I thought it was snarky to have the iPhone thing, but specifically mentioning what keyboard you have on what android rom is spergy as gently caress.

Sent from one of my six iPads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's dickwaving, of course. On the hardcore leet gamer forums they all have signatures that brag about their machines with quad SLI and F4tal1ty-approved network cards and liquid sodium cooling systems. On car forums it's all the sick turbos and stance kits and subs and amps and nos shots. On XDA it's cell phones.

Sent from my Dell Precision M4700 2.7GHz 3.7turbo boost Quadro K2000M 16GB RAM 128GB SSD fingerprint reader IPS-A-screen (15.4" 1.04Gcolors 110% gamut sRGB) Win7Pro build 118912.31aA(dev alpha)

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I don't know.

Sent from my mom's basement.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

It is essentially hivemind dickwaving and advertising so that <car/computer/xda>bros can feel welcome.

Sent from my American Indian translated from encoded 8bit smoke signals with o-ring smoke-shapes.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have a signature on my corporate email that tells people when I am replying or sending a message from my phone so they'll know I'm not in the office.

It comes in handy, but going so far as to put the phone model and os version is a bit spergy.

Sent from the 11th floor men's room, third stall.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

it's better than those animated logos that say things like "aim user", "xbox player", "power bottom" , "computer operator".

in on-topic discussion : I've been searching for an app that'll provide me a clean homescreen widget with social media updates. Facebook and Twitter's never update the way they should. Plume is pretty good, and behaves almost the way i want. Has anyone had this issue and found a solution ? I want something clean and minimalist (like glass widgets) with twitter and facebook and poo poo.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 9, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Cojawfee posted:

With all this FM tuner talk I decided to google it and went to an xda developer forum. Holy poo poo, why does every single person have a "sent from some bullshit with a phone some app" thing at the end of their posts? I thought it was snarky to have the iPhone thing, but specifically mentioning what keyboard you have on what android rom is spergy as gently caress.

Sent from one of my six iPads.

Mostly because it's turned on by default in the official xda app and most of those fuckwits can't be arsed to turn it off to clean up the forum a bit. Also, dick waving.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there a good way to learn when Google Play has sales and what those sales are?

Tleilaxu
Oct 7, 2010

Pray your Gods who ask you for your blood. For They are strong and angry, jealous Ones.

C-Euro posted:

Is there a good way to learn when Google Play has sales and what those sales are?

I've been using AppSales, which isn't bad, but if anyone knows of anything better I'd like to know about them, too.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
App Sales. Someone recommended it here, don't recall who, I've used it for a while and have no complaints. I don't think it's missed any sales while I've been using it.

e: beaten, I'll add that this thread, the android games thread, and the coupons and deals RSS are the only other sources I use. I haven't seen anything that those caught that App Sales has missed.

Jervas Dudley fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 9, 2012

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo, why does every single person have a "sent from some bullshit with a phone some app" thing at the end of their posts?
My tablet appends this to all of my emails, etc (shamelessly stolen from somewhere on SA):

-Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nerdrock posted:

it's better than those animated logos that say things like "aim user", "xbox player", "power bottom" , "computer operator".

in on-topic discussion : I've been searching for an app that'll provide me a clean homescreen widget with social media updates. Facebook and Twitter's never update the way they should. Plume is pretty good, and behaves almost the way i want. Has anyone had this issue and found a solution ? I want something clean and minimalist (like glass widgets) with twitter and facebook and poo poo.
Android Pro Widgets.

If this weren't sent via my Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean, I'd have provided a link.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Android Pro Widgets.

If this weren't sent via my Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean, I'd have provided a link.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Sent from my work computer Dell XPS 8100 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7CPU 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Tleilaxu posted:

I've been using AppSales, which isn't bad, but if anyone knows of anything better I'd like to know about them, too.

I too would like to know about something better because I found AppSales to be pretty awful after a couple weeks. It missed a lot of stuff but boy it was great at finding the completely worthless ones.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
This thread is huge, so I may have missed this discussion - are there any IM clients that don't involve giving all your IM account info to "Pete's PushServer Ltd, Mom's Basment, BFE." ?

If not, I guess I'll be looking into that new google cloud push API and writing my own.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Trillian's trust-worthy, they've been around for ages. Plus no one cares about your yahoo IM password.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The funny thing is that the general public is going to see Random McGoon's IM app and assume he's just going to steal their IM passwords.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Harik posted:

This thread is huge, so I may have missed this discussion - are there any IM clients that don't involve giving all your IM account info to "Pete's PushServer Ltd, Mom's Basment, BFE." ?

If not, I guess I'll be looking into that new google cloud push API and writing my own.

IMO? It asks you if you want to make an account on their network, but you can skip it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

Android Pro Widgets.

APW caused lots of hangs and force closes for me. I have yet to find any way to usably interact with facebook on my phone, since the official app is a flaming pile of dumpster babies.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

APW caused lots of hangs and force closes for me. I have yet to find any way to usably interact with facebook on my phone, since the official app is a flaming pile of dumpster babies.
I don't use Facebook so you might be right. I could have sworn the last update to APW was to address Facebook issues but I could be imagining things.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

APW has not caused me issues thus far. I bought a license and loaded up the "timeline" widget, and it's been smooth. Only issue is that I set it so it launches facebook in a browser when you tap on facebook poo poo, and it goes to an error page.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Nerdrock posted:

APW has not caused me issues thus far. I bought a license and loaded up the "timeline" widget, and it's been smooth. Only issue is that I set it so it launches facebook in a browser when you tap on facebook poo poo, and it goes to an error page.

That's configurable. I have mine set to open posts in the Facebook app. When you go into the widget settings, there should be a "open posts with" or similar setting.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

brc64 posted:

That's configurable. I have mine set to open posts in the Facebook app. When you go into the widget settings, there should be a "open posts with" or similar setting.

Yeah. That's what I said. I set it so it launches with the web browser, which is what I want. The problem with that is that it launches an incorrect URL in the browser. In settings you choose "Integrate With" , with the option of mobile web, full web, Facebook for Android, and a bunch of other stuff. The other options all work, but "Full Web", which is what I'd chosen, brings you to Facebook to a "The page you requested was not found".

I'm sure that's just a small issue that will be remedied soon.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

QPZIL posted:

The funny thing is that the general public is going to see Random McGoon's IM app and assume he's just going to steal their IM passwords.

Heh, I have no intention of putting a server out there for people to use, if I released at all I'd just open-source the server and let people setup their own. My audience would be strictly limited to neckbeard-types. I did a tcpdump on IM+ and all the traffic is hitting google's push server, so I'm not sure how that's integrating.

It's not that I expect the server operators to steal my passwords, it's that I expect them to be utterly incompetent, leak every password at once and cause me a huge amount of hassle doing account recoveries.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Harik posted:

It's not that I expect the server operators to steal my passwords, it's that I expect them to be utterly incompetent, leak every password at once and cause me a huge amount of hassle doing account recoveries.

This is almost always why you should be worried about giving companies your passwords and why you should use unique passwords. I don't expect them to do something nefarious with my password, I expect them to get hacked in some manner and have my password leaked to Bad People.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
"I trust you with my wallet, I just don't like that you keep dropping it out the windows."

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Are there any app review sites worth remembering? There seems to be a billion apps or widgets for any search, and the internet is full of 'this week's top 27 awesomest apps!' pages. Lifehacker seems to have some decent/interesting android stuff but it's a bit sparse compared to their PC coverage. What's everyone's go-to when you want to find a thing to do a thing?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Are there any app review sites worth remembering? There seems to be a billion apps or widgets for any search, and the internet is full of 'this week's top 27 awesomest apps!' pages. Lifehacker seems to have some decent/interesting android stuff but it's a bit sparse compared to their PC coverage. What's everyone's go-to when you want to find a thing to do a thing?
Now that Grimbo's blog is gone I don't know of any. I'm guessing you mean something a bit more in depth than AppBrain.

AndroidPolice does app and game roundups every week but it's hardly easy to search or look through except as they come.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Just as an fyi, grimbo.com is not the old android blog... I wanted a laugh, but from a few seconds on the site it looks like it'll be nsfw.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

baka kaba posted:

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but Appstorm has a lot of really good in-depth reviews of apps, with the occasional high-quality themed roundup (like "40 apps for the aspiring accountant" or "30 apps for the college student"). Definitely worth tossing into your Google Reader subscriptions.

deong posted:

Just as an fyi, grimbo.com is not the old android blog... I wanted a laugh, but from a few seconds on the site it looks like it'll be nsfw.

http://appmana.com/

tokki g
Aug 18, 2004
Does anyone know of a good ADHD app? My friend got "crazy busy" for her iphone and said it's helped her a lot with focusing on tasks etc. The developer has an app for the android, but it only contains some quizzes and stuff and not the other features. I was hoping someone on here might know of something that could be useful. Thanks!

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
Do I need an app to get my Nexus 7 to play video files from a USB thumbdrive? If so, whats a good app for it? I don't want to root it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Do I need an app to get my Nexus 7 to play video files from a USB thumbdrive? If so, whats a good app for it? I don't want to root it.
Here you go.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

You also need a USB OTG cable (like $2) if you don't have one.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
Thank you.

Sendo posted:

You also need a USB OTG cable (like $2) if you don't have one.
Yeah I knew I was gonna need one so I already bought one. Thanks though.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Nerdrock posted:

Yeah. That's what I said. I set it so it launches with the web browser, which is what I want. The problem with that is that it launches an incorrect URL in the browser. In settings you choose "Integrate With" , with the option of mobile web, full web, Facebook for Android, and a bunch of other stuff. The other options all work, but "Full Web", which is what I'd chosen, brings you to Facebook to a "The page you requested was not found".

I'm sure that's just a small issue that will be remedied soon.
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. Are you using a tablet? I can't imagine using the full site on a regular basis being a pleasant experience on a phone...

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

brc64 posted:

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. Are you using a tablet? I can't imagine using the full site on a regular basis being a pleasant experience on a phone...

Nope.. Just the Samsung GS3. The official facebook app is just so lovely, that the regular website is the least horrible facebook experience you can get on the device.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The mobile website's pretty great, certainly 10 times better than trying to use the full version on a tiny screen.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Some tweets the other day from techies reported a "better" Facebook Android app is very close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Siroc posted:

Some tweets the other day from techies reported a "better" Facebook Android app is very close.

The latest couple updates that changed the UI look made a big difference in speed too, it's at least usable now.

• Locked thread